Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Benefits of selling Masch & Xabi?

Read 16141 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Benefits of selling Masch + Xabi?
      Reply #23: Jun 19, 2009 09:14:27 pm
      Too many if's for me.

If they both weren't happy at the club, if we were to receive such huge offers for them, and if the new signings were to fit in seamlessly, then yes, I'd sell. ;)

But in reality none of these things are guaranteed to happen. I'd only sell the best players we have if we had no other choice, otherwise we risk to take a step backward in terms of the replacement and lose the progression we've been making.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #24: Jun 19, 2009 09:46:01 pm
      With the recent press reports regarding Xabi and Masch moving to Spain I'm starting to wonder could it be beneficial to Liverpool. 50 million for Xabi and 40 million plus Toure for Xabi gives 90 million to play with plus the reported 20-25 million we already have. That's over 100 million to use to reinforce the team!!

Johnson for 18 million looks like its happening. Say then we go for Silva 25 million Villa 40 million. Sneidjer 15 million. Micah Richards for around 6 millionplus Toure as pert of the masch deal. We lose 2 quality players but gain 6!!

Is that not beneficial to us? Villa taking Stevies roil with Stevie dropping back to midfield. Silva on the left with Sneidjer competing with Kuyt on the right or he can play centre mid. If we were given the money made from selling the 2 lads we could create quite a side
      I know what youre trying to say Bri but i cant see any benefits of selling them at the moment. It would mean having to make a whole new midfield before the new season, would new signings hit it off? would we even get the money off the transfers or a small part of it? i dont know mate, but all i see is trouble and we cant afford to let anyone get away from us at the start of the season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #25: Jun 19, 2009 10:14:47 pm
      Aloncherano. That's all we need. ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #26: Jun 19, 2009 10:25:48 pm
      This is a great topic, gets you thinking. However, i agree in that i think the amount of money you say for them would be asking for a minor miracle. But, i do think if Ronaldo went for 80million, then honestly we are well within our rights to request that amount for them if they were to leave. As long as the player understands that we want to be duly compensated and wont make noise like Gallas did at Chelsea and threaten to score an own goal if he isnt sold or something. I know some clubs would say we are crazy, they arent worth that much and so on. But to us, they are. And with the Ronaldo deal like i said before, that has opened the market up to clubs to potentially make it quite hard to buy a desired player. And if we were to think about selling these two players, i think we should take advantage of that. Because no doubt other teams will, and are.
      Saying all that (did not plan to ramble that much but oh well :P), i do not want to see either go. I cant see us being as competitive if we sell both and replace them. Its taken so long to come to where we are, please dont let us let it start to unravel before we use it to our own advantage..
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #27: Jun 19, 2009 10:28:11 pm
      The only "benefit" is money
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #28: Jun 19, 2009 10:35:15 pm
      It's not a good thought to think both or one may leave. What effect it has on the team in the title race, who knows, one thing for sure it won't help us.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 895 
      Reply #29: Jun 19, 2009 11:26:53 pm
      If we sell xabi now, and buy new players with the money we get for him. then we have to change the way we play and that means we have to wait few more years to seriously challenge for the top spot in league. btw id rather sell masch then xabi.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #30: Jun 20, 2009 01:27:06 am
      i rather see no one come in than lose our main players
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #31: Jun 20, 2009 03:44:34 am
      If we sell them now, chances of winning the league will drop drastically.
      2009/2010 will be the 4th year that Mascherano,Xabi Alonso and Steven Gerrard have played together and I'm sure they already know each others game well. Add together Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres and Xabi Alonso and the wide men.

Team chemistry is on high at the moment and is one of the keys to the Premier League title. Selling them would disrupt it and we have to start from scratch again. In this case, there are no benefits selling them at the moment.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #32: Jun 20, 2009 09:04:49 am
      Well there are benefits on selling Masch and Xabi, but it really depends on how you look at it. I know selling both of them could get us a good sum of money, but that will make us have to start all over again, fit 2 new holding midfielders and you certainly cannot expect them to gel together immediately. I for one think that if we were to sell we should only sell one of them, and make sure its for a good sum of money that we can properly invest in that area. Selling 2 would be as good as having your whole centre midfield revamped, certainly I wouldn't like it because it would disrupt the fluidity that is already in our playing style...

I reckon we could get a good sum out of both of them.. but I would only sell 1 and that is probably Masch. The amount Barca is offering us is a lot and we have got to be realistic... If the player has no desire to play for us any more then why keep him here? 35 million is a lot, even 20 million with another potential young superstar in Krkic.. I know Real are having a mass summer exodus this time round, and players like Sneijder etc are set to leave. Its a mass clearout so potentially they wouldnt cost much, and there will be some excess money to do a couple of deals elsewhere..

Not bad considering we can get another new midfielder to cover our loss, as well as a striker who looks like a potential superstar.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #33: Jun 20, 2009 12:05:04 pm
      We cannot sell first, then make moves for other players. Our targets' valuation will shoot through the roof. We all know someone has £80 million in his pockets. We will know what to do to our players if we were the sellers.

Strategies aside, I don't think I want to trade our proven players for something unknown. I am referring to the "Ballack and Deco effect", which sounds good on paper but not overly impressive. No way.
      TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      Reply #34: Jun 20, 2009 01:04:18 pm
      apprently according to the mail, barca will offer £35million deal, £20million cash and Bojan

still not worth it when we already got the likes of kuyt, babel, pacheco, nemeth, ngog, eccleston, della valle as strikers anyway
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #35: Jun 20, 2009 01:35:26 pm
      apprently according to the mail, barca will offer £35million deal, £20million cash and Bojan

still not worth it when we already got the likes of kuyt, babel, pacheco, nemeth, ngog, eccleston, della valle as strikers anyway

Don't believe that, there is no-way they will sell Bojan. Tha lad was born in Catalunya and is regarded highly by Barca.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #36: Jun 20, 2009 01:37:06 pm
      Don't believe that, there is no-way they will sell Bojan. Tha lad was born in Catalunya and is regarded highly by Barca.

They already offered him to Valencia in the deal that would of took Villa to Barca.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #37: Jun 20, 2009 01:38:15 pm
      They already offered him to Valencia in the deal that would of took Villa to Barca.

Sauce!
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #38: Jun 20, 2009 01:40:52 pm
      We don't need Bojan ...if they want to offer us a player it should be Yaya Toure or Sergi Busquets .
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #39: Jun 20, 2009 01:45:26 pm
      I wouldn't mind swapping Xavi for Mascherano :D or even Lionel Messi. That'd never happen, ;D. It's like someone wanting to trade Steven Gerrard.
      96RedAngels
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #40: Jun 20, 2009 01:51:01 pm
      To be honest with the opening post Brian, I can't even in me wildest dreams seeing Xabi go for 50m and Masch 40m. Half of each would be more realistic.

We as fans may value them as highly as that, but in realistic terms it's a bit over the top. Like I say, probably more to be about half of it so that gives us 45 million to play with.

Id have to agree. Though the deal being touted by the mail is interesting. £20 million ish plus Bojan Krkic. Now he's pretty good and still young so there's something to consider. Think about it, spend the 20 mil on another DM and we have effectively sold Masch and got another DM and a young striker out of it. Good business I think.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #41: Jun 20, 2009 04:43:28 pm
      I wouldnt want sell any of our spine playes. It is perfect now. And fit in we in EPL.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #42: Jun 20, 2009 05:05:51 pm
      We don't need Bojan ...if they want to offer us a player it should be Yaya Toure or Sergi Busquets .
      WWhat we need is Alonso & Mascherano, if its true i cant understand Alonso, you know coz Rafas said he wants to keep him so ill be very surprised and well pissed off at him if he does this when we've got so close to the title.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #43: Jun 20, 2009 05:09:48 pm
      You mean there are some?
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #44: Jun 20, 2009 05:15:24 pm
      There are no benefits xabi and masch are key to Liverpoool and no matter what the price you can't sell them
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #45: Jun 20, 2009 05:28:32 pm
      I would sell Mascherano 30 million plus Eto'o.But Xabi NO.

Quick Reply