Trending Topics

Were we like the Mancs when we were ruling??

Read 12044 times
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Were we like the Mancs when we were ruling??
      May 18, 2009 07:19:15 am
      Hopefully this is the right place to post.Sorry if it isn't mods.

As we all know they won the title again this year and equaled our record of 18 titles.We haven't won it for 20 years now, and as a fan who just started supporting Liverpool since 2000 when I was 12 ,I have never seen us winning the league before and as a result of that I have got a lot of stick from them! I understand that it is all part of football!

But what really gets to me is the fact that,most MU fans celebrate their victory by making fun of us more than celebrating their own team. I was having a look at Redcafe  (Mancs forum) and not surprisingly the had a lot of threads that made fun of us!! They even had a thread to mock RAWK!! Now I know that Internet wasn't around the last time when we won the league,but my point is....Were our fans back then so full of themselves and arrogant that we made the so called MU "fans" "suffer" ?? I personally don't think we were as low as them!!But, I would like a honest answer from the good people in this forum who were lucky enough to  King Kenny's rule!!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Were we like the Mancs when we were ruling??
      Reply #1: May 18, 2009 10:00:56 am
       When we were cleaning up all the league titles,F.A.Cups,League Cups and all the European Cups we did it with style and we did it with modest managers.Ferguson can never be compared to Bill Shankly,Bob Paisley,Joe Fagan and Kenny Dalglish in fact it is an insult to even mention his name when talking about our famous managers.The same goes for the fans,L.F.C. fans have long been recognised as the most knowledgeable and fairest in the world and that is why all the top class players love to play at Anfield and get first hand experience of the Kop in full voice.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #2: May 18, 2009 11:11:38 am
      But what really gets to me is the fact that,most MU fans celebrate their victory by making fun of us more than celebrating their own team. I was having a look at Redcafe  (Mancs forum) and not surprisingly the had a lot of threads that made fun of us!! They even had a thread to mock RAWK!!

Redcafe is just the inbreds version of RAWK.

They are completely obsessed, which is why every game they sing about us, why Fergie had to mention how his all-star title winning team was never three goals worse than us at Old Trafford.

Put it this way, they won the league and needed a soundtrack to party to. When we win that F***ing league, any richter scale measurement around Anfield that day would be off the scale. We'll provide our own soundtrack, just like we provide our own flags and banners.
      3 Colours Red
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #3: May 18, 2009 12:01:35 pm
      I was a regular at Anfield during the 1970's and 1980's when we were at our most successful. Whilst not as bad as the Utd fans there was still an unhealthy obsession amongst some Liverpool fans to a Man Utd team who were not doing well, e.g singing the Munich song at most games. We should have just risen above the whole thing.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 661 posts |
      Reply #4: May 18, 2009 12:01:45 pm
      Redcafe is just the inbreds version of RAWK.

They are completely obsessed, which is why every game they sing about us, why Fergie had to mention how his all-star title winning team was never three goals worse than us at Old Trafford.

Bitter isn't he? But the way the media in Britain is.... ..I mean I heard Richard keys saying something about Rafa not gracious in defeat! How come Fergie never gets that thrown at him? What would  have Shanks done...if he was asked were Mu the better team now?
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 661 posts |
      Reply #5: May 18, 2009 12:04:10 pm
      I was a regular at Anfield during the 1970's and 1980's when we were at our most successful. Whilst not as bad as the Utd fans there was still an unhealthy obsession amongst some Liverpool fans to a Man Utd team who were not doing well, e.g singing the Munich song at most games. We should have just risen above the whole thing.

That is really bad!! Those who sang about Munich should be ashamed to call themselves Liverpool fans!! I guess the honest assessment is that both clubs have a fair number of plastic fans but maybe ..just maybe United have more!
      King Cantona
      • Likes to finish every post with multiple full stops.
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #6: May 18, 2009 03:42:05 pm
      That is really bad!! Those who sang about Munich should be ashamed to call themselves Liverpool fans!! I guess the honest assessment is that both clubs have a fair number of plastic fans but maybe ..just maybe United have more!

Well we've probably got more now but back in the 70s and 80s Liverpool had their share as well, it's like when you met a cockney ten years ago they were always Arsenal fans. Now when you meet a cockney he's a Chelsea fan.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #7: May 18, 2009 07:07:37 pm
      There was no PC brigade (thank God) back in the 60's 70's and 80's so if you don't appreciate that song you wouldnt have enjoyed going to Anfield it was far more hostile than today.There was even hostility between the Kop and the Anfield road end.
      But we did acknowledge good football and good effort hence the applause for goalkeepers and apposing teams that played well. Utd will never understand that good effort deserves respect so no we were not like them and never will be.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 661 posts |
      Reply #8: May 18, 2009 07:23:20 pm
      There was no PC brigade (thank God) back in the 60's 70's and 80's so if you don't appreciate that song you wouldnt have enjoyed going to Anfield it was far more hostile than today.There was even hostility between the Kop and the Anfield road end.
      But we did acknowledge good football and good effort hence the applause for goalkeepers and apposing teams that played well. Utd will never understand that good effort deserves respect so no we were not like them and never will be.

Which song? I hope it's You'll never walk alone and not some song directed at the  Munich air crash!!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #9: May 18, 2009 07:34:13 pm
      It comes in waves. When you have a team that has been as successful as United over the last 10 years your going to have a lot of pricks. A large group of United fans dont really know failure so your going to get a cocky attitude from them.  Every long run of success will breed animosity. I'm sure that level of hatred for United was felt by Man U fans in the 70-80's toward Liverpool. Times are different now with the Internet, forums,websites and fans and haters alike now have a chance to have their voices heard.

I hate to say it but I'm sure Liverpool fans were dicks to United fans. Its just natural. Not that its right, chanting about Munich is pretty shitty. Its the same as if United chanted about Hillsborough.  It would be awesome to think that the fans in the 70's and 80's were perfect, but lets face facts, back then was the height of the Firms and hooligans and English Footall was far from the "Beautiful Game".
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 661 posts |
      Reply #10: May 18, 2009 07:41:45 pm
      It comes in waves. When you have a team that has been as successful as United over the last 10 years your going to have a lot of pricks. A large group of United fans dont really know failure so your going to get a cocky attitude from them.  Every long run of success will breed animosity. I'm sure that level of hatred for United was felt by Man U fans in the 70-80's toward Liverpool. Times are different now with the Internet, forums,websites and fans and haters alike now have a chance to have their voices heard.

I hate to say it but I'm sure Liverpool fans were dicks to United fans. Its just natural. Not that its right, chanting about Munich is pretty shitty. Its the same as if United chanted about Hillsborough.  It would be awesome to think that the fans in the 70's and 80's were perfect, but lets face facts, back then was the height of the Firms and hooligans and English Footall was far from the "Beautiful Game".

Probably but the one thing that I believe that LFC had back then was that our managers were modest.Ferguson brought the whole hatred into the English game, and if there is one thing that I believe we haven't loss is our pride,honour and respect to referees!!
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #11: May 18, 2009 07:57:20 pm
      Probably but the one thing that I believe that LFC had back then was that our managers were modest.Ferguson brought the whole hatred into the English game, and if there is one thing that I believe we haven't loss is our pride,honour and respect to referees!!

You think Ferguson brought the hatred into the English game? You can't be serious, I was a regular back then and chants about Munich and songs about Munich were the norm, I realise that people are going to be very offended by this but I'm about to speak the truth..........Again.... .

The Heysel Stadium disaster was a very dark day for football but there was also something else very dark that day, and that was that almost every banner at the Liverpool end was about Munich......

I expect lots of people to try and rewrite history by telling me that it wasn't true but it was........
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 661 posts |
      Reply #12: May 18, 2009 08:09:37 pm
      Alright KC drop it....I hope this thread doesn't become a 'dark' thread!!I don't want people coming here and talking about Munich and Hillsborough.

Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #13: May 18, 2009 08:09:46 pm
      I doubt it. Football fans have degraded over time, there used to be a friendly competitive atmosphere between rivals, now it's bitter hatred.

Also, they are using us as a yardstick, and we weren't using them.
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #14: May 18, 2009 08:12:42 pm
      Alright KC drop it....I hope this thread doesn't become a 'dark' thread!!I don't want people coming here and talking about Munich and Hillsborough.

Well yes I agree but to say that Fergie brought the hatred into English football is amazing, I started going in the seventies and I can assure you that football back then was far more full of hatred than it is now.......
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #15: May 18, 2009 08:14:10 pm
      I doubt it. Football fans have degraded over time, there used to be a friendly atmosphere between rivals, now it's bitter hatred.

Also, they are using us as a yardstick, and we weren't using them.

In my opinion there is nothing like the hatred that existed in the 70s and 80s..
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #16: May 18, 2009 08:16:38 pm
      In my opinion there is nothing like the hatred that existed in the 70s and 80s..

But Liverpool and Everton fans could sit together at matches etc. Not like that nowadays.  Also, it might have something to do with money. Ticket prices going through the roof means that the thugs and hooligans are being priced out.

In all probability I'm talking out of my arse.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 661 posts |
      Reply #17: May 18, 2009 08:39:16 pm
       Well ,tell you something... in Malaysia...most people here are MU fans at least they claim they are! But honestly they don't even know who is Bobby Charlton..now not all MU fans are glory hunters here but most of them are!! I admit that some Liverpool 'fans' here are plastic fans too!! However, since English football was only widely broadcast here in the 90's and that's when MU ruled. So forgive me for thinking that Ferguson brought hatred .......because in Malaysia most people don't have a good knowledge on the events before the "knock off the perch" comment!!Thanks for the info that in the 70s and 80s football was all about hatred....or so you say..
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #18: May 18, 2009 09:55:43 pm
      But Liverpool and Everton fans could sit together at matches etc. Not like that nowadays.  Also, it might have something to do with money. Ticket prices going through the roof means that the thugs and hooligans are being priced out.

In all probability I'm talking out of my arse.

That's a good point, I don't think you're talking out of your arse because I can remember when Liverpool and Everton fans could sit together at matches as well. But I think by and large nowadays the hatred is very much watered down, I remember being at Birmigham in the mid 70s and there was a pitched battle going on on the terraces for the whole game and about an hour before the game, it wasn't even on the news because it was pretty much the norm...

If that happened today it would be all over the news because it's newsworthy given that it's so rare now....
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #19: May 18, 2009 09:58:12 pm
      Thanks for the info that in the 70s and 80s football was all about hatred....or so you say..

I'm not making it up, some older posters on here will no doubt confirm this......
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #20: May 19, 2009 01:22:41 pm
      On the pitch during the 70s and 80s teams seemed to be modest and their managers where in general media shy genial men, yes we had the gobby Brian Clough or ‘Mr Bojangles’ Ron Atkinson but they where seen as entertainment because mainly what they came out with was not vindictive or malicious even if Cloughie lost the plot big time towards the end of his career when he became totally pickled due to his alcohol intake.

During the height of our powers Bob Paisley was the epitome of modesty as he swept away all that was put before him, after the 77 cup final loss to Man Utd he sat on a bus coming home whilst Brian Moore interviewed him he then went on to say how it was a shame that we had lost but we had a European cup final to come on Wednesday and Liverpool would be doing their best to win and make Britain proud, all this was said without once bemoaning a conceded deflected goal or launching into a venomous ‘we woz robbed’ tirade against anyone from the Ref to the programme seller on Wembley way, in fact Bob delivered his post match interview with a lovely beaming smile on his face that he always had whether we won or lost.

The point is he had grace in defeat and was magnanimous in his praise when we won and I think this attitude transferred itself to the fans, I never went round boasting and bragging to my mates because we all knew who the best team in Europe where yes it was Real Madrid!! ;D No it was Liverpool of course but why did we need to rub it in to other clubs when we won things every year surely boasting is something done by clubs who have never won much as they never know when they will lift a trophy again?

On Merseyside I find the lads who tend to get on a high horse and brag and boast come from a group who have never been a game in their life, those who sit in the pub every Saturday wearing their replica top and watch the game on whatever foreign channel that’s showing it! The bitterest of blues I bump into also seem to fall under the same category and now seemed to be more preoccupied with how Liverpool have got on instead of their own team!

Slur Alex didn’t set this trend of bragging to the extreme its just the way certain fans seem to have gone, every club has them I just think you will find most reds do not fall into this category, there’s a song by Ronan Keating I think (no I don’t have the album!) that goes something like “you say it best when you say nothing at all” and I think that line is perfect as I prefer to look smug rather than go for the all out verbal assault.

Oh by the way about the bit that went off topic regarding the 70s-80s being better or worse violence/animosity wise, well in my opinion they where ten times worse back then. Yes Reds and blues mingled as pockets of each appeared on the Kop/Street end during a Derby with very few violent results, but the trouble with other fans was to the extreme to put it mildly as Rapid hardware in town sold more DIY items on a match day than the do now on a Bank holiday Monday and they weren’t for odd jobs round the house.

This was going on long before Sir Alex appeared on the scene so to tarnish him with helping to remove the ‘friendly banter’ from a game is totally wrong, for me money is the root of all that’s wrong in our game, those who have it wave it about like Harry Enfields loadsamoney, those who don’t scrape to survive and cast envious glances up to the richer elite. Those elite seem to attract the ‘fashion fan’ somebody not football mad from birth but manufactured by the ability to follow who you want as long as you have the money.

Through the 70s-80s I queued to get into Anfield, paid my money and took up my place on the Kop, fast forward to now in an age where you wait on a phone ticket line give them your credit card number and your in. The point I’m making is the lazy reds fan the fan who isn’t that bothered whether he gets in or not is in a lottery with fans who would bleed to get into Anfield and usually the wrong fan seems to win that lottery and that can only be detrimental to our support.

King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #21: May 19, 2009 03:05:33 pm

This was going on long before Sir Alex appeared on the scene so to tarnish him with helping to remove the ‘friendly banter’ from a game is totally wrong, for me money is the root of all that’s wrong in our game, those who have it wave it about like Harry Enfields loadsamoney, those who don’t scrape to survive and cast envious glances up to the richer elite. Those elite seem to attract the ‘fashion fan’ somebody not football mad from birth but manufactured by the ability to follow who you want as long as you have the money.

Through the 70s-80s I queued to get into Anfield, paid my money and took up my place on the Kop, fast forward to now in an age where you wait on a phone ticket line give them your credit card number and your in. The point I’m making is the lazy reds fan the fan who isn’t that bothered whether he gets in or not is in a lottery with fans who would bleed to get into Anfield and usually the wrong fan seems to win that lottery and that can only be detrimental to our support.

I agree with this because I too was going in the 70s and 80s, nowadays you need to be chairman of ICI to be able to afford football. I was a teenager with a low paid job and yet I could still afford to go to every home game as well as several away games, I remember when I was at school and I read that Stuart Pearson got ÂŁ400 a week......

I was absolutely gobsmacked that someone could be paid so much but look at it now, a half decent player is getting 40 or 50 grand and the really good players are getting in excess of ÂŁ100,000 a week, it stinks...
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #22: May 19, 2009 03:10:58 pm
      One thing i do remember is everybody did hate us, because we were the best....now we are again.

Quick Reply