Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Next Liverpool Manager, who do you want?

Kenny Dalglish
      (44.4%)
      Roy Hodgson
      (10.5%)
      Martin ONeill
      (2.6%)
      Sven Goran Eriksson
      (1.3%)
      Mark Hughes
      (0.7%)
      Frank Rijkaard
      (7.9%)
      Louis van Gaal
      (7.2%)
      Somebody else
      (25.3%)

Who could be the next Liverpool manager?

Read 276598 times
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Re: Who could be the next Liverpool manager?
      Reply #2553: Jun 29, 2010 05:51:58 pm
      Whoever it is , will they please just announce it . I'm sick to the back teeth of all the rumours flying around.

What's the betting they'll leave it 'til after Sunday's Independence Day rally though !!  :f_whistle:
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2554: Jun 29, 2010 06:00:36 pm
      A good read, but these quotes bother me...

Boring as it might sound to some, Liverpool need a pair of safe hands that will restore dignity and credibility to Anfield after times of turbulence on and off the field.

No amount of staying quiet or bullshitting will paper over our problems.

When Hodgson is appointed, he will need to work quickly to make changes to his squad. Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard are seen as easy targets, with Liverpool lacking in financial resources and the appeal of the Champions League.

Persuading them to stay will be top of his list of priorities - or, if not, ensuring the best deal is done to allow him to fashion a new-look team to prepare for life without them.

Even hearing that makes me sick. But, in reality if they are going to leave, it will be the Yanks making the decision. It'd be unfair to even pretend it would be down to Hodgson.

I will back him fully, and if McNulty is on the button with his comments and he will be approaching this as professionally as possible then he could possibly be a surprise package.

I hope so. Well, either that or England come in for him at the 11th hour. ;)
      y2kyle16
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 666 posts | -7 
      Reply #2555: Jun 29, 2010 06:04:49 pm
      A good read, but these quotes bother me...

Boring as it might sound to some, Liverpool need a pair of safe hands that will restore dignity and credibility to Anfield after times of turbulence on and off the field.

No amount of staying quiet or bullshitting will paper over our problems.

When Hodgson is appointed, he will need to work quickly to make changes to his squad. Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard are seen as easy targets, with Liverpool lacking in financial resources and the appeal of the Champions League.

Persuading them to stay will be top of his list of priorities - or, if not, ensuring the best deal is done to allow him to fashion a new-look team to prepare for life without them.

Even hearing that makes me sick. But, in reality if they are going to leave, it will be the Yanks making the decision. It'd be unfair to even pretend it would be down to Hodgson.

I will back him fully, and if McNulty is on the button with his comments and he will be approaching this as professionally as possible then he could possibly be a surprise package.

I hope so. Well, either that or England come in for him at the 11th hour. ;)

i just cant get it into my head why anyone in their right mind would come to a club, where you have to sell arguably your 2 best players....
      y2kyle16
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 666 posts | -7 
      Reply #2556: Jun 29, 2010 06:05:17 pm
      and no doubt those yanks have told him

"if you sell them, you can reinvest the money..."
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #2557: Jun 29, 2010 06:05:33 pm
      Well that looks like thats that then ,lets just get behind the manager and hope he can sort the team out and get fans smiling again,because there has been precious little to smile about in the last twelve months. ;D ;D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2558: Jun 29, 2010 06:22:30 pm
      Hodgson, barring a late FA intervention, is expected to be confirmed as Liverpool boss in the next 48 hours, mainly as a result of his outstanding work at Fulham, where a rescue from relegation months after his appointment in December 2007 was followed by a dream run to last season's Europa League final.

Looks like we are planning ahead then!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2559: Jun 29, 2010 06:22:35 pm
      I as much as the next man would love to see us play the way we did from Jan 09 to May 09 or even better like the 88-90 side but if Roy Hodgson takes over and plays a defensive system that gets us a top 6 finish Ill take it. A steady season with European qualification and getting rid of the owners and there cronies is what Ill be happy with anything else will be a bonus
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #2560: Jun 29, 2010 06:39:22 pm
      If he is appointed then i doubt he (and Dalglish) would be doing so knowing Torres and Gerrard are guarnteed to be sold and just accept that. I think the friendship between the pair would mean Roy would tell Kenny if there were indications in discussions like that or vice versa.

Hopefully this appointment is an indication of a smaller name in order to see a takeover more likely (not having a big name in the seat with a big contract) but if it is a case of a manager to work on a sh*te budget then Hodgson will be able to keep us competitive while Hicks fingers his arse pretending he'll get 800m.

Its not ideal but i think Hodgson is a decent manager but not inspiring. It will at least remove some of the doubts about the club and allow us to work on getting those cu*ts out.

NOT A PENNY MORE
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2561: Jun 29, 2010 07:15:51 pm
      I really don't understand why so many people (not just on here) are getting their knickers in a twist. When are people going to accept that things are truly bad at LFC and the time for action is now.

Roy Hodgson may not have a track record for League Titles and European Cups. But one thing he has proven, not so long ago, is that he has the ability to avoid relegation and keep the team spirit intact. Think about it.

So for all you people too busy squabbling over who should be our manager and who are ready to keep putting money in the yanks pockets this season (season ticket holders excluded), have a good hard think about the boards' ambitions on the football pitch. To keep us in the league so we're still famous.

My personal opinion of Roy Hodgson is that he's a nice man. A footballing man. And given the right tools (which won't be given at LFC), he could be a successful manager for a big club.

But he won't be coming in to bring success. He'll be coming in to keep us in the league.

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #2562: Jun 29, 2010 07:21:10 pm
      Inter Milan wouldn't swap Benitez for for just shows how poor we are!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2563: Jun 29, 2010 07:22:18 pm
      According to SSN  :f_tongueincheek:    Hodgson will be place by tomorrow night.  I feel sick just thinking about it.  He is NOT Liverpool management material.  Just been looking at his managerial history FFS !! We will be his 17th post if he gets it.

Not Happy.
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #2564: Jun 29, 2010 07:22:32 pm
      What a dumb ass article. Break it down:
      "as a result of his outstanding work at Fulham, where a rescue from relegation months after his appointment in December 2007 was followed by a dream run to last season's Europa League final."
      Took a middle of the road club to the middle of the road, took over during a bad spell I agree but he had £20Million to spend in his first full season, took them to 7th, then went backwards last season to 12th. He reached a final, but he never won, winning is everything. What difference is there to steve maclaren ?

"It has been a long road from Carshalton Athletic to Anfield for Hodgson, taking in Sweden, Switzerland, Italy, Denmark, Norway, Finland and the UAE - plus a spell at Blackburn Rovers - before reviving Fulham."
      Left Inter Milan after being pelted by the Fans, Sacked by the UAE, Sacked by Blackburn but lets end the comment upbeat !! look how much Fayed gave him in cash and wage bill compared to the other managers. He was supported.

So an ageing team member praises Hodgson - F**k me he must be a genuis then because if I was 31+ and at a club that had an edict to slash the wage bill I would be kissing his arse all week till Sunday to get my Apperance bonus.

"In contrast, Benitez's tiresome politicking" Benni was telling it how it was, he was set up he was used and the press send out this drivel, Benni was right, find an instance when he was not.

"crucially in Liverpool's financial state, Hodgson has shown a sure touch when working the markets" Really - come on guys this was the guy you the tabs slated when he paid over the odds for rubbish like Kevin Davies. At Fulhum he has bought journey men, where is his youth development, young players he's purchased...come on he spent £20mil at fulham and included players like Julian Gray this is just bollox. He is a wage bill trimmer, a make do man.

Finally - "Liverpool's hierarchy have been lampooned with relish amid their recent traumas but they have restored a measure of their tattered reputation with the swiftness of Benitez's departure and the good sense shown by installing Hodgson." - Nothing will ever restore thier reputation, ever !! Stop printing this sh*te.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2565: Jun 29, 2010 07:25:12 pm
      I really don't understand why so many people (not just on here) are getting their knickers in a twist. When are people going to accept that things are truly bad at LFC and the time for action is now.

Roy Hodgson may not have a track record for League Titles and European Cups. But one thing he has proven, not so long ago, is that he has the ability to avoid relegation and keep the team spirit intact. Think about it.

So for all you people too busy squabbling over who should be our manager and who are ready to keep putting money in the yanks pockets this season (season ticket holders excluded), have a good hard think about the boards' ambitions on the football pitch. To keep us in the league so we're still famous.

My personal opinion of Roy Hodgson is that he's a nice man. A footballing man. And given the right tools (which won't be given at LFC), he could be a successful manager for a big club.

But he won't be coming in to bring success. He'll be coming in to keep us in the league.

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Good post.

Hodgson has the respect from all quarters of football. Not only do his fellow managers respect him, journalists have incredible respect from him as well. Phil McNulty said in his BBC Sport article that he was given the rare accolade of entering the press conference to a round of applause after his Fulham side beat Hamburg. Hodgson will rescale Liverpool. He will bring down the numbers of backroom staff which to be fair under Benitez was getting a bit bloated. McNulty's article is a very good one and should be read. Stop criticising him and get behind the man. This Independent article (linked from McNulty's) is very good.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/roy-hodgson-i-dont-believe-in-innovation-1677575.html

queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #2566: Jun 29, 2010 07:29:10 pm
      Hodgson will rescale Liverpool. He will bring down the numbers of backroom staff which to be fair under Benitez was getting a bit bloated.

What you mean is he is helping the Yanks to assest strip ??
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2567: Jun 29, 2010 07:32:00 pm
      What you mean is he is helping the Yanks to assest strip ??

I really hope it isn't asset stripping but I do feel a trimming of some sort is needed. You'd ideally like the manager to be working with his own team of people. Although it will be interesting to see what happend to the likes of Rodolfo and co.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #2568: Jun 29, 2010 07:49:10 pm
      According to SSN  :f_tongueincheek:    Hodgson will be place by tomorrow night.  I feel sick just thinking about it.  He is NOT Liverpool management material.  Just been looking at his managerial history FFS !! We will be his 17th post if he gets it.

Not Happy.

I take it you're not looking forward to him raiding his old club to bolster our squad then!
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #2569: Jun 29, 2010 08:01:24 pm
      Well with this appointment looking increasingly likely I'm going to be the first to step up and say I back Hodgson and I think he'll do well. He's a top bloke and a good manager who builds his teams on the back of a solid defence. So no we might not see total football at Anfield next season but at least there'll be a semblance of stability about the team. Hodgson's job is to stabilise the club and make sure we don't slip any further down the table, and the beginnings of that is keeping Torres and Gerrard.

Don't underrate Hodgson, he's got a lot of experience in a lot of places and he has a deep understanding of the game. I also think he'll bring out the best in some of our frankly mediocre players, which is never a bad thing. In fact, considering we have no money to spend on new players, bringing the best out of the current crop seems like a good idea doesn't it?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2570: Jun 29, 2010 08:06:00 pm
      If Roy Hodgson is to be confirmed as Liverpool Football Clubs manager tomorrow, or when ever, I for one will support him 100%

I prey to God that he stops the trend in H&G's employees record, and turns out to do a half decent Job.

I am sure he will welcome the "Substantial Transfer Kitty" that Rafa was promised.

The Little lady asked me "is he any good", my reply was simple...."I'll tell you in a year"

I hope he is the players choice, and he MUST be, for if he is not, why employ someone who will force your greatest assets to leave? Cynical one will now point out, that perhaps this is H&G's Master Plan. I hope not.

What I would like to have happen is a full blown revolution where we storm the Battlements of Castle Anfield and take the Club back by Force, but of course. The Dark Knights live in another Kingdom, one where Money is Justice and Power, and what is right and true and be bought, changed or just ignored.

Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #2571: Jun 29, 2010 08:21:16 pm
      Come on Woy!!! I know that you'll do youw F***ing best and that's all we can ask fow... Hopefully King Kenny stays as I think he has a vital wole to play in the youth team and attwacting playews ovew to us...
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2572: Jun 29, 2010 08:38:26 pm

I take it you're not looking forward to him raiding his old club to bolster our squad then!

I'll support any manager that comes to our club.

What I'm not happy about is, the position we find ourselves in, we should still have Rafa and money to spend, not in debt up to our eyeballs and making do with a manager that has so far failed to impress me. 

I'm with RP on this one, I'll give him a chance to prove himself, until then I'll sit back and watch from my armchair.

NOT A PENNY MORE !!!!
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #2573: Jun 29, 2010 08:43:09 pm
      If i hear one more numpty mention how much of a "top bloke" he is I'm gonna vomit in my mouth..
      Is he good enough?.. His CV says no.. He got his players up for a competition they felt greatfull for being in, what happened to the rest of the season?? 7th to 14th = Failure??
      The facts are, we're taking a punt on an under qualified manager because the media think he's a "nice chappy".. If he's the only option we have that's a different matter but until something rock solid comes out with regards to top managers refusing the job i personally think this is a bad decision for us..
      Ask yourself this question.. If you hadn't any access to the media garbage spoon fed to us for the last year would you be excited at his arrival..? In terms of finishing in the league he failed last season and for that reason alone i think its a mistake..
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #2574: Jun 29, 2010 08:48:52 pm
      I'm sure once he is announced we may get the odd Halmstad fan joining the forum.

Telling us how he made them the Swedish champions 35 years ago.

And there will be much rejoicing.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2575: Jun 29, 2010 09:24:10 pm
      Clearly Hicks and Gillett had no idea who Hodgson was or is so it was entirely the appointment of Purslime. And no Chico Banderas, those who are happy with Hodgson's appointment have not been spoonfed by the media into thinking he's a good manager.

Quick Reply