Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Best videogame of all time?

Read 21034 times
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Re: Best videogame of all time?
      Reply #46: May 06, 2009 11:33:36 am
      Fifa Road to the world cup 1998 that's the game that started my love of football for ever
      rainOd5star
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts |
      Reply #47: May 06, 2009 04:12:56 pm
      PES 2008, Tony Hawk, Goldeneye! Pity you dont have as much time as you used to have!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #48: May 06, 2009 06:35:11 pm
      Super Mario World on the SNES was a winner. On the Mega Drive I'd have to say Sonic 2, 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Hours of joy from those three.

Metal Gear Solid was the best Playstation One game, alongside Final Fantasy VII (although I'd still play that on my PS3 and not get bored). Two remakes I'd certainly buy.

PS2, I'd probably go with one of the GTA's. San Andreas and Vice City are too good to split though.

PS3 is a little young for the time being but Metal Gear Solid 4 is up there already, but it's way too early to pass too much judgement.
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #49: May 06, 2009 07:13:51 pm
      Super Mario World on the SNES was a winner.

Love Super Mario!! Defo Best game for me!! :)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #50: Dec 12, 2009 03:13:28 pm
      Felt like going retro today and I'm playing the very first Medal of Honor through my PS3 - which I didn't actually realise I could do!

Seems so weird playing it now when I compare it to the likes of Call of Duty nowadays, but this game was really what started it all off.

Superb.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #51: Dec 12, 2009 04:46:46 pm
      Secret of Mana, Zelda: A Link to the Past & Super Metroid - all SNES.  I've enjoyed loads of games since these,  but I still play these games at least once a year.

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #52: Dec 13, 2009 12:06:38 am
      The only time I ever waited for the release of a game was the first Metal Gear Solid on the PS One.  It was revolutionary. It was the first to incorporate AI in a game. The guards and enemy were not programmed to do just 1 thing but actually altered their movement to your actions, which back then was unreal.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #53: Dec 13, 2009 12:12:03 am
      Best video game of all time - Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2

well.... maybe not but it is certainly an amazing game.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #54: Dec 13, 2009 12:26:02 am
      The only time I ever waited for the release of a game was the first Metal Gear Solid on the PS One.  It was revolutionary. It was the first to incorporate AI in a game. The guards and enemy were not programmed to do just 1 thing but actually altered their movement to your actions, which back then was unreal.

Brilliant game that - gonna get it back on my ps3 i think.

For me, its the Grand Theft Auto series. My personal fave is Vice City for the 80's feel, but San Andreas was revolutionary as well.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #55: Dec 13, 2009 12:40:36 am

I remember one of the bosses in that game, in order to beat him you had to remove your memory card or he knew the moves you were going to make.
      The first scene in that game could be the best ever, in the snow by the crates and you had to sneak around into the lift.

What a game.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #56: Dec 13, 2009 06:32:32 am

Awesome game, that.

I remember being amazed by it, that you had to be careful not to leave footprints else the guards would follow you to your hiding place, I loved every minute of it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #57: Dec 13, 2009 01:50:56 pm
      I remember one of the bosses in that game, in order to beat him you had to remove your memory card or he knew the moves you were going to make.
      The first scene in that game could be the best ever, in the snow by the crates and you had to sneak around into the lift.

What a game.

Inone of the MGS's, I think an enemy could recoginise certain games on your memory card, but to beat the one on the first MGS, I believe you had to pllug your jpypad into the 2nd port.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #58: Dec 13, 2009 08:46:59 pm
      Zelda: Ocarina of Time
      Resident Evil 4
      Mario Galaxy (indeed any Mario game)
      Mario Kart (esp Super Mario Kart)

some of my favs
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #59: Dec 15, 2009 10:31:10 pm
      Some of my fav's:

Resident Evil
      Super Mario Bros
      Mario Kart
      Viva Pinata
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #60: Dec 16, 2009 12:58:45 am
      Duke - Nukem, check the links superb

http://www.wavsource.com/video_games/duke_nukem.htm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #61: Dec 16, 2009 01:08:50 am
      Winning Eleven / PES - definately, the game I played the most times in my life.

But I also have to mention the legendary International Super Star Soccer for SNES, which was huge at the time too (well, at least here!). I remember the competitions I played against my brothers and cousins... good old days!

Besides football video games, I would say Super Mario (SNES) and GTA 2 (Playstation One). Mario Kart was amazing too, for both SNES and N64. Very addictive.
      McEvoy_LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts |
      Reply #62: Dec 18, 2009 03:26:52 pm
      Metal Gear on PSN people yay

Best games of all time

Final Fantasy VII - Hands down, just completed it, and gonna start it again in January!

Metal Gear Solid - epic but not as good as....
      Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater - That game is the best MGS I have ever played its sooooo F***ing good. Better the MGS4
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #63: Dec 21, 2009 04:22:26 pm
      I was obsessed with 'Syphon Filter' on PlayStation One. Also loved 'Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire' on the Nintendo 64.

Haven't thought about those in a long time.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #64: Dec 31, 2009 04:10:18 pm

What a game.
      Actually the first scene puts you under water, remember. Then you come out of the water in a sewer and then go to the top which opens into the snowy field with the crates. Because I remember being completely confused for the first seconds wondering what the hell is wrong with the game.

I also think it was the first game to have "Easter eggs".  Their was a locker room where you could open a locker and see a poster of some naked women.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #65: Jan 01, 2010 06:48:47 pm

What a game.

I remember switching the controller to port 2 to stop him controlling your actions or didging your gunshots.

I remember Psycho Mantis saying you like sports if you had a Pro Evo or Track & Field save on the same memory card (and other Konami games). Very clever.

The Metal Gear Solid series, Final Fantasy VII and a load of stuff from the Sega Mega Drive and Super Nintendo are by far the best.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #66: Jan 07, 2010 09:20:02 pm
      Few candidates in no particular order...

Silent Hill (PS1 I think) - There are plenty of games that can make you jump but no game (or film for that matter) has ever sh*t me up as much as the original Silent Hill game. Probably wouldn't work now because the graphics would seem so poor but the atmosphere of the game was extremely creepy.

Cannon Fodder (Amiga) - As funny as it was playable, spent countless hours on this.

Sensible World of Soccer (Amiga) - In it's own way, still the best football game out. A top-down view and played at a ridiculous pace with 20 yard sliding tackles and 60 yard banana-shots into the top corner.

Goldeneye (N64) - A huge step in the evolution of the FPS genre, this took games like DOOM and Wolfenstein to a new level and surely influenced the creation of more modern games such as Splinter Cell, Halo and CoD.

GTA III (PS2) - The first GTA game not to be top-down. The best thing about this game was that you could spend hours upon hours completing the missions, sub-missions and challenges and still go on just to cause chaos.

Super Mario Kart (SNES) - I never owned a SNES but a friend of mine did and aside from Street Fighter 2, this was the only game we would play. The game itself hasn't changed all that much over the years when Nintendo have brought out new consoles and there's good reason for that.

Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare (Xbox 360) - I haven't read through this whole thread but I'm guessing a lot has been said about this already. I was already a fan of the CoD series and this one didn't disappoint. Not only playable but absolutely stunning to look at and with excellent online multiplay to boot.

Delta Force : Black Hawk Down (PC) - The single player game was passable but what made this game was the online multiplayer. In terms of hours spent playing, nothing compares to this game. The trend nowadays is to load FPS multiplayer games with all sorts of tanks, planes and choppers but BHD concentrated on infantry and that's what made it great. Simplistic, maybe but I bet the people who made CoD4 : MW had played this game at some point!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #67: Jan 07, 2010 09:56:35 pm
      ^^^

Some top games there Rep.

Silent Hill was proper scary. Resident Evil may have been, in some people's opinions, a better game but Silent Hill did enough to make you want to switch the game off. :D
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #68: Jan 08, 2010 09:50:45 am
      Crash Bandicoot!! Cute little thing he was :D

Quick Reply