Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Next Liverpool Manager, who do you want?

Kenny Dalglish
      (44.4%)
      Roy Hodgson
      (10.5%)
      Martin ONeill
      (2.6%)
      Sven Goran Eriksson
      (1.3%)
      Mark Hughes
      (0.7%)
      Frank Rijkaard
      (7.9%)
      Louis van Gaal
      (7.2%)
      Somebody else
      (25.3%)

Who could be the next Liverpool manager?

Read 277705 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Who could be the next Liverpool manager?
      Reply #2530: Jun 29, 2010 04:41:38 pm
      .        I'm suprised you dont see Rafa's last season as a turbulant one , from pre season until the last game at Hull was shambolic ,from the season before where we turned games round and won them to losing many games after taking the lead shows how much players were not giving Rafa 100% ,Rafa's reign had run its course sad but true .

Last season was a mighty shambles on the pitch as I'm sure all of us would admit and Rafa no doubt made mistakes. But the difference in people wanting Rafa sacked compared to those who didn't was that supporters of Rafa had no doubts that Rafa had it in him to still lead the club to glory. I mean you don't turn from brilliant in 2008-2009 to sh*te in 2009-2010. Rafa had an unbreakable bond with the fans which will last forever. I don't criticise thpose who say he deserved being sacked but I see every reason why he should have been allowed to stay on. He was very much the fans manager. A great manager who unfortuantely found two rottweilers in his way in 2007. Roy Hodgson's got a job on his hand to even come close to building a relationship like Rafa did with the fans. I want to see every fan embracing Roy because he is joining Liverpool because he sees it as one of the great clubs in the world and despite the challenge which faces him he will be relishing it because he knows if he's successful, he will forever have the admiration of all of us.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Re: Hodgson poised to become new Liverpool manager
      Reply #2531: Jun 29, 2010 04:42:06 pm
      Well done all you Rafa bashers. F***ing well done. Happy now?

F**k off.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2532: Jun 29, 2010 04:45:26 pm
      Good luck Mr Hodgson! You deserve the respect and support from all of us Liverpool in these difficult times, because anything less will be unacceptable.
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #2533: Jun 29, 2010 04:46:11 pm
      Well done all you Rafa bashers. F***ing well done. Happy now?

F**k off.

So you think the Rafa bashers some how got him the push ? ???
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #2534: Jun 29, 2010 04:48:28 pm
      For F**K SAKE! I hope the guy all the best but he really wasn't close to being my first option!!!!
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #2535: Jun 29, 2010 04:48:45 pm
      Roy Hodgson's got a job on his hand to even come close to building a relationship like Rafa did with the fans. I want to see every fan embracing Roy because he is joining Liverpool because he sees it as one of the great clubs in the world and despite the challenge which faces him he will be relishing it because he knows if he's successful, he will forever have the admiration of all of us.

Yes, yes, yes! Hodgson will be forever associated with the Yanks. But, regardless of who is in charge, he needs the fans to be behind him from day one. Not on his back. Rafa was in the past. Great manager and a fantastic man. But like i say, that is now in the past. We have to move on.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #2536: Jun 29, 2010 04:49:35 pm
      So you think the Rafa bashers some how got him the push ? ???

Nope. But they helped oust one of the best managers in the world to be replaced by one who, basically, isn't.

I bet Torres and Gerrard cant wait to work with a man who's greatest achievement are Europa League LOSERS medals.
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #2537: Jun 29, 2010 04:53:55 pm
      Nope. But they helped oust one of the best managers in the world to be replaced by one who, basically, isn't.

I bet Torres and Gerrard cant wait to work with a man who's greatest achievement are Europa League LOSERS medals.

How they did help oust Rafa ??

Do you think the americans /purslow give a F**k about what we think
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2538: Jun 29, 2010 04:54:41 pm
      Although it's an article, it's been posted in here earlier.

Any new topics started until a new manager is officially unveiled will also end up in here.

Nothing concrete yet though.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2539: Jun 29, 2010 04:57:02 pm
      Good luck Mr Hodgson! You deserve the respect and support from all of us Liverpool in these difficult times, because anything less will be unacceptable.

If he gets the job, he'll have my support, but as for respect, that is something he will need to earn.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #2540: Jun 29, 2010 04:59:03 pm
      How they did help oust Rafa ??

Because the board wouldn't have sacked a man who it was clear all the fans loved. All the idiot whoppers on phone ins and 606 gave the media the ability to paint a picture that "The Kop" we're getting tired of Rafa.

Either way, if anyone was ignorant of football enough to want Rafa gone, well done. We've got an even more defensive manager who's best achievement was losing in a Europa League final. Torres and Gerrard cant wait to here what words of wisdom Woy has to owfer.

And to the person who negged me, F**k off. Seriously. Go buy some sh*te in the official store and pretend everything will be OK now and sit and wait for the massive transfer budget that will never happen.
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #2541: Jun 29, 2010 05:02:14 pm
      Because the board wouldn't have sacked a man who it was clear all the fans loved. All the idiot whoppers on phone ins and 606 gave the media the ability to paint a picture that "The Kop" we're getting tired of Rafa.

Either way, if anyone was ignorant of football enough to want Rafa gone, well done. We've got an even more defensive manager who's best achievement was losing in a Europa League final. Torres and Gerrard cant wait to here what words of wisdom Woy has to owfer.

So by your logic then the board will appoint Kenny because all the fans love him

And i haven't negged you by the way and wouldnt for having a different opnion to me (even though im right  ;))
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #2542: Jun 29, 2010 05:04:24 pm
      So by your logic then the board will appoint Kenny because all the fans love him

And I haven't negged you by the way and wouldnt for having a different opnion to me (even though im right  ;))

I didn't think it was you mate.

Too right they SHOULD appoint Kenny. If there is noone better for the job who is willing to take it. Which, clearly, there isn't.
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #2543: Jun 29, 2010 05:07:24 pm
      I didn't think it was you mate.

Too right they SHOULD appoint Kenny. If there is noone better for the job who is willing to take it. Which, clearly, there isn't.

Well i certainly agree about appointing Kenny but saldy not going to happen now

Let's not appoint someone that will give all the players and fans a buzz ,fecking wankers on our board
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #2544: Jun 29, 2010 05:11:05 pm
      Right correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Alan Curbishley favourite last time to get the job, and then Rafa was announced as manager? Here's hoping that this is the same kind of thing happening and Pellegrini is announced on Thursday ;)

However, I'm not going to be bitter about the whole thing if Woy is appointed. I won't pass my judgement on him until we actually play some games next season. The only thing I'm worried about is how defensive his tactics can be at times, whereas Pellegrini, his tactics are much more attack minded. It'll take some getting used to seeing Woy as manager if he gets the job, to be honest whoever gets it, it will take a while for me to get used to anyone but Rafa being in control of the team.

I do find though that all these "rafa bashers" welcome the appointment of Hodgson with open arms, and those who supported Rafa are way more sceptical about the whole situation. My view is Purslime and the Yanks are appointing Hodgson now because they're gonna wait until the banks call on the loan. They don't seem to be even trying to sell at all. Although I think Broughton would have left by now if that was the case because he won't want to destroy his reputation. I'm not sure what to think anymore.

But I'll support Woy all the way, if he's not appointed I'll support whoever is appointed granted it's not O'Neill, McLeish etc. the guys none of us like. I agree with Billy though Woy will be an easy target for everyone, and if he does accept the job well he'll need to fasten his seatbelt coz it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Anyways let's all relax a bit until we actually know who has been appointed.

Side note: 1000th post  :f_whistle:
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2545: Jun 29, 2010 05:17:57 pm
      Right correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Alan Curbishley favourite last time to get the job, and then Rafa was announced as manager? Here's hoping that this is the same kind of thing happening and Pellegrini is announced on Thursday ;)

While I share the sentiment, we didn't have a board chokker with stwap-ons then mate. :-\

Boss 1,000th post by the way.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #2546: Jun 29, 2010 05:22:01 pm
      While I share the sentiment, we didn't have a board chokker with stwap-ons then mate. :-\

Boss 1,000th post by the way.

I suppose so.. but I'll live in hope anyway :)

And cheers :)
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #2547: Jun 29, 2010 05:39:50 pm
      Anyone know if their still taking bets on hodgson to be the next manager ?
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #2548: Jun 29, 2010 05:42:02 pm

He's 1/10 with PaddyPower.

Everyone else is 18/1 and above.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2549: Jun 29, 2010 05:44:10 pm

Yes 1/10, not too keen on those odds now..Manuel Pelligrini around 16/1
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #2550: Jun 29, 2010 05:45:59 pm
      Yes 1/10, not too keen on those odds now..Manuel Pelligrini around 16/1

20/1 with PP.

Hiddink is second erm "favourite" at a modest 18/1 :laugh:
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2551: Jun 29, 2010 05:47:54 pm
      20/1 with PP.

Hiddink is second erm "favourite" at a modest 18/1 :laugh:

Paul Potts? :f_tongueincheek:
      y2kyle16
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 666 posts | -7 
      Reply #2552: Jun 29, 2010 05:48:57 pm
      phil mcnulty - bbc

As Roy Hodgson attempted to give his nomadic career new direction with a spell in the United Arab Emirates earlier this decade, the notion of Liverpool and England fighting for his services seemed a distant prospect.

And yet, while Liverpool close in on Hodgson as Rafael Benitez's successor and the Football Association debates Fabio Capello's future as England coach, the 62-year-old Londoner has emerged as the prime candidate for two of the biggest posts in football.

Hodgson, barring a late FA intervention, is expected to be confirmed as Liverpool boss in the next 48 hours, mainly as a result of his outstanding work at Fulham, where a rescue from relegation months after his appointment in December 2007 was followed by a dream run to last season's Europa League final.

Fulham's defeat by Atletico Madrid looks to have been his farewell to the banks of the Thames as he now prepares to move to Merseyside.

And while Hodgson's arrival may get a muted response in some quarters, Liverpool's current reality makes him the perfect appointment.

There may be disquiet among some Liverpool fans that the romantic option of Kenny Dalglish's return has not been explored, particularly after one of Anfield's iconic figures made it clear he wanted to resume the job he left in 1991.

Roy Hodgson has been working for the BBC during the World Cup in South Africa. Photo: Reuters

Hodgson and Dalglish have been friends from the days when Liverpool used to warm up for title-winning campaigns by playing Hodgson's Malmo side in Sweden, so the suggestion the Scot will sulk in the background as some malign influence after missing out is unlikely.

It has been a long road from Carshalton Athletic to Anfield for Hodgson, taking in Sweden, Switzerland, Italy, Denmark, Norway, Finland and the UAE - plus a spell at Blackburn Rovers - before reviving Fulham.

He may not be the stellar name many on the Kop will have wanted when Benitez ended his six-year reign earlier in June, but Liverpool's reduced circumstances call for the sort of common sense management Hodgson can apply.

The Reds can offer any manager a rich history but what they cannot put on the table is Champions League football or vast riches to rebuild a troubled team. The idea someone of Jose Mourinho's status may have been tempted to Liverpool originated in dreamland, even before the former Chelsea manager won the Champions League at Inter Milan and moved to Real Madrid.

Boring as it might sound to some, Liverpool need a pair of safe hands that will restore dignity and credibility to Anfield after times of turbulence on and off the field.

Hodgson is a deep thinker about football and other things besides, as an avid reader of Milan Kundera, John Updike and Philip Roth. Liverpool will hope he can apply the intelligence gleaned throughout a long career to rebuild one of the fallen giants of the game.

A close study of his work at Craven Cottage confirms he fulfils all requirements at Liverpool. Listen to Anfield old boy Danny Murphy, speaking in Hamburg on the night before the Europa League final.

"The manager doesn't sprinkle magic dust on us," said Murphy. "The manager and his staff work damn hard to make sure the lads know their jobs. He does his research on players and the mentality of players who come into the club. He is a manager who organises his team well."

There are other facets of Hodgson's character that will have appealed to Liverpool's power brokers as they drew up their shortlist.

If he had any difficulties behind the scenes with Fulham's flamboyant chairman Mohamed Al Fayed, he never chose to air them in public. In contrast, Benitez's tiresome politicking added to Anfield's instability at a time when there was more than enough to go around.

Hodgson will arrive at a delicate period for Liverpool, with the search for new owners ongoing and yet to bear fruit, leaving the dysfunctional tenure of Tom Hicks and George Gillett still in place.

As someone with vast experience, Hodgson will know the obstacles that may await him at Anfield but his measured approach will suit the situation.

And, crucially in Liverpool's financial state, Hodgson has shown a sure touch when working the markets without the aid of a plentiful budget and without complaint.

He mastered the art of renewing careers at Fulham, with Murphy, Damien Duff, Zoltan Gera and Bobby Zamora prime examples. Hodgson's eye for a bargain enabled him to sign Brede Hangeland relatively cheaply and turn him into one of the most coveted defenders in the Premier League.

Hodgson consoles his players after Fulham's defeat in the Europa League final. Photo: Getty

He has earned huge respect - and not only from those inside football. When Fulham beat Hamburg to reach the Europa League final, his arrival at his after-match press conference was greeted with the rare accolade of spontaneous applause from assembled journalists, such was the scale of his achievement.

And Liverpool will embrace Hodgson's ability to do his job without fuss and fanfare, just like old times at Anfield.

One of my abiding memories of last season was watching Hodgson stroll across Craven Cottage with his hand in his pocket as the old place went crazy after the victory over Hamburg. He navigated his way through the throng of players, celebrating or otherwise, lying on the turf, stopping only to console Hamburg's stars on his way off.

He will work with a small backroom staff, which Liverpool's hierarchy will find a refreshing change from the entire community that appeared to have been assembled by Benitez in his latter days at Anfield.

When Hodgson is appointed, he will need to work quickly to make changes to his squad. Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard are seen as easy targets, with Liverpool lacking in financial resources and the appeal of the Champions League.

Persuading them to stay will be top of his list of priorities - or, if not, ensuring the best deal is done to allow him to fashion a new-look team to prepare for life without them.

Liverpool's hierarchy have been lampooned with relish amid their recent traumas but they have restored a measure of their tattered reputation with the swiftness of Benitez's departure and the good sense shown by installing Hodgson.

It ranks alongside Inter Milan as the biggest job in Hodgson's career - but his work at Fulham alone suggests he is up to the task.

Quick Reply