Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Patience

Read 1337 times
      chilledoutentertainer
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 16 posts |
      Patience
      Oct 29, 2006 07:43:51 pm
      The first half yesterday was arguably the best performance of our season so far. Villa started well and although they didn't have lots of possession they looked confident, compact and pressed our team well. Infact until we scored they looked incredibly hard to break down.

What I liked about the performance in particular was the patience the team showed. They didn't panic and try and rush things, they simply kept hold of the ball and waited for the right opportunity. I think too often this season we have lost the ball easily, especially away from home.

Hyypia and Carragher at the back have been criticised for using too many long balls. But yesterday I think they mixed up the distribution well, some long some short and to feet. With both Crouch and Kuyt upfront, it was similar to the first choice strike force we had last season... with two strikers who are able to hold up the ball. I thought both did well and the holding up play was very good. This takes pressure off our defence, gives the team more possesion for our key players to influence the game more (Gerrard and Alonso etc) and most importantly get the right balance between attacking as a team and defending as one.

In the first half Gerrard and Garcia stayed wide the majority of the time. This strecthed Villa's team and gave more space to the strikers. With Kuyt roaming round Crouch it gave Villa numerous problems defensively. The team passed the ball well, crisply with pace and it was too much for them to handle.

When we were at our best last season we had two big players upfront, we were playing as a team and I think we saw very similar signs yesterday. Maybe this was because all of them expect for Kuyt were in the squad last season and the more new players we play, the more time it will take to get the right balance. I think Crouch and Kuyt could be a very handy strikerforce and might be the best to get the best out of the team, allowing us to control games more. If we control games, we will make more chances and hopefully get more wins. Personally I still think the pace of Bellamy is vital away from home and I don't think we have got the tactics right on the road. We have been playing alot deeper, with the emphasis of hitting teams on the break... we did it last season at times with Cisse and now we are seeing it with Bellamy. I personally don't like the fact we are inviting pressure and I think it is one of many reasons why we are struggling away. Bellamy is a far more complete player than Cisse was and I think we can employ the same tactics away from home, that we are at home.

When we hold the ball upfront well, giving our team lots of possesion we look a far better team and moire confident team. This way we control games and we don;t search for that match winning pass all the time. I think a more patient build up away from home could enable us to find the balance more easily.  :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Patience
      Reply #1: Oct 29, 2006 08:04:39 pm
      Good first post there Rafa.

Yesterday's win was solid - Villa are no mugs - they hadn't lost this season.

That spell before half time we were ruthless, and we need to be as ruthless away from home.

With our wingers and Crouchy up front arguably we should be one of the best away teams.
      chilledoutentertainer
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 16 posts |
      Patience
      Reply #2: Oct 29, 2006 08:12:27 pm
      I think that has been part of the problem.  Gonzalez has looked very raw and it is obvious he was overhyped before he came.  I feel sorry for him, as he does look to have talent and, can't fault his workrate.  But he has been losing the ball too easily, as have many of our players away from home.

Last season one of our main reasons for our improvement away from home was Crouch.  He held the ball up well and gave the team the platform to control the game.  Kuyt and Bellamy have been first choice, rightly or wrongly... and although I don't agree or disagree with this, we haven't been controlling the games as much.  I think this is due to the team  playing deeper, rather than the Kuyt not holding the ball up well enough.

Bellamy and Kuyt as a partnership have been doing well.  Not spectacular, but showing lots of promise.  If I was to be over criticial, I feel they don't get in the box enough.  At times we haven't had enough bodies in the area.  It is fine Bellamy roaming and running in the channels and the same for Kuyt... but they aren't going to score if they don;t get in the box more.  Crouch is less mobile, which might be a factor in him getting more goals... he is getting in the right positions.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Patience
      Reply #3: Oct 29, 2006 08:47:14 pm
      Quote from: "chilledoutentertainer"
      Bellamy and Kuyt as a partnership have been doing well.  Not spectacular, but showing lots of promise.  If I was to be over criticial, I feel they don't get in the box enough.  At times we haven't had enough bodies in the area.  It is fine Bellamy roaming and running in the channels and the same for Kuyt... but they aren't going to score if they don;t get in the box more.  Crouch is less mobile, which might be a factor in him getting more goals... he is getting in the right positions.

Some good points raised.

Bellamy always looks to use his pace, and hence tends to stay a bit back hoping to explode in to the box.  And from what I have seen of Kuyt he won't score many tap ins.

So for me Bellamy and Kuyt are not the partnership to go for.  When the crosses come in neither of them will be there.

Better to have Crouch up in the keeper's face and Kuyt OR Bellamy to mop up.

I'm no tactical whizz but I have been banging on in this forum about us playing Crouch when we decide to go with the wingers (ie. Gonzo and Pennant), which surprisingly Rafa has not been doing.  He has tended to prefer Bellamy for those games, playing Crouch when we tend to have Gerrard, and maybe Aurelio or Riise playing.

Some interesting choices, and I genuinely believe rotation is not the problem.

I remember all the slagging off he got for the 'zonal marking' and apparently we concede the least from set-pieces in the Premiership.

Quick Reply