Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would you like to see at Anfield next season?

David Silva
      (48.4%)
      Carlos Tevez
      (10.9%)
      David Villa
      (28.3%)
      Samuel Eto'o
      (3.1%)
      Yoann Gourcuff
      (1.9%)
      Gareth Barry
      (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      (4.7%)
      Stewart Downing
      (0.6%)
      Amir Zaki
      (0.9%)
      Michael Owen
      (1.2%)

General transfer discussion - summer 2009

Read 189005 times
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Re: General transfer discussion - summer 2009
      Reply #69: Feb 16, 2009 01:49:31 am
      Glen Johnson ---- for RB
      Matthew Upson if Agger decides to leave in the summer ---- for CB
      Carlos Tevez (wouldnt Masch tempt his mate? but can we afford him???) --- for Attack (can play many up front postitons)
      Cech if Reina listens to his 'papa'
      SWP for RW
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #70: Feb 16, 2009 05:58:51 am
      No thanks to Cech. Should Reina ever leave, then from current choices i would go for Ustari or Asenjo. Of course someone could just come up and be a star like David Martin maybe.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #71: Feb 16, 2009 07:12:06 am
      Cech isn't as good as people think.
      If Reina were to leave (which he won't), Rafa would probably look to buy some cheap Spanish keeper.
      As opposed to Cech, who'd cost us a fortune.
      kopfan
      • Forum John Aldridge
      • Started Topic

• 110 posts |
      Reply #72: Feb 16, 2009 07:40:07 am
      Micheal Owen back to Anfield?
      It will be a bargain in summer and he can give out strike force more option.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #73: Feb 16, 2009 07:54:08 am
      What do you think of that Trinidad player,his name is Scotland(Championship league),i think he plays for Swansea.His really good and im sure some EPL club will get him soon.
      Posted on: February 16, 2009, 07:50:23 AM
      Cech isn't as good as people think.
      If Reina were to leave (which he won't), Rafa would probably look to buy some cheap Spanish keeper.
      As opposed to Cech, who'd cost us a fortune.
      What about Shay Given.Awesome keeper.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #74: Feb 16, 2009 08:08:07 am

1. I believe he just signed for city (correct me if I'm wrong)
      2. Reina hasn't gone anywhere the only reason hes being brought up is because daddy wants him to play for athletico.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3395 
      Reply #75: Feb 16, 2009 12:53:16 pm
      What do you think of that Trinidad player,his name is Scotland(Championship league),i think he plays for Swansea.His really good and im sure some EPL club will get him soon.

Jason Scotland does indeed play for Swansea in the Championship and scored against Fulham in the FA Cup on Saturday as well banging in a fair few for the Swans in the Championship. However, he tries to do to much on his own and in the Premiership, unless you're really special, you can't do that. He's a good player but not good enough.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #76: Feb 16, 2009 01:48:45 pm
      If I could have it my way, players I'd love to ahve are Cesc Fabregas, Theo Walcott, Aaron Lennon and Ashley Young. I also fancy Mikel Arteta as I think he's got what it takes to be a Liverpool player.
      Well, let's be realistic! ;D.

Adam Johnson could be one for the future.
      http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item205192/Liverpool-and-United-battle-for-Adam/
      Haven't really seen him a whole match or anythnig but saw glimpse of his 21 year old abilities. Probably could improve in Liverpool.

I think Tim Cahill is a brilliant player as well but as he's playing for Everton and we've got Stevie, I don't see him moving to us.
      Nothing much about the centre midfield area, as like it's been said 'We have the best midfield in the world'. Having Young on the left and Lennon on the right with the holy trinity in betwee - that's the ultimate best.

As for defenders, I'd like to see Insua/Aurelio as our left backs and see Insua cementing that position in the future as he's only 19+ now. Our centre backs are awesome already. We probably need some cover for Arbeloa and as many have said, Glen Johnson would be an ideal one.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #77: Feb 16, 2009 03:14:05 pm
      If I could have it my way, players I'd love to ahve are Cesc Fabregas, Theo Walcott, Aaron Lennon and Ashley Young. I also fancy Mikel Arteta as I think he's got what it takes to be a Liverpool player.
      Well, let's be realistic! ;D.

Adam Johnson could be one for the future.
      http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item205192/Liverpool-and-United-battle-for-Adam/
      Haven't really seen him a whole match or anythnig but saw glimpse of his 21 year old abilities. Probably could improve in Liverpool.

I think Tim Cahill is a brilliant player as well but as he's playing for Everton and we've got Stevie, I don't see him moving to us.
      Nothing much about the centre midfield area, as like it's been said 'We have the best midfield in the world'. Having Young on the left and Lennon on the right with the holy trinity in betwee - that's the ultimate best.

As for defenders, I'd like to see Insua/Aurelio as our left backs and see Insua cementing that position in the future as he's only 19+ now. Our centre backs are awesome already. We probably need some cover for Arbeloa and as many have said, Glen Johnson would be an ideal one.

Glen Johnson is far too good a player to be cover for Arbeloa and some would argue, a lottle better. So if Rafa was interested in him, neither would want to sit on the bench.

Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #78: Feb 16, 2009 06:54:03 pm
      I wouldn't mind seeing Micah Richards here, but City won't sell up unless they hit financial trouble. Fingers crossed!
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #79: Feb 16, 2009 07:00:27 pm
      What do you think of that Trinidad player,his name is Scotland(Championship league),I think he plays for Swansea.His really good and im sure some EPL club will get him soon.
      Posted on: February 16, 2009, 07:50:23 AM

Jason Scotland.

Yeah he is quite decent but not proven in the Premier League. Need a super sub kind of player. Someone who wouldnt cry if he doesnt play every game. Owen is a good option but he is a injury prone.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #80: Feb 16, 2009 07:15:53 pm
      Jason Scotland.

Yeah he is quite decent but not proven in the Premier League. Need a super sub kind of player. Someone who wouldnt cry if he doesnt play every game. Owen is a good option but he is a injury prone.
      Thats because he doesn't play in the Premier League. The thing is that, unless you give a player from the lower league's a go, they will never get a chance . . . . it will always be, 'they have never done it in the Premier League' wont it?

And plus, when Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler had never done it in the Premier League until Evans and Souness gave them their opportunity. The rest is history.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #81: Feb 16, 2009 07:22:16 pm
      So your saying every lower league player should be given a go in the Premiership? It doesn't work like that. Clubs aren't going to dish out large sums of money on a big risk, they will need big belief that the investment will give benefits. You can't just buy a player from a lower division 'to give them a go' because it's so difficult to judge whether they are actually capable of playing in the top division.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3395 
      Reply #82: Feb 16, 2009 07:23:51 pm
      Thats because he doesn't play in the Premier League. The thing is that, unless you give a player from the lower league's a go, they will never get a chance . . . . it will always be, 'they have never done it in the Premier League' wont it?

And plus, when Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler had never done it in the Premier League until Evans and Souness gave them their opportunity. The rest is history.

Fowler and Owen are very special goalscorers, Jason Scotland isn't.

Nemeth, Pacheco and Ngog are better options to have on the bench than the Swansea forward. Like I've alread said he's good but not good enough.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #83: Feb 16, 2009 07:24:57 pm
      jckopking - next suggestion please :)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #84: Feb 16, 2009 07:38:44 pm
      Glen Johnson ---- for RB
      Matthew Upson if Agger decides to leave in the summer ---- for CB
      Carlos Tevez (wouldnt Masch tempt his mate? but can we afford him???) --- for Attack (can play many up front postitons)
      Cech if Reina listens to his 'papa'
      SWP for RW

Fair shout.  A lot of forward planning in there.

You sure you're not Rafa?
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #85: Feb 16, 2009 07:49:13 pm
      Not in the Premier League at the moment but..................... .....I am continuing in my shameless promotion of Kevin Doyle !!!
      He was one of the Prem's top scorers when he was playing in it and at the minute he's banging them in in the championship aswell !! He's young, fast, and he's got a good head for the game. Plus with our current striker situation I reckon he'd be great for us. He's versatile enough to play in any role that Rafa may give him too......(within reason !) Another great reason is that no other top clubs seem to be sniffing around him too much so surely he couldn't cost us that much. I personally would love to give him a go in a red shirt anyway and I think we signed the wrong Irishman when we signed Robbie Keane !
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #86: Feb 16, 2009 07:52:08 pm
      Shameless indeed.

You just want an Irish lad at Liverpool. ;)

Must admit I don't know a lot about the player but I'm willing to take your word on it for now.  I'll keep my eye out for him.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #87: Feb 16, 2009 07:54:42 pm
      Shameless indeed.

You just want an Irish lad at Liverpool. ;)

Must admit I don't know a lot about the player but I'm willing to take your word on it for now.  I'll keep my eye out for him.

Is it that obvious !? ;)

Well he played very well in a fairly poor performance for Ireland the other night. He once again made a show of Robbie Keane who only scored by pure luck. He narrowly missed out on getting man of the match to Aiden McGeady, who personally I feel he played better than.

His official goal tally for this season in the championship is 17. Second highest scorer and I reckon he'll finish on top.

We need goals, he can give them to us.......end of ! ;D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3395 
      Reply #88: Feb 16, 2009 07:54:51 pm
      Problem with Doyle and quite a lot of international forwards is next season being a world cup year. Now the Irish are looking like they could possibly qualify from their group and Doyle is a regular for them. Now I don't follow the ROI all that closely but I've heard a few people say Trappatoni picks players on form and not reputation. So if Doyle is sitting on our bench week in week out, his place in the (possible) ROI world cup squad would come under threat.

Is Doyle going to do that? I doubt it personally. Plus Reading are possibly gonna come up this year so Doyle will be back in the Prem anyway next season. I don't see it as a good transfer for club or player really.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #89: Feb 16, 2009 08:01:03 pm
      jckopking - next suggestion please :)
      Ross - Read back on my post again, if you can find where I said, ' every player should get a go in the premiership', then fair point, but you wont find it. I was using it as an example that unless players are given the opportunity, then their full potential wont ever be known.

Do you not agree?

Unfortunately, the big clubs seem to feel that they will only ever get quality by spending big money . . . our money. . . and that hasn't always been proven has it.  

You obviously have the answers, so come up with a better one !
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #90: Feb 16, 2009 08:02:13 pm
      definitely would like lennon, there is more than enough talent in the players and the coaching staff at lfc in order to get his final ball consistent and make him a world class winger cos atm he's just a good winger
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #91: Feb 16, 2009 08:13:17 pm
      Instinctively we discount Premiership players because we know they will come with huge price-tags and also that clubs will be unwilling to sell to us - look at Heinze.

I still would have taken Bentley.  I think he isn't playing to his potential and has a bit more guile than the likes of Pennant on the right wing.

I wouldn't say no to Tevez.  Decent player and could do a job for us.

I'd be quite happy to have Fabregas as well.

Quick Reply