Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Champions League QF/SF Draw (Reds get Chel$ki)

Read 30869 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Champions League QF/SF Draw (Reds get Chel$ki)
      Reply #322: Mar 20, 2009 02:44:49 pm
      If we assume both us and the Mancs reach the final, we're the home team and they're the away team.

Red v White. Is it written once again?
      aksh_jaj245
      • Forum David Johnson

• 238 posts |
      Reply #323: Mar 20, 2009 02:51:11 pm
      Rafa has been spot on against Chelsea all the times..
      Last year a bizzare own goal from one of our favourites caused the match.. i'm not accusing the player..
      i still love him...it could happen to anyone..

but Rafa was spot on.. we could have won it 2-1 on aggregate and they wouldnt have scored an away goal..
      we're beatin chelsea just like we beat Inter last year...Need i say more  ;-)

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #324: Mar 20, 2009 02:52:29 pm
      Last year a bizzare own goal from one of our favourites caused the match.. i'm not accusing the player..
      i still love him...it could happen to anyone..

Speak for yourself lad.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #325: Mar 20, 2009 02:58:33 pm
      Since it's seem to be more important to discuss United I shall follow the trend.

Porto knocked United out not so long ago.
      Villareal have not conceeded to United in four Champions League games.
      Arsenal have already beaten United once this season.

We on the other hand have Chelsea who've we done the double over already this season, Barcelona who haven't beaten us in their own ground in Europe (I think that's right Toshack's goal, 0-0 in UEFA of 01 and Bellamy/|Riise in 06/07) or Bayern who the last time we played them in the Super Cup final we were 3-0 up by half time (or very closely after). This Liverpool side has every club in Europe bricking it and especially teams like Chelsea and Barcelona who we seem to have a strangle hold over.

Everyone thinks United have an easy route to the final? Bollocks, there's no easy games at this stage of the competition. Fair enough they may have the not as strong teams but they still have to win those games which won't be a walk in the park. It's still difficult for them, esepcially if they're under pressure in the league and still going in the FA Cup. Plus for teams like United, they'd much prefer teams who play open expansive football like a Barcelona because that suits their style more than those who are slightly more direct.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #326: Mar 20, 2009 03:04:17 pm
      Just got this from elsewhere by a fella named owzat.

CL Records (English Clubs)

Liverpool vs Chelsea : P8 W2 D4 L2 F5 A5 (Won 25.00%)
      Man Utd vs Porto : P4 W1 D2 L1 F6 A3 (Won 25.00%)
      Arsenal vs Villareal : P2 W1 D1 L0 F1 A0 (Won 50.00%)

Possible SFs

Liverpool vs Bayern Munich : n/a
      Liverpool vs Barcelona : P4 W1 D1 L2 F3 A5 (Won 25.00%)

Chelsea vs Bayern Munich : P2 W1 D0 L1 F6 A5 (Won 50.00%)
      Chelsea vs Barcelona : P8 W3 D2 L3 F14 A15 (Won 37.50%)

Arsenal vs Porto : P4 W2 D1 L1 F6 A2 (Won 50.00%)
      Man Utd vs Arsenal : n/a
      Man Utd vs Villareal : P4 W0 D4 L0 F0 A0 (Won 0.00%)

And possible finals involving current QF sides that have been finals in the European Cup

2008 Man Utd 1-1 Chelsea
      2006 Barcelona 2-1 Arsenal
      1999 Man Utd 2-1 Bayern Munich
      1987 Porto 2-1 Bayern Munich

Villareal have never reached the final. Despite winning the most European Cups of all the remaining teams, Liverpool have never played any of the others in the final.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #327: Mar 20, 2009 03:05:49 pm
      I'd much rather have United's side of the draw though.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #328: Mar 20, 2009 03:08:05 pm
      Some interesting stats there DLS, cheers. ;)

See, it wasn't that bad discussing the other teams was it? :D

Joking aside, I do see your point of focussing on our tie, and I aren't too fussed about facing Chelsea again. We've been there before, and knocked them out before.

Our form against them this season leaves me certain of us progressing to the semi-final stage!
      aksh_jaj245
      • Forum David Johnson

• 238 posts |
      Reply #329: Mar 20, 2009 03:14:32 pm
      well well  riise has was an excellent player.. and it was a genuine mistake..

and DLS.. truly good work man..

redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #330: Mar 20, 2009 03:22:13 pm
      Since it's seem to be more important to discuss United I shall follow the trend.

Porto knocked United out not so long ago.
      Villareal have not conceeded to United in four Champions League games.
      Arsenal have already beaten United once this season.

We on the other hand have Chelsea who've we done the double over already this season, Barcelona who haven't beaten us in their own ground in Europe (I think that's right Toshack's goal, 0-0 in UEFA of 01 and Bellamy/|Riise in 06/07) or Bayern who the last time we played them in the Super Cup final we were 3-0 up by half time (or very closely after). This Liverpool side has every club in Europe bricking it and especially teams like Chelsea and Barcelona who we seem to have a strangle hold over.

Everyone thinks United have an easy route to the final? Bollocks, there's no easy games at this stage of the competition. Fair enough they may have the not as strong teams but they still have to win those games which won't be a walk in the park. It's still difficult for them, esepcially if they're under pressure in the league and still going in the FA Cup. Plus for teams like United, they'd much prefer teams who play open expansive football like a Barcelona because that suits their style more than those who are slightly more direct.

Great insight this. Gives me a sense of optimism and my united friends just think it would be an easy walk to Rome. But imagine if I rub this right in their f**king face!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #331: Mar 20, 2009 03:22:52 pm
      Joking aside, I do see your point of focussing on our tie, and I aren't too fussed about facing Chelsea again. We've been there before, and knocked them out before.

Our form against them this season leaves me certain of us progressing to the semi-final stage!

I'm not fussed we got Chelsea either mate. In fact I'm over the moon about it. Liverpool - Chelsea games always have that electric atmoshphere and make the games even more enjoyable.

I'm not certain we'll go through, although I do expect it, because obviously there's 180 minutes plus of football to be played. But we have had the beating of them this season even if that was under Scolari and not Hiddink. It's a good draw for Liverpool because it's less travelling for us which at this stage of the season is important. Plus it's a side we know well unlike Bayern and Villareal who, if memory serves me right, we haven't played under Benitez? We know Chelsea's threats and how to nullify them.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #332: Mar 20, 2009 03:23:22 pm
      well well  riise has was an excellent player

Again, speak for yourself. Could hit a ball hard i do recall but couldnt defend.

When everyone asked why i wanted Scum in the next round, i said, 'To be the best, you have to beat the best' and that sums up our half of the draw for mine. Roma 09, will be our best of all.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #333: Mar 20, 2009 03:27:09 pm
      It's a good draw for Liverpool because it's less travelling for us which at this stage of the season is important. Plus it's a side we know well unlike Bayern and Villareal who, if memory serves me right, we haven't played under Benitez? We know Chelsea's threats and how to nullify them.

I had that thought about less travelling for our squad myself.

It might seem insignificant, but it's one more factor in our favour. Another reason for the players to be less tired than the rest of the top four (except Chelsea!), and at the closing stages of the season, every little helps.

I thought we should have beaten them last season in the semis, and I reckon Benitez and his staff will prepare the players tactically this year. I can't see us getting knocked out over the two legs.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #334: Mar 20, 2009 03:31:44 pm
      I had that thought about less travelling for our squad myself.

It might seem insignificant, but it's one more factor in our favour. Another reason for the players to be less tired than the rest of the top four (except Chelsea!), and at the closing stages of the season, every little helps.

I thought we should have beaten them last season in the semis, and I reckon Benitez and his staff will prepare the players tactically this year. I can't see us getting knocked out over the two legs.

On regards to the travel issue, that's why it'd be even nicer to get Bayern in the semis. Germany is closer and not as hot/humid as Spain. Like you say it may not be the biggest factor but it helps none the less.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #335: Mar 20, 2009 03:52:47 pm
      I can see Rafa masterminding the Chavs...yet again!! I'm very much looking forward to this.
      Alfie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #336: Mar 20, 2009 04:07:11 pm
      I'm going for a Liverpool v Arsenal final guys,after we beat Barca in semi's. Undoubtedly a difficult half of the draw but we have beaten all these teams ( except Bayern ) in the last few years ,so no fear ! I bet they are not happy about playing us though  :) ;D
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #337: Mar 20, 2009 04:23:30 pm
      Not worried about anyone, by our timetable we're due back in the final after our year off last year( apparently its just not fair being in it evey year) 
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #338: Mar 20, 2009 04:23:59 pm
      We will beat chelski and then go on to play Barca and get Arsenal in the final which we will win  :aaliverpoolwz0: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      skrtelivision
      • Skrtelivision
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Reply #339: Mar 20, 2009 04:44:02 pm
      If we assume both us and the Mancs reach the final, we're the home team and they're the away team.

Red v White. Is it written once again?

I never thought about that. Imagine beating Manure in the final that would show them who the kings of europe are.
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #340: Mar 20, 2009 05:16:31 pm
      Soooo, chelsea again then, i got a text earlier in school and at first i was like aww not again but no point giving off about it because at this stage, every game is as hard as each other so whether we got chelsea, porto, man u, arsenal, villareal, barcelona or bayern munich, it doesn't matter. I'm confident we can beat chelsea and progress. As for man u's draw, well yet again they SEEM to have got the easier side but i'm not worrying about them, concentrating on what we have to do!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #341: Mar 20, 2009 05:26:00 pm
      Just bring it on,none of the sides present us with more difficulty than we've had to cope with thus far both on the field and off,at last we're getting some positive input this should affect attitude on the field.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #342: Mar 20, 2009 05:35:56 pm
      Borrrrring.

Can't we at least play a European side in a European competition anymore?

Certainly the toughest passage to the final which ever way you look at it. But we feed off big games.

Come on you mighty reds!!!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #343: Mar 20, 2009 05:39:46 pm
      At least we'll get a foreign team after beating these eh :)

I'm pretty confident about Chelsea, we can do them.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #344: Mar 20, 2009 06:13:48 pm
      what made me laugh went to espn soccer they were discussing the draw for about 3-4 minutes man utd got about 2 minutes. then right about 10 seconds from the end they talk about liverpool v chelsea they did say liverpool would win though

Quick Reply