Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Stevie talks about upcoming transfers

Read 1524 times
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Stevie talks about upcoming transfers
      Jun 03, 2009 10:35:49 am
      Gerrard eyes signings like Torres

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is eager for the club to sign players of "Fernando Torres' level" in order to win the Premier League title.

The 29-year-old believes that although Liverpool made progress last season in finishing runners up to Manchester United summer recruits are needed.

"We've finished the season without a trophy, which hurts," said Gerrard.

"How do we go to the next step? Get more players of Torres' level. He is a massive player for us."

The 25-year-old Spanish striker scored his 50th goal for the Reds on the final day of the league season and signed an improved contract with the Anfield outfit in May.

Torres also has 58 caps for his country and played a starring role when Spain won Euro 2008.

Gerrard, who believes Chelsea will be stronger next season after appointing Carlo Ancelotti as boss, insisted the title could head to Anfield for the first time since 1990 if manager Rafael Benitez is able to bring in the targets he wants.

"We are getting really close to becoming champions. Our next two or three signings as far as we are concerned are crucial to push on and try and go one better than this year," he stated.

"If we can keep Torres fit and add a little bit more quality to our squad we can become champions.

"Manchester United won the league because they had that spark coming off the bench, that little bit more strength in depth."

Gerrard also backed his former Liverpool team-mate Michael Owen to rediscover his form and force his way back into the England squad.

Owen was part of the Newcastle squad relegated to the Championship in a disastrous season on Tyneside.

The 29-year-old scored 10 goals in 32 games for the Magpies throughout the campaign but did not hit the net in his final 12 games as Newcastle slumped.

Gerrard welcomes Ancelotti challenge

The striker is expected to move from St James' Park this summer and Gerrard believes his friend will come good again.

"I'm a big fan of Michael Owen, a good friend of his. I'd love to see him get a move from Newcastle to a big club and get his England career back on track," added Gerrard.

"I do believe he can play for England again. He has suffered a lot with injuries for the past couple of years but I believe a fit Michael Owen has got the ability to be involved in the squad.

"I'm sure he will be desperate to get back playing football again, staying fit and scoring goals. That is what he loves doing."
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Stevie talks about upcoming transfers
      Reply #1: Jun 03, 2009 10:41:24 am
      I always think when players say things like this, they must have some ideas in their head.

I would love to know what players Gerrard would like to bring to Anfield.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #2: Jun 03, 2009 10:49:32 am
      No John Terry and Gary Neville, in his wish list that much I'm sure.

Doesn't seem like it's any english player though, realistically these players are hard to find in England.
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 03, 2009 02:33:54 pm
      Does it mean that he wants Owen in Liverpool?
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #4: Jun 03, 2009 02:38:16 pm
      Probably Gerrard has got some players he would like to see in the squad, and as captain and as a senior member of the team, I'm pretty sure he will be consulted by Rafa on his who to buy this summer, and Jamie Carra likewise.

It is the most crucial pre season we had in years, not only must we make sure we're 100% fit and raring to go for the new season, also mentally fresh. We need to make the right signings cause I have to say most of the money we spent on last season were flops (Keane and Dossena) and must a couple of good but mediocre additions (Diego and Riera).

Yes like I said, most crucial pre season to make sure we've got that extra step and leap ahead of the mancs, cause I'm sure no one here will want to play catch up by the end of next season.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #5: Jun 04, 2009 10:51:41 am
      Should give him a transfer budget to work with, so that he will make sure his signings don't fail us.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #6: Jun 04, 2009 10:56:25 am
      Should give him a transfer budget to work with, so that he will make sure his signings don't fail us.

Huh?

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #7: Jun 04, 2009 11:24:53 am
      Doesn't seem like it's any english player though, realistically these players are hard to find in England.

Half right, half wrong.

Most of the world best players are indeed not English.

But most of them ARE playing in England already.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #8: Jun 04, 2009 12:04:43 pm

After 5 years,, did you think Rafa got his players for free?
      Scouse pie
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 10 
      Reply #9: Jun 04, 2009 12:18:13 pm
      Does it mean that he wants Owen in Liverpool?

Yeah, he did something like that  in The Times newspaper yesterday. Not suprising considering the friendhsip they have as well as their telepathic relationship on the pitch which was developed in the Liverpool Academy all those years ago.

Quick Reply