Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Ronnie Moran instead of Roy Evans?

Read 1846 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Ronnie Moran instead of Roy Evans?
      Mar 21, 2009 08:50:14 am
      I was thinking would things have been better if Ronnie Moran was made manager instead of Roy Evans in 1994.The reason I ask is I think Roy was too nice and I feel Ronnie Moran could of done a better job for us.This is not a Roy Evans assassination but I would be interested in posters opinions .Roy Evans did a fantastic job with the reserves but he had plenty of experience to guide him.Mods I apologise if this thread has been done before,if it has feel free to delete it.
      « Last Edit: Mar 21, 2009 11:26:49 am by JD, Reason: Title made a bit more specific »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Roy Evans/Ronnie Moran
      Reply #1: Mar 21, 2009 09:54:34 am
      No I think Roy's time had come. Ronnie was perhaps too old at that stage and was better off doing the job he did. Roy ad seen it all hadn't he. Learned various things from the managers he worked under and had his own ideas.

I actually think Roy was unlucky. His team played some cracking football. He was let down to often by clowns like Ruddock and James. He has come as close as Rafa and Houllier to winning the title which I think some people forget. Going back to Ronnie well he would have been a great help to Roy. Hes a true legend probably underestimated in his role at the club.

So Billy to answer your question I think it was right to give Roy the job ahead of Ronnie
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: Roy Evans/Ronnie Moran
      Reply #2: Mar 21, 2009 11:25:57 am
      Roy Evans just lacked that bit of grit that would have made him a great boss.  He took over at a time when money started flooding the game and the landscape of football changed.

Players with modelling deals and all that type stuff.  It must have seemed all pretty alien to him at the time.

I don't know what went wrong but somewhere along the line the ethos of the club changed.  Ronnie Moran was great at what he did but I agree - he was probably too old at that stage to be up to what was a huge task.

Which brings us on to Houllier, who I have a great deal of respect for for turning our club back on to the right path.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Re: Ronnie Moran instead of Roy Evans?
      Reply #3: Mar 21, 2009 12:59:29 pm
      I think Roy Evans did a great job during his spell. He had to mop up the mess Souness left us in and was unlucky to manage us when United were really starting to build.

Ronnie was exceptional in his job as were Sammy Lee, Doug Livermore and Mark Leatherhead. That coaching staff with the players we had and the way we played would of won the league year in year out had it not been for United. We were exciting to watch, scored plenty of goals and we just lacked somebody with any real talent to partner Mark Wright at the heart of the defence as well as a decent keeper.
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #4: Mar 21, 2009 01:16:59 pm
      I liked the Evans' team. Great ball playing sides, just lacked backbone.

Moran was probably to old to be manager at the time and i don't know if he would of fancied the job at any stage in his career. Then again Paisley and Fagan were reluctant to take it.

paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #5: Mar 21, 2009 01:41:00 pm
      I think Roy Evans did a great job during his spell. He had to mop up the mess Souness left us in and was unlucky to manage us when United were really starting to build.

Ronnie was exceptional in his job as were Sammy Lee, Doug Livermore and Mark Leatherhead. That coaching staff with the players we had and the way we played would of won the league year in year out had it not been for United. We were exciting to watch, scored plenty of goals and we just lacked somebody with any real talent to partner Mark Wright at the heart of the defence as well as a decent keeper.
      Well said mate, I agree with the lot. I liked Roys teams, the way they played an all, just lacked a midfield general. I always feel Roy never got the credit He deserved, and as you said we would have won the league if it wasnt for Utd. And all people ever seem to recall is those white suits at Wembley. Fowler , Mcmanaman and remember Rob Jones [what a rb he would have been] all from that side. And I think Ronnie Moran was only meant to be a coach, i think thats all he wanted to be. Pissed me off hearing how he was treated by the likes of Collymore in Carras book.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #6: Mar 21, 2009 01:58:30 pm
      Well said mate, I agree with the lot. I liked Roys teams, the way they played an all, just lacked a midfield general. I always feel Roy never got the credit He deserved, and as you said we would have won the league if it wasnt for Utd. And all people ever seem to recall is those white suits at Wembley. Fowler , Mcmanaman and remember Rob Jones [what a rb he would have been] all from that side. And I think Ronnie Moran was only meant to be a coach, i think thats all he wanted to be. Pissed me off hearing how he was treated by the likes of Collymore in Carras book.

I think we had the midfield general mate. I think Redknapp and Barnes were just that. Not the hard men if you like but ran the mdfield on a regular basis. Then obviously in came Paul Ince to replace Barnes as the experince in the middle of the park.

What we lacked was somebody to partner Wright. Which considering the men Evans worked under both as a player and then coach is a surprise because we always built from the back. Jones/McAteer as right wing back and Stig/Jones on the other flank was perfect but it was the heart of the defence. Mark Wright, in my opinion, would of been rated as a legend if he was any other Liverpool era but because of what he had beside him (Babb, Scales, Ruddock, Kvarme) he looked an average defender. Put Sami and Carra in that side and the league would of been ours in my opinion.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #7: Mar 21, 2009 02:08:20 pm
      Mark Wright, in my opinion, would of been rated as a legend if he was any other Liverpool era but because of what he had beside him (Babb, Scales, Ruddock, Kvarme) he looked an average defender.

What apart from the interview he did for the S*n, when Evans had slagged him after the pre-season mauling by Bolton!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #8: Mar 21, 2009 02:10:02 pm
      Yes apart from that Huyton.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #9: Mar 21, 2009 02:15:01 pm
      Don't agree mate, and the funny thing is, so doe's Mark Wright.

My dad met him last year in Town, in fact spent half the night bevvying with him, during that time they were chatting about footie and his time at Liverpool and even he felt he would never be regarded as a Legend at Liverpool, possibly because he was another that loved going on the piss, and unfortunately it did affect his performances.

Top bloke though, and I still remember some of his shenanigans when he was in charge of Southport.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #10: Mar 21, 2009 08:25:06 pm
      [
      What we lacked was somebody to partner Wright. Which considering the men Evans worked under both as a player and then coach is a surprise because we always built from the back. Jones/McAteer as right wing back and Stig/Jones on the other flank was perfect but it was the heart of the defence. Mark Wright, in my opinion, would of been rated as a legend if he was any other Liverpool era but because of what he had beside him (Babb, Scales, Ruddock, Kvarme) he looked an average defender. Put Sami and Carra in that side and the league would of been ours in my opinion.
      [/quote]Well said DLS totally agree, put a Carra in along side Wright and we would have won the league.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #11: Mar 21, 2009 09:28:29 pm
      [
      Well said DLS totally agree, put a Carra in along side Wright and we would have won the league.

Find some of this a bit harsh, Babb, Scales and Ruddock all together had a fairly good season together in 94/95 and part of 95/96 until Scales was sold back to Spurs.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #12: Mar 22, 2009 08:10:47 am
      Thank you for the replies to this thread,you all made valid points which I accept.One point I would like to make is Moran signed professional with the club in 1952 and retired in 1998,so ranks alongside our Bob Paisley and Billy Liddell in giving long and excellent service to the club.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #13: Mar 22, 2009 08:15:32 am
      Evans was unlucky for 3 reasons;

1) souness left him a pile of crap to manage!
      2) struggled to get good defenders!
      3) manure were well on their way to domination!

Apart from that we played great footi, seen some legends at the club come through, fowler etc.

Also the club was still stuck in the 80's, and the young lads were enjoying fame and fortune a bit too much, I think Evans was maybe too nice, but if you read caras book he says evans did dish it out when he had too.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #14: Mar 23, 2009 10:46:32 am
      I liked Roy Evans teams they played good football. Not sure why they felt the need to bring in Houlier when they did it was a bit of a stab in the back really.
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #15: Mar 23, 2009 11:20:03 am
      Roy played great football and was a great manager he helped bring through Gerrard and Carragher and without him I think they would be different players who they are today if it wasn't for him.
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #16: Mar 23, 2009 12:12:58 pm
      Ronnie Moran was the first to see the potential of Carragher in defense, because he did used to be up front, so we all have to thank him for that.
      liveforreds
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #17: Mar 23, 2009 02:12:02 pm
      I heard he was offered the job on a couple of occasions but turned it down

Quick Reply