Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)

Read 11718 times
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)
      May 12, 2009 10:10:52 am
      Liverpool boss Benitez lines up £12m bid for Middlesbrough winger Downing.

Stewart Downing has emerged as the preferred choice to solve Rafa Benitez’s need for more width and will be the subject of a £12m bid by Liverpool at the end of the season.

The above is taken from The Daily Mail Online and can be found here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1180664/Liverpool-boss-Benitez-lines-12m-bid-Middlesbrough-winger-Downing.html

Thoughts? I always rated Downing personally, he's naturally left footed and has been influential for Boro for the last few seasons.
      12million though?
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Re: Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)
      Reply #1: May 12, 2009 10:15:45 am
      The question here would be, him or Riera?
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #2: May 12, 2009 10:19:16 am
      To be honest i would favour Downing.

He's played in the Prem all his life and is used to the physicality of the English game whereas Riera didn't exactly make a big impact the 1st time around with Man City and seems to be struggling to adapt this time too.

Riera undoubtedly has skill in abundance but i think he struggles with the pace and rough stuff in the English game.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #3: May 12, 2009 10:22:31 am
      I agree, Downing has been raised on the game - but so too has Keane.

Its hit and miss with this one,

Any other thoughts lads?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #4: May 12, 2009 10:25:30 am
      He's a quality performer in a pish poor outfit and could really shine in our team. I would have him over Riera every time but that may be just me.  :-\
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #5: May 12, 2009 10:41:42 am
      IMO i see him as a great player at an average club and then an average player at a great club. I don't think he's liverpool quality. I'm prepared to be shown wrong but I think there are better options.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #6: May 12, 2009 12:24:09 pm
      sh*te, sh*te and sh*te.

In my honest opinion, he makes Albert look like John Barnes! Watched him last night too lightweight, knocked off the ball too easily. You'd never have thought he was the captain of his hometown team that are battling against relegation. Completely anonymous!

The new Stuart Ripley.

Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #7: May 12, 2009 12:27:51 pm
      id rather riera than downing to be honest especially at 12 mill
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #8: May 12, 2009 12:36:22 pm
      Sh*te, sh*te and sh*te.

In my honest opinion, he makes Albert look like John Barnes! Watched him last night too lightweight, knocked off the ball too easily. You'd never have thought he was the captain of his hometown team that are battling against relegation. Completely anonymous!

The new Stuart Ripley.

I disagree mate i thought the lad did the best he could in an absolute shambles of a side with a dead loss manager, at one point he was playing passes with the outside of his left foot because they had him filling in on the right wing! then when he did get moved onto the left he had to drop deeper again because Southgate brought Johnson (think that's the lads name) on to bomb down the wing.
      Whilst i would agree that £12m is a bit steep given his current form and Boro's dilemma i would be interested to see if the early promise he showed would return if he played for a big club and in his actual position, i just dont want silly money chucked about to find out.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9: May 12, 2009 12:46:59 pm
      No I would never offer 12mill on him. In my eyes Riera on his day has proven that he is cut for LFC particularly evident in the months from October to December. But in saying that I think Albert is a confidence player who needs a fequent kick up the ass.

Downing is a decent player but yet again his price has been inflated because he is English.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #10: May 12, 2009 12:48:45 pm
      Will he help us win the league? would United/Chelsea/Arsenal sign him? Nahhhhhh!!! Next Jermaine Pennant, but on the left. spurs maybe, Liverpool, no chance!!
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #11: May 12, 2009 12:58:39 pm
      If Boro are goin down and he wants to move... And Rafa wants him.

Borough WILL take alot less than 12mill out of desperation.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #12: May 12, 2009 01:07:21 pm
      Uhm no thank you .. probably the next Keane  great with his prem team , proven player in the prem can handle the physicality ect .ect. but he is not quality we need tricky left winger who is not all about being a show pony we should buy David Silva he is pure quality he can add depth to the squad buying him is like buying 4 diff players he's very versatile , quick, intelligent , skillful , pacey and generous with the ball ( unlike Riera ) and is not a show pony and links will link up with Nando well and provide quality passes and crosses  so and o would be able to hit 25 easily every season . Downing can't provide all of this  he doesn't add that touch of class and to set us above the rest and won't be able to unlock tight defenses . So I would say if we are going to spend 20-30mil on one player I'd say David Silva he's worth it !
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: May 12, 2009 04:31:08 pm
      yeah. Riera is good, Downing is better, but Silva is the best. i would go for Silva rather than Downing, Tevez, or any other left winger you name.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #14: May 12, 2009 04:33:48 pm
      Having watched a few boro games this season, i don't think Stewart Downing is good enough for us.
      Whether Boro go down or not i hope we don't sign him
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,368 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: May 12, 2009 04:34:04 pm
      If Stewart Downing is the one to turn us into champions then I'm obviously missing something. Over rated is an understatement
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #16: May 12, 2009 05:01:43 pm
      If Stewart Downing is the one to turn us into champions then I'm obviously missing something.

:lmao:

£12m definitely having a laugh.  I have seen enough of him to think he would be a welcomed addition on the bench which definitely doesn't value him at that sort of price.  I wouldn't be against a transfer of between 6-8m, could be a step up from Riera!
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #17: May 12, 2009 05:08:50 pm
      I would never pay £12m for him. He is the Captain of Boro and yet he has the fighting spirit of a slug. He has quality for a team fighting for the 4th Champions League spot but not a team who is fighting for the title.

I would rather spend the £12m on Gareth Barry and I don't want him either.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,510 posts | 2871 
      Reply #18: May 12, 2009 05:40:35 pm
      Absolute joke this.

Stewart Downing to turn us from title contenders to champions?

Jog on.

He's like Glen Johnson, only shines in a poor side.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #19: May 12, 2009 05:41:49 pm
      Not unless he bought me a Mercedes.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: May 12, 2009 06:12:51 pm
      I've never rated him. But Rafa obviously sees something in him if we're to believe the latest link.

Personally though, I don't think he is good enough for LFC. In games where I've seen him play, he can go missing and needs a lot of time on the ball.

And this quote below is from an admin on a Boro forum. I think it says a lot to be honest coming from a Boro fan.

I hope he does stay as on a good day he is a good player and can create chances.

adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #21: May 12, 2009 06:23:00 pm
      Downing would be such a waste of money but you know someone (hope it is not us) will fork over 10m-12m for him. He is a younger English version of Riera
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #22: May 12, 2009 06:58:05 pm
      I'd rate him if he bought me a Mercedes.

But the only reason people rate him is because he's English. If he was Dutch, German, Spanish, Argie or whatever, no-one would think anything of him. I think he's a poor player, and one I don't want here EVEN if he bought me a Mercedes.

Quick Reply