Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Liverpool FC vs Blackburn Rovers (Pre-match Thread)

Read 15699 times
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Liverpool FC vs Blackburn Rovers (Pre-match Thread)
      Apr 09, 2009 06:50:16 am
      Kick off 12:45
      Live on Sky Sports 1

Liverpool FC vs Blackburn Rover
      Liverpool entertain Blackburn Rovers at Anfield on Saturday with the Reds looking to secure their fifth straight Barclays Premier League victory.

Rafa Benitez's side have defeated Sunderland, Manchester United, Aston Villa and Fulham, scoring twelve goals in the process to force their way back into the championship reckoning.

Liverpool have already beaten Blackburn this season when goals from Xabi Alonso, Yossi Benayoun and Steven Gerrard secured a 3-1 victory at Ewood Park in December.

The Reds beat Sam Allardyce's side by the same scoreline in the corresponding fixture at Anfield last season and will hope to complete a league double over the Lancashire club to maintain their title tilt.

Well time to forget what happen last night, whats done is done now on to the serious business of the Premiership. Win tomorrow and we can go top of the table for a couple of hours but it is important to see how the guys come back after a blow of getting thumped at Anfield by Chelsea and to keep the pressure of Manure who seem to be very unpredictable with their play of late and who knows might draw Sunderland. Just have to win and hope for the best.

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2009 09:54:19 pm by redkenny, Reason: Linked to calendar plus match info »
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Re: Liverpool FC vs Blackburn Rovers (Pre-match Thread)
      Reply #1: Apr 09, 2009 06:58:41 am
      I wanna see more goals from Benayoun!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2: Apr 09, 2009 07:09:48 am
      Would be too surprised to see Yossi and Sami (consider most Big Sam sides play long ball) get the nod for this game.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #3: Apr 09, 2009 07:48:43 am
      Got to go for the throat and get a good result and let the manc's know we are not done yet.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #4: Apr 09, 2009 07:55:25 am
      I think we'll bounce back and have a really good result in this one and I can see us having better individual performances from the likes of Riera and Aurelio knowing that players like Babel and Insua are there to take there places in the starting lineup if they dont perform.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Apr 09, 2009 09:01:47 am
       I am pleased that this thread has started,it is time to walk on and look forward to the Blackburn game with confidence.With luck Blackburn will be made to pay for last night.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #6: Apr 09, 2009 09:31:53 am
      Billy1, its time to walk on yes, but the chelsea's game aint over just yet!

BELIEVE.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Apr 09, 2009 09:38:24 am
      Billy1, its time to walk on yes, but the chelsea's game aint over just yet!

BELIEVE.
      I know the Chelsea game is not over yet,in the Chelsea post match thread I said it is only half time.The point I was trying to make was lets concentrate on the Blackburn game and think about Chelsea when  we have finished with Blackburn.Cheers.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #8: Apr 09, 2009 10:16:05 am
      I want to see the right response by the reds players.

5-0 will do me.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Apr 09, 2009 10:18:44 am
      I'm guessing Torres and Gerrard will be played but we will want to get this game won as soon as possible I guess to take off the key players for Chelsea. We usually respond well to defeats and I think we'll win this one.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #10: Apr 09, 2009 11:31:14 am
      The Chelsea re-match is neither over nor forgotten, but put on the back burner as we look forward to a match in what I consider our most important competition: the Premier League.

Despite yesterday's result, no huge changes for me, it would unsettle the side too much. Masch back in for Lucas, Agger for Skrtel would do, though maybe left-wing and left-back could be considered as well.

Not fussy about the score, I just want a commanding and confidence restoring victory from the lads.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #11: Apr 09, 2009 02:14:02 pm
      Just a reminder to those fans heading to the game that there will be a march in support of Liverpool supporter Michael Shields from around 10.30 from the city centre to Anfield.

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=16042.msg296576#msg296576
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: Apr 09, 2009 02:15:46 pm
      Come Reds. Let's bounce back and show that last night's game was just a one-off thing and isn't gonna affect our confidence.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Apr 09, 2009 03:32:48 pm
      I think Insua and Babel will start this game ahead of Aurelio and Reira. Mascherano will also come back in for Lucas. Yossi might also start if Gerrard isn't fit.

I expect a dominant performance and a comfortable 3-0 victory.

Let's continue to mount the pressure on the mancs.

YNWA
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #14: Apr 09, 2009 04:26:10 pm
      A must win game and after yesterday's dross a stunning performance wouldn't go a miss.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #15: Apr 09, 2009 07:24:22 pm
      Sam Allardyce Hoping Blackburn Rovers Can Exploit Liverpool's Set-Piece Weakness

After Rafa Benitez's much discussed 'zonal system' was once again exposed last night by Chelsea, 'Big Sam' is eyeing what he perceives to be the Reds' soft underbelly...

9 Apr 2009 16:28:31

Blackburn Rovers manager Sam Allardyce was clearly taking notice of last night's 3-1 victory for Chelsea over Liverpool in the Champions League, and he is hoping to use some of the lessons learned from the game when his side travel to Anfield on Saturday.

Rafa Benitez's men came unstuck twice at corners, with Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic appearing in the penalty area both times to power headers into the net, relatively unmolested by Liverpool defenders on both occasions.

The famously analytical Allardyce, whose sides are physical and tend to attack and defend well from set-pieces, certainly saw plenty to interest him.

"Obviously we've seen them a couple of times before last night's game. From my point of view, I went to have a look and watch what was probably the most in-form team in this country at the moment come a little unstuck on the night," he told Blackburn's official website.

"It can happen to us all on occasions, but it was the wonderful ability of Chelsea Football Club on the night that got the tactics right, but also used their outstanding ability to punish them very heavily in the end.

"We can only hope that that knocks their confidence a little bit. From my point of view, I'm trying to get as many of our players as fit as I can.

"It will be a difficult game and one where we'll obviously go and try to do the best we can."

Allardyce is using the example of a previous preformance against a 'big four' side during his brief tenure at Ewood Park as a means of firing his troops up for the encounter, which could play a big part in shaping Rovers' survival bid.

He added, "I'd like to see a repeat of the performance of what we did at Manchester United, where we were very unlucky to lose that. Basically we'll do that by trying to get as many players as fit as we can and pick a side who can combat a very good, attacking Liverpool team at Anfield and then try to expose one or two weaknesses that were shown up last night.

"Their pride will have been hurt, but they are still just one point off Manchester United, so it will be a very big game for them. I think they'll be all guns blazing, but one [test] we've come across before and have had to cope with.

"I just want to get as many of my experienced players as fit as possible to go and compete against the very best in this league."

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/teams/england/108/blackburn

Even Big Sam is allowed to dream too.
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #16: Apr 09, 2009 07:32:52 pm
      I think Yossi will be the hero again.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,457 posts | 2851 
      Reply #17: Apr 09, 2009 07:39:25 pm
      I'd play Sami without a shadow of a doubt and drop Skrtel to the bench mainly due to the long ball tactics of Big Sam.

I think Insua and Babel will come in. If Gerrard is out then I think either Kuyt will move up top or Yossi will play in behind Torres.

Got to get the Chelsea game out of our system.

3-0. Goals from Torres (2) and Sami.
      Scouse pie
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 10 
      Reply #18: Apr 09, 2009 08:09:24 pm
      We must not let yesterday defeat derail our chances of wining the title. If we slip up here, Chelsea will be delighted as they beleive they still have a chance of winning the title as well. We must not give them the satisfaction or any physcholgical boost.

Also the crowd has to keep postive - we do not want to be sucking any confidence from the players if things don't go our way immediately.

I agree with many here that Benayoun will be a key player on Sat. It will be intersting to see the situation with Gerrad and his fitness and whether that will afect his position in the team.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,638 posts | 131 
      Reply #19: Apr 09, 2009 10:47:25 pm
      "I don't think he needs to send his best side down to Stamford Bridge next week. Benitez should play his best team against Blackburn and then save them for the game with Arsenal on Tuesday week. They've got a great opportunity to win the Premier League."

I read that on Sky, 100 % sign! 
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,853 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #20: Apr 09, 2009 11:02:03 pm
      C'mon you reds !!!!! i'd settle for a 1-0 win with no injuries ....
      kingkennyb
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #21: Apr 09, 2009 11:07:42 pm
       ;D ;D ;D

2-0 will be the score. I have fifty on it.

I got 16/1 today against a a comeback against Chelski. I put a 20 down. I have a funny feeling about the game. I think that we will win 4-2 on the night and go through on away goals.     
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: Apr 09, 2009 11:16:26 pm
      we want win everything that we are still in.that means CL AND EPL!against blackburn:             carragher-sami-agger- insua             -xabi-masher-                 kuyt-benny-riera                     -torres-            we can win it all!                 
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #23: Apr 10, 2009 02:28:00 am
      1 nil will do. we need to win to keep on the pressure
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #24: Apr 10, 2009 02:41:48 am
      1-0 in the 95 minute will do, we need to win the 3 points no matter how.     
      But if we score 4 or more will be perfect, the goals will be very important at the end of the championship, and to gain confidence for the game against chelski.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #25: Apr 10, 2009 02:43:56 am
      lets get a goal or 2, killed the game on then think about the chelsea game.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,709 posts | 895 
      Reply #26: Apr 10, 2009 08:44:51 am
      Ahead of their clash with Liverpool, Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce has laid into Reds boss Rafa Benitez by saying he loves "whingeing and moaning". (Various)
      from the BBC gossip coloumn

WTF :f_steam:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #27: Apr 10, 2009 08:59:17 am
      from the BBC gossip coloumn

WTF :f_steam:
      What is that saying about the kettle calling the pot black.Mind  you I suppose Allardyce is entitled to criticise RAFA after all you must compare all the trophies he has won.Oh that's right he has won F,All and with a bit of luck could get the drop this season.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #28: Apr 10, 2009 09:21:07 am
      This has got to be a must win game, no question about it. Its time to forget about the Chelsea game and get out ass fired up. Without a shadow of a doubt this is gonna be a crucial point of our season and if we fall, we must stand up immediately. Against Rovers we need to show them our intend, we need to get the ball moving as quickly as possible. Brought back down to earth by the rent boys but by no means out, down and beaten.

Dont care how, i'll just take a win. It puts big pressure on the lads to score 5-0 IMO, and with the midweek loss its gonna be a shattered morale. But we've got to set the record straight, show the others that we're no pushovers, score goal and win it. Simple.
      james08kop
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -2 
      Reply #29: Apr 10, 2009 11:24:52 am
      Jamie Carragher claims this weekend's clash with Blackburn Rovers is the biggest Premier League game of his career.
      Liverpool could go two points clear on Saturday lunchtime ahead of Manchester United's visit to the Stadium of Light at 3pm.

It is the first time since 2002 that Carragher has still been involved in the title race at this stage.

Back then, Liverpool stayed on the tail of Arsenal until defeat against Tottenham on April 27.

Carragher knows victory over Sam Allardyce's men is vital if the charge is to last even longer this time around.

"I'm not just saying this because of what happened against Chelsea the other night but the league has always been the priority for everyone at the club," said the 31-year-old.

"In the 13 years I have been involved in the first team this will be the biggest league game I've played in – it really is that important.

"If we win we can go top of the league with just six games to go and if someone would have told us that we would be in this position when the season started we would have all been delighted.

"This is a massive chance for everyone at the club and I'm sure the fans will create a great atmosphere because they know what is at stake."

Chelsea's victory in the Champions League on Wednesday was the first time the Reds have been beaten by a fellow member of the big four this season.

Carragher added: "Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say that the other team played well on the night, and this is one of those occasions.

"But it's important to remember that we've now played them and Man United five times this season and we've won four of those games.

"That's a record we can be proud of even though we are obviously disappointed about what happened the other night.

"We've played more than 40 games in the Premier League and the Champions League – the two biggest competitions – and we've only lost three times. One of the most important things is that when we have lost we've tended to respond in the right way by going on good runs.

"That's what we'll be looking to do again and no-one should be too downhearted about what happened against Chelsea because they are a good side who did well on the night. We've still got a hell of a lot to play for.

"The incentive is there for us to go back on top of the league. It may only be for a few hours until United play but you never know, it could even be for longer than that.

"That's how big this game is and that's why I honestly believe it's the biggest we've had in the league since I've been at the club - and maybe for even longer than that."

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #30: Apr 10, 2009 11:25:24 am
      Far more important than the mid-week game against Chelsea this.

Although no doubt Anfield won't reflect that fact on Saturday.

Pleased that Blackburn have come out and started talking the talk about how they are going to expose our weaknesses.  I expect us to rip Sam's boys apart.
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #31: Apr 10, 2009 11:33:54 am
      I`ll be at Anfield cheering the Reds on to victory.
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #32: Apr 10, 2009 11:39:51 am
      Well, i was looking forward to watching the match, to get wednesday out of my system but turns out i have a commitment that i can't get out of it so looks like i could be missin the match :( hate when that happens!
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #33: Apr 10, 2009 12:27:54 pm
      Its a good test for us and we all know Fat Sam is one of fergies bitches so I dont listen to him. What a boost to moral if we could win convincingly but I would take 1-0 and go back top of the league.The crowd will have to play their part.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #34: Apr 10, 2009 01:45:46 pm
      I bet every member on this forum a quid we don't beat Blackburn tomorrow.
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #35: Apr 10, 2009 01:55:58 pm
      I would go for -  Reina, Arbeloa, Insua, Carragher, Agger, Alonso, Mascherano, Benayoun, Babel, Gerrard, Torres.  Subs: Cavelieri, Skrtel, Hyypia, Dossena, Aurelio, Kuyt, Lucas, N'gog.
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #36: Apr 10, 2009 01:56:34 pm
      I bet every member on this forum a quid we don't beat Blackburn tomorrow.

That is fantastic optimisim, that
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #37: Apr 10, 2009 01:58:12 pm

Pre match ritual on the forum for me now. It's been working ever since I bet everyone the day before the United game at Old Trafford. I bet everyone we wouldn't get a penalty.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #38: Apr 10, 2009 01:59:29 pm
      Far more important than the mid-week game against Chelsea this.

Although no doubt Anfield won't reflect that fact on Saturday.

Pleased that Blackburn have come out and started talking the talk about how they are going to expose our weaknesses.  I expect us to rip Sam's boys apart.

I'll give my best. Although I'm only the third row up in the corner of the main stand so I don't think many will be joining in.
      Cellieh
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts |
      Reply #39: Apr 10, 2009 02:25:12 pm
      The rovers.... MH.
      I think, we win it, and we were 1st for a few hours. :D
      3:1 and many hopes, that ManUtd lose in sunderland!
      skrtelivision
      • Skrtelivision
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Reply #40: Apr 10, 2009 03:01:55 pm
      I just hope we get three points im confident we can go out and get a win. I just hope thinking about the champions league will affect the way we perform.

btw is Gerrard injured for this game?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #41: Apr 10, 2009 03:12:37 pm
      He has been named in the squad to face Blackburn, I dont think he will start.
      zzlamezz123
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts |
      Reply #42: Apr 10, 2009 03:38:45 pm
      A must win game! If we lose this one...we are as good as out of the league title race...unless a miracle happens ;D
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #43: Apr 10, 2009 06:02:36 pm
      Wont be surprise if Rafa comes out with  Agger-Hyypia combination and Benny in the 1st 11.

johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #44: Apr 10, 2009 06:07:21 pm
      If we loose given weds result it could be game over for the season if we win and Utd drop points its HELLO we can do this. I think Rafa understands this and Stevie will play if at all possible.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #45: Apr 10, 2009 09:25:46 pm
      The best line up

Reina

Arbeloa Carragher Hyypia Insua

Kuyt Alonso Mascherano Riera

Benayoun

Torres

Gerrard sprained an abductor muscle. Rest him. Play Babel as a sub for Riera.

Basically asking for too much. But I think Agger will make an excellent LB too.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #46: Apr 10, 2009 09:33:11 pm
      If selected, of course he will.... Pepe Reina will be making his 200th appearance for Liverpool :)

Cant wait for this...... its come at a good time, after a defeat you want a game asap to get back on track. At home to a poor but physical side.....we should win this, and lets do this in the 1st half..... soo nervous tho....
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #47: Apr 10, 2009 09:35:55 pm
      I firmly believe that Rafa will return to his "Dogs of War strategy" for this one. We need to win well to get back to the top ( albeit for a short time), and to boost everyones morale for Tuesday night. 3-0 for me Nando2&Benny1.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #48: Apr 10, 2009 10:37:14 pm
      The best line up

Reina

Arbeloa Carragher Hyypia Insua

Kuyt Alonso Mascherano Riera

Benayoun

Torres

Gerrard sprained an abductor muscle. Rest him. Play Babel as a sub for Riera.

Basically asking for too much. But I think Agger will make an excellent LB too.

I like the look of that, although I wouldn't be suprised to see either Dossena or Babel get the nod for left wing tommorow.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #49: Apr 10, 2009 11:09:50 pm
      Does anyone think Riera deserves a start? Or anyone else apart from Pepe for that matter?  :f_tongueincheek:

Seriously though I think there might be a few changes from Wednesdays game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hyypia come in for Skrtel. I reckon Insua will come in for Aurelio. Dossena to start ahead of Riera because I don't think Babel is in the squad is he? Yossi possible to start ahead of Gerrard and the obvious return of Mascherano ahead of Lucas.

Four unforced changes and then another one which might be forced.

Normally I'd be a bit uneasy about these 'rotations' but I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they happened because in my mind, they'd be justified.

Skrtel hasn't been right since coming back from international duty. We need solidarity at the back tomorrow and one player that defines that ethic and has proved time and again he can be solid when called upon, is big Sami. I also think with having Hyypia next to Carra tomorrow, it would restore some confidence back into Carra. Because he looked a far cry from his usual confident self on Wednesday night. And I have no doubt Skrtel would have the right reaction to being dropped - I think he's one of those players who'd take it on board and make sure he does better next time.

Insua played this fixture away and done a great job. Add to the fact Aurelio looked ropey on Wednesday and that Insua started against Fulham, it makes a bit of sense.

Dossena is obviously not a left back and whether people like it or not, I think he offers a threat further up the pitch. He was direct and attack minded against Fulham. Riera was pretty much the opposite on Wednesday. So I'd have Dossena ahead of Riera tomorrow - if is doesn't work, then Riera can always come off the bench.

Mascherano is available - you have to play him with Alonso. It's that simple for me. Lucas wasn't any worse than other players on Wednesday, but we missed that defensive attack in between midfield and defence without Mascherano. I can't stress how much the importance of the engine room is tomorrow! It's vital to get it ticking over again in that department.

And then with doubt over Gerrard, Yossi is probably the best option to play in the hole. He can also interchange with Kuyt on the right.

Could be totally different as we all know you can't second guess the team selection. But personally I feel a bit of a shake up is required. I watched confidence drain from the team in front of me the other night. It was heartbreaking to see. It was unfamiliar.

Biggest one so far. It's a huge huge game this and we need determination and desire to get the result. We can not afford to have a lot of players kicking a ball around the pitch thinking what they done wrong on Wednesday in the back of their minds.

Come on you reds!!!!!!!
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,709 posts | 895 
      Reply #50: Apr 10, 2009 11:49:00 pm
      id rather rest stevie and play yossi in his position and babel on for riera. maybe even play ngog upfront, if we dont lead after the first then nando in for ngog. i really believe that we can over rovers without stevie and nando.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #51: Apr 10, 2009 11:59:17 pm
      With Gerrard on the bench, play him for the last 20 mins if needed......

I think we should play 4-4-2

...............Reina.... .............
      Arby..   Carra ..Agger......Insua
      Benny...Masch..Alonso..D ossena
      .........Kuyt.....Torres ...........
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #52: Apr 11, 2009 12:09:00 am
      yep can't see Riera starting this one. Not only because (as Redkenny mentioned) he doesn't deserve to, but mainly because he has the worst stamina ever!! I think I've seen him play more than 70 mins once. I reckon Singh's team is spot on, maybe hypia instead of agger tho.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #53: Apr 11, 2009 12:19:58 am
      yep can't see Riera starting this one. Not only because (as Redkenny mentioned) he doesn't deserve to, but mainly because he has the worst stamina ever!! I think I've seen him play more than 70 mins once. I reckon Singh's team is spot on, maybe hypia instead of agger tho.

Yeah fella i thought of having Hyypia instead of Agger because of his physical presence. But I feel if we dont start giving Agger games, he will be gone in the summer. Agger is good on the ball who will give us that attacking advantage. We should be wary of Blackburn, maybe Hyypia would be a better choice for defensive reasons.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #54: Apr 11, 2009 12:27:11 am
      Massive game this one I cant wait just over 12 hours to go!

Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #55: Apr 11, 2009 12:41:53 am
      Massive game this one I cant wait just over 12 hours to go!

Too tight, each premier league game we are playing its becoming bigger and bigger...

Cant wait...
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #56: Apr 11, 2009 12:43:24 am
      From what I've read, Blackburn are likely to throw Samba up front with their injury troubles so that probably means a start for Sami. He's the best in the air we've got and to mark somebody like Samba is gonna need somebody good in the air.

Personally I'd keep faith with Carra/Skrtel though. They need to know that they're not gonna be dropped after just one bad performance against a very good forward. I think both would want to prove a point that Wednesday's game was just a one off. Before that game we'd conceeded one goal in five games and that was penalty at Old Trafford. We were all singing the praises off Carra and Skrtel for the way they kept Rooney/Tevez quiet and how they dealt with Carew's height and Agbonlahor's pace against Villa. One bad game doesn't mean they should get dropped/rested/rotated whatever.

Same goes for Aurelio. Personally I think our number 12 is a pretty average player but in recent weeks (barring the Chelsea game) has been as good as anybody in a Red shirt. He was outstanding against United, Madrid and Villa. Insua did play well against Fulham and has done in every game he's appeared in since he joined Liverpool but as I've already said, recently Aurelio has been superb and warrants a place in the side, plus he's got the experince to deal with Diouf's antics whereas Insua might just play into our former number 10's hands by reacting to his dives.

I would however welcome any change that involves Riera and Lucas sitting in the stands. I'd put Dossena wide left because he's shown signs of being a decent left winger recently. Although he looked a little lost on Wednesday where he couldn't control anything, he has shown some justification of his 7 million price tag, especially against Fulham. And Masch basically has to come in for Lucas, that simple. I wouldn't mind seeing Benayoun play on the right ahead of Kuyt either. Benayoun's form really turned after a fantastic performance against Blackburn at Ewood Park.

And I've made it no secret that I think Gerrard should start.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #57: Apr 11, 2009 02:06:10 am
      I don't care what the score is tomorrow, as long as we win  ;D

I've gone for 3-0 in the prediction league, it was 3-1 at Ewood Park at the beginning of December, I'd be happy with that again.

We were dismal at marking the set pieces on Wednesday......and we were dismal at our own set pieces as well, so I hope to see a marked improvement tomorrow.

I agree with RedKenny's changes, sounds good to me that does, definitely want to see Sami at the back.

Anyway I'm off for some kip before the match starts in just over 10 hours  :o

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #58: Apr 11, 2009 02:44:41 am
      My personal opinion is that we should be hitting double figures with our goal tally today.

Nothing less than 10-0 boys, march on you rampant Reds!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #59: Apr 11, 2009 05:48:56 am
      Prem is the still the priority regardless of the mid week calamity so strongest team and go all out for the 3 points. Stick insua and aurelio on the left. Rest stevie for the chav game and let yossi roam. Going to be a tough game on every level against blackburn. Need to gain confidence and a winning mentality again.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #60: Apr 11, 2009 07:23:39 am
      Well Benitez will assess the fitness of Gerrard really well. He will make a collective decision for the sake of Gerrard's fitness himself and the team's chances of winning the game. Realistically if Gerrard aggravates his injury in this game then it would be really a killer blow for us towards the crucial runin at the end of the season.

Rafa is in for a big fight here and whatever decision he makes on Gerrard's starting would and will have an effect on our season. Dont get it wrong Rafa.

In Rafa we Trust.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #61: Apr 11, 2009 09:26:47 am
      I'm thinking 4-4-2 with this one:

Full backs - Arby and Insua - our best two in my opinion. Aurelio's had a good season but I really like Insua and much prefer him. I can't put my finger on it but, for me, Aurelio just isn't a proper left back.

I would rest Carra (for Wednesday) and stick with Skrtel along side Agger. Yeah Skrtel had a poor game on Tuesday but (IMO) that was down to everything coming at him from our left which was piss poor. His confidence took a bit of a hit early on and he never got time to recover. He's not a bad player and Rafa should show faith in him by playing him on the right hand side of a Skrtel/Agger pairing. Agger is more than capable in every way and can move into midfield, very comfortably, when we are on the attack (I expect us to be attacking flat out BTW)

In midfield I'd pick take Masch and Xabi - no real surprise there. However I'd start with Yossi on the right and give Dossena a start on the left. Dossena came on when we were chasing a game at a very high tempo and had a bit of a mare but I honestly believe that he offers more, at present, than Riera. A start against Blackburn could see the best of him.

Assuming Stevie won't start; I'd play Kuyt off Torres. Kuyt's a striker for f**k's sake - let him "strike"

...............Reina.... .............

Arby                          Insua
                Skrtel   Agger     

Masch   Alonso
      Yossi                          Dossena

Kuyt    Torres
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,457 posts | 2851 
      Reply #62: Apr 11, 2009 10:30:40 am
      I would rest Carra (for Wednesday)

Not going to happen.

Carra came out and said this was going to be the biggest PL game of his career so I don't think he will be rested.

Anyway, I think there will be 4 changes for the game:

Hyypia in for Skrtel - Mainly due to the long ball tactics of Sam.
      Insua in for Aurelio - Aurelio was poor the other night and because Insua isn't in the CL squad I'd play him here.
      Masch in for Lucas - Masch obviously slots straight back in
      Dossena for Riera - Dossena can only attack from what I've seen so far and Babel isn't in the squad?

It will be a risk but I think Rafa has to start with Gerrard even if he's not fully fit. Take him off when it's job done.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #63: Apr 11, 2009 11:35:44 am
      The players must feel they can put Wednesday's game to rest with a good result and in a way having such a small amount of time to get ready may be just what they need, the team must be chomping it the bit to put that one right so getting out on the pitch so soon is just what's needed.

Can you imagine having to wait a week to put that right. Carra's right to say this is the most important league game he has ever been involved in and the team as one can put us back on track today and they don't have to sit around letting it eat into them. Go to it you Reds and stuff fergusons & Alladyce's words back down their throats..........
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #64: Apr 11, 2009 11:36:15 am
      Usually the teams are out around now, anyone have them?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #65: Apr 11, 2009 11:56:26 am
      Live Match Thread here

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=16165.0

Topic Locked.

Quick Reply