Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Liverpool must keep stars insists Torres

Read 6328 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Liverpool must keep stars insists Torres
      Jun 30, 2009 11:08:41 am
      http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-must-keep-stars-insists-torres-1724887.html

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres believes the club have to hang on to the likes of Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano if they are to depose Manchester United as Barclays Premier League champions.

The two midfielders are major targets for Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively but Torres is in agreement with manager Rafael Benitez that neither should be sold - despite potential offers in excess of £25m each.

Yesterday Alonso failed to pledge his full commitment to the Merseysiders while Barca president Joan Laporta again hinted they were willing to use Mascherano's international team-mate Lionel Messi to lure the Argentina captain away from Anfield.

The increasing speculation about the two is a concern for Torres, who himself signed an improved contract with the club towards the end of last season.

"I worry about losing my team-mates but if we can keep our best players and bring in some more, we'll be even stronger for next season," he said.

"The important thing is we're getting closer to the title. It's been frustrating for me because three years without a trophy for Liverpool is too long.

"The next one is coming, though - I'm sure of it. Man United have been the strongest team in Europe but they've lost an important player (Real Madrid-bound Cristiano Ronaldo), so maybe it's our time now.

"My ambition is to win trophies with Liverpool. We must win something next season.

"And then, with Spain, it's obvious that the 2010 World Cup is our big challenge. I hope 2009-10 will be a great season for me."

Torres accepts the club's lack of financial muscle means they are unlikely to be able to compete for star signings like international team-mate David Villa - valued at £40m - but he believes that will not affect their chances of winning trophies.

The Spain striker has recommended his international team-mate, plus fellow Valencia pair David Silva and Juan Mata to manager Rafael Benitez, but knows signing Villa is a distant prospect with Liverpool's transfer fund dwarfed by both Real and Barcelona's as well as Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea's.

However, regardless of finances the Spain striker is confident Liverpool can overcome United, whom they came a close second to in last season's Barclays Premier League.

"I don't know about Liverpool's financial situation but I know we don't have the same money as Manchester United or Chelsea," he told ZOO Magazine.

"We're fighting them with less money every season. That's not a problem for us - we're a strong team and we'll win trophies with money or without it.

"I know Rafa is working hard to bring in good players but I'm pretty sure David Villa will be too expensive for us.

"He is an outstanding striker and if Liverpool could sign anyone, I'd ask for him. He's been in sensational form this season.

"But, to be honest, we have Steven Gerrard playing behind the striker and he scores 20 goals a season, so we don't really need another forward. We just need to keep our best players.
      « Last Edit: Jun 30, 2009 11:29:02 am by JD, Reason: Title changed. Moved to The Kop. »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: Liverpool must keep stars insists Torres
      Reply #1: Jun 30, 2009 11:29:23 am
      Is Torres the only Spaniard at Anfield who has his head screwed on the right way around?

Possibly.
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #2: Jun 30, 2009 11:32:15 am
      Rafa and Torres the only spaniard's with passion for Liverpool at the minute the rest are too tempted by Real Madrid
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #3: Jun 30, 2009 11:33:39 am
      Rafa and Torres the only spaniard's with passion for Liverpool at the minute the rest are too tempted by Real Madrid
      Pepe Reina might disagree.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Jun 30, 2009 11:35:03 am
      Is Torres the only Spaniard at Anfield who has his head screwed on the right way around?

Possibly.

I would say Reina also they both seem to have a lot of affection for the club and the fans
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Jun 30, 2009 11:40:02 am
      I would say Reina also they both seem to have a lot of affection for the club and the fans

Although it is arguable whether Pepe has got a few screws loose.  ;)
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #6: Jun 30, 2009 11:40:21 am
      Sorry I forgot about pepe reina so the only spainiard's with passion for Liverpool at the minute are Rafa,Torres and pepe reina
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #7: Jun 30, 2009 11:49:44 am
      guess those 3 only know the grass ain't greener on the other side.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #8: Jun 30, 2009 11:53:34 am
      What's wrong with them all FFS?  :f_steam:

We're one of the strongest teams in Europe since Rafa took charge. The gaffer has a plan, he is creating a fantastic team that is starting to challenge seriously on the domestic level. They (the players) have the extreme chance to be playing for such a prestigious club as ours, are they so blind that they can't see the progress we're making and the probability of top silverware on the horizon?

I'm F***ing sick to death of defending them. Torres has shown the example - if you're happy where you are, come out and say it, the fans will adore and revere you. If you aren't happy then just bloody put in a transfer request. I love our Spanish lads, they've helped us progress, but if they're homesick I'll wish them all the best, as I'm sure most decent fans would.

What's really F***ing me off though is all this fawning up to the Spanish clubs!  :f_steam: We've kicked their arses in the Champion's League, we've shown that we're better organised and have better spirit.

If they think they're going to a bigger club then let them, but do it above board and with honesty. With respect for the fans.

To be honest, I have a lot more respect for Arbeloa who says he's homesick, at least he has an understandable reason. It's time for Xabi and Masch to decide where their priorities lie.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Jun 30, 2009 12:07:47 pm
      I'm starting to get F***ing excited now though. Torres sounds like a man on a mission.

I think all the lads now think United are only going to go downhill and it's our time to take their place as champions.

He's right though and I hope the lads listen to him. I think some of our players could take a leaf out of Torres' book at times.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Jun 30, 2009 12:12:48 pm
      I found this on Marca  its prety much the same as what was said the other day r.e Mata Silva & Villa

Benítez calls for Torres to 'fish' in Valencia, while Xabi Alonso's future depends on Villa is the headline

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.marca.com/&ei=GO5JSsOWCoOZjAeQuMioBA&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmarca%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #11: Jun 30, 2009 12:14:17 pm
      What's wrong with them all FFS?  :f_steam:

We're one of the strongest teams in Europe since Rafa took charge. The gaffer has a plan, he is creating a fantastic team that is starting to challenge seriously on the domestic level. They (the players) have the extreme chance to be playing for such a prestigious club as ours, are they so blind that they can't see the progress we're making and the probability of top silverware on the horizon?

I'm f**king sick to death of defending them. Torres has shown the example - if you're happy where you are, come out and say it, the fans will adore and revere you. If you aren't happy then just bloody put in a transfer request. I love our Spanish lads, they've helped us progress, but if they're homesick I'll wish them all the best, as I'm sure most decent fans would.

What's really f**king me off though is all this fawning up to the Spanish clubs!  :f_steam: We've kicked their arses in the Champion's League, we've shown that we're better organised and have better spirit.

If they think they're going to a bigger club then let them, but do it above board and with honesty. With respect for the fans.

To be honest, I have a lot more respect for Arbeloa who says he's homesick, at least he has an understandable reason. It's time for Xabi and Masch to decide where their priorities lie.

Alonso and Mascherano can leave for all I care. Liverpool will win the title with or without them. Tired of these two players acting the way they're doing right now. Couldn't care less if they stayed or left.

If they choose to leave, we will use the money to buy quality players; so they can go. It is a WIN-WIN situation for Liverpool FC. Anyone who thinks we can not do without those ungrateful two needs to go back to school and learn more about the club.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #12: Jun 30, 2009 12:16:49 pm
      I find it rather stupid Alonso would even Consider Real Madrid when all the noises coming from there are basically saying he is there second option we'll buy  you Xabi but only if we don't get Villa what sort of message is that saying to the player  ?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: Jun 30, 2009 12:17:23 pm
      Alonso and Mascherano can leave for all I care. Liverpool will win the title with or without them. Tired of these two players acting the way they're doing right now. Couldn't care less if they stayed or left.

If they choose to leave, we will use the money to buy quality players; so they can go. It is a WIN-WIN situation for Liverpool FC. Anyone who thinks we can not do without those ungrateful two needs to go back to the drawing board and learn more about the club.

Yeah maybe we could do it without them, but the fact of the matter is that they have both been here for several years now and they know what it is to play for Liverpool and the players know exactly what they are about.

To bring two new central midfielders in could mean that we need to wait longer once again for the team to gel. I'd prefer them to stay than get money for them and buy new players.

Having said that though, if that's the way it is then there isn't much you can do really is there.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #14: Jun 30, 2009 12:20:53 pm
      Torres for captain when Gerrard retires?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #15: Jun 30, 2009 12:22:55 pm
      Now, selling Alonso to fund a deal for barry was plain wrong, but if we could keep Mash and sell Alonso to raise the money for Villa, that would soften the blow. Think Benitez has his poker face on.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16: Jun 30, 2009 12:25:27 pm
      I'm starting to get f**king excited now though. Torres sounds like a man on a mission.

I think all the lads now think United are only going to go downhill and it's our time to take their place as champions.

He's right though and I hope the lads listen to him. I think some of our players could take a leaf out of Torres' book at times.

Totally agree with you there Ross as now they have both forged an understanding with each other on the pitch and it could take a couple of seasons for two new signings to replicate that, I only see letting them leave at this point after the progression we have made as a backwards step. I would love to be proved wrong if this is the road we are forced into going down. But for progression we really need to keep hold of these two
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #17: Jun 30, 2009 12:26:01 pm
      Now, selling Alonso to fund a deal for barry was plain wrong, but if we could keep Mash and sell Alonso to raise the money for Villa, that would soften the blow. Think Benitez has his poker face on.

Aye that would be superb actually.

Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Insua, Kuyt, Gerrard, Mascherano, Riera, Torres, Villa

Ooh baby.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #18: Jun 30, 2009 12:26:20 pm
      Torres for captain when Gerrard retires?

I would agree with that
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #19: Jun 30, 2009 03:20:11 pm
      Reina?
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #20: Jun 30, 2009 04:11:59 pm
      All this talk that only Reina, Benitez and Torres are commited to the club and all the other Spaniards aren't is a bit exaggerated because we have only two other first-team spaniards, in Alonso and Arbeloa. 
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #21: Jun 30, 2009 04:24:21 pm
      And Riera, who as far as I know seems happy.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #22: Jun 30, 2009 04:48:49 pm
      Torres shouldn't insist we keep our star players when the Masch/Alonso situation is so delicate. If they do leave is he going to get the hump and want out to? It only adds pressure on Rafa to keep 2 players who I personally think want out. If they are sold Rafa will do his best to replace them and hell need Carragher Gerrard and Torres to be positive and back him.

Quick Reply