Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Southampton, respect where it's due.

Read 12031 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Re: Southampton, respect where it's due.
      Reply #23: Oct 26, 2014 12:34:02 pm
      Looked very impressive on MOTD last night, as mentioned they have rebuilt after losing several key men - we get 85m for Suarez and we're fu**ed!?!?

Koeman has boxed very clever with the funds he was given & boy have they worked out well for him the club & team, you would think Pelle, Tadic & Alderweireld all were season PL players! they have fitted into the system & style of Koemans play.

Southampton have done very well from us & we have done poorly in return.
      « Last Edit: Oct 26, 2014 12:48:06 pm by Shabs »
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #24: Oct 27, 2014 06:36:10 am
      Think they were most people's second team last season. Loved watching them. Good to see they've kept it up.

My Anfield tour guide was a Southampton fan and he was lovely, too. Talked to him for half an hour about football.

Dusan Tadic looks absolutely brilliant. Pelle looks a f**king beast. Nat Clyne....I'm his biggest fan.

Don't forget the Schneiderlin lad. The one player from Saints I really wanted Brendan to have a go at.
      They knew who their most important player was and didn't let him leave.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #25: Oct 27, 2014 11:15:27 pm
      Very, very impressive.  Bit jealous with the way they go about their business, too.  They buy cheap, proven players from the continent for pennies.  Then sell big.

Would love to see them nip 4th as long as they're below us.

But I was thinking about this today, wouldn't their ground be too small for CL matches?  correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some sort of minimum capacity rule for CL games?  40,000 or something?  I think theirs is below 30,000, isn't it?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #26: Oct 27, 2014 11:21:56 pm
      But I was thinking about this today, wouldn't their ground be too small for CL matches?  correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some sort of minimum capacity rule for CL games?  40,000 or something?  I think theirs is below 30,000, isn't it?

Err what the hell have you been smoking?! Never heard such rubbish.

So how do you explain Basel at 38000, Monaco 18500, Apoel 22000 or even Panathinaikos at 16000?!

The only minimum capacity thing for the competition is when Platini said he wanted the final to be held in stadiums of like 70000.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #27: Oct 27, 2014 11:28:22 pm
      Err what the hell have you been smoking?! Never heard such rubbish.

hmm... weird, I could have sworn I heard something about that---maybe it was for the Euro 2016 matches.

Or maybe it was the "ranking" or "quality" of the stadiums; I remember that Otelul club in Romania had their stadium ruled ineligible for some reason (capacity of about 10,000 I believe) and so they played their games in Bucharest.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #28: Oct 27, 2014 11:33:30 pm
      hmm... weird, I could have sworn I heard something about that---maybe it was for the Euro 2016 matches.

Or maybe it was the "ranking" or "quality" of the stadiums; I remember that Otelul club in Romania had their stadium ruled ineligible for some reason (capacity of about 10,000 I believe) and so they played their games in Bucharest.

You really make me chuckle at times Fed. ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #29: Oct 27, 2014 11:39:46 pm

Was this what you were maybe looking at pal? It's only from Wikipedia but it is something;

Although the minimum stadium capacity for category four is 8,000, no stadium with a capacity less than 40,000 has been selected to host a UEFA Europa League Final, and no stadium with a capacity less than 60,000 has been selected to host a UEFA Champions League Final, since these regulations were introduced in 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories

Maybe it was the standard of the stadium in general because if it's the club I looked up they have capacity  of 13500 and couldn't see anything about having to play elsewhere.

Either way, I'm sure Southampton have a stadium more than adequate of being in the Champions League and will give them credit, I've been there a few times and it is pretty nice. Certainly no Anfield though that's for sure!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #30: Oct 27, 2014 11:43:16 pm
      I'm fairly certain by the end of the season they won't have to worry if their stadium is up to standard
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #31: Oct 27, 2014 11:56:43 pm
      I'm fairly certain by the end of the season they won't have to worry if their stadium is up to standard

Think you're right, they have some tough fixtures coming up and I can see them slipping and finishing similar to last season.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #32: Oct 27, 2014 11:58:57 pm
      Think you're right, they have some tough fixtures coming up and I can see them slipping and finishing similar to last season.

I think so, once players wake up to the signings they have made and start watching how they can stop them playing..

I genuinely think they will struggle to get results in the second half of the season
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #33: Oct 28, 2014 12:05:08 am

;D

They are a good side but I agree Jon.

Mid table somewhere likely at the end of the season. Still good for a club like Southampton.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #34: Oct 28, 2014 11:26:36 am
      Something is right with their coaching/scouts though.
      Indeed.  ;D

Although slightly 'tongue-in-cheek', I wrote this in July:

"Tell you what tho: irrespective of whether or not this is true, or we do or don't sign the lad... when this window closes, the club should seriously consider going back to raid Southampton... For their scouts (maybe even their youth coaches) - Brendan obviously rates them very highly."

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,46439.msg1648653.html#msg1648653

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #35: Oct 28, 2014 12:02:17 pm
      That Tadic looks quite a player for a team that fancies to attack (us) how can you go past an attacking midfielder who scored 16 goals and had over 20 assists last season granted it was the Eredivise but at 10.9m it is low risk.

Crazy.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36: Nov 25, 2014 02:18:26 pm
      Was watching Southampton's game yesterday as well as their last few games with the intention of focusing on Schneiderlin. I really really really can't believe he wasn't our 1st or 2nd choice this summer. Something about him that reminds me of Vieira. I think he could be better than Matic too.

Just curious, anyone here watch Schneiderlin much? am I over hyping him? How is he in big games? Always thought he was a good player, but I admit, I never really focused on him until this season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #37: Nov 25, 2014 02:43:51 pm
      Reality check for them coming up in their ganes now. They will either sink or swim.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #38: Nov 25, 2014 02:53:47 pm
      Reality check for them coming up in their ganes now. They will either sink or swim.

They are only a couple of injuries away to key players from dropping down the table I feel. But if like us last season they are lucky enough to go injury free for the season they will finish in the top 6.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #39: Jan 07, 2015 03:40:03 pm
      I've decided to irrationally attribute ALL of Southampton's success this season to the fact Sammy Lee is the assistant manager. Nice one, Sammy!
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #40: Jan 07, 2015 09:32:23 pm
      Well in Sammy :)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #41: Jan 11, 2015 06:02:41 pm
      I've decided to irrationally attribute ALL of Southampton's success this season to the fact Sammy Lee is the assistant manager. Nice one, Sammy!

SAMMY! ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #42: Jan 11, 2015 06:10:41 pm
      Something tells me they sent us the wrong person when we asked for a Southampton centre back :D
      Begs
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 112 posts | 13 
      Reply #43: Jan 12, 2015 03:32:52 am
      Something tells me they sent us the wrong person when we asked for a Southampton centre back :D

hahaha this is funny

But I agree, I think the do deserve some credit. They have played most of this season and any team that can go into Old Trafford and pull out a win deserves, if nothing else, respect.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #44: Jan 12, 2015 10:21:41 am
      So we handed them almost £50m in the summer and all we got out of it was Lallana, essentially.

And then if they qualify for CL they'll get another £40m from BT for the TV rights.

So they earned £90m without actually losing any key components to their team.

now THAT is how you do business John Henry.

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #45: Jan 12, 2015 11:20:58 am
      So we handed them almost £50m in the summer and all we got out of it was Lallana, essentially.

And then if they qualify for CL they'll get another £40m from BT for the TV rights.

So they earned £90m without actually losing any key components to their team.

now THAT is how you do business John Henry.

Hindsight Fed mate.

Lovren had a great season and was highly rated.

Don't forget the Luke Shaw figure in your sums too...

Quick Reply