Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Fergie hits back at Benitez

Read 16791 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Fergie hits back at Benitez
      Apr 11, 2009 11:30:33 am
      Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has hit back at Premier League title rival Rafa Benitez after more criticism from the Liverpool manager.

The Spaniard launched a stunning attack on Ferguson during the Christmas period, which initially appeared to backfire until his side romped to a 4-1 success at Old Trafford last month.

Benitez then suggested Ferguson was 'scared' of his side ahead of the Reds' UEFA Champions League meeting with Chelsea at Anfield in midweek, which they subsequently lost 3-1.

Domestic matters take precedence again on Saturday, with Liverpool hosting Blackburn in the early kick-off and United travelling to Sunderland at 3pm eager to maintain their one-point cushion at the summit.
      Interesting

Ferguson said: "The interesting thing as far as Rafa Benitez is concerned is that he has got a European tie coming up and he is talking about Alex Ferguson.

"That's fantastic. I didn't know I was that important."

Asked another question about Benitez, Ferguson smiled and said simply: "I have no further comment to make."

Ferguson believes Chelsea's victory over Liverpool in Europe will now make Guus Hiddink's side a more dangerous opponent in the closing stages of the Premier League title race.

And he likened Chelsea's thumping win to Manchester United's FA Cup semi-final replay triumph over Arsenal in 1999 for the impact it might have.

"You can never forget Ryan Giggs' goal at Villa Park in the year we won the treble in 1999," said Ferguson.

"That just lifted everyone. From then on we were unbeatable.

"Chelsea will be very buoyed up now. That is what happens when you get a really important result. And that was a good performance."

http://msnsport.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12040_5173897,00.html

:lmao: maybe this thread should be renamed 'Fergie makes an arse of himself again'. Benitez really has touched a nerve hasn't he!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Fergie hits back at Benitez
      Reply #1: Apr 11, 2009 11:32:56 am
      Love it, the thing is though, who always comes out on top ?  Correct.  Our Rafa.   :D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Apr 11, 2009 11:34:06 am
      Yeah, at the end of the day, 2-1 at Anfield and a 4-1 thrashing at Old Trafford.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,672 posts | 6966 
      Reply #3: Apr 11, 2009 11:50:58 am
      Benitez was asked a question about Ferguson on Tuesday to which he replied.

He hardly started talking about Ferguson randomly.

Anyway, Fergie's cracking up. 
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #4: Apr 11, 2009 12:36:36 pm
      The only way to shut this arrogant foul mouthed lout up is to win the league what more motivation could there be.
      karljd
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      Reply #5: Apr 11, 2009 10:11:23 pm
      Did anyone here the reporters at swear alex's press conference pissing themselves laughing at his every word,c'nts making rafa out to be a thick.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Apr 11, 2009 11:48:46 pm
      Fergie is cracking up like the blood vessels in his nose!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #7: Apr 12, 2009 12:04:20 am
      Hopefully he'll spontaneously combust all over the cock sucking sky reporters  :f_steam:
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #8: Apr 12, 2009 12:17:03 am
      Rafa taunts Fergie: I can't understand a word he says

Rafa Benitez has told Sir Alex Ferguson not to bother cranking up the mind games during the Premier League title run-in - because he does not understand a word the Scot says.

Benitez's team kept the pressure on Manchester United yesterday, as a superb Fernando Torres double inspired a 4-0 win over Blackburn that lifted them briefly into top spot.

Liverpool were overtaken when Federico Macheda hit a late winner for United at Sunderland but, whatever happens in the next few weeks, Benitez claims he will not be psyched out by his rival.

'Mind games are for managers who are affected by mind games, but I don't understand him - because he talks in a Scottish accent,' said Benitez, who was taunted by Ferguson beforehand for talking too much about his rivals.

And he insisted: 'I don't care that he [Ferguson] talks of me, but I know he's nervous. That's good.'

Benitez has experience of outfoxing his rivals, having won the Spanish title twice with Valencia.

'Normally I am very focused just on my team before every game and I don't care about what people say,' he revealed.

I have to decide about my players with my staff, so we just talk about my team. If you have to play this game, I can play this game. You have to know exactly the meaning of each sentence and

each word and maybe I would enjoy it more in Spain, where we can do it in Spanish.

'In England, for me it is more difficult but, if I have to do it, I will do it.

'I prefer to talk about football but sometimes you have to do it. You know my idea; when someone is talking too much, you have to say, "listen, enough is enough".

'We're a massive club and you know what it means for a lot of people here, the fans - it's amazing. So I'm really happy here but, if you have to say something, you have to say something.'

There was no misunderstanding Liverpool's intent yesterday, with Torres in inspired form on the day Anfield marked the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster.

He took only four minutes to lift the sombre atmosphere with a world-class strike on the turn, before heading in his 14th goal of the season and he believes it gives the team the ideal lift as they

attempt to overhaul a 3-1 Champions League deficit at Chelsea on Tuesday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1169319/Rafa-taunts-Fergie-I-understand-word-says.html?ITO=1490

Rafa isjust so good at getting under Fergie's skin.

leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #9: Apr 12, 2009 04:01:50 am
      That shows how nervous he is about Liverpool
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #10: Apr 12, 2009 05:46:55 am
      Fergie is cracking up simple.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #11: Apr 12, 2009 06:18:01 am
      Yup. Fergie is running scared and afraid like never before. Cracking up now isnt he, just loved how he wanted to give Ronaldo a rest but have to bring him on yesterday, and then bring on Macheda just to hope for another lucky win.
      zzlamezz123
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts |
      Reply #12: Apr 12, 2009 08:00:14 am
      GO Benitez we support you! Fergie is really running scared! Haha.
      « Last Edit: Apr 12, 2009 05:43:43 pm by Reslivo, Reason: Funnily enough it\'s spelt \"you\", not \"u\". »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #13: Apr 12, 2009 10:13:37 am
       BBC.co.uk Gossip (Various)
      Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has told Sir Alex Ferguson to forget playing mind games because he does not understand the Scot's accent.

Class.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #14: Apr 12, 2009 11:34:09 am
      That's not just a Scott's accent, it's a whisky induced Scott's accent.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #15: Apr 12, 2009 04:34:10 pm
      :lmao: once again another brilliant response, this will be getting right under Fergie's skin. Fantastic.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16: Apr 12, 2009 05:48:14 pm
      Class to a tee.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #17: Apr 12, 2009 06:16:58 pm
      I think our Rafa must prepare these statements, each and everyone of them are claaaaas :)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #18: Apr 12, 2009 06:26:44 pm
      Laughed my head off at that, kwalitee as usual  :D :D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #19: Apr 12, 2009 06:32:38 pm
      Rafa should employ a comedian or something similar to prepare answers to these drunken quips from the wrong end of the East Lancs. Could you imagine the press conferences.

Although he is doing quite good on his own.
      redtiptoe
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts |
      Reply #20: Apr 13, 2009 02:51:36 am
      Fergie is the one who is worried, and so he should be cause at the end the season when all you won is the micky mouse cup and spent 50 mil questions will be asked. He's a pr**k who at his press conferances try's to get the media onside by cracking little jokes about our Rafa but the press giggle in anticipation that they'll f**k the 5 trophies up. Then they will have a field day on him.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #21: Apr 13, 2009 11:35:30 am
      Rafa knows that fergie are cracking inside just like his trembling defenders...so he just trying to go more under that redfaced scott...wonder if batman franchise should consider him in their next movie...we have joker, riddler, two face. why not adding redface drunk...
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #22: Apr 13, 2009 10:56:25 pm
      you know, this works both ways...I just wish they'd both shut up and focus on their own teams...all this "mind games" gibberish just annoys me.

Quick Reply