Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Portsmouth vs Liverpool - Pre-match

Read 16758 times
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Re: Portsmouth vs Liverpool - Pre-match
      Reply #92: Feb 07, 2009 12:44:49 am
      Would defo like to see Riera start on the bench (if only to give him a much needed kick up the arse )

Glad JP not eligible cos he would probably have a lot to prove.

I think this could be the ideal game to give Jay Spearing a start (for me his work rate and passing ability are excellent )

And I'm sure we would love to see the Skrtel / Agger combination give a go!!

COME ON YOU REDMEN LETS AV IT.  IRWT.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Dansven
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts | -2 
      Reply #93: Feb 07, 2009 01:50:24 am
      I hope Liverpool´ll win confortably,
      Pompy 0 x 2 Reds
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Reply #94: Feb 07, 2009 03:02:32 am
      I hope Liverpool´ll win confortably,

Not the only one.

Kind of the point of this forum.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #95: Feb 07, 2009 03:23:46 am
      Off topic - I would like to see Xabi Alonso captain the side one day , ;D.

Come Reds, get back to the top of the league for 24 hours!
      ustcustc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #96: Feb 07, 2009 06:27:55 am
      Liverpool win 3:1
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #97: Feb 07, 2009 11:11:06 am
      what rafa said, in case nobody else has posted this

Journalist: It's been a rollercoaster of a few days hasn't it Rafa - great to beat Chelsea but a real downer to get beat by Everton...

Yes but I think you have to be positive in terms of the spirit and character of the players. We played a lot of the game against Everton with one less player and were working so hard too, so I think that the players deserve credit because they were doing a fantastic job. Against Chelsea it was very good, but against Everton we had some really bad luck at the end and the other things I don't want to talk about but we are out of the cup - we cannot change that and you will think that the only positive is that we will have less games.

Journalist: How do you put a positive spin on things with the players after a result like the Everton defeat? It can have a deflating effect, can't it?

I will say to you after the game tomorrow. The mentality of the players is really good - they know that it was a difficult game for different reasons, but we cannot change that so now we must think about winning against Portsmouth and stay near the top of the table.

Journalist: It was a blow to lose to Everton, but to lose Steven Gerrard, your captain, is even more so - what's the situation with him?

You know the news, it is more or less three weeks he will be out for. We will try to work hard with him and give him time, so at this moment you have to think about different options up front or in the middle, but we have enough quality.

Journalist: I suppose the positive is there isn't that much football is there? But other players have to step up as well...

Yes it's true that the international break will be positive now for him but the other players also have to show the quality they have. We now have a problem and need to find solutions - I am really pleased with Ryan Babel - he is improving, Kuyt is always a guarantee and Ngog is growing and if Torres is ready then it will be another option. We will also think about Benayoun and some young players, we have enough quality in the squad.

Journalist: You said, 'If Torres is ready.' What is the situation with him at the moment? He has obviously been out for a while but he is also looking a bit tired, how is he?

Yes I told you before, even if he would have scored three goals against Chelsea he still would not have been ready. He does not have match fitness, he is not sharp enough - you could see that. We were talking about this before, but sometimes you take a risk and now we have to see how he is because each day is different. We need to see if he is ready for each game - it is a big decision.

Journalist: Would you prefer it, perhaps, if he didn't play or wasn't selected for Spain against England next week?

He has been selected, so I better not say too much.

Journalist: What do you make of Portsmouth? A lot of people have been surprised that they have been struggling as much as they have this season after winning the cup and there's been quite a change around in terms of personnel there...

It's always difficult to keep the team doing things normally when you lose the manager one day - it was a surprise for them, they needed to change a lot of things and it's not easy. I think they are working hard, the manager has a good mentality and I think he is clever.

Journalist: Are you all still feeling positive, even after the extreme lows of the weekend - the picture still looks pretty good in the league, doesn't it?

I think the team is in a fantastic position, so if we can win against Portsmouth we will be top of the table for a short time again. We have been in a good position for a long time - it is a long race and we have to keep going.

Journalist: Could you tidy up these quotes that have come out and are apparently attributed to Xabi Alonso saying you are perhaps in a tug of war about your contract?

I need to confirm whether it is right or not because today the Spanish press have been talking about Torres heating up the atmosphere for the game against Real Madrid, but that is not true. You never know - with the radio it can be okay, but newspapers are different. Xabi has good English, but you never know if they are going to twist something. At this moment we are just thinking about the next game and we want to keep going.

Journalist: Apparently he said that he hoped you are here for a long time - it must be good to know that the senior players are behind you?

Yes, the squad is very compact. We have a unit and everybody knows it is an important season for everyone here, so we try to concentrate on football.

Journalist: How difficult is it to concentrate just on football on a day-to-day basis. It's such a vital time of the season for you and so many other things are happening...

We try to look at one game at a time and I have to give credit to my staff - they are working very hard in the preparation for games and they help in many ways to make sure everything is ready.

Journalist: You mentioned that a bit of tiredness was creeping in, how much of a factor is that for you at this stage of the season when you have played so much football?

It's always difficult. The problem is that when you play two games in a week, and you only have a few days - four days could be enough, but three days can be harder. It's okay, but if you have to do it three or four weeks in a row it will get even more difficult especially for players who have been injured because they don't have match fitness.

Journalist: Did you see that manifest itself against Everton the other night?

Yes, I think everyone could see that Torres was very tired but we were keeping him on the pitch a little bit more because we had Alonso who had a problem with his ankle and we were playing with 10 players.

Journalist: Is Torres a serious doubt to play against Portsmouth?

If you ask him then he will say 'no'. I always say we need to check on him and decide because all the players want to play every single game, so it will be more a decision for the staff than him.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #98: Feb 07, 2009 03:38:52 pm
      It's looking a bit too obvious that Torres wont be playing, especially after reading that ^^

Personally, it worries me that we could possibly be missing Torres and Alonso as well as the already side lined Gerrard.

Massive game for who ever is picked to play in attack for us today. Really have to influence the game.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #99: Feb 07, 2009 03:41:06 pm
      It's looking a bit too obvious that Torres wont be playing, especially after reading that ^^

Personally, it worries me that we could possibly be missing Torres and Alonso as well as the already side lined Gerrard.

Massive game for who ever is picked to play in attack for us today. Really have to influence the game.

Yeah, I'm keen to see the starting line-up too.

There's spots available in midfield and attack, I wonder if Rafa is going to pick his usual replacements or try out any of the youngsters?
      skrtelivision
      • Skrtelivision
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Reply #100: Feb 07, 2009 03:42:45 pm
      Do you think he will pick babel down the middle? if Torres isnt playing i mean
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #101: Feb 07, 2009 03:45:48 pm
      Do you think he will pick babel down the middle? if Torres isnt playing i mean

I've long since given up trying to predict our starting XI! ;)

It's an option, I suppose it depends which players aren't out, which in turn could affect what formation we play.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #102: Feb 07, 2009 03:47:57 pm
      It would be a fantastic boost if players like Babel and Benayoun and Kuyt chipped in with a few goals today. Its time for some of the players to step up now we havent got Stevie in. I still think we will be top tonight if we have a POSITIVE ATTITUDE.
      « Last Edit: Feb 07, 2009 03:48:47 pm by ayrton77, Reason: Added an \"i\" to positive. ;-) »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #103: Feb 07, 2009 03:55:13 pm
      Why leave Torres out today when hes our only goal threat and we can go top? Gerrard out Alonso maybe out the pompey lads would get some boost seeing Torres out.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #104: Feb 07, 2009 03:59:43 pm
      Why leave Torres out today when hes our only goal threat and we can go top? Gerrard out Alonso maybe out the pompey lads would get some boost seeing Torres out.
      He is doubtful 'cos he is very tired and tiredness can bring him back the hamstring problem. But we will see him play some part today.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #105: Feb 07, 2009 04:02:05 pm
      He is doubtful 'cos he is very tired and tiredness can bring him back the hamstring problem. But we will see him play some part today.

Take him off then. Bigger boost to everyone if his name is on the team sheet, pompey sh*t themselves, he bags an early goal and on 60 mins take him off. Bring him on with 15 to go whose to say he doesnt do the hammer then?
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #106: Feb 07, 2009 04:04:08 pm
      Its great waiting for team news because we all know Rafa will surprise us . I havent a clue and have long since given up trying to second guess the great man.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #107: Feb 07, 2009 04:05:38 pm
      My opinion is either play him for about 55-60 min or at 55 bring him on.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #108: Feb 07, 2009 04:07:04 pm
      Here's Aldo on today's game:

Time for Liverpool to stand up and react.

If beating Chelsea gave us all a big boost six days ago at Anfield then losing at Everton on Wednesday night quickly ended the feeling.

I know the match had a dramatic climax which left Evertonians celebrating but the truth is it was a dreadful game - one of the worst derby matches I can ever remember.

The central defenders on both sides were on top from the word go. Both Graeme Sharp and myself in the radio commentary box agreed it was very poor stuff as it unfolded in front of us.

When Steven Gerrard limped away our creativity departed with him. Then when Lucas was sent off, we were obviously a man short and even more up against it.

But I believe Rafa might have got the tactical reaction to us going down to ten men wrong on this occasion.

I’d have preferred to see us keep two up front, maybe with Ryan Babel alongside Torres, because in playing Torres on his own we really drew Everton onto us. And the Spaniard ultimately faced a losing battle.

It was a night to forget but today the players have to show they have picked themselves up and are ready deliver a big reaction at Portsmouth.

Pompey have been struggling recently and their manager might be only days fromfacing the chop, so while they’ll try and make it difficult we’ve got to be right up for it. Particularly as we could go top again with a victory, with United not playing until Sunday.

I hope we go with two up front. Babel has shown he isn’t a wide player and doesn’t want to be, so maybe pairing him with Torres might give us the firepower we need.

Whatever the line-up though we can’t afford feeble minds or attitudes - we’ve got to stand up and be counted.

The fans will be looking out for that. And for top performances - especially with Steven Gerrard out - from players who have been brought in for big or sizeable fees; players who are yet to really live up to expectations.

I won’t mention names - everyone knows who they are.

But it’s time they showed they are good enough for Liverpool now.

Full article

Couldn't agree more with that last sentence.

This is how I felt when Keane wasn't replaced and I feel even more strongly about it now with the possibility having our three most influential players not on the pitch. When the chips are down the other lads have to stand up and prove they're winners.

Have to do it at Pompey today.

RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #109: Feb 07, 2009 04:07:57 pm
      I think it will be a disaster if torres doesn't start. He has to or I don't think we will win. We need our best possible team out this evening if we want to win. Torres can come off with 10-20 mins to go (maybe injured!!) if we're winning
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #110: Feb 07, 2009 04:13:49 pm
      Come on lads. I don't care how use win, as long as you win.

Torres will start and come off, after 70 mins and after scoring 2 goals to put us 2-0 ahead, for Ngog to score a goal to make 3-0 ;D

Quick Reply