Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

When did LFC players get their own songs?

Read 952 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      When did LFC players get their own songs?
      Mar 02, 2009 08:24:34 am
      I have been thinking about when we first start associating our players with songs.

Now I have been fortunate enough to watch the likes of Billy Liddell,Albert Stubbins,Bob Paisley,Bill Jones show their skills at Anfield,but i do not recall any of those players having their names coupled with songs.

The first player I can recall being associated with a song was Ian StJ ohn with when the Saint goes marching in and that was I believe the start of singing songs with certain players in mind.

I would be interested to know if other posters recall any players before the sixties. I thought this might take your minds of Boro.
      « Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009 10:54:44 am by JD, Reason: Changed title. »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Re: When did LFC players get their own songs?
      Reply #1: Mar 02, 2009 10:59:34 am
      Good topic.

Interested in the answer to this.

When the golden oldies have got back from the Post Office they might be able to help us out.

I've often wondered what kind of atmosphere, and even if there was one back in the pre-Shanks days.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: When did LFC players get their own songs?
      Reply #2: Mar 02, 2009 06:50:35 pm
       JD i would say there always was an atmosphere at Anfield but it came alive when Bill Shankly arrived at the club.Before the songs it used to be a good laugh listening to the smart alecs on the KOP,they always had something funny to say about our own players as well as the opposition.One of the best songs at Anfield had to be the spontaneous reaction to Gary Sprake when he threw the ball into his own goal,-Careless Hands.

Quick Reply