Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 716614 times
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #4416: Nov 26, 2014 03:57:12 pm
      the prestige was another nolan masterpiece

Oh, the Prestige was good! Came out about the same time as The Illusionist, also great , same topic.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4417: Nov 26, 2014 04:00:18 pm
      Oh, the Prestige was good! Came out about the same time as The Illusionist, also great , same topic.

I remember watching both on the same week. As good as The Illusionist was, I thought The Prestige was much better. The suspense, the twist in the end, kinda dark movie which I really enjoyed.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #4418: Nov 26, 2014 04:28:45 pm
      I remember watching both on the same week. As good as The Illusionist was, I thought The Prestige was much better. The suspense, the twist in the end, kinda dark movie which I really enjoyed.

I bet you didnt see the Illusionists twist in the end comming ;)
      Agreed, the Prestige was better, but had they not come out in the same month, The Illusionist could have gotten a better reception
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4419: Nov 26, 2014 06:30:10 pm
      A bit disappointed with Interstellar. I expected a bit more substance, and it was very hard to hear the dialogue at times, although apparently Nolan did that on purpose, perhaps to try and disguise the dialogue.

Saw Lawless on TV the other night, and it was OK, but Tom Hardy kept making weird goat like grunting sounds.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #4420: Nov 26, 2014 10:30:26 pm
      A bit disappointed with Interstellar. I expected a bit more substance, and it was very hard to hear the dialogue at times, although apparently Nolan did that on purpose, perhaps to try and disguise the dialogue.

Saw Lawless on TV the other night, and it was OK, but Tom Hardy kept making weird goat like grunting sounds.

Agree with you on Interstellar I was also disappointed. Some great ideas in there but felt the script was overbearing both from a scientific and human perspective. Overly sentimental and perplexing at the same time. Didn't like that whole "love conquers all" message shoved down the viewers throat. Way too much crying as well only so much crying I can take in a movie. Wasn't all that impressed with the visuals either though I heard it looks a lot better in IMAX, they were very realistic mind just a bit bland. Loved the Hanz Zimmer score made the movie seem more exciting than it actually was.
      « Last Edit: Nov 26, 2014 10:44:58 pm by bazspeedman »
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #4421: Nov 26, 2014 10:43:45 pm
      Watched this the other day, was a few decent laughs in it! ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXoZCAVTzEQ
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4422: Nov 27, 2014 03:10:22 pm
      Agree with you on Interstellar I was also disappointed. Some great ideas in there but felt the script was overbearing both from a scientific and human perspective. Overly sentimental and perplexing at the same time. Didn't like that whole "love conquers all" message shoved down the viewers throat. Way too much crying as well only so much crying I can take in a movie. Wasn't all that impressed with the visuals either though I heard it looks a lot better in IMAX, they were very realistic mind just a bit bland. Loved the Hanz Zimmer score made the movie seem more exciting than it actually was.

Don't get me wrong, it was a real visual treat and the basic premise of the story was good, especially with the time dilation element.
      I found the dialogue weak though, and the story wasn't handled as well as it might have been (probably because the dialogue was weak). Add to that the soundtrack was so loud that you couldn't hear the dialogue at times, which was intentional on the part of Nolan, which in turn makes me think he knew the dialogue was weak and tried to drown bits of it out ;)
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,627 posts | 2161 
      Reply #4423: Dec 06, 2014 01:33:24 pm
      I liked A Walk among the Tombstones! The only films I don't really like are any depressing ones... Jacob's Ladder a few years ago being perhaps among the worst. I try to avoid those though .... bit like watching Liverpool on a bad day.

Jacobs Ladder was epic! I must have watched it twenty times when I was younger (was a bit of a smoker back then!)and ordered a copy on DVD a year or two ago. It is pretty depressing in places though, some scary ass demons scenes in it though, the demons in the back of the cars an all that
      Scottbot

• 9,627 posts | 2161 
      Reply #4424: Dec 06, 2014 01:35:27 pm
      Finally watched the 2nd Hobbit movie last night. I'm a complete Tolkien nut and have been my whole life but I was nearly as disappointed with this one as the first one. Not a patch on LOTR and the action/fight scenes are just stoopid. They are visually impressive but simply ridiculous, like watching a computer game.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #4425: Dec 12, 2014 10:20:56 pm
      Finally watched the 2nd Hobbit movie last night. I'm a complete Tolkien nut and have been my whole life but I was nearly as disappointed with this one as the first one. Not a patch on LOTR and the action/fight scenes are just stoopid. They are visually impressive but simply ridiculous, like watching a computer game.

The 3rd looks great from the trailers, i hope it will make up for the first 2.
      Scottbot

• 9,627 posts | 2161 
      Reply #4426: Dec 13, 2014 06:32:52 pm
      The 3rd looks great from the trailers, i hope it will make up for the first 2.

Funny thing is the 3rd film which is the battle of five armies barely gets a chapter in the book! They have managed to turn a pretty small book into three mammoth films, am sure the effects and fight scenes will be awesome but it'll be lacking in substance like the first two I reckon
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #4427: Dec 19, 2014 11:31:31 pm
      Watched Imitation Game the other week. Absolutely fantastic - probably my favourite film of the year.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #4428: Dec 19, 2014 11:53:30 pm
      Watched Imitation Game the other week. Absolutely fantastic - probably my favourite film of the year.

That one's on my list to watch.

I watched Gone girl, read the book, was really looking forward to it, but I was disappointed. It was kinda slow and boring at times.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4429: Jan 05, 2015 03:38:05 am
      Saw Exodus Gods and Kings with Christian Bale, of course, knew what was going to happen.  :D

To Canaan they went.  ;)

Worth a watch.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4430: Jan 05, 2015 08:41:16 am
      That one's on my list to watch.

I watched Gone girl, read the book, was really looking forward to it, but I was disappointed. It was kinda slow and boring at times.

I saw that one, it was like two movies in one with a very odd ending, I thought. Intriguing enough.
      Bier
      Reply #4431: Jan 05, 2015 12:36:03 pm
      I saw that one, it was like two movies in one with a very odd ending, I thought. Intriguing enough.

Yeah, it just became too implausible near the end I thought. Broke my suspension of disbelief. Expected more from David Fincher.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #4432: Jan 05, 2015 12:46:01 pm
      Watched that 'Fury' yesterday - good show: not for the squeamish and definitely not a chick-flick. 
      Bier
      Reply #4433: Jan 05, 2015 12:51:06 pm
      Watched that 'Fury' yesterday - good show: not for the squeamish and definitely not a chick-flick.

Yeah, enjoyed that one too. Although obviously not a Tarantino flick, it's very much in the vain of Inglourious Basterds I thought, especially Pitt's role. Doubt that's a coincidence either.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #4434: Jan 07, 2015 05:06:17 pm
      For any pirates in here, there was a pretty big leak today. American Sniper, Into the Woods, Imitation Game, Unbroken, Selma, Birdman and the new Hobbit all in good quality. :)
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #4435: Jan 08, 2015 10:34:39 pm
      Just finished watching Into the woods. I didn't know it was a musical. I hate musicals.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4436: Jan 09, 2015 12:05:51 am
      Just finished watching Into the woods. I didn't know it was a musical. I hate musicals.

As films, for the most part, I agree, having  for the first time, recently seen that bag o' sh*te Moulin Rouge, but I do love stage shows.  I love The Rocky Horror Picture Show though and it gets watched at least twice a year.
      « Last Edit: Jan 09, 2015 07:21:21 am by Roddenberry »
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #4437: Jan 09, 2015 04:24:00 am

Utter turd. I thought the Crowe and Jackman rendition of Les Miserables too was something that should have been viewed by the producers, torched and then never spoken of again.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4438: Jan 09, 2015 10:00:02 am
      Been meaning to post something for awhile.

I know there is a lot of hype around Marvel right now,
      but their development of Cap has been fantastic.

Genuinely, I knew very little about him prior to Captain America,
      then liked how he grew in Avengers Assemble, but Winter Soldier
      is one of my favourites out of the entire Marvel Universe right now.

Fantastic movie and a big turn around for me to go from "Meh" to
      I can't wait to see where they go next.

Quick Reply