Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Beckham LA Galaxy!!

Read 8873 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: Beckham LA Galaxy!!
      Reply #23: Oct 04, 2007 02:32:52 am
      sorry for the huge delay in a report on the beckham roadtour.....felt that as he was injured that a summary of the MLS was a bit redundant......went and saw LA Galaxy Vrs Chivas (also LA based at the same stadium) om sept 13th.

Mr Beckham was up the boxes and virtually everyone spent the game looking up to catch a glimpse.....the wife got a neck ache....the stadium, known as the HOME DEPOT CENTER (yup thats how they spell centre) is a great compact and beautifully designed ground....great amenities.....the atmosphere was ok......and that was only because the Chivas fans (mostly Mexicans ) are passionate folk....the game was if you are a GALAXY fan AWFUL...MR Becks was seen notably shaking his head on numerous occasions......

I felt like an idiot for buying my nephews replica shirts of such an terrible team (it was their first game but they are already brainwashed to the Liverpool way thank god). Chivas aren't bad....fairly decent movement and finishing.

To be honest it was  a fairly usual american sporting event....people are more into the family side of it and the occasion rather than the rollercoaster of the deep set knowledge and love of the game, but its a start.

The best thing was the Chivas fans huge banners and their unrelenting hatred of the apparent best american player, Landon Donovan.....that was great!!! Plenty of flares....so much so the game was stopped  for the smoke to clear.....all in all as good as you will get over here and Becks is back in training today so I may get a chance to see him later this season......regardless I'm going to the Liverpool-Arse game in oct so I'll get a good dose of medicine then....
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #24: Oct 04, 2007 07:28:33 am
      He's gone for the money, and so they can live amongst the celebrities in L.A so his stuck up wife can think shes a big shot. Seriously lads, who would u rather play for; LA Galaxy who are coming second last in their region and lose every game by 2-3 goals, or Real Madrid, arguable the best team in world soccer history??? It speaks for itself
      I never rated him as a player- and hes not the type of player who can bring a team out of relegation and bring wonders to a squad....he'll score a nice free-kick 2-3 times a season, and thats it...
      hes being used for promotional and marketing purposes, and not for his skill...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6969 
      Reply #25: Oct 04, 2007 07:47:27 pm
      Cheers for the report lester
      Cy
      Reply #26: Oct 04, 2007 08:46:55 pm
      I'm not a fan of Beckham at all, but if there is something nobody can't deny to the lad, is his commitment and passion for the game. He was a great captain for England, and when needed his crosses and free kick are even now second to none. He has got a lot of stick due to his lifestyle and especially because of his wife, I never really understand the craziness of the Beckhamania but isn't the media to blame for that instead of the man?

I really think that he went to the States believing he will change the mentality over there and bring football at the place it rightly deserve, I also believe that he start to realize the mistake he made doing so, that how intense and good your intentions are ,even if you are called Beckham, it's not always working that way.

The huge amount of money he is getting paid shouldn't be a surprise to anybody who slightly follow American sports, salary are huge over there and that is nothing to do with Beckham, after all who could blame someone to accept a juicy contract if offered?..

I wish him luck over there, simply because the challenge for him won't be to save LA galaxy but to avoid to get injured in a league week in week out,  where everything is slower and less technical then any league in Europe, making him the obvious target.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #27: Oct 17, 2007 02:06:02 pm
      id like to believe he went to change things over there but then you see how much money hes getting and how could you believe it after that ridiculous amount of cash?! if he had any morals he would have accepted a pay just abit more than what he gets here, not 10 times more. footy players get paid too much as it is. then you have his dumb ass wife, he is under the thumb big time.

there is no way Americans will embrace football the way it deserves as they have their own games such as baseball, basketball and nascar and gun shooting. they will turn it into a bloody circus with cheer leaders, giant foam hands, hotdogs flying everywhere, the commentator talking like hes at a wrestling match (did any one see how they introduced every player from both teams when Chelsea played galaxy?, it was like a bloody circus).

every one will get bored with beckham pretty soon, all this move has done is made David less effective to england because of fatigue going back and forth flying. football doesn't belong in the U.S.A and David belongs in england, end of f***ing story.
      « Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007 02:10:32 pm by DOBBS83 »
      StefanFredrik
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts | -1 
      Reply #28: Oct 31, 2007 12:45:47 pm
      American people believe that David Beckham can change everthing there about football.But Maradona and Pele together in a team cannot do that.Football is not popular there and never will be.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #29: Oct 31, 2007 01:00:09 pm
      American people believe that David Beckham can change everthing there about football.But Maradona and Pele together in a team cannot do that.Football is not popular there and never will be.

I dont think Maradona and Pele played in the one team, it was Beckenbouwer (spelling is bad with his name sorry) and Carlos Alberto..

But anyway your point is really true they are to into baseball basketball and American football etc.
      StefanFredrik
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts | -1 
      Reply #30: Oct 31, 2007 01:06:40 pm
      I dont think Maradona and Pele played in the one team, it was Beckenbouwer (spelling is bad with his name sorry) and Carlos Alberto..

But anyway your point is really true they are to into baseball basketball and American football etc.

I mean if they were in the same team ;)  I know they have never played together.My English is poor sorry.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #31: Oct 31, 2007 01:12:13 pm
      I mean if they were in the same team ;)  I know they have never played together.My English is poor sorry.

;D thats fine but you are correct the americans will never accept "soccer" as their main sport. We need SuperJon on here to tell us the real view *sends telopathic messages*
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #32: Nov 02, 2007 02:41:56 am
      The Beckham Phenomenom isn't about making 'soccer' the premier sport in the USA....that will, as you have clearly stated will never happen. The NBA, NFL, MLB and of all things NASCAR are far too powerful.

For too long our great sport has been derided by the insular and jingoistic yanks and BUT ever since the 94 World cup the tide has slowly been turning towards warranting football its deserved respect. Beckham has had a huge impact here already in a country of limited attention spans.....after all every sport here has a timeout, an innings or a quater purely for commercial reasons.

Its such a shame he has been injured but the crowds have grown and the intrest is getting stronger. Beckham knows that 'soccer' will never conquer the US but will in time gain a huge slice of the lucrative american apple pie.

On a side note....lets stop being so anti foreigners...football and Liverpool are a global force so respect the following of our sport and club. Yes the yanks can't hold a candle to the passion of the fans or the atmosphere of the stadium but embrace their interest rather than act like snobs.......
      « Last Edit: Nov 02, 2007 03:20:55 am by lester76 »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #33: Nov 02, 2007 02:49:58 am
      That side note makes a lot of sense.

Where've you been Lester (don't say America ;D)? Good to see you again!!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #34: Nov 02, 2007 03:22:35 am
      Yup...still in California trying to avoid the wild fires!!! Will be back in blighty soon for a little bit of Anfield medicine.....
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #35: Nov 04, 2007 04:07:17 pm
      Is this a suprise then?? 5yr deal at 128m is a pretty good deal for him in my eyes!!!!!

I would have liked him to stay in europe to be honest as I would have liked him to play for England again (if only to get 100caps) as I think he deserves it....

Any thoughts?

A player that seeks to remain relevant in 'quality' football must try to strike a balance between big bucks and the right league to play in. Some power financial moves often turn out to be career suicides.

Quick Reply