Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

All Good Things Come To An End... (Only To Begin Again Mind You)

Read 1225 times
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 608 posts |
      All Good Things Come To An End... (Only To Begin Again Mind You)
      Nov 01, 2008 08:50:03 pm
      Well it had to end sometime, and so it has against a side that until a week ago didnā€™t know whether they were coming or going.
      That said Liverpool probably have only themselves to blame for letting a game in which they were pretty much in charge of slip away and turn to dust and result in the end of a marvelous run of unbeaten gamesā€¦

There was a spell when Liverpool were dominating and were consistently just inches wide of the mark, with the likes of Gerrard and goal scorer Kuyt coming so close to adding to Pools initial lead that at that point I said to friend who I was watching the game with ā€œI hope they are not been profligate with these chances and donā€™t come to regret not taking themā€ā€¦well, first in went the Carra OG for the equalizer (that one will be stinging Mr. True Red himself for a while me thinks), then the icing in the form of the at-the-death winner, and Tottenham had completed their feat and become Liverpool in disguise.

The margins for any team looking to win this championship will, come May prove to be very slight indeed. It will basically come down to the team with the least amount of cock-ups over the long stretch, and letā€™s face it- this is one heck of a mighty cock-up!

We have let Chelsea back in, and while itā€™s all well and good that we did the impossible by beating them in their own backyard, of what point is it throwing a game away; two games latter to a team that provide us (or at least should do so) of the meat and veg of three valuable points?

Unlike most I am not interested in this sit on the fence notion of, ā€˜been happy if Liverpool at least challenge for the title while not expecting them to go on and win itā€™ā€¦ bollocks to that! I crave the title. It has been far too long, and we have been also-rans in the Premiership so many times it, letā€™s admit it pretty much physically hurts!
      But getting some perspective back, the bounce back to earth after a string of mind bogglingly good results should remind all involved with the club, should any actually need reminding, that the hard work to continue in cementing and building on the foundations already laid for this season would come to nothing were we not able to chalk this down to an extremely bad day at the office and look forward to bouncing back emphatically.

We cannot afford any further blunders, and frankly with the glee with which Chelsea and Man U fans greeted this result, no one will give a rats ass come May that we topped the table for a few weeks and ā€˜gave it a right goā€™, and got one or two sweaty palms going from the main title contenders. Most especially Man U who, were they to win in May would finally equal the first division titles of this incredible club. (Donā€™t know about you, but the thought simply makes my stomach churn).

But if one were looking for positives, the first that springs to mind is that improvements are sure to come, and the evidence on the table thus far shows that with the likes of Torres almost ready to re-enter the fray, this team still looks pretty damn close to been the finished article in terms of been a championship winning side.
      I just hope the sky high confidence the players have built for themselves and a fair few number of us, isnā€™t so shattered by the next Premiership match day that we start doubting the players or worse still that they start doubting themselvesā€¦hey, call me foolish, but I donā€™t somehow think that will happen ;)
      « Last Edit: Nov 01, 2008 08:57:02 pm by JD, Reason: Post Tidied up Again »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Re: All Good Things Come To An End... Only to begin again
      Reply #1: Nov 01, 2008 08:56:05 pm
      We've gone about 17?? Premiership games undefeated.  That's solid.  If we go on that kind of run again then we'll be fine.

Title winning teams lose games.  Okay - it was pretty unfortunate the manner in which we lost but as I said earlier another 26 points from our next 11 games will be fine.

However I don't anticipate any more F**k ups, at least not in our next 6 gamers.  That should be 18 points on the board starting with a demolition of West Brom next week.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Re: All Good Things Come To An End...(Only To Begin Again Mind You)
      Reply #2: Nov 01, 2008 08:57:41 pm
      I love to get on line to my favourite forum right after a game and read something that fills my confidence back up . Lovely post Timi.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 608 posts |
      Re: All Good Things Come To An End... (Only To Begin Again Mind You)
      Reply #3: Nov 01, 2008 09:11:24 pm
      I love to get on line to my favourite forum right after a game and read something that fills my confidence back up . Lovely post Timi.
      I promise you its therapy ;), but thanks and glad to be of service...
      fanatic dee
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 114 posts |
      Reply #4: Nov 01, 2008 10:15:15 pm
      Maybe todays poor display will give everyone a shake up and inspire a bit more clinical finishing in front of goal.  ::)

Bring back Fernando!!!!!!  8)

It's all about how we react to this and the best way is to make all our supporters and the players forget about being beat by the bottom club in the division, is a good performance and a few goals against Atletico on Tuesday.

COME ON YOU REDMEN!!!!!!   :kop5cf8koxp6:  :clap:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5: Nov 01, 2008 11:31:08 pm
      You told me you'd be joint top at this time at the start of the season i would take it anyday
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: Nov 02, 2008 04:05:42 am
      We need to demolish West Brom like score at least 5. Our goal difference isn't very good. +8 goals.
      Well, we can't expect ourselves to go unbeaten a whole season, but losing to Tottenham wasn't what i had in mind. It was a game that must be won for me.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Nov 02, 2008 05:57:31 am
      Its time to show whether we have Championship quality or flop. It doesn't matter who u lose to (the bottom club in the league). The important thing is how we reacted to the defeat. U cannot do anything for the defeat, its history now. 3 points lost. Its a blessing in disguise.

We r good but not great yet. We can't last the whole season without defeat. We have chances but we can't put those away with ease yet. We need to kill them off when presented with the opportunity. Fortunately for us, we r still up there with the same points as Chelsea.

Our next game r in the Champions league then West Brom. That will be the decisive game for us. We MUST buried that especially its at Anfield. We must roar back from the defeat & goes on from there.

Looking forward to our next few game to see whether we r the genuine challenger or not.

Long Live The Reds.

Quick Reply