Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Liverpool 08/09 Statistics and Analysis

Read 1957 times
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Liverpool 08/09 Statistics and Analysis
      Jun 11, 2009 05:12:21 pm
      To have a good understanding of Liverpool's tactical formations and how they have made an impact, I have decided to do a comparsion over the course of the season. With research this is my compliation.

We used different tactical formations and lineups, and out of 38 games, we have used 16 (4-4-2) formations, 15 (4-2-3-1) formations, 4 (4-1-4-1) formations, 1 (4-1-4-1), 1( 3-4-2-1), and 1( 4-5-1) formation. Comparing the 2 most frequently used formations of 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1.

The 4-4-2 formation resulted in 10 wins and 6 draws, and 4-2-3-1 formation resulting in 10 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss (against Boro). Gained 36 points from 4-4-2, and 34 points from 4-2-3-1. It is also interesting to note that we did not start to use the 4-2-3-1 formation until 6 December 2008, in the game we beat Blackburn 3-1. It is also fair that due to the injuries to key players like Torres and Gerrard, the 4-2-3-1 formation was not put in place until that time. Another factor was that Keane was used in the earlier half of the season, and this resulted in him taking a extra striking role at the top. Thus, it is also safe to assume that the 4-4-2 formation and the 4-2-3-1 formation produces the same standard of results.

Out of our 77 goals scored in the EPL, 44 have come from the forwards, 23 from midfielders and 10 from defenders. However, out of those 10 goals scored by defenders, 4 were own goals, which leaves Aurelio with 2, Arby, Hyypia, Doss and Agger having a goal apiece. Out of all 77 goals, 40% game from 46-80min and 32% from 16-45 min, and 27% in the last 15 minutes. We also have the highest average of goals among the EPL clubs, at roughly 2.03 goals per game.

We have concede 27 goals this season, and amazingly 7 of them came from defenders, which makes up roughly 30% of all the goals conceded. This may point to a fact that we have been conceding from free kicks, corners, basically set pieces and this need some working on. Opposition midfielders only account for 4 goals, which shows that we have the ability to dominate the middle of the park. We concede 0.71 goals per game.

Discipline wise, we have racked up 50 yellow cards but 0 red cards. Arbeloa is top on 8, Masch on 6 and Alonso and Gerrard on 5 apiece.

In a brief summary of 07/08 season, we only had an average of about 1.76 goals per game. With 70% of them coming from the forwards. With relation to this season, we have definitely reduced our dependance on forwards for us to do the job in front of goal. Torres had 24 goals last season, Gerrard 11 and the 3rd was Crouch with a dismal 5. However, Kuyt, Gerrard, Benayoun and Torres have come together this season to take up the goalscoring burden which is a good sign for the future. In that season, barring 2 games we used the 4-2-3-1 formation and 4-4-2 formation. It was only towards the end did Rafa discover the 4-2-3-1 formation and used it to great effect. Out of these 12 games, 10 of them were wins while 2 were draws. Maybe it is true to claim that without Torres in the 4-2-3-1 formation we have used this season, results have taken a dip.

Still the 08/09 season was one of the greatest we had, but as compared to the 07/08 season, there wasn't that much change in terms of statistics. This just proves that we have the ability to do it, and have been consistently improving gradually. In 06/07 season we finished with 68 points, in 07/08 season we had 76 points, now we finish on 86 points.

So the question is, what is next for us? At the rate we are moving on, the title is in sight.. :)
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Re: Liverpool 08/09 Statistics and Analysis
      Reply #1: Jun 12, 2009 02:50:40 pm
      I'm gonna bump this up a lil. Took the effort and no one's looking at it.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Liverpool 08/09 Statistics and Analysis
      Reply #2: Jun 12, 2009 03:58:14 pm
      I think it's great that goals are being scored from every position, and I don't think it's luck, it's the fact that the team as a whole are much more confident in their abilities.

The formation statistics have intrigued me too - people have been saying we've been using 4-2-3-1 all season, but of course many forget that we started Keane with Torres on many an occasion.

I'm of the firm belief that if we stick to 4-2-3-1, which is a deceptively attacking formation then we'll walk the league.

Quick Reply