Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Steven Gerrard's "dive" and "loss of respect" for him

Read 18089 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Steven Gerrard's "dive" and "loss of respect" for him
      Reply #46: Nov 06, 2008 03:13:06 pm
      At one point of time in a player's career, he will dive. You can't expect everyone to be angels. I won't ever lose my respect for Stevie.

People are always remembered for all the best things they have done and for ONE stupid thing they do. Let's remember Stevie for all his milestones and records.
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #47: Nov 06, 2008 04:34:31 pm
      I just saw a comment on the BBC website saying someone had "lost a lot of respect" he had for Gerrard because of the penalty incident against Athletico Madrid.

I was wondering do you guys feel the same?

Is it alright to "play" for the penalty when you are desperate?

Can Gerrard ever comment on other "divers" again or will he be deemed to be a hypocrite?

I personally believe that he did dive and played for the penalty. It was a desperate time so I see why he did it. I hope he is honest and says the complete truth but I am not sure if he will.

Anywhere else on the pitch and the ref would have given a freekick. So therefore its a fcuking pen, the ref was fcuking mental anyways..
      red hat
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #48: Nov 06, 2008 06:38:30 pm
      This was a penalty simple.
      red hat
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #49: Nov 06, 2008 06:44:33 pm
      The Chelsea flirtations had a few people understandably questioning him fella, don't you forget! :D

All forgiven now of course! ;) ::)

It could be argued that he was using leveridge to boost the squad as well as his wages which were well behind other top players i dont think he ever needed forgiving.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #50: Nov 06, 2008 07:01:32 pm
      I honestly don't know if it should have been a penalty or not. Only seen it twice, once in full motion and once on slow motion. Full motion it did look a penalty but slow motion replay it didnt. However, this doesnt matter because we should of had a penalty earlier on and we didnt get it so it gets evened out in my eyes :).

Loss of respect!! What a joke, whatever liverpool fan has lost respect for gerrard then they arent a true fan. If we was to all lose respect for gerrard over 1 dive or whatever some people are classing it as then what the bloody hell should manure fans feel towards ronaldo ;D.
      Mildrop
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 207 posts |
      Reply #51: Nov 06, 2008 07:16:16 pm
      Stupid topic, lets start one called "Am I really a Liverpool Supporter"

/calls for thread lock and Banhammer
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #52: Nov 06, 2008 09:57:45 pm
      Didn't Ronaldo roll 20 or 30 yards down the pitch when he got tripped up by a Bitter?

... And people talk about this as if it's the world ending? Get over it ...
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #53: Nov 06, 2008 10:15:42 pm
      A local lad who has given all to the cause on numerous occasions no loss of respect and anyone who has should have a long think in a dark room, and if still of the same opinion go and support someone else ,end of.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #54: Nov 06, 2008 10:26:07 pm
      I couldn't make my mind up weather or not the athletico player has his eyes on the ball or Stevie and I've watched it seven or eight times. There was contact with his forearm which knocked stevie off balance when he was first to the ball. A dive ? More of a flop, probably tried to convince the ref, like they all do. Goal scoreing oportunity ? probably not, so the offending player wasn't sent off.  Ref's view ? not convincing so he asks his assitant who has a better view, and he says penalty.  Simple, There's nothing wrong with that, with one second at most to make a decision, right or wrong these sort of debateable decisions are made, probably in every game. Some in the penalty area, some not. Bonus if it goes your way, tough if there against,. Every side get's thier fair share of both throughout the season.  If West Brom get one on Sat and win 1 - 0 we'll be gutted. If they get one when we're 3 - 0 up we probably won't care too much. Thats football. Move on.
      simonmccreadie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #55: Nov 06, 2008 11:28:54 pm
      ridiculous. There was no 'Dive'. Sometimes you can go down easier than others, and i'm sure if someone had offered him a billion quid to stay on his feet he may have managed it. Not to mention after you've been running constantly for 95 minutes everything is a million times harder. Why would you make a massive effort to stay on your feet when there is nothing to gain from it? Another bit of magic from a world class footballer!
      irishmick
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #56: Nov 06, 2008 11:59:20 pm
      give the lad a break he plays week in and week out for the liverpool shirt and not for the money
      it was a pen  and fair play to the linesman that gave it he never dived nor would he ever cheat
      the lads a true red you need to  look at the tackle the defender had no chance of playing the
      ball stevie won the pen on his honesty in trying to get there first so please eough of calling him a cheat and diver and respect him for everything hes done for the club and fans  :f_steam:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #57: Nov 07, 2008 09:13:17 am
      Stupid topic, lets start one called "Am I really a Liverpool Supporter"

/calls for thread lock and Banhammer

I don't think the guys on about himself.
      Mildrop
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 207 posts |
      Reply #58: Nov 07, 2008 09:43:28 am
      I don't think the guys on about himself.

Agreed but this is a Liverpool forum for Liverpool supporters so why would we even want to comment on such inane drivell that was written in a tabloid newspaper about probablly one of the best footballers in the world
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #59: Nov 07, 2008 10:18:53 am
      You didnt get told to comment though pal. Everybody has the right to make a topic, he chose to make one about people slaggin gerrard off for diving. Nothing wrong with that, yes its a negative thing to be writing about but every topic deserves decent replies :). Give the guy a break ;D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #60: Nov 07, 2008 11:00:24 am
      In my opinion, it was a penalty. Why?
      1) The Ref gave it.
      2) The history books will say
      Liverpool            1-1      Atletico Madrid
      Gerrard (pen) 90+5         Maxi 37

Now if I was the ref (unbiased  ;D), would I have given the Pen, probally not, :o.
      But how mant weird decisions have gone against us?
      Chelsea Pen last year at Anfield
      Goal against Stoke
      Goals against Athletico in the first game...etc
      I think we could lay this to bed as the game is over, the final score was 1-1, whether Stevie "dived", or was fouled, or made the most of player contact, is irrelivant, other players have done this for years, we have moaned and guess what...the resulting goal still stood.
      So in all, well done for getting an equaliser and keeping us very close to the Knockout Stage.
      Mildrop
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 207 posts |
      Reply #61: Nov 07, 2008 11:17:25 am
      You didnt get told to comment though pal. Everybody has the right to make a topic, he chose to make one about people slaggin gerrard off for diving. Nothing wrong with that, yes its a negative thing to be writing about but every topic deserves decent replies :). Give the guy a break ;D

Correct I didn't get told to comment but I didn't know I was waiting for permission, Yes everybody does have the right to make a topic and yes it does deserve a decent reply.

So in reply "Please can you no longer post topics that I believe in my opinion do not further the support of the players that play for the club which I support, I find it hard enough to ignore the tabloids when they see fit to look for ways and means to bring our great clubs players down. I think that possibly the writer of the article was a supporter of a famous London club who have an overweight midfielder who plays in a similar role as Steven Gerrard. Therefore I give no credence to the article as it is only to be considered as pointless and only serves to make others feel they can claim an injustice when Liverpool are Champions of Europe......Again"

and by the way I'm not your 'Pal'
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #62: Nov 07, 2008 11:26:03 am
      In my opinion, it was a penalty. Why?
      1) The Ref gave it.
      2) The history books will say
      Liverpool            1-1      Atletico Madrid
      Gerrard (pen) 90+5         Maxi 37

Now if I was the ref (unbiased  ;D), would I have given the Pen, probally not, :o.
      But how mant weird decisions have gone against us?
      Chelsea Pen last year at Anfield
      Goal against Stoke
      Goals against Athletico in the first game...etc
      I think we could lay this to bed as the game is over, the final score was 1-1, whether Stevie "dived", or was fouled, or made the most of player contact, is irrelivant, other players have done this for years, we have moaned and guess what...the resulting goal still stood.
      So in all, well done for getting an equaliser and keeping us very close to the Knockout Stage.

An that just about sums up everything. About time we got luck and let others deal with it. Case closed.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #63: Nov 07, 2008 12:12:36 pm
      Correct I didn't get told to comment but I didn't know I was waiting for permission, Yes everybody does have the right to make a topic and yes it does deserve a decent reply.

So in reply "Please can you no longer post topics that I believe in my opinion do not further the support of the players that play for the club which I support, I find it hard enough to ignore the tabloids when they see fit to look for ways and means to bring our great clubs players down. I think that possibly the writer of the article was a supporter of a famous London club who have an overweight midfielder who plays in a similar role as Steven Gerrard. Therefore I give no credence to the article as it is only to be considered as pointless and only serves to make others feel they can claim an injustice when Liverpool are Champions of Europe......Again"

and by the way I'm not your 'Pal'

Its not up to you what somebody else posts about ;D. But then again it wasnt me that posted so im not bothered about that bit. If you want to ignore tabloids then why come on here because a lot of things on here are from tabloids too.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #64: Nov 07, 2008 12:23:33 pm
      You get luck in some games and you lose luck in others. Just that the penalty came in the wrong game for Atletico and right game for us.

This penalty is almost the same as the Malouda + Finnan last season. So we were unlucky there and we are lucky here.

Penalty or not? Dive or not? It's all gone, we score. look forward to next game and forget about this incident. This is no way to talk about our most loved player
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #65: Feb 02, 2009 11:56:13 pm
      Possibly another Dive in the Chelsea Game........  Dont like seeing it but as a player I can understand how sometimes it just happens when your working your tail off and you just don't see the play working you fall in defeat.  Plus all my friends are giving me way too much grief about his recent "dives".  he's still as hard balls as they come IMO
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #66: Feb 03, 2009 07:53:01 am
      I regret starting this thread, please may it be closed?
      Epicthunder
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 206 posts | -1 
      Reply #67: Feb 03, 2009 08:20:55 am
      no one can blame steven for diving when every single professional player does it! it's just a natural thing they do...even the slightest touch knocks them over.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #68: Feb 03, 2009 08:22:53 am
      The most decorated footballer this year is a career diver and a milker of all contact opportunities; and we have a topic about Gerrard diving?!! Gerrard is the hardest working midfielder, consistent goal-getter, team carrier and a team motivator.

Gerrard is the best. Diving is not an ingredient in his match-winning recipe.

Quick Reply