Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Glen Johnson (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 361923 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Glen Johnson Player Thread
      Reply #2484: Mar 05, 2014 08:58:43 am
      I have to admit I've not been to impressed with Glen all season long, ok his injuries haven't helped but he still hasn't been as steady,
      I think Flanno will push him for the RB position once Enrique returns that's if he's still here next season, we'll also have Andre Wisdom back from the sheepshaggers , so Glen could be surplus anyhow, he's  29 now and probably past his peak, but you can't buy experience so having him for the last ten games will be vital.

YNWA

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4415 
      Reply #2485: Mar 05, 2014 09:24:01 am
      Unless Flanno really kicks on I can't see him challenging Glen, not the way BR likes his full backs to play.
       Flanno is ok at defending but going forward still has a lot to learn.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #2486: Mar 05, 2014 09:27:42 am
      I've always been a fan of Glen Johnson
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4415 
      Reply #2487: Mar 06, 2014 07:52:22 am
      Looked the fittest and sharpest last night I have seen for a while. Obviously trying to get into the a World Cup reckoning.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #2488: Mar 06, 2014 09:29:43 am
      I thought Johnson was great last night. He constantly got up that flank and his first touch was always flawless. In terms of defending he didn't really put a foot wrong either, and I still feel that Flanagan, with his naivety, has a lot to learn until he can claim that RB position.

I personally feel that Flanagan has shown good defensive potential, but he dives into challenges a lot and is awful going forward. The lad will only get better, but once Enrique is back then it has to be him and Jonno
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2489: Mar 06, 2014 11:35:06 pm
      I was pretty relieved when it came out that Jonno had been playing through a number of injuries because he was playing so poorly so at least there was a proper reason. Looks ,much more mobile now and the 90 minutes for England last night will have helped us out in terms of getting him back to match fitness. Am surprised that Brendan has been playing Jonno at left back and I'm hopeful he will revert to his natural position for the run it. Young Flanno isn't the best going forward although he is a decent passer and will always support his winger so to hamstring Jonno on the left seems strange to me. Flanno's two best games (against the bitters and Spurs) both came at left back so it would make sense to play him there.

As for Jonno's contract, I hope the club offer him a new deal.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2490: Mar 06, 2014 11:46:33 pm
      I was pretty relieved when it came out that Jonno had been playing through a number of injuries because he was playing so poorly so at least there was a proper reason. Looks ,much more mobile now and the 90 minutes for England last night will have helped us out in terms of getting him back to match fitness. Am surprised that Brendan has been playing Jonno at left back and I'm hopeful he will revert to his natural position for the run it. Young Flanno isn't the best going forward although he is a decent passer and will always support his winger so to hamstring Jonno on the left seems strange to me. Flanno's two best games (against the bitters and Spurs) both came at left back so it would make sense to play him there.

As for Jonno's contract, I hope the club offer him a new deal.

I was hoping that it was because of the injuries why he was playing crap but then after the display he put in against Saints last week made me think that he just can't cut it. Don't rate him at all and very nervous every time he is defending and on the ball.

From my point of view we should cash in on him this summer while we still can, he hasn't done anything to deserve a new contract IMO.

As for his comments about not being trusted, broken promises or whatever by Jose and the not playing against Barca. Well didn't he get given a chance to play against Bayern Munich I think it was and he got ripped to pieces.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2491: Mar 17, 2014 11:42:54 am
      Another good game from Glen.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2492: Mar 17, 2014 01:00:48 pm

I agree, but I thought he was very lucky not to concede a penalty for his handball.

I still think it is in the balance whether he goes at the end of the season.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,717 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2493: Mar 17, 2014 06:07:49 pm
      I agree, but I thought he was very lucky not to concede a penalty for his handball.

I disagree because he was looking at the others side.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2494: Mar 17, 2014 06:13:43 pm

Another good game? I admit he had a good game but when was his previous good game? Because that IMO, was his only good performance he's put in all season!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2495: Mar 17, 2014 07:38:08 pm
      I thought he did ok but on the whole i think he has been below his standard for a while now.
      RB is one key area that needs addressing in the summer transfer window and i for one believe that an improvement on Glen is needed.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2496: Mar 17, 2014 10:47:08 pm
      I disagree because he was looking at the others side.

? Sorry mate, I don't know what you mean.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #2497: Mar 18, 2014 01:07:18 am
      ? Sorry mate, I don't know what you mean.

Think he's saying that Glen was looking away from the ball when it brushed his hand. That's the way it looked to me as well. If Clatterbung had given a penalty for that I think it would have been extremely harsh.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2498: Mar 18, 2014 01:22:42 am
      Another good game? I admit he had a good game but when was his previous good game? Because that IMO, was his only good performance he's put in all season!

Agree with this.  He had a great game but it's been a long time coming.  If what has been rumored is true and that he had indeed been carrying a serious injury for a few months before that surgery, then hopefully we will get a chance to see if he really can do better now.  When he's on his game he's one of the best fullbacks in England.  Unfortunately he's not been on his game for a few months now.

So let's give him a chance during the run in and see how much he wants that new contract.

that spin away from Rooney in the second half was a think of beauty.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2499: Mar 18, 2014 07:32:23 am
      Never a penalty in a million years. As clint said, he wasn't even looking at the ball.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #2500: Mar 18, 2014 08:02:17 am
      I'm not sure I even understand the handball rules. Loads of people still get really angry about it being 'deliberate' and how that's irrelevant. But I thought it was more discretionary and about whether the arm was in an unnatural position ie moved there in order to block the path of the football.

So if Johnson isn't even looking, it isn't a pen
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2501: Mar 18, 2014 10:16:40 am

Yes, another good game. If you remember our discussion previously on this player you will note that I thought he had a good game, hence why I said "another good game".
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2502: Mar 18, 2014 10:18:21 am
      Another good game? I admit he had a good game but when was his previous good game?
      [Along with the rest of the defence] - I thought Glen played well against Stoke (H) 1-0; Aston Villa (A) 1-0; Man U (H) 1-0 and (after coming back from injury) Fulham (H) 4-0; Spurs (A) 5-0; Hull (H) 2-0 and (after coming back from yet another injury) in the Southampton (A) 3-0 & Man U (A) 3-0 games... or in 8 of our 9 'clean sheet games' if you prefer.

I'll agree he's had a dip in form and none too consistent by his high standards but he's not been as bad as we maybe believe... if we remember back.

Glen might be sold because he's too hard to pay but failing that I have no doubt that, if or when the time comes, he doesn't merit being picked; he'll be dropped.

In the meantime he's very much a part of the Red Juggernaut.   

Did he even give thon, sick looking, turd Januzaj a sniff on Sunday?  ;D
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #2503: Mar 18, 2014 10:22:29 am
      Someone actually thinks that handball shout was legit? :D

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2504: Mar 18, 2014 10:49:12 am
      I'm not sure I even understand the handball rules. Loads of people still get really angry about it being 'deliberate' and how that's irrelevant. But I thought it was more discretionary and about whether the arm was in an unnatural position ie moved there in order to block the path of the football.

So if Johnson isn't even looking, it isn't a pen

I'm not sure the refs even understand the handball rules in all honesty. They all seem to have their own way of interpreting them. It's such a vague area though that I don't think a specific rule could be written. It would have to include: movement of the arm towards the ball, the positioning of the arm (unnatural or not), whether the player is looking at the ball etc.

To give a penalty it would have to tick all of these criteria and that'd mean penalties won't be given half as much as they currently do for handball.

About Johnson: it was good to see Johnson having a good game again, he is one of our most effective players when he is on form and I'm looking forward to seeing him get back there once again. It was only one good performance of course but a good performance none the less. That shouldn't mean he doesn't deserve any praise. Just hope he gets his head down and keeps going.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,717 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2505: Mar 18, 2014 06:53:50 pm
      Think he's saying that Glen was looking away from the ball when it brushed his hand. That's the way it looked to me as well. If Clatterbung had given a penalty for that I think it would have been extremely harsh.

Exactly, how can it be a penalty if he was looking at the player rather the ball.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2506: Mar 18, 2014 06:58:47 pm
      Could be a huge player on the run in for us. Hes due a goal or 2!

Quick Reply