Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

The Alonso & Mascherano saga 09

Read 31747 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: The Alonso & Mascherano saga 09
      Reply #23: Jun 30, 2009 02:57:39 pm
      Theres already a thread for this might be in the summer signings board

I was asking dunlop liddell shankly  as he said what basically amounted to selling Xabi I was not trying to start a new thread mucho's gracias ;D
      koptie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #24: Jun 30, 2009 03:01:10 pm
      definately he is stayn til 19 is home
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Reply #25: Jun 30, 2009 03:27:23 pm
      Discussions about Who you would replace Xabi with is in the Summer Transfer Board

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=19461.0
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #26: Jun 30, 2009 03:41:56 pm
      We all know it's too much for any one player.  But in a market where we are going to have to potentially replace Xabi then all the values are relative.

If Madrid pay £80M for one of United's best players then they can shove £20M for buying one of our best players.  I'd like to see who else they could get as good as Alonso for £20M - hence the reason they are interested in him.

Damn straight, if weasel face is worth £80M, Xabi and Masch are worth well over £100M collectively.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #27: Jun 30, 2009 03:43:41 pm
      Damn straight, if weasel face is worth £80M, Xabi and Masch are worth well over £100M collectively.

Hmm let's be realistic.

If Ronaldo's worth 80million then Xabi should be about 50/60 I reckon.
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #28: Jun 30, 2009 03:47:07 pm
      I think Rafa should start thinking of a replacement very sharpish because Xabi wants out.

He's obviously unsettled for whatever reason, So just let him go. I hate players who talk up possibilities of moving to other clubs. I'm starting to think Brian's thread " Benefits of selling Xabi + Masch" is not a bad idea, I'm sick of all this f**king talk of will he/wont he go sh*te. Great players they are but we want 100% commitment and I feel we are not getting that. Well mostly not from Xabi anyway.

Is Rafa signing someone that leaves Xabi as a bit part player? Or does he feel they are selling him to fund another deal? I cant understand what unsettles a player so much and so quickly after he's best season IMO.
      I tell ya what's unsettled him. The lack of respect that rafa has shown him the past 2 seasons when he tried twice to sign Barry. Maybe he got over the whole saga last season but when it happened again i think he's right to be pissed off. Would be sad to see him go but in his eyes he felt unwanted by us and real are openly desperate to sign him so i can understand him perfectly. Has to be a decent price though.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Reply #29: Jun 30, 2009 03:51:41 pm
      I tell ya what's unsettled him. The lack of respect that rafa has shown him the past 2 seasons when he tried twice to sign Barry.

Agree with that. The whole Barry thing hasn't helped.

Let's just take a step back a minute and remember as well that he has been with us for 5 years.  Plenty of players have come and go in that time.  He has hardly been here 5 minutes and wants to leave.

Still pisses me off though.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #30: Jun 30, 2009 03:59:42 pm
      Who the F**k do Real Madrid think they are? Offering such pathetic prices, I F***ing hate that club. We should do exactly what the mancs did with them over Ronaldo last summer, don't sell no matter how much is offered or how much he wants to go. Ronaldo didn't want to be there last season but still managed to score 20+ goals. He's our player and he is going to be crucial IMO if we want that 19th.

As for Xabi i wish he would just shut up with all these statements saying he isn't sure whats going to happen, either come out and say what you want or don't say anything. Simple as.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,111 posts | 3366 
      Reply #31: Jun 30, 2009 04:24:37 pm

Ronaldo is not worth 80 million, that is simply what United were willing to sell him for and Madrid were willing to pay.

In the same way, if we're prepared to sell Alonso for 30 million and Madrid are prepared to meet that valuation then that is what he's sold for - whether he's "worth" that or not. But ultimately the decision, as always, comes down to the player. If a bid is accepted then it's down to Xabi himself, if he wants to sign for Madrid he will.

Right now, everything is if.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #32: Jun 30, 2009 04:26:25 pm
      Maybe cos I'm new to this forum but I do feel everyone is being very pessimistic about Xabi leaving.

He's said he is happy to stay here and it's now up to the two clubs to negotiate, which to me says Rafa needs to sort out an improved/extended contract for him.  If he can't then Rafa will negotiate the best price for the Club.

Alonso is no different to the rest of us in that if you do well at work you want some recognition for it ie. a pay rise/better terms & conditions and if that's not forthcoming from your existing employer you will look elsewhere.  In a way it's good that he hasn't asked for a transfer as he is saying I want to stay just make me an offer in keeping with my worth.

Or am I being too business like??
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,306 posts | 2847 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #33: Jun 30, 2009 04:43:58 pm
      Who the f**k do Real Madrid think they are? Offering such pathetic prices,I

Ye cant blame Madrid starting off with sh*te offers. With the 2 knobs running our club they obviously though the offer would be accepted
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34: Jun 30, 2009 04:46:01 pm
      Xabi Alonso goal vs Newcastle

He never done that last season flog him he's gone sh*t ;D
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #35: Jun 30, 2009 04:50:16 pm
      People have to realise that for a Spaniard, when Real Madrid come calling it's almost impossible to turn down. They are the club in Spain, no matter what Barcelona may have achieved, Madrid are and always will be the biggest club. So it's no surprise Alonso should want to play for them, it's back home playing for the biggest side. And when you look at what Madrid are building again with the likes of Kaka and Ronaldo, any player would be over the moon to even be considered part of it.

Now Xabi has shown loyalty to this club. In the summer of 2008 he wasn't pushed out the door he was practically thrown with the door locked and key thrown away. But for whatever reason Xabi still found himself a Liverpool player for the 08/09 season and he didn't sulk and strop, he just got his head down and played the season of his life - lets not forget the opening game of the season against Sunderland where Damien Plessis was chosen ahead of him to start. That couldn't of done our number 14's confidence much good. But he stuck it out and was rightly named, on here, the player of the season.

So now he's wanting his future decided. Well again anybody would. It's better to know as early as possible where you're going to be so you can start preparing for it. Now from what Xabi has said it doesn't look like he's overly keen on another season at Anfield which would leave us with a dilemma of what to do next. But that's why it's just as important for us to get this sorted quickly so we can get in an able replacement, although I wouldn't be surprised to see us not sign a central midfielder and just give it to Lucas with Spearing and Plessis fighting out the bench spot. It's a bit like the Robbie Keane saga of January, we left it so late to flog him back to Spurs we didn't have time to sign a replacement, if we wanted to. If this prolongs it'll be another incident like that.

As for price, well I keep saying it but 30 million is too much for any one player. I mean there's people in this world who've never seen 30 quid and footballers are being sold for 30 million? Entire football clubs could be bought for the price of 30 million and keep them afloat, giving their fans the joy of knowing they still have a football club to support. At the end of the day footballers are flesh and bones like you, me and the little old girl in the corner shop, just because Xabi can put a ball on a fly's arse from 60 yards, doesn't mean he's worth 30 million. The world's greatest electrician would not be paid 30 million to do a job but he's the best in his profession. Football has gone completely up the wall and these sort of inflated prices will be the death of so many clubs. So because of the way I feel about these sort of prices, I'd snap Madrid's hand off in a shot. 30 million for a man of flesh and bones, 30 million for a man who breathes like "ordinary people", 30 million for a man who cries when he's hurt and bleeds when he's been cut just like "ordinary" people is ridiculous.

Can't say fairer than that mate.

just because Xabi can put a ball on a fly's arse from 60 yards

Quote of the year by the way. :D

Of course, we'd all love Alonso to stay and in an ideal world he would come out and pledge the rest of his career to us, but the club weren't exactly begging him to stay last season when they were flirting with Gareth Barry of all people.

At the end of the day, if he goes then I will certainly be gutted. But he does not owe the club anything and he has given us his best during his time here. If he stays however, I'll be over the moon.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #36: Jun 30, 2009 04:52:52 pm
      Seems like he has put a deadline for his transfer to Real. If the deal isn't done by 19th July, he'll stay at Liverpool.
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #37: Jun 30, 2009 05:12:52 pm
      Does anybody have Xabi's address in spain or know where he's going on Hols i think i'll have a good old fashion Oirish chat meaning i drag him down the local fill him with Guinness and whiskey and smack him about until till he agree's to Kop on (see what i've done there aren't i clever) and stay with the reds for life.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #38: Jun 30, 2009 05:19:33 pm
      Xabi Alonso urges to sort out future..

Doesnt this seem so stupid? He's contracted at Liverpool. On paper your future is here, so until that changes, he shouldnt be saying hes unsure where it lies. Because i know!! ;D
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #39: Jun 30, 2009 05:25:34 pm
      All you do is stick a price on Alonso Ans Mascherano that they won't pay.............
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #40: Jun 30, 2009 05:30:02 pm
      All you do is stick a price on Alonso Ans Mascherano that they won't pay.............

That's not what's worrying me. What worries me is that they haven't made it clear that they are committed to the team.

Is it possible for them to just play around causing some confusion to the rivals?
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #41: Jun 30, 2009 05:32:36 pm
      The thing that worries me is that if we sell him,although we will be able to bring in good players, it will take those players time to settle where as Masch and Xabi are settled in the starting XI. Sell them and we are unlikely to win the league next year- just my opinion.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #42: Jun 30, 2009 05:34:18 pm
      The thing that worries me is that if we sell him,although we will be able to bring in good players, it will take those players time to settle where as Masch and Xabi are settled in the starting XI. Sell them and we are unlikely to win the league next year- just my opinion.

I agree. If they are at Anfield next season, it'd be like the 3th year that Stevie, Masch, Xabi , Torres and others have played together and they understand each other's game well. Kinda need to start from scratch if we buy new players.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #43: Jun 30, 2009 05:45:07 pm
      People have to realise that for a Spaniard, when Real Madrid come calling it's almost impossible to turn down. They are the club in Spain, no matter what Barcelona may have achieved, Madrid are and always will be the biggest club. So it's no surprise Alonso should want to play for them, it's back home playing for the biggest side. And when you look at what Madrid are building again with the likes of Kaka and Ronaldo, any player would be over the moon to even be considered part of it.
      Now Xabi has shown loyalty to this club. In the summer of 2008 he wasn't pushed out the door he was practically thrown with the door locked and key thrown away. But for whatever reason Xabi still found himself a Liverpool player for the 08/09 season and he didn't sulk and strop, he just got his head down and played the season of his life - l. But he stuck it out and was rightly named, on here, the player of the season.

He had nothing to prove to us but he did go out and play an incredible season.

No one would begrudge him to go to Madrid with all our best wishes if that is what he wants.

Dont Forget.

When you leave Liverpool you only move downward ........no matter what team you end up playing for ... even Real Madrid.

He will keep our respect if he doesnt sod about on us.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #44: Jun 30, 2009 06:03:42 pm

He had nothing to prove to us but he did go out and play an incredible season.

No one would begrudge him to go to Madrid with all our best wishes if that is what he wants.

Dont Forget.

When you leave Liverpool you only move downward ........no matter what team you end up playing for ... even Real Madrid.

He will keep our respect if he doesnt sod about on us.

With you on that one. If he wants to go then he should just come out and say it.  He doesn't need to be asking Liverpool or Real to sort his future out, he should F***ing know what he wants and just come out with it.

Picking up on the comment about him not having anything to prove. I feel he did. He was treated abysmally in my opinion when the Gareth Barry saga started. Imagine how he felt when finding out he may be shown the door to make way for a player not fit to lace his boots. Alonso reacted in the only way he knows how.

It is a credit to the man himself, the way he handled the situation and stuck the proverbial two fingers up to his doubters. The last thing i want to see is Alonso going, but i also feel for his plight last season and the way he was treated. I have much respect for the man, not just the footballer.

As DLS stated, the man can put a ball on a fly's arse from 60 yards, how many other players in the Prem can do that? Whatever he decides, i will back him anyway, but if he goes, let us all remember the possible reason for his departure. And it ain't the possibility of playing for Real, he planned to return to Spain at the end of his career.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #45: Jun 30, 2009 06:44:54 pm
      Here's an idea, Xabi, how about you sort out your future by either committing to the best club in the world or hand in a transfer request.

F***ing sick to my back teeth about this bollocks about it being "the club's decision".

Quick Reply