Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Bmouth [Premier League] Sat 21st Sep @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of September and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W16 D3 L7

Robbie To Stay, or U.S.A. (or even Oz!) ?

Read 14464 times
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Robbie To Stay, or U.S.A. (or even Oz!) ?
      Feb 28, 2007 04:28:06 pm
      With all today’s rumours that Robbie may be off to the U.S. league does anyone think he is worth keeping on for another year? In light of the signing of Voronin surely this means Rafa has made up his mind that he would only be fifth choice at best that’s assuming he keeps Crouch, Bellamy and Kuyt.
      Robbie rightly earned the nickname God and that’s how all fans feel about him but can anyone honestly say going on footballing reasons only that he should be kept on? If he had played more we might have seen what his game is like at the moment but with Rafa rotating like an Apache helicopter Fowler has not featured in enough games to do himself justice.
      The reason for him not starting enough games is possibly down to the fact that the boss has seen enough to convince him that Robbie cant rise again to even half the player he was yes he has the odd flashes of brilliance as he did in his lay off for Stevies goal against Sheff Utd but does that warrant him staying in the squad when it looks as though we could be having a bit of a revolving door at Anfield this summer with more money to spend on players coming in, and players who aren’t quite up to it leaving the club. Fowler may be a player in the twilight of his career and I personally don’t think he should be kept on but he is a player I will always be grateful to for some wonderful memories and also goal celebrations, especially in derbies. :D
      So whatever happens, thanks for being such a fantastic servant Robbie. YNWA.
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2007 08:08:05 pm by JD »
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Re: Robbie To Stay, or U.S.A.?
      Reply #1: Feb 28, 2007 06:16:34 pm
      If there was no US money then I think Fowler may have got another season.

Now... I don't think Liverpool will need to rely on sentiment.  There may have been an attachment to it when we were winning championship after championship, but I think Rafa is ruthless enough to ship not only Kop favourites such as Fowler out, but also people he has purchased himself such as Bellamy and/or Crouch (and possibly Pennant) who (and let's remember it is nearly March) had not earned his money this season and is not good enough to play for Liverpool.

I don't think Robbie will go to the US. I am not sure it is his 'thing'. For a start gambling is illegal. ;)

He is young enough to play for another side but again I couldn't see him dropping down a division.  He obviously will get paid handsomely.

Who knows....?
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #2: Feb 28, 2007 07:52:03 pm
      With all today’s rumours that Robbie may be off to the U.S. league does anyone think he is worth keeping on for another year? In light of the signing of Voronin surely this means Rafa has made up his mind that he would only be fifth choice at best that’s assuming he keeps Crouch, Bellamy and Kuyt.
      Robbie rightly earned the nickname God and that’s how all fans feel about him but can anyone honestly say going on footballing reasons only that he should be kept on? If he had played more we might have seen what his game is like at the moment but with Rafa rotating like an Apache helicopter Fowler has not featured in enough games to do himself justice.
      The reason for him not starting enough games is possibly down to the fact that the boss has seen enough to convince him that Robbie cant rise again to even half the player he was yes he has the odd flashes of brilliance as he did in his lay off for Stevies goal against Sheff Utd but does that warrant him staying in the squad when it looks as though we could be having a bit of a revolving door at Anfield this summer with more money to spend on players coming in, and players who aren’t quite up to it leaving the club. Fowler may be a player in the twilight of his career and I personally don’t think he should be kept on but he is a player I will always be grateful to for some wonderful memories and also goal celebrations, especially in derbies. :D
      So whatever happens, thanks for being such a fantastic servant Robbie. YNWA.

Good post
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #3: Feb 28, 2007 07:55:38 pm
      Yes i would like to see Robbie play more, we have seen glimpses of what he can do but because he has not played many he has not been able to do it on a regular basis. I'm sure Rafa is doing best for the team (apart from leaving Gerrard on the bench) so In Rafa We Trust
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #4: Feb 28, 2007 08:11:12 pm
      I hope to God that all this US money doesn't lead to wholesale changes....yeah Pennant isn't up to it but I don't want to see a load of cash spent of superstars with no understanding of what Liverpool represents...thats just not our way....all the great teams of the past always had a very grounded element to them....they were local lads who made it good, they were scots, irish or welsh players who dreamt of playing for their boyhood team or they were players who realised what the club ment to others, to their teammates and fans and respected that....Jan Molby for example who became a legend and a honoury scouser. So we could get rid of Crouchy and others and buy a team of Johnny Foreigners but Robbie Fowler is an example we can learn from.....an ambassador for where this club is going and what it needs to stay true to.
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2007 03:43:41 am by lester76 »
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #5: Feb 28, 2007 09:06:31 pm
      I hope to God that all this US money doesn't lead to wholesale changes....yeah Pennant isn't up to it but I don't want to see a load of cash spent of superstars with no understanding of what Liverpool represents...thats just not our way....all the great teams of the past always had a very grounded element to them....they were local lads who made it good, they were scots, irish or welsh players who dreamt of playing for their boyhood team or they were players who realised what the club ment others, to their teammates and fans and respected that....Jan Molby for example who became a legend and a honoury scouser. So we could get rid of Crouchy and others and buy a team of Johnny Foreigners but Robbie Fowler is an example we can learn from.....an ambassador for where this club is going and what it needs to stay true to.

In an ideal world mate thats what we would all like, but how many current Scottish,Irish and Welsh players do we have or for that matter would we want?
      How many locally produced players are the academy turning out? i know we have high hopes for Adam Hammill who is a scouser but look at the young talent we are now buying in from other clubs Paul Anderson, Jack Hobbs and the like. I think any player who comes to this club should know about our history and traditions i just dont think a squad place should be wasted on Robbie to be some sort of LFC cultural advisor to any foreign players we have. The money doesnt have to influence all our transfers, i mean how much did the Arsenal side who gave us a tonking cost?
      Kernow-Kop
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 80 posts |
      Reply #6: Feb 28, 2007 09:52:25 pm
      i think if fowlers days as a player for liverpool are over, i think he will retire on a high, as he has got what he wanted most after being pushed out the door by houllier, and that was to be able to play in the red shirt again.
      i maybe wrong, but i just cant see fowler going to another club after his time is up with us. i think it would be great for the club (more so, the players - present & future signings) if they keep him on as one of the coaching staff or as last resort - mascot ;D
      Anand
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #7: Feb 28, 2007 09:54:22 pm
      i heard he may be going to dubai but i think he will stay
      tomarto
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 143 posts |
      Reply #8: Feb 28, 2007 10:12:37 pm
      hope he gets another  contract hes  a true legend i for one will be gutted if he doesnt.
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #9: Mar 01, 2007 02:33:54 am
      hope he gets another  contract hes  a true legend I for one will be gutted if he doesnt.

granted hes a legend, but i think he needs to move on. he's amazing, but maybe in the need for somethin a bit laid back, like MLS. although, there is an article on espn about his agent turning down the offer, which is a shame.
      I think if fowlers days as a player for liverpool are over, I think he will retire on a high, as he has got what he wanted most after being pushed out the door by houllier, and that was to be able to play in the red shirt again.
      I maybe wrong, but I just cant see fowler going to another club after his time is up with us. I think it would be great for the club (more so, the players - present & future signings) if they keep him on as one of the coaching staff or as last resort - mascot ;D

very good idea. he would look good in a liverbird suit. ;D
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #10: Mar 01, 2007 03:42:10 am
      As someone who loves Robbie and sees him as a legend and as a englishman living in america, I would find it very sad to see him getting a payday over here. His heart is at LFC...he's no Beckham...he is not a global icon who is a brand name throughout the world....Beckham has never truely loved any of the teams he has played for. So personally love to see  Robbie get decent playing time  and a new contract or retire in the summer when he and Stevie G lift the European Cup. On a side  note...Beckham is already having a great impact over here in LA and his move is going to do wonders to teach the yanks to look beyond their 'American'  sports and realise  their is a world out there obcessed with Football 
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #11: Mar 01, 2007 04:50:24 am
      Fowlers a better striker than crouch and Voronin put together, i cant beleive that people are saying this is the end for him just because this this new guy is coming in. Give robbie the time on the pitch and he'll bang in more goals than both of them its a F***ing joke!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #12: Mar 01, 2007 05:00:02 am
      Agree...if you play him he will score
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #13: Mar 01, 2007 09:10:22 am
      Fowler's a better striker than crouch and Voronin put together, I cant believe that people are saying this is the end for him just because this this new guy is coming in. Give Robbie the time on the pitch and he'll bang in more goals than both of them its a f***ing joke!

This isn't the end because this new guy is comming in it is just the end full stop, On his day Fowler was as good as any striker playing but that was some time ago,and as for trying to give him more match time both Man City and Leeds tried that and he ended up injured most of the time playing only 30 times for Leeds with 14 goals during 2001-2003 and playing only 80 times for City with 20 goals during 2003-2006.
      He is never going to be a striker who can give you enough games anymore and wanting to keep him because of what he used to be like and because of the affection we have for him is plain daft.
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #14: Mar 01, 2007 12:16:47 pm
      Im not going off affection, im going off goals and appearances. im sure he is more productive than crouch and bellamy in that respect - this season
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #15: Mar 01, 2007 12:38:53 pm
      I'm not going off affection, I'm going off goals and appearances. im sure he is more productive than crouch and bellamy in that respect - this season

My Gran would be more productive in front of goal than Crouch and Bellamy that is why we are linked with a host of strikers at the moment I haven't questioned Fowler's ability to find the net what iam asking is how many games can he play in due to fitness and is he worth a contract if we bring in the likes of Villa, Eto'o or whoever, and do you really think Rafa has got it so wrong by not using him so much, remember this is a player he sees day in day out in training.
      How many goals has Fowler actually got from open play and when you take away his Pens is there much difference in his goal ratio to say Crouch's?

At the end of the day the question was do you think we should keep Robbie another year in light of possible transfers in and out of the club and not why he hasnt played so much this far.
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2007 12:43:52 pm by Glenbuck »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #16: Mar 01, 2007 05:51:43 pm
      I know what you're saying Glenbuck. It's tough to admit it. But it's true. You're spot on in my opinion.
      My heart says I hope he stays but my head says he should go.
      If we really want to win the prem, we have to move on, upwards and forwards. And that means having fresh talent upfront who will come up with the goods week in, week out and be able to hack playing many games, in a much more grueling premiership these days. We all know Robbie's got pure talent. He'll never lose that. But he's not getting any younger. I love him to bits! He'll always be a legend no matter what he does now. I'm so glad he came back and scored for us again.
      But time moves on. New legends come along....

Thanks for everything Robbie! YNWA!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #17: Mar 01, 2007 07:57:07 pm
      He is a legend :D

He loves LFC and he said he just wants to be here. But as said he isn't getting younger, and if he wants to play, he's gonna have to move on soon.
      thestone14
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #18: Mar 07, 2007 08:57:47 pm
      Im a yank, and when Beckham signed with LA I was happy because I honestly think a "superstar" like Beckham will do good for the popularity of MLS, especially in the US.  However, when it comes to Fowler I really don't like the idea.  Like stated before, Beckham is more of an "icon" than anything else these days, and Fowler is just a great player.  Icon and player are slightly different in my opinion, and Id hate to see Fowler on any other team but Liverpool.  I have a feeling MLS will never be as popular as american football, as much as I'd like to see it one day.  But I'm somewhat of a pessimist so who knows...
      glebe17
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | -1 
      Reply #19: Mar 08, 2007 10:23:21 am
      I'd prefer to see him stay at Liverpool.

Even if he's not playing he'd be great with the academy kids or at Melwood.
      Messiah
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #20: Mar 08, 2007 12:44:04 pm
      Hi there

I liked the post about Robbie and whether he is upto it anymore.  I love Robbie Fowler and I think  that he just hasn't had the opportunity to show what he can do.  I know he has a bad hip and he's getting on BUT if he doesn't play regularly then how can he build his stamina and become 100% match  fit.  I'd rather Rafa gets rid of Crouch and also Bellamy is a big question mark for me.  If he does bring in lots of Foreigners we are in grave danger of the team losing a huge amount of the passion that carries it forward as it is being constantly diluted.  I think that losing Robbie and going to a new stadium is too much for us to sacrifice.  We need more scousers in the team and should be looking at the academy and bringing in our own younsters.  Robbie could play a huge part in the building of future teams and play.  i don't think any player loves Liverpool as much as Robbie - he has passion in bucket loads.  He is inspirational and Rafa should realise this and keep him in some capacity.  This is my honest feeling on the matter.  I'm a bit worried......

Anne
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #21: Mar 09, 2007 03:10:01 am
      Hi there

I liked the post about Robbie and whether he is upto it anymore.  I love Robbie Fowler and I think  that he just hasn't had the opportunity to show what he can do.  I know he has a bad hip and he's getting on BUT if he doesn't play regularly then how can he build his stamina and become 100% match  fit.  I'd rather Rafa gets rid of Crouch and also Bellamy is a big question mark for me.  If he does bring in lots of Foreigners we are in grave danger of the team losing a huge amount of the passion that carries it forward as it is being constantly diluted.  I think that losing Robbie and going to a new stadium is too much for us to sacrifice.  We need more scousers in the team and should be looking at the academy and bringing in our own younsters.  Robbie could play a huge part in the building of future teams and play.  I don't think any player loves Liverpool as much as Robbie - he has passion in bucket loads.  He is inspirational and Rafa should realise this and keep him in some capacity.  This is my honest feeling on the matter.  I'm a bit worried......

Anne

thats a very strong and passionate thought, and i agree with you. i don't think my mate stevie g has that much enthusiasm for this club. i would hate to see him go, but if he stops playing, i'm sure he'll find something to do for the club. he would clean the seats after every game, thats how dedicated he is. GO ROBBIE!!!!!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #22: Mar 09, 2007 04:15:23 am
      Do agree...keeping Robbie till we move to the new stadium would bridge the gap and carry forth the tradition of the club....but we are LFC, the greatest club in the world and are about to spend a whole load of cash to cement that. We don't have space for dead wood...play Robbie or release him...its a simple choice

Quick Reply