Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Preston NE v Liverpool: Match-thread

Read 28421 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Preston NE v Liverpool: Match-thread
      Reply #161: Jan 03, 2009 07:49:29 pm
      Radio 5 said something about a cut, that Alonso will need stitches but should be fine.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #162: Jan 03, 2009 07:50:08 pm
      I don't know. He looked good for about the first ten minutes when he came on. After that he slopped back into his old ways. And it showed in the midfield possession.

Keane should have been subbed at half time. His head went down terribly after he missed that early sitter.

And Babel was just plain disappointing.

Other than forgetting how to keep the ball for that period in the second half, we got the job done and passed the ball very nicely in the first half.

Just hope Alonso's injury isn't too bad.

Lucas again, he doesn't seem to be improving by the game. When he came on, Masch took over Alonso's role and Lucas took on Masch's. He still looks a bit lost on the pitch. Doesn't seem to have the belief in himself to play. He always plays the safe option, passing the ball back rather than looking for a through ball or to open up play, which is what Alonso does.

I wouldn't have subbed Keane at half time. That's a complete confidence destroyer.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6952 
      Reply #163: Jan 03, 2009 07:53:38 pm
      I wouldn't have subbed Keane at half time. That's a complete confidence destroyer.

I'm sorry but if you're not playing well then you can't stay on and be carried by the rest of the team just to protect your confidence.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #164: Jan 03, 2009 07:57:27 pm
      I'm sorry but if you're not playing well then you can't stay on and be carried by the rest of the team just to protect your confidence.

No but you can stay on to try and prove yourself and get your confidence back. If it's not happening then you get subbed. The only time you pull someone off at half-time is in the most important games. Keane's head was down, have a word and send him back out there. Taking him off at the break is like kicking him in the nuts.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #165: Jan 03, 2009 08:01:00 pm
      Happy with the result, not happy with the performance 2nd half.  We bossed it for the first 40mins or so then fell apart in the second half.  Sorely missed Xabi in midfield, Keane was just not on form - AGAIN, and Babel looked like he couldn't be arsed.  You'd think that given this opportunity to prove himself he'd be well up for it but he blew it again.

Was made up to see Nando back an get that final goal.  As JD says, now Nando is back, just how many starts will Keane get ?  After that display tonight, I would suggest not many.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #166: Jan 03, 2009 08:04:28 pm

I believe the worst sign you can see a striker do is turn down the opportunity to have a crack on goal when he's yards out.

And he done that in the latter stages of the first half.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #167: Jan 03, 2009 08:07:53 pm
      I believe the worst sign you can see a striker do is turn down the opportunity to have a crack on goal when he's yards out.

And he done that in the latter stages of the first half.

unless you're teeing up nando for a sitter on his return  ;)
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #168: Jan 03, 2009 08:08:54 pm

The difference being, Stevie isn't a striker.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #169: Jan 03, 2009 08:09:54 pm

No the difference is, Stevie wasn't bottling it.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #170: Jan 03, 2009 08:12:28 pm
      No the difference is, Stevie wasn't bottling it.

chill brothers and sisters!!  just a small bit of jovial sarcasm, i wasn't having a pop!
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #171: Jan 03, 2009 08:14:06 pm
      to be honest, i thought PNE's goal should've stood, i couldn't see anything wrong with it.  although my judgement may be clouded by the fact that i had 2-1 in the prediction league!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #172: Jan 03, 2009 08:14:58 pm
      I know you wasn't matey, I wasn't being sarcastic, my response was to Eem  ;) ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #173: Jan 03, 2009 08:16:58 pm

:lmao:

It does raise the point that it depends on the situation though. And I think we all know for Keane to pass to Reira (I think it was) and for Gerrard to pass to Torres, it was two completely different situations.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,397 posts | 2823 
      Reply #174: Jan 03, 2009 08:32:40 pm
      Happy with a 2-0 win because I really thought this one was coming back to Anfield!

Gerrard was good. Good passing and crossing and he tested the 'keeper on plenty of occassions.

Riera was top notch in the first half. Moving him to the right was an error and he wasn't as effective.

Chuffed that Torres returned with a goal! Should boost his confidence right up.

Major concerns are Babel and Keane. Keane should haver had a hat-trick or at least two. I think he should have been substituted at the break but maybe I think that because I was eager to see Torres back :D

Babel was poor. Crossing was really poor and completely missed the ball when he had a good chance. He's really struggling in my eyes but I still hope he's given time.

Happy to be in the fourth round and to avoid an unnecessary replay.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3718 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #175: Jan 03, 2009 08:37:39 pm
      I'm back from my grandma. Any one from our team impressed you? Did insua, babel, Keane & cavalieri played well?
      What happened to alonso? Summary ;)
      If i have time i will read all the thread some time.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #176: Jan 03, 2009 08:39:21 pm
      :lmao:

It does raise the point that it depends on the situation though. And I think we all know for Keane to pass to Reira (I think it was) and for Gerrard to pass to Torres, it was two completely different situations.

of course it was mate, no debating that point.  i think it shows how fragile robbies confidence is.  the last two games he played he knocked in a few goals, and it seemed all was rosey.  then he misses a couple of standard chances, and his confidence has gone again.  i'm not being flippant here, but i genuinely do believe he would benefit from one of those sports psychology fellas, i know most clubs have them available, might be worth a go?

I know you wasn't matey, I wasn't being sarcastic, my response was to Eem  ;) ;D

no problem smiggs, all in jest!  :hug:
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #177: Jan 03, 2009 08:40:32 pm
      Class game that was today, always nice to see your captain bounce back and what about Riera's goal? top drawer stuff that!

Overall I think it could have been a bit more attacking from us tbh considering all the chances we had in the first half anyway, and Torres is off the mark already this year! (with a lil help from his mate)  It was also good to see Cavvy get a start and keep a clean sheet too, hopefully he can get a few more games in the FA Cup and who knows maybe a premiership start later on in the season. 

Not a bad result for an away game but I still feel we are lacking that edge from the Newcastle game and Reira deserved the sponsors MOTM.  I just hope Alonso is not gonna be out for too long after his injury today.

Next up the mighty Stoke at the Brittania Stadium, now we have our away prem form sorted lets continue where we left off with Newcastle!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,397 posts | 2823 
      Reply #178: Jan 03, 2009 08:45:24 pm
      who knows maybe a premiership start later on in the season. 

You're joking right?
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #179: Jan 03, 2009 08:46:54 pm
      have a word and send him back out there.

Thing is how many times can you do that? I'm a fan of Keane's and I know he will come good in the end but today I would have taken him off earlier to save his own blushes as I don't think he was improving.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #180: Jan 03, 2009 08:49:25 pm

No I'm not actually based on today's performance I don't think it should be ruled out, who says he should be a "cup keeper" anyway? and everyone has to start in the league at some point.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3718 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #181: Jan 03, 2009 08:55:31 pm
      I putted the goals in the 'LFC Goals Video Thread 2008/09'
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,397 posts | 2823 
      Reply #182: Jan 03, 2009 08:56:17 pm
      No I'm not actually based on today's performance I don't think it should be ruled out, who says he should be a "cup keeper" anyway? and everyone has to start in the league at some point.

All he did was punch a few crosses  :-\

But you're entitled to your opinion it's just I'd put Pepe in goal over Diego everyday of the week in the league because I think we have to have our strongest team out in the league every match and my strongest team consists of Pepe due to the fact he's one 3 consecutive Golden Glove awards.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #183: Jan 03, 2009 08:59:54 pm
      I can see where AJ is coming from when he says Cav could have a start in the Prem this season as Reina can't play all 38 games, he will probably get tired and end up losing form and if and when this happens then Cav will be given a chance in the Prem.

Quick Reply