Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Where do we need strengthening for a title challenge

Read 41770 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Where do we need strengthening for a title challenge
      Reply #345: Mar 27, 2009 11:37:03 am
      I don't think Gerrard or his position is top of the list for needing a replacement.

Firstly, Gerrard is unique and connot be replaced. Second, a player capable of doing everything Gerrard does would not be happy sitting on the bench for the next five years.

If Gerrard is injured, Benayoun can play the role behind the striker, or we don't have to play a 4-2-3-1, we could play a 4-4-2 for example.

Positions that need strengthening? Not GK, not defence, not CM, not striker (perhaps a back up for Torres). Our wide midfield positions are the weakest and need stregthening in the summer IMO.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #346: Mar 27, 2009 11:37:56 am
      Transfer Fee. Rejected a more than 70 million quid offer from Man Citeh. Now certainly, this is Man Citeh we're talking about, but that still gives some proof as to his price.

Want. Villa does not want to leave Spain. Now, Liverpool would be the best "not spain" option for Villa, but we are still... not Spain. We are not even 'France' as Arsenal is, because Arsenal is a target for French Internationals, while players in Spain are still given preference.

Playstyle. Villa is a break player. Torres is a break player. When Torres and Villa play together, Torres changes his style from "break player" to "draw player". The partnership works for Spain because both of these players are heads and shoulders above anyone else up-front. Earlier in this thread this point explained more fully, so I'll leave it at the more abridged version.

Mascherano. Do you take him out of games to play the second ST?

Alonso. Do you take him out of games to play the second ST?

We are not United. We don't have the want or the money to leave 30million quid players on the sidelines. Keane was left on the sidelines and people were in an uproar. Nevertheless, the Keane saga has left many questions unanswered that will take years to come to light, but thats just an example.

I say O Martins. Newcastle are going to relegation, he'll want to jump ship surely, and has a strong finish. We don't need a peer to Torres, or a superior, what we need is a substitute.

I hope we sign Silva. Riera/Silva on the left, Babel can now play his preferred role, Ngog, Kuyt, and possible new signing will all be suitable alternatives for Torres. People forget Kuyt's first year. He can, and will, score. Babel can play on the right with Benny, as well.

Villa is not the answer.

Great post mate. Villa is not the answer.

Martins would be a great shout too, very explosive and would be great cover. Surely love to come to us regardless of his status within the team. 8 million, done deal. Less if they get relegated.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #347: Mar 27, 2009 11:58:13 am
      yes matins wants out of newcastle has the experience to put them in the net underated think the soap opera at newcastle upset his form. we need another striker to step in for injuries. carew would be a option he is unhappy at villa.
      Kawklee
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts | -3 
      Reply #348: Mar 27, 2009 04:34:53 pm
      I don't think Gerrard or his position is top of the list for needing a replacement.

Firstly, Gerrard is unique and connot be replaced. Second, a player capable of doing everything Gerrard does would not be happy sitting on the bench for the next five years.

If Gerrard is injured, Benayoun can play the role behind the striker, or we don't have to play a 4-2-3-1, we could play a 4-4-2 for example.

Positions that need strengthening? Not GK, not defence, not CM, not striker (perhaps a back up for Torres). Our wide midfield positions are the weakest and need stregthening in the summer IMO.

I contentiously disagree. Every position needs a viable replacement with a player that can bring the creativity needed. Now, Benny can play in the CAM, but what if he's out, or playing on the right? Silva, Riera, Babel can all rotate on the left. Silva can also come in for Gerro, as can Benny and Kuyt. You need options at least 3 deep for any main position. Never think that any position is 'off-limits', things can and will happen and being prepared is the most important step.

But, I also have potentially bad news: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N163789090327-1350.htm

This can mean genuine lack of interest or a feint maneuver
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #349: Mar 27, 2009 04:44:37 pm
      I contentiously disagree. Every position needs a viable replacement with a player that can bring the creativity needed. Now, Benny can play in the CAM, but what if he's out, or playing on the right?

I think you're taking things to the extreme. What if Gerrard was out, Benayoun was out, and the new signing was out? Would we need a fourth player in case the first three get injured?

If Gerrard is out Benayoun can replace him. In this case, we put Kuyt on the right, problem solved.

In the unlikely event of a large number of injuries racking up, we aren't obliged to stick to the same formation, as I mentioned in my earlier post. I don't think a player willing to be 3rd choice for a particular position would be of the standard required to play regular football at the highest level anyway, I'd be more willing to give one of the reserves a chance TBH.

As for the Silva link, it's been mentioned on the Summer Transfer board, on the player thread. And I agree about wanting to sign him as I have mentioned on his thread. The quality of a player like that is that he is so versatile and can replace any of our attacking midfield players without needing to sign a replacement per position.

Perhaps Rafa's denial of him as a target is a smoke-screen, or simply a way of stopping unnecessary speculation so early in the year.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,133 posts | 3379 
      Reply #350: Mar 27, 2009 04:52:12 pm
      Personally I wouldn't go near Martins in a million years. Two reasons;

1) He can't play the lone forward role at all well. Which means trying to fit him in would mean a reshuffle of the team and he's not worth that. He's got pace which suggests he should be able to play up top on his own but he can't hold the ball up well nor can he bring others into play. So asking him to be back up to Torres just wouldn't work because he can't do a job Torres does.

2) He's a greedy b***ard and tries to do too much on his own. Doesn't have the intellegence or awareness of what's around him. So even if we played him and Torres up front together they wouldn't work because they wouldn't link up. Plus they'd always be making the same sort of run.

For me the best player to be back up for Torres is Peter Crouch. He can play up top on his own with his ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play. He can also partner Torres if at all needed. The only problem with Crouchie is he doesn't wanna sit on our bench which I respect because it proves he wants to play football and not for money.

Carew is another option in the same mould but I don't think Villa would sell him to us, they're looking to break into the top four so they're not gonna sell their better players to their top four rivals. One player who I have been impressed with is Danny Sturridge from Man City. He's quick, skillful and drops off the front man but again I don't think he can play up top on his own which would mean a reshuffle of the team to fit him in.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #351: Mar 27, 2009 05:41:08 pm
      Personally I wouldn't go near Martins in a million years.

Same.
      I fancy Darren Bent. He hasn't had a constant run of games at spurs this season for whatever reason but i just think he's a natural scorer however...
      He's too similar to Torres and couldn't be played along side him. John Carew might be good though.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,133 posts | 3379 
      Reply #352: Mar 27, 2009 05:59:47 pm
      Same.
      I fancy Darren Bent. He hasn't had a constant run of games at spurs this season for whatever reason but i just think he's a natural scorer however...
      He's too similar to Torres and couldn't be played along side him. John Carew might be good though.

Bent falls into the same catergory as Martins for me mate. Quick with very little else. Not the strongest, not the most aware, not the best in the air, not even a great goalscorer in my opinion. If you're behind Pavalyachenko in the pecking order then that proves you're not good enough for Liverpool, even as a squad player.

I think what people have to take into consideration is players like Martins and Bent are good enough to play for teams like Newcastle as starters and if they have any sort of pride in themselves will stay at clubs where they'll be first choice rather than move to Liverpool where they're only chance of a game is a third round Carling Cup tie against Brighton or another injury to Torres. Those sort of players will be the ones sulking in the press that they're not getting games.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #353: Mar 28, 2009 07:58:51 am
      I'm upset about the fact that Rafa doesn't want to sign David Silva ...I think he's a great player very versatile , has pace can give in good crosses and can give the squad extra quality and may even be the diff form drawing 0-0 and winning all three points ..lets hope that his denial of Silva is just a way to not start speculation early in the year .. but the fact that its announced on the official site makes me worried ... I don't want Lennon or Downing ...yes they are English and proven in the prem they don't have the quality and aren't as versatile a David Silva  , plus I think he can link well with Torres . He may not be strong but hey ... most of the wingers in the prem aren't strong and they seem to be scoring goals . But you know ... whoever Rafa buys I trust that he's made the correct decisi
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #354: Mar 28, 2009 09:43:52 am
      I'm upset about the fact that Rafa doesn't want to sign David Silva ...I think he's a great player very versatile , has pace can give in good crosses and can give the squad extra quality and may even be the diff form drawing 0-0 and winning all three points ..lets hope that his denial of Silva is just a way to not start speculation early in the year .. but the fact that its announced on the official site makes me worried ... I don't want Lennon or Downing ...yes they are English and proven in the prem they don't have the quality and aren't as versatile a David Silva  , plus I think he can link well with Torres . He may not be strong but hey ... most of the wingers in the prem aren't strong and they seem to be scoring goals . But you know ... whoever Rafa buys I trust that he's made the correct decisi

In all fairness though, we do have Riera, Babel, even Benayoun and Kuyt who can play on the left hand side so it isn't really that suprising to me. Maybe he's looking for a right sided winger, but is he really going to replace Kuyt in his position? I can't see it myself.
      g.adair
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts |
      Reply #355: Mar 28, 2009 01:52:20 pm

In all fairness though, we do have Riera, Babel, even Benayoun and Kuyt who can play on the left hand side so it isn't really that suprising to me. Maybe he's looking for a right sided winger, but is he really going to replace Kuyt in his position? I can't see it myself.

I hope he does i think thats the only position we are lacking someone quality on the right.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #356: Mar 28, 2009 02:01:20 pm
      Personally I wouldn't go near Martins in a million years. Two reasons;

1) He can't play the lone forward role at all well. Which means trying to fit him in would mean a reshuffle of the team and he's not worth that. He's got pace which suggests he should be able to play up top on his own but he can't hold the ball up well nor can he bring others into play. So asking him to be back up to Torres just wouldn't work because he can't do a job Torres does.

2) He's a greedy b***ard and tries to do too much on his own. Doesn't have the intellegence or awareness of what's around him. So even if we played him and Torres up front together they wouldn't work because they wouldn't link up. Plus they'd always be making the same sort of run.

For me the best player to be back up for Torres is Peter Crouch. He can play up top on his own with his ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play. He can also partner Torres if at all needed. The only problem with Crouchie is he doesn't wanna sit on our bench which I respect because it proves he wants to play football and not for money.

Carew is another option in the same mould but I don't think Villa would sell him to us, they're looking to break into the top four so they're not gonna sell their better players to their top four rivals. One player who I have been impressed with is Danny Sturridge from Man City. He's quick, skillful and drops off the front man but again I don't think he can play up top on his own which would mean a reshuffle of the team to fit him in.

You said no to Martins because he cant play up top on his own and he's greedy but then mention Sturridge who isnt exactly the most team oriented player either and as you mention, cant play up top.

Bent is a goal scorer, Redknapp just doesnt fancy him. 15 goals with 24 starts and 16 sub appearance, most with not much left in the game and he has games here and there, not a run of them. Managers have favourites, Roman happens to be an expensive one.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #357: Mar 29, 2009 05:22:23 pm
      Although it's been years since Real have actually played him, so by now he could just be a rotting corpse.. What about Javier Saviola.
      Not a bad finisher, Real are looking to offload him, used to sitting on a bench, and he'd come on the cheap.
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #358: Mar 30, 2009 02:21:07 pm
      Hey everybody. I'm a huge LFC fan from Bosnia. I think Torres needs a strong partner in attack who can score and assist. I know this may sound silly but Bosnia has a great young striker(23 yrs. old) playing in bundesliga for Wolfsburg  who are currently second and have a chance of winning the title. His name is Edin Dzeko. He's very tall and allways puts pressure on the oposite defence. He scored 13 goals so far only in the bundesliga. I think he scored about 30 goals so far(bundesliga, cups, national team) this season. On saturday Bosnia played agains Belgium and won 4:2 with Dzeko scoring first magnificient goal and made one assist. I think Raffa should really check him out. Arsenal allready sent their scouts and declared interest. Sevilla FC sent 15 million euro offer. Other teams from PL like Portsmouth, Blackburn, Everton and Sunderland want to sign him but it's obvious that they can't pay for what he's worth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jNs8yDYh_c#
      You can check him out on Youtube.
      I wouldn't write this only because i'm LFC fan and bosnian but i just think he has a great future ahead of him and why not in Liverpool. YNWA ;) :)
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #359: Mar 30, 2009 02:37:32 pm
      Hey everybody. I'm a huge LFC fan from Bosnia. I think Torres needs a strong partner in attack who can score and assist. I know this may sound silly but Bosnia has a great young striker(23 yrs. old) playing in bundesliga for Wolfsburg  who are currently second and have a chance of winning the title. His name is Edin Dzeko. He's very tall and allways puts pressure on the oposite defence. He scored 13 goals so far only in the bundesliga. I think he scored about 30 goals so far(bundesliga, cups, national team) this season. On saturday Bosnia played agains Belgium and won 4:2 with Dzeko scoring first magnificient goal and made one assist. I think Raffa should really check him out. Arsenal allready sent their scouts and declared interest. Sevilla FC sent 15 million euro offer. Other teams from PL like Portsmouth, Blackburn, Everton and Sunderland want to sign him but it's obvious that they can't pay for what he's worth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jNs8yDYh_c#
      You can check him out on Youtube.
      I wouldn't write this only because I'm LFC fan and bosnian but I just think he has a great future ahead of him and why not in Liverpool. YNWA ;) :)
      Took his goal very well i'd have to see more of him but you never know he could be a good signing.
      Good post
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #360: Mar 30, 2009 02:47:42 pm

As for the Silva link, it's been mentioned on the Summer Transfer board, on the player thread. And I agree about wanting to sign him as I have mentioned on his thread. The quality of a player like that is that he is so versatile and can replace any of our attacking midfield players without needing to sign a replacement per position.

Perhaps Rafa's denial of him as a target is a smoke-screen, or simply a way of stopping unnecessary speculation so early in the year.

I really hope so too ..I still hope we can buy him he oozes class . It's still early and things can change come the transfer window.Lets hope Rafa changes his mind about David and Valencia lower their price from 30 mil to 20-25 mil .....but if they are reluctant to lower their price I still say we should go for him ...ppl raised eyebrows when we bought Nando and Masch for alot ..but look at what great signings they turned out to be ...Rafa shouldn't be afraid to spend big on a player who is worth it ...and I really think David Silva is worth it  !
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #361: Mar 30, 2009 02:53:29 pm
      I like him, he's your European version of Peter Crouch. Tall, strong, can hold the ball and a good passing game but he scores goals which is the main thing, incredible technique too. 15 million euros? Isnt that like 15 million pounds with the exchange rate? Might be abit steep but his worth to his team is massive so he wont go cheap.
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #362: Mar 30, 2009 03:03:23 pm
      I like him, he's your European version of Peter Crouch. Tall, strong, can hold the ball and a good passing game but he scores goals which is the main thing, incredible technique too. 15 million euros? Isnt that like 15 million pounds with the exchange rate? Might be abit steep but his worth to his team is massive so he wont go cheap.

He's going to a big club, that's for sure. I think that 15 million euros is like 12 mill pounds. You're wright... He won't go cheap but i think Wolfsburg would let him go for about 20 mil euros or a bit more. He won't be going anywhere after this season but Wolfsburg coach Felix Magath said that only a good offer from a good club would make him change his mind and let him go(don't know how much that is) but since he turned down an offer from Sevilla (15 mil euro) it would have to be a greater offer than that. You will see a lot more from him if we qualify for the world cup :)
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #363: Mar 30, 2009 03:17:50 pm
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #364: Mar 31, 2009 03:41:04 am
      Dobar vam je ovaj Dzeko.

Dobro bi nam doso ovdje i bio opasan pokraj Torresa za mene je kao Ibrahimovic ali jos brzi!

Dobro doso na najbolji forum  ;)
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #365: Mar 31, 2009 09:03:46 am
      what about eto we need to load up on some experienced strikers who are consistant.weak points petulant not a team leader in dressing room,moody,tends to be lippy.could be past his prime but at 18 mill he can put the ball in the net. might feel real comfortable with spanish players around might be his comfort zone. any opinions anyone?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #366: Mar 31, 2009 10:14:57 am
      I am guessing you have seen the daily mirror today wallbanger? :) I was happy to see us linked with him, i would definitely have him for 18m. That would be a bargain in my eyes for a player who has been constantly OUTSTANDING for Barca for the past so many years. Him and Torres upfront = unstoppable. Thats how i can see us improving, by signing a player of his calibre.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #367: Mar 31, 2009 10:32:29 am
      I am guessing you have seen the daily mirror today wallbanger? :) I was happy to see us linked with him, I would definitely have him for 18m. That would be a bargain in my eyes for a player who has been constantly OUTSTANDING for Barca for the past so many years. Him and Torres upfront = unstoppable. Thats how I can see us improving, by signing a player of his calibre.

I've mentioned this before in the summer transfers board ...under the Eto'o thread ....we don't need him ..and 18mil is alot to spend on a player we don't need ...we should save that money and use it for someone we really need. eto'o is great and all but his attitude stinks and Torres can't play with another striker up front ..I don't want to say everything all over again so can u guys just check out what I had to sya in the summer transfer board ....

Quick Reply