Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Best role for gerrard

Read 3455 times
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Best role for gerrard
      Feb 01, 2007 02:14:32 pm
       I  think with momo coming back to fitness and now we have Maschereno and Alonso, we have 3 great holding midfield players, and we can play any 2 out of the 3, so where will gerrard play?

I'm not a great lover of playing 3 forwards, again we do have 3 great forwards and we can play any 2 out of the 3.

My thoughts would be to play gerrard just behind the 2 forwards, and give him the freedom to rome anywere, that way we could swap our wingers to suit the game.

so the team would be playing a 4-3-1-2.

would love to hear your thoughts. ;D
      « Last Edit: Feb 02, 2007 07:11:34 pm by Jabba »
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Re: Best roll for gerrard
      Reply #1: Feb 01, 2007 03:05:54 pm
      I have a nasty feeling Stevie G will be getting whitewash on his boots again as he probably will go back on the wing when everyone’s available.
      As Rafa sometimes plays with three up front the forwards are asked to cover back for wide positions as these are prone to attack with a three man midfield, Kuyt was a good example against West Ham if Gerrard was given a roaming agenda would he be disciplined enough to give the flanks cover? its definitely a good idea “For Sure” I just get the feeling that once everyone’s fit Rafa has a game plan and he sticks to it.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,198 posts | 1641 
      Reply #2: Feb 01, 2007 08:24:08 pm
      im not to sure stevie g will be going back to the wing, JP is starting to play some proper football now. i think he will keep him in the centre, and our great run of form has coincided with stevie being put in the centre.
      sparky
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #3: Feb 01, 2007 08:28:37 pm
      real madrid lost my support over the chelsea thing
      RedWilly

• 9,198 posts | 1641 
      Reply #4: Feb 01, 2007 08:58:39 pm
      ???
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #5: Feb 01, 2007 09:00:38 pm

Exactly Liverbird ?????????
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #6: Feb 01, 2007 09:30:30 pm
      he looks like a cheese and pickle man to me

without question in the middle its no coincidence our change in form sinve he reverted back and he brings the best out of Alonso when he plays along side him
      Kernow-Kop
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 80 posts |
      Reply #7: Feb 01, 2007 10:00:25 pm
      sparky, can you put us out of our misery, and explain what the madrid and chelsea thing is about
      Oh and i think gerrard should stay central, as he's back to his best in there, or like its been mentioned, behind the forwards
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #8: Feb 01, 2007 10:29:22 pm
      Stevie G should stay central,he plays his best football here as he can dominate the midfield with his range of passing.Also don't Everton normal play with one up front(lone striker) and normally pack the midfield with five players?
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Feb 01, 2007 10:49:31 pm
      Best roll for gerrard:-

Macbeth or King Lear or he would make a great Henry V, yeah defo Henry V. Instead of riding through France shouting remember Agincourt you barstards, he could ride through Milan shouting remember Istanbul you barstards.

But seriously surely his best role is the one he likes the best, which is roaming central seeing a lot of the ball waiting to run onto shots etc etc, but having said that I think his total performances this season have been lacklustre, for me he has looked tired and irratable a lot this season, it might be in Rafas interest to rest him after the match against the Bluenoses I think we should be able to turn over the jordies without him, then have him fresh to face Rikards boys.
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #10: Feb 01, 2007 10:59:28 pm
      Sausage?! swiss?! bacon?!

I personally think he is best in the middle, with a bit of a free reign to wander. having said that, I also think you could put him in nets & he would still be an inspiration to his team mates & the fans alike!
      « Last Edit: Feb 01, 2007 11:01:40 pm by banksiemagic »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #11: Feb 01, 2007 11:17:45 pm

Without doubt, it's got to be a BLT with a touch of red sauce!

Obviously he's got to be in the heart of the midfileld. He's the heartbeat of the team there and it brings out the best of the other players around him. Got to have Gerrard in the engine room!!!!!!!!!
      sparky
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #12: Feb 02, 2007 01:27:40 am
      well kernow forgotten about the chelsea saga have you told the board he wanted to go people burning his shirt that wasnt the only time he spat his dummy out poor old stevie g 100 grand a week didnt feel loved well sorry take your tinted glasses off and save your praise for a certian player called carra new gets the praise he deserves 100 percent red through and through and saved are arse nore times than gerrard oh by the way how many games do go to you muppet so hes just started to come into form bit late isnt it the seasons nearly over now  what happend at the start made to look a mug against arsenal so dont forget thers more than one player at the club only the rest dont miss there mum
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #13: Feb 02, 2007 07:18:38 am
      well kernow forgotten about the chelsea saga have you told the board he wanted to go people burning his shirt that wasnt the only time he spat his dummy out poor old stevie g 100 grand a week didnt feel loved well sorry take your tinted glasses off and save your praise for a certian player called carra new gets the praise he deserves 100 percent red through and through and saved are arse nore times than gerrard oh by the way how many games do go to you muppet so hes just started to come into form bit late isnt it the seasons nearly over now  what happend at the start made to look a mug against arsenal so dont forget thers more than one player at the club only the rest dont miss there mum

WTF !!  whats Real Madrid got to do with it in you original post ??
      This topic is about where's best to play Gerrard, not slag him off. Carragher gets his due praise in most topic's so don't play one off against the other.
      I'm proud to have both as Liverpool player's.
      Oh and by the way - on the how many games do you go to bit - 18 years a season ticket holder and supported them all over Europe.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #14: Feb 02, 2007 07:33:03 am
      WOW, i think sparky does not like Gerrard, yes Carra is a great player and he does great great praise from people who know there football, and gets well paid for doing his job, but (theres always a but), what i asked what is the best roll for Gerrard.
      Last season he played a lot on the right wing, but this season we have got a right winger who is coming along and getting better.
      soon we will have 3 holding midfield players, who are very good.
      I still say put Gerrard just behind the 2 front men, but give him the freedon to roam around the field, and i think he would be disciplined enough to do a great job there, with his driving force and passion for LFC.
      The midfield would be stronger, and it would help the front men knowing Gerrard was just behind them, with great passes and who can score some great goals as-well.

These are just my thoughts, what are yours.
      You all have a great day
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #15: Feb 02, 2007 09:07:08 am
      WOW, I think sparky does not like Gerrard, yes Carra is a great player and he does great great praise from people who know there football, and gets well paid for doing his job, but (theres always a but), what I asked what is the best roll for Gerrard.
      Last season he played a lot on the right wing, but this season we have got a right winger who is coming along and getting better.
      soon we will have 3 holding midfield players, who are very good.
      I still say put Gerrard just behind the 2 front men, but give him the freedon to roam around the field, and I think he would be disciplined enough to do a great job there, with his driving force and passion for LFC.
      The midfield would be stronger, and it would help the front men knowing Gerrard was just behind them, with great passes and who can score some great goals as-well.

These are just my thoughts, what are yours.
      You all have a great day

Totally agree! and i will have a great day ta very much!
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #16: Feb 02, 2007 09:25:11 am

Punctuation is your friend, not your enemy so please use it so we can understand what you are trying to say!

And on the subject of Stevie G I feel he should stay in the middle as our good run has coinsided with his return there as already said. And with Pennant on the right coming into form as a traditional winger, he is what we need to supply the crosses for the front men. Although I do feel Stevie has been lacklustre at times this season on the wing and in the centre of the park and he is due a rest!!!
      Cy
      Reply #17: Feb 02, 2007 01:08:26 pm

And you are calling yourself a fan?!..slagging off Stevie is completely out of order, he is our captain and prove his loyalty more times then you have brain cells..

Carra got his praises very often in this forum. Gerrard is one of the best middlefield player in the world, his commitments to Liverpool cannot been put in doubt. Tell me, how many player after the World Cup had a brilliant start of the season? not a lot. Stevie is delivering big time and I wouldn't imagine to call the season close to the end with still 14 or 15 games to play + any champions league games on the top.

As to come back to the topic, I think playing Stevie in the middle in a 4 3 1 2 is a good option. Although I'm convinced that Stevie would do the job is ask to him to do whenever he is on the pitch.
      RedWilly

• 9,198 posts | 1641 
      Reply #18: Feb 02, 2007 05:01:33 pm
      From the way your talking im begining to believe your the one who burnt his shirt! And Carra always gets praise so just think about what your going to write before you write it!
      Kernow-Kop
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 80 posts |
      Reply #19: Feb 02, 2007 05:20:43 pm
      Sparky. i aint forgot about the chelsea saga, but in the end, his heart was stronger than his brain, and showed his commitment ever since. everyone thinks the grass maybe greener on the other side, but he chose passion over greed.
      and as for carra, gets plenty of praise from me, plus others on this site,if not more than gerrard.
      and what i was trying to say about gerrards roll being better at central, was that his performance's have been more inspirational for the team since he's moved back in from the wing. he may not be at his best, but he's still a big inspiration to the squad. F.A cup final- need i say more.
      plus it wasnt just me that didnt understand your post, so next time, bite some one elses ankle !
      chilledoutentertainer
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Re: Best role for gerrard
      Reply #20: Feb 02, 2007 08:40:10 pm
      Last season we were best when Gerrard was on the right.  There were various reasons for this:-

1) Gerrard was by far the best option we had on the right.
      2) It gave the team better balance as we were still very strong centrally.
      3) When Gerrard played in the centre we conceeded more goals.  I don't think he showed the same hunger for the defensive side of the game as he did in attack, hence leaving us exposed at times.

This season it has been slightly different in the sense I think Gerrard has shown far more discipline.  He has protected the back four well, along with Alonso and has chosen at the right times when to go forward and most importantly he has got back into position.

Momo is a beast of a player and he does give the side so much when he plays, but then again Gerrrad's best position is in the centre.  It is certainly a headache for Rafa and I think we'll see Gerrard being used in both positions.  However aginst the top teams he'll be most likely seen on the right.

To be honest Rafa wants the middle pair to protect the back four.  He doesn't want them driving into the box constantly as he feels it will leave the team exposed.  It is the wide players who are meant to penetrate teams and support the attackers more.  This is why maybe it is best that Gerrard is used on the right.  He'll have Xabi and Momo covering his forward runs and it will give him the license to bomb forward and hurt teams in the final third, which is what we need. 

When he is on the right it is not a rigid role.  He has freedom to roam at times and get forward far more.  It is merely a starting position and a defending position.  In attack he can express himself and that's what we want to see.

I'm not too bothered really as it is a tough choice.  But it is nice to have the options or as Rafa would say "possibilities".
      marko
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #21: Feb 02, 2007 09:28:06 pm
      he is top class wherever he plays but i like to see him in the middle alongside alonso, who has been outstanding in the past couple of games. but its horses for courses with rafa and who am i to argue! ;)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #22: Feb 02, 2007 10:38:32 pm
      3, 4, 2, As long as the wide players can do a bit of defensive covering you can then throw Stevie in to roam, He can make tackles from box to box and his passing ability will open up any defence. Not to mention his shooting ability.

Quick Reply