Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Stoke v Liverpool: Pre-match

Read 9887 times
      Elnino08
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Re: Stoke v Liverpool: Pre-match
      Reply #23: Jan 08, 2009 11:28:21 am
      We owe them from earlier this season and will have too much for them with Nando back, hatrick from r kid!!Great chance to pull away at the top, come on Redmen!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #24: Jan 08, 2009 11:52:09 am
      Yet again another prematch thread with some very optimistic predictions as usual and a lot of people taking Stoke and this game lightly. I dont think this will be a wallk in the park (I sincerley hope i am wrong) but they will be keen to get a result as the relagation battle looms over them. I would take any win even a scrappy 1-0!
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #25: Jan 08, 2009 12:55:59 pm
      I have gone for a hard fought 1-0 win, Stoke have already proved they are no push overs when playing at home.

Come on Red men prove me wrong and knock in half a dozen
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #26: Jan 08, 2009 12:57:32 pm
      I dont want manure to win but I ant chelsea to loose ! If we take full point which we will there is nothing more we can do ..we'll just have to wait and see what happens in scumchester vs chelski ! I dont think we shouldn't play alonso if he's not fully fit ...we need him for the derby games coming up ! I'd go for the  4-4-2 wiht riera and benny as wingers and carra as a right back with skrtel coming in and kuyt and torres up front or torres and keane up front ..too bad alvaro is injured !
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2009 01:06:15 pm by niksluvslfc »
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #27: Jan 08, 2009 01:02:51 pm
      Stokes priority is to stay in the premiership.

Against the top teams they will play the same game home or away with 11 men behind the ball.  Only a couple of goals conceded will change this and as has already been stated they left 11 men behind the ball even when Man U went ahead at the Britannia Ground.

I think it will be a close game or we will fill our boots.  An early couple of goals will ease my nerves and lead to a goal fest but It wouldn't be Liverpool if I'm not biting my nails to the knuckle before the end.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #28: Jan 08, 2009 02:48:25 pm
      We should take this opportunity to increase our goal difference if it's possible. I'm happy with our away form :) but lets try to take all the chances we have and kill the game off early. Come Fernando, do what you do best!
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #29: Jan 08, 2009 04:03:29 pm
      Stoke are a physical team. They will battle for 90 minutes (with 11 men behind the ball). I'm doubting whether or not to risk Nando, because we may need him to help finish off our chances, but after his injuries I'm not sure it's a good idea.
      Also, Sami must play, him at the back would help us from their long throws.

Do they have Fuller or is he still suspended?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,372 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #30: Jan 08, 2009 05:50:34 pm
      Dont care who starts and if it only finishes 1 nil. 3 points is all that matters. Come 6 oclock Sunday evening we could be 5 ahead of Chelsea and 9 ahead of utd. Thats the bottom line
      kdz
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #31: Jan 08, 2009 07:50:12 pm
      We cant play one striker, we have to attack in numbers and break them down at home. Fernando and Robbie to play together with Stevie just behind.

Reina

Carragher         Hyypia            Agger           Aurellio

Kuyt              Gerrard            Alonso           Riera

Torres            Keane

I think in attack it will be a 2-4-4 with just Agger and Hyypia staying back, definately have to crack them early. Hyypia's selection is vital with their long throw tactic.
      I agree with Crouchinho, Sammi has to be in there, I would like to see Elzah on the bench to get a run out if the lads do a proper job early on and don`t leave us with no finger nails
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #32: Jan 08, 2009 07:53:31 pm
      I personally don't think Alonso or Keane will start.

Lucas and Mascherano in midfield with Gerrard ahead and Torres upfront!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #33: Jan 08, 2009 10:20:28 pm
      I personally don't think Alonso or Keane will start.

Lucas and Mascherano in midfield with Gerrard ahead and Torres upfront!
      Doubt if Alonso even makes the bench mate,like to see Keane feature - the more games he gets under his belt the better.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,202 posts | 3391 
      Reply #34: Jan 08, 2009 11:04:41 pm
      I've gotta admit that I am very surprised this only has three pages at the moment and barely three pages at that. Now I know there's another day and a half before the match, but it's still a massive game for Liverpool. It might not be the big glamour game, but at this stage of the season with the position we're in it is a big game.

I still can't wait for the match personally, it is a big game for us to add extra pressure on the game between Chelsea/United. Three points for us against Stoke will be a huge boost to us because it'll kick our league performances in 2009 with a victory, as well keeping our winning run going. Now Stoke are a physical side, fighting relegation so they'll be in our faces from the off. They'll be hard to break down and hope to catch us out with the Delap throw and other set peices. They still have a decent keeper in Sorensen, along with plenty of experinced players in their ranks.

The longer it goes 0-0 the harder it'll become to break them down, so we need to score early. Hopefully with a fully fit Torres and a football concentrating Gerrard, goals shouldn't be too difficult. I think this is the chance for Keane and Torres to partner each other up top with Xabi's injury. I think Sami should be a starter because on the odd occasion Stoke will get forward their major threat will be in the air. Now I expect Arbeloa to be recalled to right back, so it's either Carra or Agger who misses out. For me it's a no-brainer which leaves our number 5 on the bench and the media will read into that as he's unsettled. Left back is a toss up.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #35: Jan 08, 2009 11:09:00 pm
      I've gotta admit that I am very surprised this only has three pages at the moment and barely three pages at that. Now I know there's another day and a half before the match, but it's still a massive game for Liverpool. It might not be the big glamour game, but at this stage of the season with the position we're in it is a big game.

I still can't wait for the match personally, it is a big game for us to add extra pressure on the game between Chelsea/United. Three points for us against Stoke will be a huge boost to us because it'll kick our league performances in 2009 with a victory, as well keeping our winning run going. Now Stoke are a physical side, fighting relegation so they'll be in our faces from the off. They'll be hard to break down and hope to catch us out with the Delap throw and other set peices. They still have a decent keeper in Sorensen, along with plenty of experinced players in their ranks.

The longer it goes 0-0 the harder it'll become to break them down, so we need to score early. Hopefully with a fully fit Torres and a football concentrating Gerrard, goals shouldn't be too difficult. I think this is the chance for Keane and Torres to partner each other up top with Xabi's injury. I think Sami should be a starter because on the odd occasion Stoke will get forward their major threat will be in the air. Now I expect Arbeloa to be recalled to right back, so it's either Carra or Agger who misses out. For me it's a no-brainer which leaves our number 5 on the bench and the media will read into that as he's unsettled. Left back is a toss up.

Arbeloa won't be playing against Stoke.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #36: Jan 09, 2009 08:26:07 am
      Wow, I was expecting to come on here and see some pretty big predicitons. How wrong was I   ???

I'm hoping we take them to the cleaners but as long as we get the 3 points that's all that matters. Hopefully the Chavs v Manc game is 0-0.

I'm pretty sure that Xabi won't play, not sure if Masch picked up an injury either....I honestly think Rafa will play SG in midfield next to Lucas and give Robbie and Fernando a chance up front together.

Hoping Sami plays too.....I really do feel a sense of defensive security when he's on the park....not to mention a whole lot better with him in the box when we have a corner.

Come on you Reds...let's extend the gap at the top.  2-0 for me with Fernando and Robbie netting one each.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #37: Jan 09, 2009 08:45:32 am
      I think Carra is gonna go right so 3 of the centre backs will play. Hyypia should deal with their long throws and balls.
      It is a must win game especially with United and Chelsea playing and one of them is sure to drop points.

come on reds, get the 3 points and increase the lead.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #38: Jan 09, 2009 11:16:38 am
      for the first time this season I'm already starting to feel the nerves.i would feel more relaxed if we where playing a bigger more established side!every game now is our biggest game of the season so far.its going to be a real battle,stoke will be really up for the game but we should be more motivated than them.were in a title race and with man u and Chelsea playing the next day only three points will do as usuall.
      as carragher said in a interview its now that draws are really bad results.we've got away with a few draws but now i feel that we wont get away with them in the second half of the season.
      i predict a 1-0 win.not very confident i know but I'm just a bit nervous!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #39: Jan 09, 2009 11:27:55 am
      We cant play one striker, we have to attack in numbers and break them down at home. Fernando and Robbie to play together with Stevie just behind.

Reina

Carragher         Hyypia            Agger           Aurellio

Kuyt              Gerrard            Alonso           Riera

Torres            Keane

I think in attack it will be a 2-4-4 with just Agger and Hyypia staying back, definately have to crack them early. Hyypia's selection is vital with their long throw tactic.

With confirmation Xabi is out, i'd put Lucas in.

Really need to thump these bludgers too boost our ego abit ahead of a tough back end to the season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #40: Jan 09, 2009 11:52:46 am
      Agree with DLS - this is a massive game.  Our first chance of 2009 to do some Premiership damage and looking back at 1997 this is where the wheels began to fall off our title charge.

A win against Stoke will automatically increase the gap over Man United or Chelsea or both - due to them playing each other.

If we land a win against Stoke we will have one of the following cushions against the two challengers:

Chelsea (3) United (4)*
      Chelsea (5) United (3)*
      Chelsea (6) United (1)*

* Assuming United win both their games in hand.

Torres is back, but Insua is gone and Alonso is injured.

I'm not expecting a huge win, Stoke have a good ground and a good support and have some quick players in their side.  But I'm hoping that not only will we outmatch their ability but also their determination and graft.  If the Liverpool players decide to go out and win this game then I'm sure we will.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #41: Jan 09, 2009 11:54:26 am
      We need to go into this game with all guns blazing ,Fernando aint going to be match fit yet so dont think we can put to much onto him ,its been said so many times Keane needs to step up ,just hope we get an early goal to settle us and let us get on with playing ,we could do without a dogfight because thats where we seem to come unstuck.Think Carra Agger and Sami will play,just hope Rafa dont get to defensive ,we need to get them early and kick the fckers when they are down.
      Bristol Scouse
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #42: Jan 09, 2009 12:07:23 pm
      I think as we are away against a team that has shown itself to be dangerous against certain oppositon I think Rafa will be relatively cautious as this is the sort of fixture that can be a real banana skin, that said I think it will be Sami and Agger at CB, and Stevie and Lucas in the middle to give us a good solid spine. to be honest, they aint gonna park the bus like they did at our place they need points and have to go for it so I think we can soak up anything they throw and hit on the counter, 3-0 Liverpool, lets hope that the mancs and chavs cancel each other out 0-0
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #43: Jan 09, 2009 02:09:22 pm
      great opportunity here especially if manchester and chelsea draw which is the best result for us. interesting to see team selection. if they play defensive less chance of 3 points. will will know wether we have improved from the last time we played them. a real litmus test for us. come on red yes we can.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #44: Jan 09, 2009 02:13:57 pm
      Apparently Rafa has just given old Whiskey Nose some stick at the pre match press conference just been on Radio City News
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,202 posts | 3391 
      Reply #45: Jan 09, 2009 03:38:30 pm
      Apparently Rafa has just given old Whiskey Nose some stick at the pre match press conference just been on Radio City News

Just shown a bit of it on Sky Sports News.

Quick Reply