Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Why Is Our Solid Back Line Not So Solid?

Read 7673 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Why Is Our Solid Back Line Not So Solid?
      Apr 21, 2009 10:16:58 pm
      Our defence is known for its solidness and keeping cleansheets, not conceding many goals but why have we let in 8 goals in 2 games with a few share of them easily preventable as well as 3 the other week in the 1st leg against Chelsea.

On the flip side we are also scoring a lot of goals at the moment but that means nothing if you are leaking them too and giving away the lead. In the last 4 games we have taken the lead 4 times and only once have we came away with the win (against Blackburn).

I know that it isn't just the back lines fault but they have always been so reliable.

The only thing I can think of as to why we are leaking goals is because we are a lot more gung-ho at the moment but even so I cant see why this would effect our goals against because we didn't let any in against Madrid, Villa, Blackburn and only 1 against United.

One thing I am slightly dissapointed about is on 1 of the Arsenal goals Carragher just stayed sat on the grass, he was skipper tonight so the defence would have probably been following his lead even more so. Usually we see Carra rallying the defence after a goal gets let in and then we are fine for the rest of the game, but tonight it just didn't seem like the usual Carra that is so damn reliable you would put your house on him preventing a goal and getting the team going.

It's hard to describe but I think you get the general gist of what I mean, we need to improve this and no doubt Rafa will be giving the team a rollocking on the defending aspect.

Your thoughts?
      « Last Edit: Apr 21, 2009 10:27:07 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Why Is Our Solid Back Line Not So Solid?
      Reply #1: Apr 21, 2009 10:24:03 pm
      I think there is a serious lack of pace in our defence, defensively Arbeloa and Aureilo are fairly average defensively and there is a lack of pace in the centre as well.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #2: Apr 21, 2009 10:28:14 pm
      One for the knee jerk thread this I'm afraid.

Chelsea game we had very little option to go all gung-ho for it.

Tonight, again after they scored their first we had no option to go all gung-ho for it.

Some errors yes, but when you're fighting to win competitions this is what happens.  I'm sure after conceding 3 in the first half in Istanbul nobody decided to start a similar topic.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #3: Apr 21, 2009 10:29:02 pm
      One thing I am slightly dissapointed about is on 1 of the Arsenal goals Carragher just stayed sat on the grass

He was 'pulling his socks up' if you look again.
      LFChrisLFC
      • Forum Ian St John

• 425 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4: Apr 21, 2009 10:30:39 pm
      Get Sami back in there imo
      exwm
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #5: Apr 21, 2009 10:34:33 pm
      And the difference between Blackburn and Chelsea/Arse was that they didn't have a class attack. I think when the team is dominating most of the game, it tends to get the passing towards the back a bit shoddy, they get a bit overconfident keeping possession. And the more they pour forward, the less they want to run back to defend especially towards the end of the match when everyone's run haggard from all the incessant attacks that sadly, doesn't have a very high success rate  ???

But yea, I agree, giving the opponents the lead makes us have to go gung-ho, but that just opens us up too much. Even scoring first doesn't assure us a win! We couldn't defend our 2-0 lead against Chelsea though we did have to stay gung-ho for the crucial 3rd goal.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #6: Apr 21, 2009 10:36:13 pm
      Apart from the lack of pace at the back. ( did say we needed Insua on when Wallcot came on ) When we go on an attacking surge, All the defenders go charging forward as well, Full backs that is, we need to get a bit more disaplined, when the full backs overlap, the wide mid fielders need to cover for them better. Whats hapening is we are getting too many players to far forward and are suckers for the counter. It just needs to be a bit more balanced. Its exciting all right, I'd rather win 5 - 4 than 1 - 0 but we need more concentration.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #7: Apr 21, 2009 10:36:24 pm
      Regardless of whether your fighting to win competitions and regardless of going all gung-ho you cannot forget the simple aspects of defending.

Our back four isn't blessed with loads of technical ability so if  we do try and be clever in our own box most of the time we'll F**k it up. Just boot it out of play and regroup. Simple.

If your going to go gung-ho for it and defend like we did there really isn't much point as all our attacking effort is just being wasted as we concede sloppy goals.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #8: Apr 21, 2009 10:40:06 pm
      He was 'pulling his socks up' if you look again.

I stand corrected, see thats what happens when you leave the room at the wrong time :laugh:

But to be honest with you JD i don't feel that it is a knee jerk reaction because in the past when we have been fighting for competitions we have still been pretty damn solid at the back, apart from when we let in 3 in Istanbul as like you said.

I think where over the years we have always conceded fewer goals than most teams around us in both Domestic and European it just doesn't seem right when we let in the goals that we have done recently.

And i know we had to go gung-ho after they got their 1st but before when we turn it around and take the lead we usually see the game out.

I hope people aren't getting me wrong and thinking i am losing faith in the defence because i have just as much faith in them as ever before.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Apr 21, 2009 10:40:07 pm
      I came on here to say what i felt and JD has done it for me.

One for the knee jerk thread this I'm afraid.

Chelsea game we had very little option to go all gung-ho for it.

Tonight, again after they scored their first we had no option to go all gung-ho for it.

Some errors yes, but when you're fighting to win competitions this is what happens.  I'm sure after conceding 3 in the first half in Istanbul nobody decided to start a similar topic.

Exactly what i wanted to say, to a tee.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #10: Apr 21, 2009 10:42:55 pm
      Regardless of whether your fighting to win competitions and regardless of going all gung-ho you cannot forget the simple aspects of defending.

Our back four isn't blessed with loads of technical ability so if  we do try and be clever in our own box most of the time we'll F**k it up. Just boot it out of play and regroup. Simple.

If your going to go gung-ho for it and defend like we did there really isn't much point as all our attacking effort is just being wasted as we concede sloppy goals.

In extraordinary times, extraordinary things happen in extraordinary games.

Reina has got the fastest 100 clean sheets in Liverpool history under Benitez and we have the meanest defence over the past 5 years since Benitez arrived.

This topic is a knee jerk one. Plain and simple.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #11: Apr 21, 2009 10:44:45 pm
      But to be honest with you JD i don't feel that it is a knee jerk reaction because in the past when we have been fighting for competitions we have still been pretty damn solid at the back, apart from when we let in 3 in Istanbul as like you said.

And against West Ham in the FA Cup Final.

And against Alaves in the UEFA Cup Final.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #12: Apr 21, 2009 10:48:42 pm
      And against West Ham in the FA Cup Final.

And against Alaves in the UEFA Cup Final.

Ok, i will give you the West Ham one (although to be fair Carragher's o.g was very unlucky and Konchesky's was pretty lucky) :D

But the Alaves one is different because we had a different manager which means a different style of play, different keeper/defenders etc and our defence under Houllier wasn't what it is under Rafa.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #13: Apr 21, 2009 10:57:56 pm
      In my opinion JD is a massive jinx for the Reds and should be banned from the forum. Or is that one for the knee jerk thread? :) hehe
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #14: Apr 21, 2009 10:58:24 pm
      I know we have conceded 8 goals in two games and while I do feel we have been more open than normal because we have been trying to win these games most of the goals have come from individual mistakes that will happen in football. It just happens that all are mistakes in defense seem to be coming at the same time.

In tonight's game we were by far the better team and Arsenal only got into the game through our errors in defense. On another night we could have won this game by two or three clear goals. But because we have to go for a win in every game it does tend to leave us a bit more open and individual errors can be punished, especially by players with the quality of Arshavin.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #15: Apr 21, 2009 10:59:24 pm
      In my opinion JD is a massive jinx for the Reds and should be banned from the forum. Or is that one for the knee jerk thread? :) hehe

Somebody should have give me a ticket.  We always win in the Premier League when I go.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #16: Apr 21, 2009 10:59:44 pm
      This is not a knee jerk post, we conceeded , 7 against Chelsea in 2 games and 4 against Arsenal(who were missing there 2 main strikers) i personally think we have the best keeper in the premiership, so something has to be wrong, have to say I love Jamie Carragher, he is a Liverpool legend but he is definetly lost pace, I wouldn't be a big fan of Arbeloa either(nearly afraid to say that on here), Aureilo has had a decent season but hopefully next season is when we see the best of Insua.
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #17: Apr 21, 2009 11:00:36 pm
      Our defence is the same as it has always been. It's just we are taking more risks as we know we have to win every game. As such players are making mistakes, If we had've won 4-3, there would be no talk of our defence letting in 3 goals.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #18: Apr 21, 2009 11:01:59 pm
       it was the only option, we had to win! would rather see a classic open game, than us sit back and lose one nil or draw. It has been silly defensive errors though when dominating a game that has
      made the difference,very annoying.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #19: Apr 21, 2009 11:03:19 pm
      This is not a knee jerk post, we conceeded , 7 against Chelsea in 2 games and 4 against Arsenal(who were missing there 2 main strikers) I personally think we have the best keeper in the premiership, so something has to be wrong, have to say I love Jamie Carragher, he is a Liverpool legend but he is definetly lost pace, I wouldn't be a big fan of Arbeloa either(nearly afraid to say that on here), Aureilo has had a decent season but hopefully next season is when we see the best of Insua.

Yeah, Carra's lost all that blistering pace he used to have in his younger days. He was always slower than a three legged tortoise with sunstroke in restraints. Get a grip! :)
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #20: Apr 21, 2009 11:04:25 pm
      Attack brilliant, Defensively a shambles tonight,where do we go from here?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #21: Apr 21, 2009 11:06:20 pm
      There's been some uncharacteristic mistakes made in defence lately. Usually in the past if such mistakes are made, they're swiftly dealt with before any damage is done.

I don't think we've been switched on in defence in the last two games, as we have come to expect from our defence. It's just been a bit too sloppy and if you come up against teams who have players who can cause damage, then you'll pay for it.

In fact, since Skrtel came back from international duty, he hasn't looked as solid. Which has resulted in an unsettled central pairing. And that can easily affect the full backs.

Pretty sure we'll sort it out though.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #22: Apr 21, 2009 11:07:41 pm
      Attack brilliant, Defensively a shambles tonight,where do we go from here?

Take heart that we're top.

Abit of an over reaction. What if we won 5-4? The Mancs have been just as bad against sides far worse than Chelsea and Arsenal.

They conceded 2 at home to a side we beat 5-0, 2 away to Fulham where we won 1-0, 2-2 at OT against Porto.

Abit of perspective, people.

Quick Reply