Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 9th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D1 L0

How big a stadium do we need

Read 78190 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: How big a stadium do we need
      Reply #276: Oct 24, 2011 09:45:09 am
      What are you saying there has nothing to do with what Huyton Red have said above. He has accused the OOT's and OOC's of corrupting the atmosphere at Anfield. Unlike some kids around here, I remember seeing lots of empty seats at Anfield, even in the 80's. This myth about OOT's and OOC's taking the seats away from the locals, and corrupting the atmosphere, is pure nonsense. The locals were unable to fill the stadium in the first place. You might hate to admit it, but the creation of the Premier League, and the arrival of the OOT's and OOC's, has brought a steady increase in Anfield attendances.

You really have got no idea of what Anfield was like prior to going all seater have you,no idea of what it was like to queue up all night to get a ticket for a cup tie,gates being shut before kick off because of capacity crowds(mostly standing)That to me is what Huyton Red is trying to convey in his posts,but as per usual you try and distort a mans post for your own agenda whatever that might be.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #277: Oct 24, 2011 10:02:18 am
      You really have got no idea of what Anfield was like prior to going all seater have you,no idea of what it was like to queue up all night to get a ticket for a cup tie,gates being shut before kick off because of capacity crowds(mostly standing)That to me is what Huyton Red is trying to convey in his posts,but as per usual you try and distort a mans post for your own agenda whatever that might be.
      Well, maybe it was like that for the important ties, but that still doesn't change the fact that the average attendance at Anfield in some periods was very far from the full capacity:

You see, that is the problem with human memories. We tend to remember only the good things, and very often the years have an exaggerating effect on those memories.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #278: Oct 24, 2011 10:16:51 am
       From a human memory perspective do your graphs contain the attendances at Anfield for the reserves,What you probably do not realise is when the first team played away the reserves usually played that teams reserves at Anfield so the ground was used every week in the season. Also that graph is only showing half the seasons from 1946 through to2007.So you see Graphs and statistics can be more deceiving thanhuman memories.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #279: Oct 24, 2011 11:01:04 am
      From a human memory perspective do your graphs contain the attendances at Anfield for the reserves,What you probably do not realise is when the first team played away the reserves usually played that teams reserves at Anfield so the ground was used every week in the season. Also that graph is only showing half the seasons from 1946 through to2007.So you see Graphs and statistics can be more deceiving thanhuman memories.

Actually, the graph is showing only the average attendances at the 1st team matches, and it covers the full 61 seasons, from 1946 to 2007. No need to spin things, in order to prove your point . I respect your memories and experiences, but that is exactly what they are: A personalized view on historical events. The true data is always a bit different.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #280: Oct 24, 2011 11:27:14 am
      While there is no doubt that some oot/ooc supporters don't help to create the right atmosphere at games, there is equally no doubt that the club make a lot more money from them than the "regulars". The oot's want to make the most of their visit (hardly a crime), and they spend a fortune in the club shop.

People should remember that while the day trippers support Liverpool they have probably not had the benefit of parents explaining how they should behave, what they should wear and why they should shout and sing. So they come with their jester caps, their camera phones and loads of cash and sit quietly drinking in the atmosphere created by others.

Make the attendance 60k and there is plenty room for regulars and the day trippers.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #281: Oct 24, 2011 11:46:42 am
      Make the attendance 60k and there is plenty room for regulars and the day trippers.

Exactly mate - I explained why earlier (#107) but the bigger the better as far as I'm concerned.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,499 posts | 8678 
      Reply #282: Oct 24, 2011 03:16:41 pm
      What are you saying there has nothing to do with what Huyton Red have said above. He has accused the OOT's and OOC's of corrupting the atmosphere at Anfield. Unlike some kids around here, I remember seeing lots of empty seats at Anfield, even in the 80's. This myth about OOT's and OOC's taking the seats away from the locals, and corrupting the atmosphere, is pure nonsense. The locals were unable to fill the stadium in the first place. You might hate to admit it, but the creation of the Premier League, and the arrival of the OOT's and OOC's, has brought a steady increase in Anfield attendances.

Do you even know about the F***ing 80s in this country you utter F***ing retard. Hooliganism, football fans treated lower than sh*te by the authorities, the fact football wasn't as popular as it is now is probably a reason Anfield wasn't a sell out. F**k all to do with OOT's and whatever the F**k OOC's are. You are also aware of the fact that a lot of football clubs back then were fixing the attendance figures for tax reasons. And what about the 70s, sell outs then, what's your excuse for that, all those F***ing locals following Shankly and Paisley, can't be true surely?

I also think you are talking sh*te about the Premier League Liverpool playing WELL and WINNING trophies have brought about continual sold-out stadiums. Look at Rafa's reign, trying getting a league ticket for any point then, you wouldn't have a F***ing chance, sold out a good month or so in advance. Then compare to Project Owl's six months as manager and you could have as many tickets as you wanted days before the game, so F**k all to do with the advent of the Premier League and more to do with fans wanting success including the OOT's and OOC's.

Also shows how glory hunting OOT's and OOC's are by the amount that jumped on the gravy train after 2005 FACT!
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #283: Oct 24, 2011 04:45:39 pm
      Do you even know about the f***ing 80s in this country you utter f***ing retard. Hooliganism, football fans treated lower than sh*te by the authorities, the fact football wasn't as popular as it is now is probably a reason Anfield wasn't a sell out. F**k all to do with OOT's and whatever the f**k OOC's are. You are also aware of the fact that a lot of football clubs back then were fixing the attendance figures for tax reasons. And what about the 70s, sell outs then, what's your excuse for that, all those f***ing locals following Shankly and Paisley, can't be true surely?

I also think you are talking sh*te about the Premier League Liverpool playing WELL and WINNING trophies have brought about continual sold-out stadiums. Look at Rafa's reign, trying getting a league ticket for any point then, you wouldn't have a f***ing chance, sold out a good month or so in advance. Then compare to Project Owl's six months as manager and you could have as many tickets as you wanted days before the game, so f**k all to do with the advent of the Premier League and more to do with fans wanting success including the OOT's and OOC's.

Also shows how glory hunting OOT's and OOC's are by the amount that jumped on the gravy train after 2005 FACT!
      « Last Edit: Oct 24, 2011 04:56:06 pm by Macedonian_Red »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #284: Oct 24, 2011 09:48:38 pm
      I think we got an indication of how important the ooc's (out of country) support is when that volcano in Iceland (country not frozen food store) prevented our overseas supporters from travelling. I think it was the lowest or second lowest attendance in five years ?
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #285: Oct 24, 2011 09:56:20 pm
      Im loving the idea of Mono Brow where you might put the fans who make the atmosphere around the stadium. It is a risk but imagine the whole stadium singing YNWA. Would be amazing. With the kop though most of it would be the die hard chanters but on the sides you might have the not so regulars and then they might get involved
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,353 posts | 4968 
      Reply #286: Oct 24, 2011 09:59:57 pm
      People should remember that while the day trippers support Liverpool they have probably not had the benefit of parents explaining how they should behave, what they should wear and why they should shout and sing. So they come with their jester caps, their camera phones and loads of cash and sit quietly drinking in the atmosphere created by others.

It's a decent point saint but you can try and educate some people as much as you like and they still would not get it.

I actually agree with most of what Huytonred and Billy1 have said here and while support from outside Liverpool obviously brings plenty of revenue to the club it is still the locals that are the backbone of the support.

Without local support would it still be Liverpool Football Club?

On the size of the stadium also agree with you that anything over 60K should be a minimum if we are to leave Anfield but if it was still possible to stay and only have around 55K then I would still rather have that.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #287: Oct 24, 2011 10:17:40 pm
      I'm not from Liverpool but have followed the team home and away for over 20 years.

Even when I was a kid I tried to pick up on the way our supporters behaved, clap the oppos keeper while defending the Kop, always sing YNWA fully not just the first chorus etc etc. Just felt I wanted to learn the "Liverpool Way" and even got some older lads to teach me the words to Poor Tommy Scouser one half time standing on the old Kop. I loved the way the atmosphere seemed to go up a level when the team needed us, if we went 1-0 down or whatever and was something that used to single us out from the majority of other clubs.

It seems at Anfield these days, half the people there are for the experience. It pisses me off so cant imagine what that does to the likes of Huyton / Billy and some of the other local lads who have been going to games for years.

Doesnt matter where you come from,what is that you understand the club and the city.
      « Last Edit: Oct 24, 2011 11:17:26 pm by kelvo »
      Redman88
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #288: Oct 25, 2011 07:31:41 am
      I would like to see a 70k stadium with room for expansion in future years. Once we have that we can create more revenue to buy more players and attract big names. Atleast we are looking in the right direction atm
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #289: Oct 25, 2011 08:43:21 am
      I think we got an indication of how important the ooc's (out of country) support is when that volcano in Iceland (country not frozen food store) prevented our overseas supporters from travelling. I think it was the lowest or second lowest attendance in five years ?
      That is an interesting piece of information

Seems like OOC  supporters tickets go to waste when they cant get to Anfield

At least when a local has a ticket they can always find someone to give them to, many years ago when my sister was pregnant and showing we were queueing for tickets  (Liverpool v York FA cup replay) when a man came up to us and gave us two tickets.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #290: Oct 25, 2011 08:50:11 am
      I would like to see a 70k stadium with room for expansion in future years. Once we have that we can create more revenue to buy more players and attract big names. Atleast we are looking in the right direction atm
      I agree with you Redman,I thimk we should go for bust and build the biggest ground that is financially possible,if we can get a big enough ground from the start it negates having to have add ons.As we all know it costs a dam site more to build an extension on a house and in some cases it costs more than the original house.Having said that because of nostalgia I would still like to see Anfield revamped.
      Redman88
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #291: Oct 25, 2011 09:01:57 am
      I agree with you Redman,I thimk we should go for bust and build the biggest ground that is financially possible,if we can get a big enough ground from the start it negates having to have add ons.As we all know it costs a dam site more to build an extension on a house and in some cases it costs more than the original house.Having said that because of nostalgia I would still like to see Anfield revamped.

I would like to see a 100k stadium but you just cant just do that because the infra structure wont be able to cope. You need to look at the public transport as well as the roads etc. Its all well we want this and that but you need to make sure the city can cope as well. 100k you need a lot more police as well. Utd didnt just build it just like that it was done in stages and ours will probably have to be the same.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #292: Oct 25, 2011 03:13:12 pm
      I would like to see a 70k stadium with room for expansion in future years. Once we have that we can create more revenue to buy more players and attract big names.

Without a serious investment from the government into infrastructure, anything above 60,000 is impossible.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,499 posts | 8678 
      Reply #293: Oct 25, 2011 03:28:52 pm
      Without a serious investment from the government into infrastructure, anything above 60,000 is impossible.

Which will never happen while there is a conservative govt in charge!
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #294: Oct 25, 2011 07:36:46 pm
      Which will never happen while there is a conservative govt in charge!

To be honest, I doubt that it would ever happen, under any government. The bad news is, they would probably make the necessary infrastructure investment, if we were discussing a groundshare project here.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #295: Nov 27, 2011 10:18:18 pm
      Sorry Macedonian. Honestly, for the most part, I agree with Huyton Red... His argument isnt based on being able to afford the tickets its based on the commitment and passion people show while at the match.  I would'nt enjoy a match surrounded by psuedo-fans, bandwagon fans or anyone who goes to the match as if it were some sort of fashion or social statement.  Not too mention the 100's of seats left empty because corporate tix are given away to people who dont give 2 fucks about the Club and if they do show up they spend 90 minutes on their Iphone.

I have never been to Anfield. But tbh thats not for lack of passion or commitment, thats simply a matter of geography.  But when the day comes that I do make the trip, I want to be surrounded by people who have a passion for the club and a passion for the ground.  I want to be around people who will stand for the entire match and sing, cheer and know that for those 90 minutes your witnessing something great.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #296: Nov 27, 2011 11:12:04 pm
      Sorry Macedonian. Honestly, for the most part, I agree with Huyton Red... His argument isnt based on being able to afford the tickets its based on the commitment and passion people show while at the match.  I would'nt enjoy a match surrounded by psuedo-fans, bandwagon fans or anyone who goes to the match as if it were some sort of fashion or social statement.  Not too mention the 100's of seats left empty because corporate tix are given away to people who dont give 2 fucks about the Club and if they do show up they spend 90 minutes on their Iphone.

I have never been to Anfield. But tbh thats not for lack of passion or commitment, thats simply a matter of geography.  But when the day comes that I do make the trip, I want to be surrounded by people who have a passion for the club and a passion for the ground.  I want to be around people who will stand for the entire match and sing, cheer and know that for those 90 minutes your witnessing something great.
      Bravo my friend and the vast majority are fully committed  at Anfield,not like those scumbags in that valley just down from the M62 who left before the end in the Manchester Derby.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #297: Nov 28, 2011 07:57:07 pm

Youv'e got more commitment and soul for the club Yank than half of the prawn sandwiches sitting there on Saturdays.
      Im a sixties/seventies Kopite ...23,000 all in one end.
      I am privileged ... especially as that is part of our history and can never be brought back.

The Spirit of The Kop Lives On.

That means if you believe ......you are there.

Sing YNWA.  Watch Kenny on the touchline. Cry just once.
      It doesnt matter where you are. If you have it ...you know it.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #298: Nov 29, 2011 08:18:25 am
      Youv'e got more commitment and soul for the club Yank than half of the prawn sandwiches sitting there on Saturdays.
      Im a sixties/seventies Kopite ...23,000 all in one end.
      I am privileged ... especially as that is part of our history and can never be brought back.

The Spirit of The Kop Lives On.

That means if you believe ......you are there.

Sing YNWA.  Watch Kenny on the touchline. Cry just once.
      It doesnt matter where you are. If you have it ...you know it.
      So many memories skip,memories that will never fade and we were a part of the Anfield revolution.We were the lucky ones.

Quick Reply