crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Liverpool FC to open an academy in India
      Jan 09, 2009 02:17:29 pm
      http://www.indianexpress.com/news/enter-li...6;./407442/

There could soon be more Indians dreaming of the tricolor fluttering at the football World Cup. When ‘Soccer Prince’, the first ever football reality show hunting for budding football talent kicks off on Indian TV screen, it will have a distinct Pune touch.

That is because Liverpool, the renowned English soccer club, is planning to set up a football development centre at Pune, the first of its kind in India. And feeding this centre with talent would be the resource pool thrown up by this reality show.

Ian Ayre, the commercial director of Liverpool and Steve Bellis, the director of the global football promotion firm ‘kickworldwide’ shared plans of this unique endeavor with reporters here on Tuesday. Also present was Vishwjeet Kadam, the host of the proposed football development centre.

“The policy decision to kick off the football revolution has been finalised. We are working out the modalities. An official announcement will be made within a month,” said Ayre.

‘Soccer prince’ is already a hit on Chinese television with more than 20,000 taking part in the show. The Indian model of ‘soccer prince’ aims at attracting more teenage soccer players, said Bellis, the main brain behind the show.

Outlining the nature of the Indian version of ‘soccer prince’, Bellis said talks were on with one of the leading media houses to telecast the show.

“Our goal is to provide a platform for football players from the grassroots as we will be rolling it out in hundreds of schools, colleges and football clubs. Like their Chinese counterparts, winners of this reality show will get a chance to train for one year with leading clubs in England,” he said.

Ayre said merely setting up a professional football league would not help the cause of improving the overall standard of Indian football. “The whole system has to be professional and receptive. The proposed football centre will strive to create this kind of infrastructure. It will project football as a lucrative career option not just as a player, but as a manager, coach, administrator and support staff as well.”

“Only merchandising Liverpool products in Indian market will not serve the purpose. The aim is to create the right ambience for football in the country and ultimately produce local football heroes like Sachin Tendelkar is for cricket,” Ayre said.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Re: Liverpool to open development centre in India
      Reply #1: Jan 09, 2009 03:14:36 pm
      Sounds like a good idea, not only in terms of enhancing Liverpool's brand name worldwide but also at improving football in the world's second most populous state.
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #2: Jan 09, 2009 04:27:55 pm
      ...the world's second most populous state.

The pertinent part, I think.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #3: Jan 09, 2009 05:44:25 pm
      A great Idea,this is a massive untapped market.Another idea to get us commercial better in India,would simply be to get Sachin Tendulkar or MS Dhoni in a Liverpool shirt!!and watch the money flow in.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #4: Jan 09, 2009 06:46:23 pm
      A great Idea,this is a massive untapped market.Another idea to get us commercial better in India,would simply be to get Sachin Tendulkar or MS Dhoni in a Liverpool shirt!!and watch the money flow in.

We could slot Sachin in at left back he'd probably do better than dossena
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #5: Jan 09, 2009 07:00:48 pm
      We could slot Sachin in at left back he'd probably do better than dossena

Nice one.
      rafasgoons
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #6: Jan 09, 2009 07:14:57 pm

Just getting Dhoni or Tendulkar to present them in liverpool shirt is not going to make a massive difference, although winning the league in this or the next 2 years will do us more favours in terms of merchandising and following. It is good to see the likes of liverpool understanding the importance of tapping and getting hold of the huge potential of the Indian market earlier than others.

IMO Its a good marketing initiative and shows that Mr. Ian is really up to the task of promoting the club and the sport  at all levels of training, management, players in the emerging markets and economies. To be fair football has a long way to go in India, it is hardly seen as a career  as the level of infrastructure, grounds, coaches, training methods and facilities, sponsership, the popularity of the league is not world class. The govt support and grants for improving football at grass root level and the existing structure is insufficient to produce the desired level.
      Then if India can get a few decent players playing the top leagues or the top clubs in Asia thats when it will give much hope to such intiatives and the organisors of this kind.

I know this sounds stupid but I know only about 1-2 players playing in the national league where as you ask me about the EPL, Laliga and maybe even the Siera A, can go on talking about them.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,479 posts | 2862 
      Reply #7: Jan 09, 2009 07:18:40 pm
      the popularity of the league is not world class.

You really don't know anything about Indian football.

The standard is poor of course I agree, but it's pretty popular and will Calcutta (Kolkata) does have a 120,000 seater stadium so the facilities are there.

Personally I would have liked to see this centre opened in Calcutta as football is hugely popular there and there are some good facilites (good training pitches a couple of smaller stadia as well).
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #8: Jan 09, 2009 07:21:28 pm
      IMO Its a good marketing initiative and shows that Mr. Ian is really up to the task of promoting the club and the sport

That is his job.  That's why the reds apponted a commercial director. 

Pity he made such a foolish job when he tried to copyright the Liverbird.
      rafasgoons
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #9: Jan 09, 2009 08:05:14 pm
      You really don't know anything about Indian football.

The standard is poor of course I agree, but it's pretty popular and will Calcutta (Kolkata) does have a 120,000 seater stadium so the facilities are there.

Personally I would have liked to see this centre opened in Calcutta as football is hugely popular there and there are some good facilites (good training pitches a couple of smaller stadia as well).

You are right in saying that a few places such as Calcutta, Karela have more football following and I too would have liked the centere there but talk about any other Indian city boasting of such popularity for the game, I doubt it. Most other places its cricket which dominates in sports.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #10: Jan 09, 2009 10:16:04 pm
      Dmasta,you simply don't know India,Tendulkar and Dhoni aare Gods there names on on everything,simply putting there name to something makes it instantly popular!!!and normally a huge excess.
      jimbob
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts |
      Reply #11: Jan 09, 2009 11:49:34 pm
      no matter what their stadiums are like or their training facilities, this is 1 of the most highly populated countries on earth. therefore, there must be a wealth of talent just waiting to emerge. for liverpool to win the league this year and also put a huge amount into the development of indian football can only stand to benefit us as a club. if not 1 1/2 decent player should emerge from india in the next 20 years, winning the league this year and at the same time being the team that rings in the ears of every young indian potential will bring huge financial benefits to our commercial development.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #12: Jan 10, 2009 12:03:00 am
      Dmasta,you simply don't know India,Tendulkar and Dhoni aare Gods there names on on everything,simply putting there name to something makes it instantly popular!!!and normally a huge excess.

How does me saying tendulkar would be a better lb than dossena make me not know anything about India and cricket. I am perfectly aware of their popularity you obviously wouldn't know a joke if it bit you on the backside.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #13: Jan 10, 2009 02:46:41 am
      ok mate,fair play,mis read your message!! :mad:
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #14: Jan 10, 2009 03:14:14 am
      ok mate,fair play,mis read your message!! :mad:

No worries.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #15: Jan 10, 2009 07:42:35 am
       This could be the ideal opportunity for Rick Parry to broaden his executive skills  and run the show there.This could be our chance to get rid of him. ;D
      idwLFC89
      • Banned

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #16: Jan 10, 2009 11:42:02 pm
      it's great becoming the first to get in deep in a such a big country, United were the first in Asia, followed by Chelsea before we got there. Not to mention the mancs have already made their mark in Africa.

I think football will work well in India, anyone in any class can be a footballer, goals don't discriminate against the lower classes, namely untouchables. Most of the football world doesn't even know what that means
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #17: Jan 11, 2009 11:03:01 am
      its great to here that a  club like liverpool is interrested in coming to a country like ours ..hope some great  players come through this and i deeply wish this will do Indian football a lot in future

it's great becoming the first to get in deep in a such a big country, United were the first in Asia, followed by Chelsea before we got there. Not to mention the mancs have already made their mark in Africa.

I think football will work well in India, anyone in any class can be a footballer, goals don't discriminate against the lower classes, namely untouchables. Most of the football world doesn't even know what that means
      yes u r rite this is going to work............. its about time to do some thing like this cause before it was like most of the youths only followed cricket expect some in kolkata ,Goa and kerala .....but now things have changed thanks to most of the European football especially the epl people are will in to football nowadays ...hope it will work....
      « Last Edit: Jan 12, 2009 12:42:45 am by Reslivo, Reason: merged posts »
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #18: Jan 12, 2009 05:31:35 am
      i was over the moon as soon as i read it.i am from india & its about time we got a football powerhouse really interested in us.though i have gotten a bit over-age but it would be awesome to have rafa scouts pick up some quality kids from india & getting them at melwood, i know its a bit far-fetched but i am just too happy to have some liverpool presonce in our country.waiting for the time when the squad makes a visit
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,479 posts | 2862 
      Reply #19: Jun 08, 2009 07:50:07 pm
      The centre opened today then.

A good move in my view as there is very high interest in the Premier League over there.

Hopefully the lads head over to India for a pre-season tour in the near future to cement their position in India ahead of the other big three.

There is a link to a BBC article which talks about the footballing opportunities below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8083210.stm

Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #20: Jun 08, 2009 08:22:20 pm
      I wasnt aware of this until today.

But the country is developing, football is probably the 3rd choice sport there but this should grow our commerical side in India as well as the developing reasons.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #21: Jun 09, 2009 08:11:37 am
      Untapped. Its about time we do something productive both footballing wise and financially.
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Reply #22: Jun 09, 2009 12:24:27 pm
      I have many friends from India. One of them, from Bangalore recently came to Mauritius and I gifted him a Red shirt, I mean Liverpool shirt. He actually did not know anything about the team etc..and I took pride and honor in telling him the Kops history. The other day he was saying he wore the shirt at his place and his mates thought that was a really cool shirt and what Liverpool & Anfield etc was? So, in turn he told them about this mighty club..I was so happy to contribute in a minute way, to enhance their knowledge about Liverpool and let people know about my favorite team!  :scarf:

well all this to say that Football is not a popular or important game in India, only Cricket is the craze. its actually a very good initiative to take this game there. Here, English football and premier league is a major thing! And I really mean M.A.J.O.R! Every little child knows about Rafa, Fowler, Owen,..ok and even Manure. Manure Liverpool share the most important supporters number, and then the other teams like Chelski, Arse-nal etc come later. When my friends from India come here, looking about the popularity of football (in general, but mostly English PM) they tell me "Oh, what is this thing about English Premier League, cricket is also a great game!".

This is really good that Liverpool has taken initiatives to create an ambiance of 'football festivity' and encourage a 'footballing environment', with even more supporters around the globe! This is so cool , viva Liverpool, Jai Ho!  :aaliverpool2xt1:  :aaliverpoolwz0:

YNWA!
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #23: Jun 09, 2009 12:29:40 pm
      Nice one LFCMau , spread the word like Rafa,s disciple.
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      Reply #24: Jun 09, 2009 12:37:47 pm
      Cheers gareth!  :ernaehrung004: :action-smiley-031: I took pride in doing that, I cannot express the sense of satisfaction and happiness I felt while doing that (help spreading Liverpool's glory)  ;)
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #25: Jun 09, 2009 12:41:42 pm
      I have many friends from India. One of them, from Bangalore recently came to Mauritius and I gifted him a Red shirt, I mean Liverpool shirt. He actually did not know anything about the team etc..and I took pride and honor in telling him the Kops history. The other day he was saying he wore the shirt at his place and his mates thought that was a really cool shirt and what Liverpool & Anfield etc was? So, in turn he told them about this mighty club..I was so happy to contribute in a minute way, to enhance their knowledge about Liverpool and let people know about my favorite team!  :scarf:

well all this to say that Football is not a popular or important game in India, only Cricket is the craze. its actually a very good initiative to take this game there. Here, English football and premier league is a major thing! And I really mean M.A.J.O.R! Every little child knows about Rafa, Fowler, Owen,..ok and even Manure. Manure Liverpool share the most important supporters number, and then the other teams like Chelski, Arse-nal etc come later. When my friends from India come here, looking about the popularity of football (in general, but mostly English PM) they tell me "Oh, what is this thing about English Premier League, cricket is also a great game!".

This is really good that Liverpool has taken initiatives to create an ambiance of 'football festivity' and encourage a 'footballing environment', with even more supporters around the globe! This is so cool , viva Liverpool, Jai Ho!  :aaliverpool2xt1:  :aaliverpoolwz0:

YNWA!

u went to b'lore....I live there !
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      Reply #26: Jun 09, 2009 12:45:24 pm
      Nope sweetie, my friend from B'lore came here in December. I heard its a really beautiful place and kerala too. I think I will visit India in Jan with family! Actually I got many friends in India, cause my aunt, my mom's sis lives there!  :)
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #27: Jun 09, 2009 01:07:33 pm
      Nope sweetie, my friend from B'lore came here in December. I heard its a really beautiful place and kerala too. I think I will visit India in Jan with family! Actually I got many friends in India, cause my aunt, my mom's sis lives there!  :)

Oh sorry I did not read you're comment properly ...Kerala's really pretty but there is nothing much to do there , but Bangalore is green in certain area but in the city there are so many things to do ..so many shopping centres ,  nice restaurants and  many small thrift stores .....Bangalore is really cool  !
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      Reply #28: Jun 09, 2009 01:12:52 pm
      Its alright dear.  Hmmm I guess I will do some great shopping then!  :D Well a friend from kerala came last year and he was showing some pics there, really cool ones. I saw it on tv programs too and I found that place interesting.. In any way, if ever am coming, i will surely heed to Bangalore, Delhi, Kerala. Is Chennai the same place as Kerala? in the same state I mean.. ???
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #29: Jun 09, 2009 01:16:14 pm
      Its alright dear.  Hmmm I guess I will do some great shopping then!  :D Well a friend from kerala came last year and he was showing some pics there, really cool ones. I saw it on tv programs too and I found that place interesting.. In any way, if ever am coming, I will surely heed to Bangalore, Delhi, Kerala. Is Chennai the same place as Kerala? in the same state I mean.. ???

Nope ...Chennai is the the capital of Tamil Nadu ... it's diff state than kerala
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      Reply #30: Jun 09, 2009 01:23:04 pm
      Okay!  ;) Cheers!
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #31: Jun 09, 2009 07:46:35 pm
      viva Liverpool, Jai Ho!  :aaliverpool2xt1:  :aaliverpoolwz0:

YNWA!

i seconded that :)
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      Reply #32: Jun 09, 2009 07:55:55 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #33: Jun 09, 2009 08:40:40 pm
      Untapped. Its about time we do something productive both footballing wise and financially.

Hope something good does come from this. But I bet when the idea was being discussed I bet all they thought about was how many shirts they would be able to sell.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #34: Jun 09, 2009 08:42:44 pm
      Nice one there Mau!
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #35: Jun 09, 2009 10:17:32 pm
      Good to see Liverpool fc involved in development of the game in a country like India,I know absolutely zilch about India but with a huge population and their cricketing prowess this has to be a step in the right direction for the sport and the people
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #36: Jun 10, 2009 12:48:51 am
      I've played football at University level in South Africa, India and England. Well while tactically and technically overall india is not a gold mine for talented players, you do have one or two gems there.

With the population size over there and from I have seen, we could end up surprisingly getting some really good talent from there. But lets wait and see...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #37: Jun 10, 2009 07:33:54 am
      Hope something good does come from this. But I bet when the idea was being discussed I bet all they thought about was how many shirts they would be able to sell.

Anything helps at this stage i suppose.

My guess is that their priority will be to establish Liverpool as a brand name first while trying to bring up youth development so they can introduce football to Indians and then really kick on from there.

If so, i wouldnt mind. I mean, look at what Asia has provided Scum/Madrid etc.
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      Reply #38: Jun 10, 2009 12:37:35 pm
      I've played football at University level in South Africa, India and England. Well while tactically and technically overall india is not a gold mine for talented players, you do have one or two gems there.

With the population size over there and from I have seen, we could end up surprisingly getting some really good talent from there. But lets wait and see...

I think there is no big talent in terms of football there because actually people do not really take interest in football. it is not well and widely practiced.. but what is feel is that they could be great supporters in terms of passion for their team.

I can only say Well done Liverpool  :soccer_h4h: (spreading the glory of the team and also showing the way to million others!)
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      Reply #39: Jun 10, 2009 12:38:31 pm

My pleasure really Gow!  ;)
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #40: Jun 10, 2009 02:04:55 pm
      Man. Why not China? Would be better choice. Then Liverpool can play some kind of Kung Fu football.
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      Reply #41: Jun 10, 2009 02:21:37 pm
      Man. Why not China? Would be better choice. Then Liverpool can play some kind of Kung Fu football.

Kung Fu Football

:laugh:
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Liverpool FC to open an academy in India
      Reply #42: Aug 22, 2011 04:30:54 pm

Liverpool to open academy in Delhi

Moushumi Bora, TNN Aug 20, 2011, 01.40am IST

NEW DELHI: Here's something for Premiership fans to look forward to. Liverpool FC is planning something more meaningful than promoting merchandise in the growing Indian market.

The much-storied British club is planning a football academy in the heart of the capital.

According to information shared exclusively with TOI, the school will be set up in association with the club's former midfielder Steve McMahon, better known to Indian football fans as a forthright pundit on sports channels.

"I've seen some fanatical support among Indian fans and that gave me the idea. I approached Liverpool FC, and they were very keen. We are very excited about the project," McMahon told TOI on phone from Singapore.

As part of the plan, club legend Ian Rush will join McMahon in launching the project next week. TOI has also learnt that the project will involve a close tie-up with various schools of the Capital.

The hard-tackling 1980s Liverpool legend once famously said he would kick his own brother if it were necessary. Remind him, and he unapologetically whispers, "I would kick him twice." It is this kind of passion and aggression that he hopes to instill in Indian boys who are interested in learning the tricks of the trade.

"I understood from the feedback I had received that football is very popular in India. It is a first-time venture and we have plans to cover other parts of Asia. But right now, our focus is on Delhi and India," he told TOI.

McMahon also revealed that India could soon see a Liverpool team visiting in the near future. "In two to three years, the club may visit India. It is a huge market, a market to explore and it is in Liverpool's interest to set up a base in India."

The Delhi project comes close on the heels of his academy in Cana Bednaulim, Goa. Announcement of the tie-up with Churchill Brothers was made last February. Liverpool also has a development centre in Pune.

McMahon, who won three league championships and two FA Cups in his five glory years at Liverpool, believes that his old club has the resources to sneak back into the Champions League. "It is a better squad, a stronger one and there are high expectations. The mood at Anfield is very positive. They have a great chance to get back into Europe's elite. Manchester United are still favourites for the title," he said.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-08-20/top-stories/29908731_1_liverpool-fc-anfield-football-academy
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Re: Liverpool FC to open an academy in India
      Reply #43: Aug 23, 2011 05:27:44 am
      A Liverpool Academy in my own city,this is gonna be great.Maybe a bit too late for me but my kid is surely getting into it.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #44: Aug 23, 2011 05:40:50 am
      Here is Some info.

Jeremy LFC Has been selected as a Regional Co-ordinator in India By Liverpool FC.

As is Said We're Good Friends. He wont lie on that. Perfect Fit Really.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #45: Aug 24, 2011 12:10:37 am
      Sounds like a good idea, not only in terms of enhancing Liverpool's brand name worldwide but also at improving football in the world's second most populous state.
      I dont believe this has anything to do with producing talent. Its purely marketing oriented.
      Why on earth not build an academy in Argentina or  Brazil or Uruguay just to get started. Those 3 countries are the largest exporters of players in the world...by far.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #46: Aug 24, 2011 01:07:48 am
      ^ And countries with plenty of teams already who pick them up and sell them off at decent prices to European clubs.

You think Liverpool can go in and out muscle South America's already-in-place youth systems?

Very much doubt it's going to happen.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #47: Aug 24, 2011 02:25:09 am
      ^ And countries with plenty of teams already who pick them up and sell them off at decent prices to European clubs.

You think Liverpool can go in and out muscle South America's already-in-place youth systems?

Very much doubt it's going to happen.

Well, many italian and spanish clubs have agreements with local clubs and have "unofficial" academies. Dont see why a strong famous club cant open a proper one to scout for talent. Believe me its possible

It has more to do with the English reservations regarding south american players succeeding in the EPL than anything else...hence I dont seem to find reasons other than marketing for establishing in India. To be honest Id rather open one in Cameroon, Ghana, Senegal, or even South Africa

But who am i to speak, after all, im sure the people behind this move are more qualified and knowlegeadble than me so never my whatever i wrote, just an opinion
      Bier
      Reply #48: Aug 24, 2011 05:10:13 am
      Well, many italian and spanish clubs have agreements with local clubs and have "unofficial" academies. Dont see why a strong famous club cant open a proper one to scout for talent. Believe me its possible

It has more to do with the English reservations regarding south american players succeeding in the EPL than anything else...hence I dont seem to find reasons other than marketing for establishing in India. To be honest Id rather open one in Cameroon, Ghana, Senegal, or even South Africa

But who am I to speak, after all, im sure the people behind this move are more qualified and knowlegeadble than me so never my whatever I wrote, just an opinion
      I think compared to Italy and Spain, South America isn't as interesting for English clubs because of the work permit issue. But you're right in that it isn't too hard to start something, but to get something out of it isn't as easy. There's 'independent' academies there where you can pretty much put youth players and have them developed. I know the Mancs do that. Then you just need a European feeder club to play them untill they get a permit.

But I agree that the Indian academy is more likely to have commercial reasoning behind it than actually sportive ones. But at the same time countries like China and India are sleeping giants when it comes to football. And it may well pay off in the distant future to invest there now. Who knows.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #49: Aug 24, 2011 06:12:55 am
      I know there isn't much footballing talent around in India at the moment but believe me the interest in the game especially the EPL is huge.I know there are millions of people especially youngsters out here who remain awake till late in the night to watch their favorite clubs play.We don't have a footballing tradition in this country but the interest in the game is surely picking up by the day and clubs can certainly use it to their benefit. The only problem is we have a dearth of good coaches and academies in the country so if the kids can get the chance to get trained by some of the best in the world,there is no reason why we can't produce players for the future. 
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #50: Aug 24, 2011 08:38:01 am
      I think this is a great opportunity for LFC - not just for the obvious money spinning implications...

I have read a few posts about us opening up academies in South America or Africa and the large number of players coming from these regions and I disagree. Look at Brazil for example...

If we were to open an academy in Brazil we would not only be competing against not only established clubs - Santos, Sao Paulo, Interacional or Flamenco to name a few..! These clubs traditionally have links with European teams (on the sly or not) where players move across at an early age. If not they are bulked up and farmed out for what in the area are massive transfer fee's, these growing each year to almost European levels (Ronaldinho to PSG was circa £5Million in 2001 - Neymar has been talked about going for almost 6 times that fee!). So opening an academy would mean competing in a saturated market with inflated prices.

India has a population of 1Billion people and no way the infrastructure of the Brazilian league. So we could have the best prospects in the country coming to us, exclusively. With that many people finding 3 types of player will be by no means easy, but certainly achievable. These 3 types are - Decent; squad players that can be brought over, loaned and sold for a few bob. Good; fringe players with potential - sold or kept. The 3rd is World Class - what the academy dreams of, perhaps 1 every 5 years or more (again even with Brazil you would compare these to Kaka, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo etc).

This could also open up the English market too. I have always wondered why no English-Indians are playing in the prem?!

From what I know of the Indian culture and people there will be some absolute geniuses out there! For me a great move by the club and we could see some real talent coming our way in a few years!
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #51: Aug 25, 2011 03:37:28 pm
      I dont believe that population is in direct correlation with talent.

In fact i believe that there is a "special something", some people-races have that makes them great at a specific sport. That happens in every sport, and football is not the exeption.

The Maoris are great in Rugby, African Americans are fantastic for basketball, Brazilians in football, etc etc (im not speaking in absolute terms here)

And the counterpart is that i dont believe some DNAs are suited for some sports and I do believe the environment plays a huge part. Some things cant be taught in academies

There is always the expetion to the rule, and maybe some day there will be a world class african swimmer, or a German Rugbier, and an Indian or Chineese  footballer but i dont think it will be on a consistent basis

Just my opinion, but as i said im probably wrong. It has happened before :)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #52: Aug 25, 2011 08:54:53 pm
      I dont believe that population is in direct correlation with talent.

In fact I believe that there is a "special something", some people-races have that makes them great at a specific sport. That happens in every sport, and football is not the exeption.

The Maoris are great in Rugby, African Americans are fantastic for basketball, Brazilians in football, etc etc (im not speaking in absolute terms here)

And the counterpart is that I dont believe some DNAs are suited for some sports and I do believe the environment plays a huge part. Some things cant be taught in academies

There is always the expetion to the rule, and maybe some day there will be a world class african swimmer, or a German Rugbier, and an Indian or Chineese  footballer but I dont think it will be on a consistent basis

Just my opinion, but as I said im probably wrong. It has happened before :)

A very interesting post.

There have always been different races that have qualities for different sports. IE  Tall cross country runners......short high body mass low centre of gravity sprinters.
      Yes there are exceptions to the rule but you dont find many Bangla Desh Premier League Footballers.

With one billion people you are going to find some jewels in the crown by the numbers game ...... and trial a lot of wannabees.

Good move.

Perhaps India need a diversion and something else to focus on after the Test Series. ;D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #53: Aug 26, 2011 09:23:01 am
      Maybe we will send some of our cowboys who we cannot get rid of to the Indian academy.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #54: Aug 26, 2011 09:40:54 am
      Indians are passionate people, they take this passion within cricket. If we are able to stir a great interest into football to the youngsters through this academy - I believe you'll find a great number of talent being brought to the fore. I agree with a lot that has been said here, we're products of our environment. In India they live and breathe cricket and that is why their players are of that class. If we really are able to inject that passion for football within the populace there, it could really become a world  leading nation in the not so distant future as the indian culture is discipline and dedicated.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #55: Aug 26, 2011 09:41:44 am
      I agree with the regional sport theory to a degree... However the reason that Indians are good at cricket, why Maoris are good at rugger Canadians Ice Hockey has less to do with DNA and more to do with what sport is big in the country. These countries 'spechalise' in these sports and other's get little room.

Take football in the U.S. - as it grows look how many players are now English known compaired to 10 years ago. This could be the same in India with football - just look at how many players from the far east have now now made it to Europe!

I also agree with EuroRed - if you throw enough balls in the air you'r bound to catch a few! Numbers alone will bring a degree of success. I refuse to beleive that in a population that big there is not 1 amazing player just waiting to play for LFC...

Quick Reply