Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Will The International Break Make or Break Our Season?

Read 4229 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Will The International Break Make or Break Our Season?
      Mar 22, 2009 06:15:52 pm
      After scoring 13 goals in 3 games against 3 very good teams and taking 6 points off United in that time (thanks Fulham :D) we have got one hell of a good run going and the momentum of the players is just getting better and better where as United's momentum is getting worse. But now we will have 2 weeks until we next play.

The Key Pro's Of This International Break:

- Leaves United stewing on their 2 defeats in a row longer
      - Carragher gets a break along with a few others
      - Gives Rafa longer to study the next opponent
      - United players pick up injury?

The Key Cons Of The International Break:

- They are a god for saken curse for us
      - Key players could get injured for us
      - Could give United time to overcome the defeats and move on

IMO this international break will be ok and wont mess up our rhythm providing none of our players pick up an injury because Rafa is more than likely going to keep them in the mid set they are in.

United have Vidic suspended for 1 more game and will be without both Rooney and Scholes for the next game so the break wont benefit United in that aspect as well as having Berbatov out injured for 2-3 weeks and Pompey will be confident after beating the Bitters so I think they could grab at least a draw. If United hadn't had them players sent off I would be more concerned about the break, but none the less I will still be paying the likes of Ronaldo, Rio and Evra get injured.

Your thoughts?
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Will The International Break Make or Break Our Season?
      Reply #1: Mar 22, 2009 08:09:59 pm
      Although we have an international break coming up, I feel it will do us good.  Resting players who need it at a crucial time of the season, don't forget we had a break (FA Cup weekend) before we went on this brilliant run of form.  With any luck our international stars will come back injury free and raring to go in the final part of the season.

United are under so much pressure right now, they won't forget that in a hurry, it will give them longer to stew.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #2: Mar 22, 2009 08:18:23 pm
      I think it can only be a positive thing provided they still injury free, give them time to stew and reflect on their 4-1 defeat.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #3: Mar 22, 2009 08:24:00 pm
      I don't think it's a good thing for our players personally. Loss of momentum for them and gives Benitez less time with most of the players to work on the Fulham game. Can you imagine how our Spanish lads will come back if they get beat? (I know they haven't been beaten in about 27 games or so, but it'll happen one day). If Spain win then yeah it'll be great but most of our lads aren't even in the Spanish first XI and the one who is, Torres, very rarely plays well for Spain because it doesn't suit his style of play.

I don't think this could of come at a worst time for us. International breaks are great when you need to clear your head and forget, but when you're playing well like we are you just want to keep playing and keep that form up. Stevie is another, he doesn't play in the same position for England as he does for us so even his momentum will suffer.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Mar 22, 2009 08:35:34 pm
      But the advantage with Gerrard is that the Premiership is the only thing he hasn't lifted as a Liverpool player and it is the one trophy he will fight tooth and nail for and is so determined to get so it doesn't make a difference how he performs for England.

Also in recent games when he hasn't played well for England and even got booed, when he next played for Liverpool it was against Newcastle and their fans booed him because of his bad performance but he went on to get man of the match for us, put in a truly stunning performance and nearly rip Shay Given's goal net off.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Mar 22, 2009 08:49:38 pm
      The way i see it, its longer for the Mancs to think about us coming back to overhaul them. Other than that, it does take some stride out of our run.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #6: Mar 22, 2009 08:58:38 pm
      Hi guys im a newbie here.

The way i'm thinking of it is that Rafa will ensure the players are well aware that the momentum needs to be continued for when they get back training for liverpool.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa will give them all a DVD of our recent performances to watch over and over again whilst they are sitting in their room whilst on duty for their countries!

I feel that yes United may come back stronger than what they have been but to be honest we all expect that anyway. Villa will not be a pushover for them. I can almost guarantee that M'ON will play a little more defensive in his line up and want a draw.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #7: Mar 22, 2009 08:59:01 pm
      Its come at a bad ime for us,weve got all the momentam at the minute and this could be a distraction for us.I just prey all our players come back injury free.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #8: Mar 22, 2009 09:15:39 pm
      I personally can't stand these breaks for internationals, I'd like to see England do well , but not at the expense of Liverpool. Im with Carra on that one! It will severely piss me off if this in any way derails our efforts in the premiership. Its the same for us all , but we seem to suffer with injury more than others. Is Yossi going to Israel, anyone know? Anyway all being well hopefully when they return, coz we've got utd sweating now, Yes they have experience of the run in, but they will not like being reeled in , especially by us! ;)
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #9: Mar 22, 2009 09:20:33 pm
      I am unsure how this will work out for our players but what I think will make a big difference is the competition. Fulham do not have many international players so their team will just get a good rest up and at the same time potentially lose some mental edge because when they come to us Man Utd will have been 2 weeks back. Our boys will have some game time and as long as we can make it through the break with no injuries I see no reason why our form will not continue.

What excites me the most is the effect it will have on Aston Villa! After a drumming like we just gave them they will need the break to mentally reconnect and I have faith in them that they will. They will come up against a weakened United and Villa right now are hungry to get this form out of them. The break will put some fire in their eyes and hopefully see them come back fresh mentally and physically which Agbonlahor needs badly.

This break will not make or break our season, the games we play will. If we want it enough we will come out and continue this form which I don't see us losing over an international break.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,363 posts | 1538 
      Reply #10: Mar 22, 2009 09:36:21 pm
      As well as wanting to keep the momentum going when your on a good run of form. When you've been stuffed you can't wait for your next game to put thing right. Getting a rest when on top form is not as damaging mentaly as not being able to get at the next game following a trouncing. As long as we don't suffer any injuries to key players, I think the break will be more damaging to the scum than to us. Especially when on our return, we can hopefully beat Fulham, and be top before the scum play. A bit more pressure for them to handle. Also, with thier current suspensions and injuries, I think we now have a bigger and stronger squad for the first match after the break. Ha Ha Ha.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #11: Mar 22, 2009 11:54:08 pm
      Anybody have a full list of who is going on international duty from us and where they're headed.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #12: Mar 23, 2009 12:11:58 am
      I think it's the usual suspects:

Gerrard, Torres, Reina, Arbeloa, Riera, Alonso, Skrtel, Agger, Kuyt, Babel, Benayoun, Dossena and Mascherano.

That's most of our first XI :(
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #13: Mar 23, 2009 12:15:00 am
      I really am praying our key players don't get injured of course I'll be keeping an eye on Stevie G when I watch England but I can't say the same for Spain's matches.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #14: Mar 23, 2009 12:16:42 am
      It gives Aston Villa (united next opponents) time to get back to the drawing board, and prepare for the game. They wont have many players on international duty so that gives them advanatage over united.

In other hand united would like to get back to winning ways to end the spell of they crumbling form.... but they have to wait for 2 weeks for next game so this really could effect their mind.

If anything, all we have to hope it our players come back with a healthy condition.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #15: Mar 23, 2009 12:22:18 am
      Anybody have a full list of who is going on international duty from us and where they're headed.

Gerrard - England
      Skrtel - England and Czech Republic
      Alonso, Pepe, Reira, Arboloa, Torres - Spain and Turkey
      Kuyt, Babel - Scotland and Holland
      Yossi - Israel and Greece
      Agger - Malta and Denmark
      Sami - Wales
      Javi - Argentina and Chile
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #16: Mar 23, 2009 12:35:22 am
      Gerrard - England
      Skrtel - England and Czech Republic
      Alonso, Pepe, Reira, Arboloa, Torres - Spain and Turkey
      Kuyt, Babel - Scotland and Holland
      Yossi - Israel and Greece
      Agger - Malta and Denmark
      Sami - Wales
      Javi - Argentina and Chile

Cheers fella and judging by that I think Masch will be given a rest after doing all that travelling. As might a few of the Spanish lads after a long trip to Turkey and back again. Might also give Skrtel a rest against Fulham with Sami getting the nod as he's only going to Wales and Martin is off to Czech Republic.
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #17: Mar 23, 2009 12:37:12 am
      I hope nobody gets injured but the one who seems to get injured the most on International duty is Torres, we don't want him out for any longer. I know he didn't do to much in the game today but he was still there and moving, his movement allowed space for others to get into. And I'm sure next game he plays he will get his touch back and will be scoring goals again, he could be crucial to us if we are struggling for a win and he pops up to score the winner.

But weather the break will be good or not I cannot say, there are good things and bad things about it, probably one of the worst things is that Fulham will all be at home while our players will be away on duty, also the majority of Aston Villa players will be left behind too which could be good so they can have a rest and do us a favor and beat United.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,824 posts | 6771 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #18: Mar 23, 2009 01:09:24 am
      Some very valid points raised for both sides.

Personally, I'm regretting this break. Our boys are on fire, you just want that momentum to keep going. Whereas, United are really hurting...don't want to give them time to regroup.

On our form, going to Fulham you would think we could do a major number on them. They would probably be cock a hoop that they beat United and may have just let their guard down against us.

As for Villa, they would desperately want to make amends for their poor performance at Anfield. Martin would have them right fired up for the match at OT. With the way the United dressing room is at the moment (seem to be in a shambles), might have been the perfect time for Villa to go there and take out their frustrations on a Manc team that is cracking up in front of our very own eyes.
      nivoi_rhu
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #19: Mar 23, 2009 02:28:25 am
      Agreed with AussieRed on this point...
      Villa got a good wake up call from us & thus will be more fired to perform at OT...
      If not, their CL placing will be in real jeopardy...
      If carew can play like the way he played, popping up whenever he likes, he is definitely going to be the thorn in Mancs defense given that vidic is still out through suspension...
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #20: Mar 23, 2009 04:43:11 am
      Only time will tell whether the break will be good or bad for us.

Liverpool and Utd could both potentially lose key players and therefore could be key in the destination of the title.

People mention us losing our momentum. I cant really see that happening. Every single player believes they CAN win the title now and this will spur them on regardless of the break.

It dose give the mancs time to regroup but it also leaves them in the state of mind they are in now for longer. On the back of two defeats and 3 sendings off...it is certain that theyre players are now feeling the pressure. They know one more slip up and we are RIGHT back in there. The fact that this will be playing on there minds for longer before there next game only benefits us.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #21: Mar 23, 2009 04:53:03 am
      Though no one can argue that we would have loved to play our next match as soon as possible but same is with Mancs.They also would have liked to get out on the pitch & get some positive result so even though its a bit unfavourable for us,for them its worse.They would be pondering & brooding over their defeats for much longer now.

Also Aston Villa will get some time to reorganise themselves & rest a few players since they dont have many internationals in their squad.One major reason for their disappointing performances recently has been the fatigue which seems to be catching up with their players as dont have a big squad to pick from & they put out almost the same XI week after week.Hope they get some good rest & put one across the Scums.They(Villa) surely cant lose 3 on the trot.

Lets just hope Torres comes back unscathed out of his international duties.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #22: Mar 23, 2009 07:46:14 am
       I think its about time the clubs stood up to F.I.F.A-E.U.F.A. and the local F.Associations and stopped these friendlies and internationals at critical times of the year.Compensation is no good to a club if players come back injured after playing internationals.
      nivoi_rhu
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #23: Mar 23, 2009 08:08:18 am
      If anybody who can stop all these friendlies & internationals etc, it has to be mr blatter himself...
      but i do not see him agreeing though...
      can guess what he is thinking... take the 6+5 rule for example...
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #24: Mar 23, 2009 08:09:14 am
      After scoring 13 goals in 3 games against 3 very good teams and taking 6 points off United in that time (thanks Fulham :D) we have got one hell of a good run going and the momentum of the players is just getting better and better where as United's momentum is getting worse. But now we will have 2 weeks until we next play.

The Key Pro's Of This International Break:

- Leaves United stewing on their 2 defeats in a row longer
      - Carragher gets a break along with a few others
      - Gives Rafa longer to study the next opponent
      - United players pick up injury?

The Key Cons Of The International Break:

- They are a god for saken curse for us
      - Key players could get injured for us
      - Could give United time to overcome the defeats and move on

IMO this international break will be ok and wont mess up our rhythm providing none of our players pick up an injury because Rafa is more than likely going to keep them in the mid set they are in.

United have Vidic suspended for 1 more game and will be without both Rooney and Scholes for the next game so the break wont benefit United in that aspect as well as having Berbatov out injured for 2-3 weeks and Pompey will be confident after beating the Bitters so I think they could grab at least a draw. If United hadn't had them players sent off I would be more concerned about the break, but none the less I will still be paying the likes of Ronaldo, Rio and Evra get injured.

Your thoughts?
      I'm more worried about Torres! he doesn't travel for Spain to well !
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #25: Mar 23, 2009 08:12:49 am
      United players legs to shake and shiver as the day goes by. They will be left pondering what it could have been if they had beaten fulham! But now 2 weeks without a game and probably their cracking up. Those people who are not called up will just sit all day long and get worried/downcast and probably their confidence would even be at fm's VERY POOR after this week!
      redtiptoe
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts |
      Reply #26: Mar 23, 2009 09:02:56 am
      I hate these internationals, but in a way it does give certain senior members time to recover. Only time will tell if we lose form but hopefully we won't. Next game back Fulham away so not easy but very winnable. The scum on the other hand Villa who have just been beaten well by us and will be hammered by there boss looking for a performance.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #27: Mar 23, 2009 09:34:49 am
      I think it is more harmful to UTD thi stime as ferguson cant sort out the problems his side has ( you would need a psychiatrist for that) until they get back, We however have had a great 10 days everyone is confident and will come back ready for the last 8 games. 8 games with the intesnity of yesterday will blow away the oposition and we will win the league.
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #28: Mar 23, 2009 09:46:07 am
      I hope gerrard rips out Ferdinand and Rooney in training so they're injured for the rest of the season that would be a massive boost for us. I don't really mind about England's results for these games because at the moment I am focusing on Liverpool
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #29: Mar 23, 2009 09:55:55 am
      I do think Utd will probably suffer more from the break as long as well dont get any injuries. I only think that because they now have 2 weeks for everybody to be talking about they slipping up 2 games in a row, if I was them I would want to play again straight away to show everyone that we can still play but as they have to wait it will become more difficult and possible more frustrating for them. Well lets hope it works like that anyway.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #30: Mar 23, 2009 03:52:36 pm
      Frankly, its not gonna be not that bad as Villa players gonna need the confidence they can get that week without the premier leagues' pressure glaring in their eyes. That said, I hope they come back rejuvenated and give United a real go, putting aside the fact they got battered by us.

As for us, Gerrard is our captain, immediately staring at victory and feeling it right at tip of his fingers I'm sure he will, propel us on. That enthusiasm will be endowed upon the rest our players, pushing them unto a formidable finish to the title.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,306 posts | 2847 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #31: Mar 23, 2009 04:34:53 pm
      I hate international football and if I'm honest then yes its come at a bad time for us.

We are buzzing now. 15 goals in 4 games 1 against. Id say every player cant wait to get to training and get working. That will now be stopped. On the other hand the utd players escape fergie for a few days and could come back better off for it. That's the big thing for me, the players being separated.

Our record isn't brilliant over all after internationals however I think the difference now is the lads know whats at stake and I believe that will cover for tired legs. Some of our key players wont play or at least not 90 minutes anyway. Carra, Arbe, Aurelio, Reina,Riera and possibly Agger aren't in the squads or are not likely to play. Alonso Babel and Kuyt are not definite in there teams. So Sami, Stevie, Skrtel, Masch and Nando the only ones certain to be involved for both games. I hope Yossi is not in Israels squad?

I'm not sure it will make or break the season but it would have suited us more for it not to have arrived now
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #32: Mar 23, 2009 11:12:01 pm
      I can't stop thinking about the next set of Premier League games on the 4th/5th April. This week and a half is going to go as slow as hell.
      laoisred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #33: Mar 23, 2009 11:35:14 pm
      Whatever way you look at it, Liverpool will have to hit the ground running when they resume. These internationals are a pain in the arse but the fear of getting injured will be at the back of the players minds. Imagine how Stevie would be feeling if the chance to bring the title to Anfield was thwarted by some eejit trying make a name for himself by burying his studs into him.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #34: Mar 23, 2009 11:37:51 pm
      United next game is V Villa.... im sure villa needed this break for re-grouping and will have more players fresher than united, as for us.... the Fulham game is a big one coz if we get thru that with that one, we can carry on with our outstanding form. 

Quick Reply