Read 1208 times
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Stevie comments on Ancelotti appointment
      Jun 02, 2009 08:01:32 pm
      Excerpts from an interview given by Stevie to the BBC today i think.

Gerrard expects Chelsea challenge
      Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard believes Chelsea's appointment of Carlo Ancelotti could provide a stumbling block to the Reds' title dreams.

Liverpool provided the biggest threat to Manchester United's latest defence of their Premier League crown.

But with Ancelotti installed as Chelsea's new manager, Gerrard expects a renewed challenge from the Blues.

"I think it's a good appointment for Chelsea, I'm not so sure its good one for Liverpool though," said Gerrard.

"We will have to wait and see. He is a fantastic manager, one of the best in the world.

"They are both fantastic managers and it will make the Premiership even more exciting."

"We played two Champions League finals against him when he was at AC Milan.

"We won one on a fantastic night in Istanbul but the second time around they beat us and he was spot on tactically in the second game."

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez and United boss Alex Ferguson have created a fierce rivalry, which again went Ferguson's way as the champions held off Liverpool's bid to win the league title for the first time in 19 years, leaving them in second place, three points clear of Chelsea.

And Gerrard expects Ancelotti to provide another worthy opponent for Benitez after the Italian signed a three-year deal to replace temporary manager Guus Hiddink at Stamford Bridge.

"They are both fantastic managers and it will make the Premier League even more exciting," Gerrard added.

"These managers love going head to head against each other to test each other, so I am sure Rafa and Ancelotti are looking forward to testing themselves again."

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8079812.stm#id8070000/8078800
      « Last Edit: Jun 03, 2009 01:43:11 am by Reslivo »
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Re: Stevie comments on Ancelotti appointment
      Reply #1: Jun 02, 2009 08:15:25 pm
      Usually it takes some time to adjust, hopefully by then they will be out of the picture.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,852 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #2: Jun 02, 2009 08:21:41 pm
      Ancelloti won't know what's hit him next season ! coming from serie 'a ' to premiership footie ,the difference in pace and style is a big thing to overcome , whilst he's overcoming that chavski will be dropping points imo
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Jun 02, 2009 09:06:51 pm
      "We played two Champions League finals against him when he was at AC Milan.

"We won one on a fantastic night in Istanbul but the second time around they beat us and he was spot on tactically in the second game."

True Steven but at the same time AC Milan is a completely team to Chelsea. That was also 4 and 2 years ago.

We are now much stronger.
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 02, 2009 09:43:06 pm
      It will take time to get use to the English premier league and we will be well clear of them in the league by that time. Plus he still has to find a couple of really good players that can play fit into our league.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #5: Jun 03, 2009 07:57:29 am
      Personally I dont rate this manager that highly. Yes I've gonna admit he's done well at the Serie A but just too mediocre. I think the Milan squad have a stronger one as compared to Inter's, and there are also in a real good position to challenge for the title but they just cant get it right enough. Serie A is slow football, anyone looks good in it and I'm sure even mediocre mid table EPL teams can have a good fight with them anyday.

Maybe this guy is gonna get a culture shock working at Chelsea, and also a football shock. He's been in Italy far too long and its not gonna work out for him. I personally feel hes also gonna be tactically poor, due to the fact that he only uses tactics suited for Italy.

What happened to beautiful football Roman? ;D

Think this manager will not last a season..
      YorkshireRed
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #6: Jun 03, 2009 08:28:01 am
      Good luck to the fella. I dont like him personally, and I dont think there is much
      chance of him doing a 'Rafa' in his first season, even if he does make it to the end.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #7: Jun 03, 2009 08:33:55 am
      I must admit im quaking in my boots. :f_tongueincheek:
      tizmawpux
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Reply #8: Jun 03, 2009 08:49:57 am
      big players have come to the premiership  big managers also, fear not lads some cut it most dont
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #9: Jun 03, 2009 09:21:05 am
      I hope he goes to Stamford Bridge, teach Chelsea to play slow football like the Italian league. Abramovich is obsessed with the Champions League.

Not every great manager will do well in the most competitive league.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #10: Jun 03, 2009 09:51:51 am
      I hope he goes to Stamford Bridge, teach Chelsea to play slow football like the Italian league. Abramovich is obsessed with the Champions League.

Not every great manager will do well in the most competitive league.

Not sure if he's great, I'ld say he's more successful than anything else.  But valid point, if he turns Chelsea into a Italian league like club, their gonna play boring and perhaps be defensively formidable and counter. We'll take that any day, as no way they can stop the Gerrard-Torres attack.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #11: Jun 03, 2009 10:53:43 am
      I wonder if Stevie was on the larger again,just like the time he said he wanted Manchester to win the CL.

All  :f_tongueincheek: I say.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #12: Jun 03, 2009 11:29:11 am
      I think Stevie just wants to scare Rafa into signing world class players.
      kdz
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #13: Jun 03, 2009 11:45:59 am
      I wonder if he will tell drogba and co to stay on thier feet or  teach the rest of the team (only a couple of non divers) how to do it italian style
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #14: Jun 03, 2009 11:50:06 am
      I hope those who in Anfield will put on the Istanbul banner whenever Ancelotti in town to remind him of what he will be facing. In 2005, he lost to a weaker Liverpool side with no Torres. 2007, he won eventhough his team were bombarded heavily by a weaker Liverpool team compared to now with no Torres also. 2009/10, he will face an even stronger Liverpool team compared to last season with Torres ready to pounce on every chances given. So the questions in Mr. Ancelotti, will you be ready to face the dominant Liverpool side?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #15: Jun 04, 2009 01:02:58 am
      I just hope he doesn't bend over and say c'mon Fergie you can bang me up the arse like the rest of the managers in the league, apart from Rafa.
      BlueDuffleCoat
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts | -4 
      Reply #16: Jun 04, 2009 12:20:15 pm
      Ancelloti won't know what's hit him next season ! coming from serie 'a ' to premiership footie ,the difference in pace and style is a big thing to overcome , whilst he's overcoming that chavski will be dropping points imo

Mourinho didn't seem to have a problem adjusting.

Quick Reply