Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Xabi Alonso (Real "we can tap up anybody" Madrid)

Read 255092 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus)
      Reply #1794: Jul 30, 2009 12:44:13 pm
      Some people's comments here are disgusting.

Of course we're all F***ing disappointed, but to say that he's a money grabbing tw*t, or even to suggest that is ridiculous. The lad was brought up in Spain, played in Spain for most of his life - Madrid is the dream destination for him.

I'm as downhearted as anyone else about his departure, but the man deserves more respect than that. Don't you ever forget what he did for us in 2005.

I don't even think he's acted badly in this situation - we've heard practically nothing from him in the duration of this 'saga'. He's going now and we have to move on, we are still a title winning side without Xabi.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #1795: Jul 30, 2009 12:44:40 pm
      Ross, to say that Real is is dream is probably not true. He is Basque. Basque people are not Spaniards in their own eyes.
      Also, I think it was his dream to play for Real Sociedad.

If we have to pay over the top for players then surely if we sell a player we should expect the same!.

We have the two best holding midfielders in the prem i wouldnt let alsonso go for less than £30,000,000! but we could maybe try to get sniejder off them as a part of the deal or gago?.

Sneijder is more of an attacking midfielder than a holding mid like Alonso, and Gago isn't half the player Alonso is.

I hope Rafa does another Alonso like signing for few million and turns him into a superstar.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1796: Jul 30, 2009 12:46:33 pm
      Gutted absolutely gutted!

I cant comment much further at this point, but very dissapointed.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #1797: Jul 30, 2009 12:46:59 pm
      Madrid is still regarded as the best club in the world by a lot of people - maybe Xabi thinks that himself.
      SaintLiverpudlian
      • Forum John Toshack

• 278 posts |
      • Liverpool is my religion Anfield is my church
      Reply #1798: Jul 30, 2009 12:48:39 pm
      I loved him, but c**t. just like Michael Owen.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #1799: Jul 30, 2009 12:49:16 pm
      I hope Rafa does another Alonso like signing for few million and turns him into a superstar.

I wouldn't be surprised, to be honest.

I can't imagine him putting more than £20 million into one player, we just don't seem to be a club that does that.

I'd more see us signing someone in the £15-20 million mark at the most, and the rest filling holes left by several of our departing players.

As for who, I have no idea, Rafa seems to have written off most of the targets speculated about on this board already. :D
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #1800: Jul 30, 2009 12:50:11 pm
      So Perez - the price is £35m + Sneijder. If you can't afford him, we know a club 30 miles away who will. The choice is yours.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #1801: Jul 30, 2009 12:53:08 pm

Nothing like Michael Owen. FFS.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #1802: Jul 30, 2009 12:53:11 pm

No. I'm not accepting that. Owen left because he wouldn't give Rafa a chance. Alonso is leaving because Rafa tried to offload him.

Xabi has played here for five years, and has been a rock in our midfield since arrival and he helped us with the European Cup. Don't forget what he has done for this club.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #1803: Jul 30, 2009 12:53:58 pm
      I don't even think he's acted badly in this situation - we've heard practically nothing from him in the duration of this 'saga'. He's going now and we have to move on, we are still a title winning side without Xabi.

If he was generally unsure about whether he wanted to go to Madrid or stay with Liverpool until now then fair play. But if he knew he wanted to leave in the first place then he should've done this earlier in the summer. It would've saved fans that got Alonso on their shirt £50 (although if you did your a little bit silly). At least we've got time to bring someone in to replace him.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #1804: Jul 30, 2009 12:55:44 pm
      No. I'm not accepting that. Owen left because he wouldn't give Rafa a chance. Alonso is leaving because Rafa tried to offload him.

Xabi has played here for five years, and has been a rock in our midfield since arrival and he helped us with the European Cup. Don't forget what he has done for this club.

Agreed. Gutted he may be leaving - but some of the memories - Istanbul, goal from inside his own half - will be treasured for a long time.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #1805: Jul 30, 2009 12:55:53 pm

Thats bollocks. The only comparison is we'll be winning the Champions League this season and he won't be winning anything.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #1806: Jul 30, 2009 12:55:58 pm
      if he knew he wanted to leave in the first place then he should've done this earlier in the summer.

I agree with that.

I won't slate him as he was a great servant to the club, but I feel he knew what he wanted to do the moment they started sniffing around trying to sign him.

It would have been better for everyone if he'd just stuck in his transfer request on July 1st, leaving us all the time to replace him.
      Tamyka 4 Torres
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 152 posts |
      Reply #1807: Jul 30, 2009 12:57:37 pm
      Good luck at Madrid.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #1808: Jul 30, 2009 01:01:20 pm

Kind of.

I hope he performs well individually, but I also hope Madrid do sh*te as a team and win nothing.

I have little respect for clubs that flash the cash like they do, it's all about names and nothing about the team as a whole.

Good luck Alonso, but Real can do one.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #1809: Jul 30, 2009 01:01:33 pm
      Can't say it wasn't coming, though. I just hope that those cu*ts don't do an Arbeloa and try to shaft us. £35M and not a penny less.

I hope he realises he's making a mistake.

HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #1810: Jul 30, 2009 01:03:51 pm
      I would be sad to see him go but think for one minute, if any of us was in his position, we would like to think people would respect our decision even if we don't agree with it. Something clearly isn't right and so he feels a move is best for him and the club. Getting consistent performances out of  a player who is not settled is like trying to push a rope. Let Xabi go with our best wishes and let's focus on the team we will have.
      As for the comparison with Michael Owen's move I feel that is unfair IMO and from Owen's point of view he had one year left on his deal and could have gone for free the following summer but once he knew it was time to move on he sought the switch so that at least Liverpool would get something.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #1811: Jul 30, 2009 01:04:26 pm
      Wouldn't you just love it if we won the treble next season, beating Real in the final of the CL.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #1812: Jul 30, 2009 01:04:35 pm
      Wish the lad all the best and bon voyage the club is bigger than anyone and Mr. Benitez will get generous recompense on the transaction as is his way, the club is in a healthy position to fill any void if one exists and go on to better things.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #1813: Jul 30, 2009 01:07:02 pm
      Wouldn't you just love it if we won the treble next season, beating Real in the final of the CL.

I'm so glad you said that. It's bound to happen once you mention it!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #1814: Jul 30, 2009 01:07:46 pm

It's true, he's more reliable than your signature! :D

;)
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #1815: Jul 30, 2009 01:09:58 pm

;)

I've got a feeling Lucas is really going to step his game up this season. He looks a lot bigger now. I'm looking forward to the Espanyol game now. I think Rafa will give a good clue as to how we're going to set up this season.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #1816: Jul 30, 2009 01:11:01 pm

Agree with treble bit. Don't want them anywhere near the CL final though - but they can watch us win it in THEIR stadium though.

Quick Reply