Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Why Is Our Solid Back Line Not So Solid?

Read 7662 times
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Re: Why Is Our Solid Back Line Not So Solid?
      Reply #23: Apr 21, 2009 11:08:57 pm
      I think the reason is because in the last 2 games, chelsea and arsenal, we've been desperate for a win and when you're desperate for a win you have to attack and the more you attack the more out of position you're defenders become. Then when the ball comes in they panic more about clearing it and it's harder to get organised.

I bet we see over the next 5 games that we won't concede 4 in all of them put together against the lower sides.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #24: Apr 21, 2009 11:23:19 pm
      Agger doesnt look happy. He looks to be off in the summer.... lets not chop and change and stick with the same back 4 for the last 5 games
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #25: Apr 21, 2009 11:30:33 pm
      I agree with that they should just lash it out of play and regroup instead of trying to play it out. Other than that no complaints.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #26: Apr 22, 2009 12:03:29 am
      Tonight wasn't a bad defensive display. It was three indiviual errors and Arsenal, or rather Arshavin, took advantage. The fourth was because we had little time to win the game, they caught us on the break.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #27: Apr 22, 2009 12:05:53 am
      I think there is a serious lack of pace in our defence, defensively Arbeloa and Aureilo are fairly average defensively and there is a lack of pace in the centre as well.

Wrong. They made mistakes today. But you cant call them average.
      AJK0505
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #28: Apr 22, 2009 12:10:23 am
      When we play like we did tonight we will always concede goals  so the back four need to regroup and not go for an all out attack-Cmon Liverpool we are nearly there!
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #29: Apr 22, 2009 01:13:33 am
      Aurelio and Arbeloa have been two of our most consistent performers this season IMO. Today they both made mistakes. Doesn't happen very often but it can happen. All players make mistakes from time to time. Personally I'm quite comfortable with those two as our full backs.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #30: Apr 22, 2009 01:45:18 am
      It's football and these things could have been prevented. The midfield probably should have even stopped Arsenal from going into our defence area.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #31: Apr 22, 2009 09:56:34 am
      I think our defense is used to counter attacking style but lately we have been pushing forward far more and are playing much higher up the pitch even Xabi and Mascherano are playing more in the opposition half. I am not sure if this explains the mistakes though, it could just be nerves or a combination of both. The way the game panned out worked right into Arsenals style of play and against Chelsea we had to go for it so I think its a series of unfortunate coincidences and I think we will be back on Saturday with a tight defense again.
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #32: Apr 22, 2009 11:32:50 am
      3 of the goals are just common mistakes every world class defenders can do. But that last goal by Arsenal I was disappointed. 3-3. I know we need the points, but 1 point is still better then 0? With that pacy Walcott around we have only 1 guy behind at the corner set piece. Arshavin showing 3 fingers was painful, showing 4 I was like crying.
      redruths
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #33: Apr 22, 2009 09:27:29 pm
      The Arsenal game was a stange one where we were punished for almost every mistake we made,ok the mistakes were a bit obvious but in any other game we would have got away with at least one of them.
      I don't think there is any need to panic just yet but i would like to see Insua get more games next season as i don't think we'll geta full term out of Aurelio
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #34: Apr 22, 2009 09:34:23 pm
      In any other given time, we wouldn't have conceded the 4th goal, as we would have more cover, the others were individual mistakes, so obviously quite rare to see.

Overall though, I think that we are playing good atacking football, so must accept the fact we will concede more goals then in the past. Although, if we could have the goal threat and a solid back 4, the league shall be ours either this or next year.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #35: Apr 22, 2009 11:01:34 pm
      Taken from an article given by Gerrard;

"It's not like us to concede that many goals. We're normally sound defensively, especially at home."

Link To .tv Article

red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #36: Apr 22, 2009 11:42:58 pm
      There aren't a lot of good ball playing defenders around that are better than agger and skertel ,we knocked 4 past chelski so there defence ain't solid,4 past arsenal,and the previous results speak volumes when we destroy real madrid and the mancs...possibly our midfielders do block out the telling pass or the runners which would give defenders more time to react....i'd like to see sami come back for spells and when he feels it's time to stop playing first team footie use him for coaching
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,870 posts | 6808 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #37: Apr 23, 2009 04:44:49 am
      3 of the goals are just common mistakes every world class defenders can do. But that last goal by Arsenal I was disappointed. 3-3. I know we need the points, but 1 point is still better then 0? With that pacy Walcott around we have only 1 guy behind at the corner set piece. Arshavin showing 3 fingers was painful, showing 4 I was like crying.

Agreed, especially with the highlighted bit. If we are only going to have one back at the half way line, surely it shouldn't have been Alonso. It had to be Masch, if anyone. Xabi just didn't have the pace to get near Walcott to even block the pass, had it been Masch, I reckon he would have intercepted it and got it back inside our front half for another goalscoring opportunity.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #38: Apr 23, 2009 01:30:02 pm
      Calm down people, theres nothing wrong with the defence that can't quickly be sorted . 3 individual errors cost us, errors from players who i trust 100% to bounce back, just watch.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #39: Apr 23, 2009 01:43:38 pm
      - 2-0 Sunderland
      - 4-0 Real Madrid
      - 4-1 Man United
      - 5-0 Aston Villa
      - 1-0 Fulham (could have been more)
      - 1-3 Chelsea
      - 4-0 Blackburn
      - 4-4 Chelsea
      - 4-4 Arsenal
      Prior to the 4-4 draw at Stamford Bridge, we scored 21 and conceded 4(1 penalty). So our defence has been really sound and IS STILL is.

Remember MU had that long clean sheet run? They later conceded 10 in 4 games(4 against us, 2 against Fulham, Villa and Porto).
      This is football  and it's bound to happen at one point of time.  We were unlucky that so many individual errors happen to come in the same game.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #40: Apr 23, 2009 03:12:16 pm
      We must be glad that the manner we conceded those goals were errors which are not representative of the players themselves. So there is really no cause for concern unlike the situation where committing simple errors are second nature to them.
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #41: Apr 24, 2009 01:15:07 am
      We must be glad that the manner we conceded those goals were errors which are not representative of the players themselves. So there is really no cause for concern unlike the situation where committing simple errors are second nature to them.
      Spot on!

Quick Reply