Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Chelsea v Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 28761 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Chelsea v Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #345: Oct 26, 2008 08:29:58 pm
      Super super win. I feared that we would sit back to hold for a 1 nil but in the second half we were quality. One man team my arse thats the champions of the last 4 years bet without Torres. We ended there near 5 year unbeaten home record and, yes im serious, we can play better!! Everyone done there job but special praise for Alonso and Riera and Babel when he came on done a great job. Well done Rafa for sending the boys out 2nd half to be positive. Now lets see this season out and bring that titlehome boys 
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #346: Oct 26, 2008 08:53:09 pm
      They had nothing to scare us with I didnt think they were up to much to be honest .
      Great feeling after that result ,
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #347: Oct 26, 2008 09:03:27 pm
      could,nt agree more cad,they were out of idea,s after the goal,rafa got it spot on today.our midfield and defence were outstanding.
      carragher was a imovable object...brilliant a grat day all round
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #348: Oct 26, 2008 09:14:47 pm
      I love it when a plan comes together and today I must say I was really impressed with our game, we played a blinder at the back and never really looked like conceding (except from their offside goal)

Carra deserved to get MOTM he worked his socks off as usual and when they did pose a threat he just threw himself at them again and again, can't wait until they come to Anfield ;D we should see some interesting football their too!  Reira was also another player who impressed today getting out wide and taking on 2,3 players at a time to keep the ball, more of that please lad!

When you take an early lead it's always gonna be difficult to hold on as you know they could make half time changes and come back out like a bat out of hell, not today! they looked like they had a point to prove and failed miserably.  Even when Cole or Deco did get half a chance they still lacked ability to cause any real danger and eventually the rest of the team had to chip in and end up getting yellows for their efforts!

Also what about that foul on Reina? although that was the only time Terry had anything to do and he still messed up!

Well done lads we smashed their unbeaten record and I believe Scolari's first defeat as Chelsea manager too? ha just keep away from us in the CL or there will be trouble.

Great result, I might have to mention it to the boss too!
      DuWolfy
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #349: Oct 26, 2008 10:06:49 pm
      Anyone got the match on RS/MS/MU or torrent ? My m8's are serving in iraq an would love a copy of the match
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #350: Oct 26, 2008 10:19:18 pm
      All the build up was "can Chelsea go all season unbeaten?" Well no they F***ing can't but we can, we've taken Chelsea's home record and now we're on the way to taking Arsenal's unbeaten 49 games record.

That too is so possible. All we need to do right now is keep winning games and not dropping too many 2 points. I feel we can beat Man U at Ol' Trafford, Chelsea will get beaten at Anfield again! Good Stuff

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #351: Oct 27, 2008 03:07:07 am
      As long as we don't lose to anyone outside the big 4 and win at least 17 of the 19 home games. We drew one already with Stoke.

The whole team played very well. The back four played very well and Chelsea hardly got a shot to Pepe Reina. Benitez was smart to bring on Hyypia as Chelsea were sending more long balls to the Liverpool goal box in order to get an equaliser. Carragher defended with his life ;D. The only problem was Bosingwa had too much time and space on our left. Deco kept switching over to him like 5 times.

The midfielders were awesome. Masch, and his good run to goal. Kuyt, Stevie with their very close shots and Riera outmuscled most of the Chelsae guys who came up against him. Xabi? No doubt about him. He had a great game last night. Babel also had a good shot.

And almost all of our players were in the game. Lampard seemed to disappear along with Anelka and Malouda.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #352: Oct 27, 2008 03:30:19 am
      Had time to settle down, thats failed miserably. I'm still as buzzed as 12 hours ago. What a fantastic game, some football that took my breath away and the defence was that of warriors.

Reina - not much to do but he had a great game and was very aware with the high balls coming down on his goal. Loved his little argy bargy with Terry.

Arbeloa - a good game from him, not too much more. Helped attack at times, did a reasonable job at the back.

Carragher - 10 out of 10 if i've ever seen it. Every single tackle he had to make, he did and put his body on the line several times. A class act and well deserved MOTM.

Agger - very impressive. He was comfortable on the ball, knew when to smack it clear or come out with it. A top performance.

Aurellio - again, like Arbeloa had a good game. Better in attack then defence, he often let Riera get into a good position to attack and run but his defence wasn't that good and with Bosingwa down the right, very lucky those balls he allowed him to put in to the box werent of high quality as usual.

Mascherano - It was midfield mayhem at times and he came to save the day. 10 out of 10 for him too, he was marvellous.

Alonso - Mr Reliable as of late, another flawless passing performance, a well deserved goal and unlucky free kick. A great game.

Gerrard - at times in defence he left something to be desired and when we were under the pump he seemed to daddle on the ball. However, in the second half when the full backs came up and runs were being made he played alot better and didnt have to go up alone. A great match from our skipper.

Riera - I'd say very close to best on pitch. His running was amazing, his ability to get past his man was at times breathtaking and had the technique and ability to dribble past 3 at a time. Best match for him so far IMO

Keane - sh*t.

Kuyt - Worked very hard as always and supported every attack. A fine game Dirk.

Babel - Electric off the bench. Really added what we needed up top and unlucky not to score. A thorn in their 'air-tight' defence.

Rafa got it spot on in this game, his tactics worked a treat and knew exactly what to do when. Brilliant play by our boss. IRWT

And the travelling Kop! What a performance by the fans. The Bridge isn't usually noisy and their fans are non existant but our lads really stepped it up and at times thought we were at home.

Undefeated, 3 points clear, worthy title contenders and on to manager-less Pompey where we have to keep this form up.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #353: Oct 27, 2008 03:41:51 am
      heheh, i guess i got my pre match formation spot on ;)

Re: Possible line up for chelsea game?
      « Reply #109 on: 21-10-2008, 09:24:13 »
         Remove message
      I still prefer this line up

---------------------Reina------------------------
      Arbeloa----Carragher----Agger-----Aurelio
      Kuyt-----Mascherano----Alonso-------Riera
      --------------------Gerrard-----------------------
      --------------------Keane-----------------------

Now we have beaten 2 of the big four without Torres, now i expect el nino to score 3 against West Brom  ;D
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #354: Oct 27, 2008 03:43:48 am
      Congratulations to Liverpool for beating an undermanned Chelsea side at Stamford Bridge. One feels without Cole, Ballack, Drogba, and Essien, Chelsea has a weak side today. Liverpool were missing Torres, and that does in all honesty make you wonder where a goal might come from. Indeed, the answer was found in an unfortunate deflection from a purely speculative shot. Alonso was quite brilliant today, and the free kick he hit the post with was a cracker. With Torres missing, you always felt Liverpools best chance of a goal was the set play, with Gerrard and Alonso's ability in this department.
      The amount of possession Chelsea had reminds us of Arsenal,  the inability to unlock a defense and score goals costing them the title once or twice in recent seasons. Chelsea have always seemed to find a way to graft out a 1-0 result, but not on this occasion.
      Watching Liverpool, I still think they are a fair way short of being title contenders. We have played 9 matches out of a 38 match season, so we are not quite 25% of the way. Liverpool were not able to keep the ball for any length of time, indicating a lack of the necessary class you will need to win a title. There will be times you are leading 1-0 and surrendering the ball so cheaply against the opponent will be punished. Just because Chelsea today could not score with 70% of the possession, does not mean other teams on other days wont.
      Man Utd this year have been slow out of the blocks, with injuries to Ronaldo, Hargreaves,Vidic and Paul Scholes all playing a part. Ronaldo has not fully recovered, which is showing in his play, and although Rooney and Berbatov are now hitting the scoring sheet, one feels there is much more improvement to come. Man Utd and Chelsea still look the pedigree in this competition, sharing the past 4 titles between them. Man Utd have dropped 9 points, Chelsea 7, and Liverpool only 4 points. Remember this, more than 75% of the season is still to come.  Last season Liverpool put together runs of 13, and 10 matches unbeaten, and still finished well of the pace. Come, late April, it will be Man Utd and Chelsea fighting out the race for the title, and as much as I would love to see Liverpool in the mix, I dont think this squad has the depth in class just yet.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #355: Oct 27, 2008 03:53:15 am
      Still buzzing from the win lets hope we can keep this up and go on to win the league. All together now FCUK OFF CHELSEA FC,YOU AINT GOT NO HISTORY................. ......................
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #356: Oct 27, 2008 04:15:09 am
      I thought we played well and it was fun to see Alonso score a Lampard-esq goal to win the game. It is crazy stat but we have not lost a game in the last two and half years when we score the first goal (they said it on Friday Football Show) so I was pretty happy to see us score early. I think today we put out a serious statement of intent in the title race, now it is time to see if we can keep it up.

Well I hope we enjoy the win for a little while but really we have to keep this going because from now til Dec 21 when we play Arsenal away we have 8 or 9 very winnable fixtures and try to break the hex of poor Novembers when we have suffer from every season under Rafa. Though by the way Rafa seems to be breaking all these negative points from previous seasons I hope it can continue :D

« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2008 04:20:24 am by adammac »
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #357: Oct 27, 2008 04:23:45 am
      My mate and work colleague is in Liverpool right now on holidays from Australia. He was going to a few games, so I hope he got to this one. He comes on this board quite a lot, and his name is Ian. If he is watching, congratulation to your team Ian, and I will see you back in Oz in a couple of weeks. Best wishes from Barrymanulow. 
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #358: Oct 27, 2008 04:50:06 am
      Watching Liverpool, I still think they are a fair way short of being title contenders. We have played 9 matches out of a 38 match season, so we are not quite 25% of the way. Liverpool were not able to keep the ball for any length of time, indicating a lack of the necessary class you will need to win a title.

Whatever you say mate ...

Although ... with our 'star' player missing, we've beaten both Chelsea away (which NO EPL team has managed in nearly 5 years) and ManUre - the supposed 'Champions' at home. And we're STILL yet to hit top gear. If that's not the sign of pure contention for this title, I have no idea what is. Would you like an unbeaten run of 30 games? It can be arranged.

BTW, not related to Andy Gray are you? ::)
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #359: Oct 27, 2008 07:54:56 am
      Outstanding display from the lads!! Although they had more possession they never really hurt us and thought we always looked more likely to score another goal!!! Thought Carragher, Alonso and Mascherano were outstanding! Yet again though, Rafa got the tactics spot on!! Let them have the ball, especially in wide areas and we will deal with it when it gets knocked into the box, which Agger and Carragher did admirably!!!

Lets make sure we now use this momentum and dispose of Pompey and Spurs in the next week!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #360: Oct 27, 2008 07:56:20 am
      Congratulations to Liverpool for beating an undermanned Chelsea side at Stamford Bridge. One feels without Cole, Ballack, Drogba, and Essien, Chelsea has a weak side today. Liverpool were missing Torres, and that does in all honesty make you wonder where a goal might come from. Indeed, the answer was found in an unfortunate deflection from a purely speculative shot. Alonso was quite brilliant today, and the free kick he hit the post with was a cracker. With Torres missing, you always felt Liverpools best chance of a goal was the set play, with Gerrard and Alonso's ability in this department.
      The amount of possession Chelsea had reminds us of Arsenal,  the inability to unlock a defense and score goals costing them the title once or twice in recent seasons. Chelsea have always seemed to find a way to graft out a 1-0 result, but not on this occasion.
      Watching Liverpool, I still think they are a fair way short of being title contenders. We have played 9 matches out of a 38 match season, so we are not quite 25% of the way. Liverpool were not able to keep the ball for any length of time, indicating a lack of the necessary class you will need to win a title. There will be times you are leading 1-0 and surrendering the ball so cheaply against the opponent will be punished. Just because Chelsea today could not score with 70% of the possession, does not mean other teams on other days wont.
      Man Utd this year have been slow out of the blocks, with injuries to Ronaldo, Hargreaves,Vidic and Paul Scholes all playing a part. Ronaldo has not fully recovered, which is showing in his play, and although Rooney and Berbatov are now hitting the scoring sheet, one feels there is much more improvement to come. Man Utd and Chelsea still look the pedigree in this competition, sharing the past 4 titles between them. Man Utd have dropped 9 points, Chelsea 7, and Liverpool only 4 points. Remember this, more than 75% of the season is still to come.  Last season Liverpool put together runs of 13, and 10 matches unbeaten, and still finished well of the pace. Come, late April, it will be Man Utd and Chelsea fighting out the race for the title, and as much as I would love to see Liverpool in the mix, I dont think this squad has the depth in class just yet.

Your idiocy is evident in the highighted parts.

Firstly, i have seen Xabi take one free kick before this and it was crap. He can't put a decent corner in so i dont know you came to the assessment of his ability from just one great hit.

When they had the ball, alot of it was in midfield and not our final third which you are trying to portray. Their play in the final third lacked any class at all, noted by the sheer difference in shots on target.

We've had injuries to Gerrard, Alonso, Keane, Torres, Skrtel, Babel and Mascherano yet are we sulking and relying on that as a back up excuse should we lose? No. We are undefeated still.

You say they look the pedegree in his competition yet highlight we have dropped less points and in the process beat both of them without Gerrard and Torres against Scum and without Torres against Chelsea.

If your going to talk bullshit, make it make sense please.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #361: Oct 27, 2008 08:12:08 am
      Well that was a fantastic display by the mighty REDS,It did my old heart good to see such commitment and we thoroughly deserved the 3 points.Thank God  we did not sell Alonso he is back to his best and that free kick of his deserved a goal as did the effort from Stevie Gerrard.After that display we need fear no team,after all we are LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #362: Oct 27, 2008 08:13:26 am
      Still smiling this morning  ;D  No-one can upset me today  ;)
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #363: Oct 27, 2008 08:19:47 am
      F***ing fantastic what a great result!!!!
      Gerrard out played Fatty and showed he is number 1!!! Carra and Agger as i said earlier in the thread were key to winning this game and they stepped up to the plate and performed like absolute Champs. Carra man of the match for me.
      We destroyed there midfield and there record well chuffed.
      And as said earlier those F***ing wankers commentating can go F**k them selves they were so clearly biased and almost cheering Chelski on!!
      Well in lads!!!!!!!  
      ricohman
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 39 posts |
      Reply #364: Oct 27, 2008 08:59:15 am
      Just want to say well done lads, best game I've seen for ages, some of the passing and movement was breathtaking, and Carra was excellent.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #365: Oct 27, 2008 09:20:27 am
      What a game that was for us then. We should have won at least 2 - 0 though ;)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8saBMgVJvKQ
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #366: Oct 27, 2008 10:07:50 am
      what i was particularly impressed with was our ball retention and close passing accuracy....it was spot on and always makes a big difference if you dont give the ball away. it humiliates the other team and makes them lose confidence.........
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #367: Oct 27, 2008 10:14:57 am
      Still smiling this morning  ;D  No-one can upset me today  ;)

Same here Smiggs!

Not much room on the back pages for us though with Tottenham winning match! ::) Top of the league will do though I suppose! :D

22 posts. -37 karma! :lmao:

This is a Liverpool forum mate. ;)

Chelsea, considering they had injuries, were hardly hard done by in terms of players. We were the team who felt at a disadvantage with Torres missing. So did everyone else coincidentally. We were never penned to win this match, even with Chelsea's missing superstars.

And they had enough of the ball to break us down and make something out of the match for themselves. It wouldn't have mattered whether they had Jesus at left back and Pele up front. They were never taking anything from that match.

And you say we have no chance this season and United and Chelsea will be the ones fighting it out come May? None of us can prove you're wrong yet, but to come on here and basically rubbish our outstanding start to the season. What do you want? 8-0 wins week in week out? A hat trick from a different player each match, Reina included?

Can't please them all though can you? ::)

Quick Reply