Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Beckham LA Galaxy!!

Read 8861 times
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Beckham LA Galaxy!!
      Jan 11, 2007 04:09:28 pm
      Is this a suprise then?? 5yr deal at 128m is a pretty good deal for him in my eyes!!!!!

I would have liked him to stay in europe to be honest as i would have liked him to play for England again (if only to get 100caps) as I think he deserves it....

Any thoughts?

Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Re: Beckham LA Galaxy!!
      Reply #1: Jan 11, 2007 06:23:45 pm
      Good luck to the fella.

I think he could do with the extra few mill !!

I wonder how long it will be before Sky are screening live MLS?

8)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: Jan 11, 2007 06:58:52 pm
      Said he never went for the money !!   ;D   ::)  Dont know who he's trying to kid !
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #3: Jan 11, 2007 07:02:20 pm
      Think his Mrs had a lot to do with this move, money and realisation that he is no longer Mr Golden Bollox.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #4: Jan 11, 2007 09:19:27 pm
      Said he never went for the money !!   ;D   ::)  Dont know who he's trying to kid !

I believe him  ;)
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #5: Jan 11, 2007 10:00:09 pm
      Is this a suprise then?? 5yr deal at 128m is a pretty good deal for him in my eyes!!!!!

I would have liked him to stay in europe to be honest as I would have liked him to play for England again (if only to get 100caps) as I think he deserves it....

Any thoughts?

Who gives a rats arse, I know I dont. He was overrated in my opion always was and always shall, and im not the only one who thought that either ask bobby robson. This has all the hallmarks of posh going on to him "Devid if you go to america it might help resurrect my singing career" What career she sings like sh*te and he plays like sh*te, America is full of sh*te so they will be in good company, good riddence in my opion.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6953 
      Reply #6: Jan 11, 2007 10:56:47 pm
      He might look half-decent in the US league.  To be honest, I'm not really interested but actually good luck to the guy. 

If I was him I would probably do the same.
      Peter North
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #7: Jan 12, 2007 10:04:15 am
      Who gives a rats arse, I know I dont. He was overrated in my opion always was and always shall, and im not the only one who thought that either ask bobby robson. This has all the hallmarks of posh going on to him "Devid if you go to america it might help resurrect my singing career" What career she sings like sh*te and he plays like sh*te, America is full of sh*te so they will be in good company, good riddence in my opion.

Was just going to post my reply when I read yours and it says everything I wanted to...!!! Agree 100%, good riddance to the overated w*nker, 100 caps..hes lucky to have got 50.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Jan 12, 2007 03:29:09 pm

Was just going to post my reply when I read yours and it says everything I wanted to...!!! Agree 100%, good riddance to the overated w*nker, 100 caps..hes lucky to have got 50.

Beckham was a GOOD player.
      But he left from earning £80,000 a week and went for £497,000 a week... Jesus he was a great player but thats a ridiculous amount of money it really is.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #9: Jan 12, 2007 05:51:17 pm
      He is a complete pr**k, with all the poverty in the world and need-worthy charities, How the FCUK can he/anyboby justify that sort of money.
      He is a multi, multi millionaire, NO NEED for any more money, he can live off his interest EASILY.
      People will say, nobody will turn that money down - I disagree, only a couple like the Beckhams would love the limelight that goe's with this.
      They sold there wedding pictures for over a Million, sat on thrones - FFS.

If he'd of played for Liverpool, we'd all be ashamed of his actions !!!!!

Just Thank God he NEVER signed for us.
      His and his Mrs ego's need bringing down to OUR level, just imagine if he or she got mugged out there - they would want as much sympathy as humanly possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'd never wish harm on anybody - but a $1m a week.....
      CARRA101
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 66 posts |
      Reply #10: Jan 12, 2007 06:37:39 pm
      the lads a tit hes a money grabber so fcuk him
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #11: Jan 12, 2007 10:56:53 pm
      He is a complete pr**k, with all the poverty in the world and need-worthy charities, How the FCUK can he/anyboby justify that sort of money.
      He is a multi, multi millionaire, NO NEED for any more money, he can live off his interest EASILY.
      People will say, nobody will turn that money down - I disagree, only a couple like the Beckhams would love the limelight that goe's with this.
      They sold there wedding pictures for over a Million, sat on thrones - FFS.

If he'd of played for Liverpool, we'd all be ashamed of his actions !!!!!

Just Thank God he NEVER signed for us.
      His and his Mrs ego's need bringing down to OUR level, just imagine if he or she got mugged out there - they would want as much sympathy as humanly possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'd never wish harm on anybody - but a $1m a week.....

my sentiments exactly! the likes of me & you will never see that amount of money in our whole lifetime, let alone a week! what an arse!

i thought i'd better clarify that last point! i meant arse as in w**ker, not in appreciation of his backside, which would just be wrong!!
      « Last Edit: Jan 12, 2007 10:59:17 pm by banksiemagic »
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #12: Aug 25, 2007 06:44:44 pm
      « Last Edit: Nov 11, 2007 02:21:47 pm by JD »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #13: Aug 25, 2007 10:11:28 pm
      Yeah shame they changed the colour of the kit the minute Beckham joined, looks like a rip off of the real kit
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #14: Aug 25, 2007 10:15:32 pm
      Wonder what their fans think of it all?

They've not exactly lit the league alight since he joined (got smashed 3-0 the other night) and I'm sure they'll be pissed off with the huge hole in the finances (which may possibly be plugged by shirt sales!) and the influx of wannabe fans who've jumped on the bandwagon since he arrived!

I'd be hacked off if some has-been arrived at Anfield and the owners decided to change the colour of our home shirt! Just not right is it?  :-\
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6953 
      Reply #15: Aug 26, 2007 04:50:37 pm
      They're not fans mate. They're customers.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #16: Aug 27, 2007 08:52:22 pm
      Going to see him play next week against Chivas. He has had a huge impact over here. Looking forward to it and I'll let you know what he is like in the flesh these days. At least I no longer feel that I'm in the football equivalent of the north pole....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6953 
      Reply #17: Aug 27, 2007 11:15:23 pm
      Going to see him play next week against Chivas. He has had a huge impact over here. Looking forward to it and I'll let you know what he is like in the flesh these days. At least I no longer feel that I'm in the football equivalent of the north pole....

Was just going to ask you what the feeling is like over there about it all.

Get us some snaps sunshine - and let us know what it's like - crowd atmosphere etc.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #18: Aug 27, 2007 11:55:09 pm
      Will do....
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #19: Aug 28, 2007 11:45:42 pm
      Lester - is that the superliga cup final - even with Beckham they're not doing too well.

Hope you enjoy - doesn't chivas kit make them look like ath. madrid!!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #20: Aug 29, 2007 01:14:57 am
      Honestly have no idea what the game is! Its hard to get too carried away with mickey mouse tournaments BUT saying that the great drug riddled krusty the clown wannabe Abel Xavier is at the GAAAAAAAAlaxy now so it will be good to see him.

The prob for the GAAAAAAAAAlaxy is that they don't have a team....just a few individuals who are good and the rest who don't know a formation or a tactic if it smaked them in the face!

There are some good players over here and the games on a saturday when you have had a few drinks in the bar can be quite entertaining.

I genuinely applaud Becks for what he is trying to do and he sincerely does want 'Soccer'(?) to be a success over here. The yanks have responded well with bigger crowds and fans actually booing Becks which I think old Golden Balls loves because it means the old cheeseburger chompers are getting off their arses and are getting involved in the game.

Any team which has a mexican following is very well supported and I'll report back on the Chivas fans and game next week.
      grybjk
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #21: Sep 01, 2007 12:06:08 pm
      he is the slave of the money he will be disgrace
      no#1lfcfan
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #22: Sep 01, 2007 01:22:54 pm
       ;D Hey everyone, im new on this site can like some help me like tell me where everything is and stuff i love liverpool lfc till i die/....
      and beckham shouldn't of moved really bad move should of move to the prem
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #23: Oct 04, 2007 02:32:52 am
      sorry for the huge delay in a report on the beckham roadtour.....felt that as he was injured that a summary of the MLS was a bit redundant......went and saw LA Galaxy Vrs Chivas (also LA based at the same stadium) om sept 13th.

Mr Beckham was up the boxes and virtually everyone spent the game looking up to catch a glimpse.....the wife got a neck ache....the stadium, known as the HOME DEPOT CENTER (yup thats how they spell centre) is a great compact and beautifully designed ground....great amenities.....the atmosphere was ok......and that was only because the Chivas fans (mostly Mexicans ) are passionate folk....the game was if you are a GALAXY fan AWFUL...MR Becks was seen notably shaking his head on numerous occasions......

I felt like an idiot for buying my nephews replica shirts of such an terrible team (it was their first game but they are already brainwashed to the Liverpool way thank god). Chivas aren't bad....fairly decent movement and finishing.

To be honest it was  a fairly usual american sporting event....people are more into the family side of it and the occasion rather than the rollercoaster of the deep set knowledge and love of the game, but its a start.

The best thing was the Chivas fans huge banners and their unrelenting hatred of the apparent best american player, Landon Donovan.....that was great!!! Plenty of flares....so much so the game was stopped  for the smoke to clear.....all in all as good as you will get over here and Becks is back in training today so I may get a chance to see him later this season......regardless I'm going to the Liverpool-Arse game in oct so I'll get a good dose of medicine then....
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #24: Oct 04, 2007 07:28:33 am
      He's gone for the money, and so they can live amongst the celebrities in L.A so his stuck up wife can think shes a big shot. Seriously lads, who would u rather play for; LA Galaxy who are coming second last in their region and lose every game by 2-3 goals, or Real Madrid, arguable the best team in world soccer history??? It speaks for itself
      I never rated him as a player- and hes not the type of player who can bring a team out of relegation and bring wonders to a squad....he'll score a nice free-kick 2-3 times a season, and thats it...
      hes being used for promotional and marketing purposes, and not for his skill...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6953 
      Reply #25: Oct 04, 2007 07:47:27 pm
      Cheers for the report lester
      Cy
      Reply #26: Oct 04, 2007 08:46:55 pm
      I'm not a fan of Beckham at all, but if there is something nobody can't deny to the lad, is his commitment and passion for the game. He was a great captain for England, and when needed his crosses and free kick are even now second to none. He has got a lot of stick due to his lifestyle and especially because of his wife, I never really understand the craziness of the Beckhamania but isn't the media to blame for that instead of the man?

I really think that he went to the States believing he will change the mentality over there and bring football at the place it rightly deserve, I also believe that he start to realize the mistake he made doing so, that how intense and good your intentions are ,even if you are called Beckham, it's not always working that way.

The huge amount of money he is getting paid shouldn't be a surprise to anybody who slightly follow American sports, salary are huge over there and that is nothing to do with Beckham, after all who could blame someone to accept a juicy contract if offered?..

I wish him luck over there, simply because the challenge for him won't be to save LA galaxy but to avoid to get injured in a league week in week out,  where everything is slower and less technical then any league in Europe, making him the obvious target.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #27: Oct 17, 2007 02:06:02 pm
      id like to believe he went to change things over there but then you see how much money hes getting and how could you believe it after that ridiculous amount of cash?! if he had any morals he would have accepted a pay just abit more than what he gets here, not 10 times more. footy players get paid too much as it is. then you have his dumb ass wife, he is under the thumb big time.

there is no way Americans will embrace football the way it deserves as they have their own games such as baseball, basketball and nascar and gun shooting. they will turn it into a bloody circus with cheer leaders, giant foam hands, hotdogs flying everywhere, the commentator talking like hes at a wrestling match (did any one see how they introduced every player from both teams when Chelsea played galaxy?, it was like a bloody circus).

every one will get bored with beckham pretty soon, all this move has done is made David less effective to england because of fatigue going back and forth flying. football doesn't belong in the U.S.A and David belongs in england, end of f***ing story.
      « Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007 02:10:32 pm by DOBBS83 »
      StefanFredrik
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts | -1 
      Reply #28: Oct 31, 2007 12:45:47 pm
      American people believe that David Beckham can change everthing there about football.But Maradona and Pele together in a team cannot do that.Football is not popular there and never will be.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #29: Oct 31, 2007 01:00:09 pm
      American people believe that David Beckham can change everthing there about football.But Maradona and Pele together in a team cannot do that.Football is not popular there and never will be.

I dont think Maradona and Pele played in the one team, it was Beckenbouwer (spelling is bad with his name sorry) and Carlos Alberto..

But anyway your point is really true they are to into baseball basketball and American football etc.
      StefanFredrik
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts | -1 
      Reply #30: Oct 31, 2007 01:06:40 pm
      I dont think Maradona and Pele played in the one team, it was Beckenbouwer (spelling is bad with his name sorry) and Carlos Alberto..

But anyway your point is really true they are to into baseball basketball and American football etc.

I mean if they were in the same team ;)  I know they have never played together.My English is poor sorry.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #31: Oct 31, 2007 01:12:13 pm
      I mean if they were in the same team ;)  I know they have never played together.My English is poor sorry.

;D thats fine but you are correct the americans will never accept "soccer" as their main sport. We need SuperJon on here to tell us the real view *sends telopathic messages*
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #32: Nov 02, 2007 02:41:56 am
      The Beckham Phenomenom isn't about making 'soccer' the premier sport in the USA....that will, as you have clearly stated will never happen. The NBA, NFL, MLB and of all things NASCAR are far too powerful.

For too long our great sport has been derided by the insular and jingoistic yanks and BUT ever since the 94 World cup the tide has slowly been turning towards warranting football its deserved respect. Beckham has had a huge impact here already in a country of limited attention spans.....after all every sport here has a timeout, an innings or a quater purely for commercial reasons.

Its such a shame he has been injured but the crowds have grown and the intrest is getting stronger. Beckham knows that 'soccer' will never conquer the US but will in time gain a huge slice of the lucrative american apple pie.

On a side note....lets stop being so anti foreigners...football and Liverpool are a global force so respect the following of our sport and club. Yes the yanks can't hold a candle to the passion of the fans or the atmosphere of the stadium but embrace their interest rather than act like snobs.......
      « Last Edit: Nov 02, 2007 03:20:55 am by lester76 »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #33: Nov 02, 2007 02:49:58 am
      That side note makes a lot of sense.

Where've you been Lester (don't say America ;D)? Good to see you again!!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #34: Nov 02, 2007 03:22:35 am
      Yup...still in California trying to avoid the wild fires!!! Will be back in blighty soon for a little bit of Anfield medicine.....
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #35: Nov 04, 2007 04:07:17 pm

I would have liked him to stay in europe to be honest as I would have liked him to play for England again (if only to get 100caps) as I think he deserves it....

Any thoughts?

A player that seeks to remain relevant in 'quality' football must try to strike a balance between big bucks and the right league to play in. Some power financial moves often turn out to be career suicides.

Quick Reply