Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Title aspirations depend on Sunday

Read 1434 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Oct 20, 2006 06:36:05 pm
      You know how important Sunday's game is:

If we lose we won't recover a 11 point deficit.

Anyway, as much as I hate the blue nose gobs***e, Andy Gray's article from 365

The question being asked ahead of Liverpool's trip to Old Trafford this weekend is whether Rafa Benitez's side could still win the Premiership if they lose. I know that Sir Alex Ferguson has said that it is far too early to rule Liverpool out of the title race whatever the result on Sunday, but I disagree. I just don't think Liverpool are good enough to win the title.

I have been anything but impressed with Liverpool side this season and they are certainly not playing like title contenders. They are already eight points behind both Manchester United and Chelsea and I am struggling to believe that they can make up that deficit, let alone a gap of eleven if they are defeated this weekend.

Even the most die-hard Liverpool fan would surely admit that a loss at Old Trafford would signal the end of their title dream for another season.

A month ago, Arsenal travelled to Old Trafford in very similar circumstances. But the difference is that the Gunners were actually playing well at that time; Liverpool are not. Their away form has been dreadful and even after winning in the Champions League on Wednesday night against Bordeaux their confidence will be low. One goal in four Premiership fixtures away from Anfield tells its own story.

Rafa Benitez has pursued a policy of rotation since the turn of the year and while he says that this is a strategy he has used throughout his career, I don't think it is suitable for the English Premiership. To win the league in this country a team requires stability and continuity. Liverpool don't have that.

I think even Jose Mourinho has learnt that rotation can be self-destructive. While both the Chelsea manager and Sir Alex Ferguson tend to make the odd change to their line-up, the basis of team remains essentially the same. Benitez's mistake has been to make too many changes, too often.

Does he even know what his best eleven is? It's very difficult to be sure. I know that I would play Steven Gerrard in the middle of the park but Rafa remains reluctant to break up the partnership of Xabi Alonso and Mohamed Sissoko.

As a result, Gerrard has played in four different positions this season. Given that he is the best player in the team and we've only just reached the middle of October, I find that an astonishing state of affairs.

It certainly can't have helped Liverpool.

Regarding Gerrard - the times I have seen him play central midfield he has been sh*te.  Would much have prefered Momo.  A coincidence that we ended our 2 game losing strike mid-week when he didn't play? Hmmm....
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #1: Oct 21, 2006 12:11:24 pm
      i think a draw wudent be a bad result away from home considering recent form but i will be over the moon with a win any kind of win. we can still win the title you must have belief
      lfc kid
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts | -1 
      Reply #2: Oct 21, 2006 12:30:56 pm
      well i think nothing but a win wil do to be title contenders

lets hope portsmouth beat chelsea and we beat united tht would be great!!

THIs is gona be a BIG 1 come on liverpool we can do this
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Oct 21, 2006 05:01:22 pm
      Not interested in Andy Gray, biast Everton fan.
      Complete w**ker.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #4: Oct 21, 2006 08:23:47 pm
      Quote from: "Court_LFC"
      Not interested in Andy Gray, biast Everton fan.
      Complete w**ker.

True.

Watch the next time United play a European side how excited he gets when they score.

He gets the same level of excitement when a European side scores against us.

The no-mark.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,451 posts | 8657 
      title aspirations
      Reply #5: Oct 21, 2006 08:40:45 pm
      What apart from that SKY HD advert, someone needs to stick it on a banner for the next derby  ''YOU BEAUTY''

As for tomorrow, i want us to do the biz, but I just don't fancy our chances (getting pessimistic in me old age),
      we should have won at that dump last season but was robbed in the final three minutes.
      If we do win I hope Bellamy gets the winner

Quick Reply