Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

The Film Discussion Thread.

Read 715983 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Re: The Film Discussion Thread.
      Reply #4439: Jan 09, 2015 03:07:28 pm
      Marvel movies are very hit and miss. Iron Man 1, Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy are very good. Both Thor movies, Iron Man 2 & 3 and Incredible Hulk are sh*t.
      Avengers Assemble and first Captain America are enjoyable.

Hopefully they get the same crew that did Winter Soldier back for Captain America 3.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #4440: Jan 09, 2015 06:07:18 pm
      Marvel movies are very hit and miss. Iron Man 1, Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy are very good. Both Thor movies, Iron Man 2 & 3 and Incredible Hulk are sh*t.
      Avengers Assemble and first Captain America are enjoyable.

Hopefully they get the same crew that did Winter Soldier back for Captain America 3.

I really like the Thor films.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4441: Jan 09, 2015 08:05:08 pm
      Just watched True Romance again. My favourite ever film. Also bought Pump up the Volume off Amazon but it seems it has come from The States and I can't play it over here. I've tried through my Playstation and it wouldn't have it  :f_steam:
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #4442: Jan 09, 2015 08:18:02 pm
      Speaking of the MCU - I really hope they get the Spider-Man rights or a lease to use the character soon. Sony doesn't know wtf it's doing with it. Also, I can't wait for Civil War. Seeing Iron Man and Captain America fighting will be awesome to see on-screen. As seen:

Meanwhile, DC could well be releasing a movie this year. There's an image floating around that shows Batman vs Superman could be slit into two parts, with one being released later this year and another next. Would be weird for them to have shown it during a teaser and to not have announced it publicly.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #4443: Jan 11, 2015 10:13:30 pm
      Movie weekend this one for me. Watched The imitation game, really liked it, it's one powerful film on many levels. Also watched Big hero 6 which was pretty fun.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #4444: Jan 12, 2015 02:34:06 am
      Why has 'Beverly Hills Cop' dated so badly and 'Back to the future' not so much.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4445: Jan 12, 2015 09:19:19 am
      Why has 'Beverly Hills Cop' dated so badly and 'Back to the future' not so much.

Eddie Murphy dick jokes
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #4446: Jan 12, 2015 09:24:41 am

What? Those jokes are timeless!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4447: Jan 12, 2015 09:30:56 am

They're no DeLorean.
      That's timeless, or was it time traveling?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4448: Jan 12, 2015 09:51:30 am
      As I slowly work my way through films I missed, finally watched The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Rings.  I got the extended version, I wish I hadn't.  Beautiful film, the cinematography is top notch, but it's walk a bit, talk a bit, walk a bit, bit of action.  Stretched out more than a bit.  The only bits which grabbed my interest  were the opening parts with Bilbo, Ian Holm knocks it out the park as do Christopher Lee & Ian McKellan in the Gandolf/Saruman scenes, the rest was pretty much average. 6/10.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #4449: Jan 12, 2015 10:16:50 am
      As I slowly work my way through films I missed, finally watched The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Rings.  I got the extended version, I wish I hadn't.  Beautiful film, the cinematography is top notch, but it's walk a bit, talk a bit, walk a bit, bit of action.  Stretched out more than a bit.  The only bits which grabbed my interest  were the opening parts with Bilbo, Ian Holm knocks it out the park as do Christopher Lee & Ian McKellan in the Gandolf/Saruman scenes, the rest was pretty much average. 6/10.

You should have watched the original versions first mate the pacing is far better and you don't miss too much of the story. I absolutely loved the originals in cinema still up their with my best cinema experiences. But the extended versions are a long slog to watch if you haven't seen the original versions first.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #4450: Jan 14, 2015 07:06:02 pm
      American Sniper is brilliant.

Watched Horrible Bosses 2, the story takes ages to come together but was a lot funnier towards the end of the movie.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #4451: Jan 15, 2015 08:19:31 pm
      Whiplash. Bloody awesome movie!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4452: Jan 15, 2015 08:33:24 pm
      Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, if you've not seen the previous films in which the titular characters appear in, don't bother, watch the others first.  Feels a little dated and relies a lot on in-jokes, still funny though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #4453: Jan 15, 2015 10:17:31 pm
      Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, if you've not seen the previous films in which the titular characters appear in, don't bother, watch the others first.  Feels a little dated and relies a lot on in-jokes, still funny though.

It's decent Rodders but not a patch on Smith's earlier films.

Just finished watching X Men Days of Future Past and I thought it was excellent. Really like McAvoy and Fassbender as Charles and Eric and the scene with Quicksilver when they break out Eric was very well done.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4454: Jan 21, 2015 03:44:14 pm
      American Sniper.

Good film, not a war movie as such, but more of an exploration of what war does to even a strong character.
      Typically thoughtful stuff from Eastwood.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4455: Jan 22, 2015 12:35:45 pm
      'American Sniper' Is Almost Too Dumb to Criticize
      Sniper is a movie whose politics are so ludicrous and idiotic that under normal circumstances it would be beneath criticism. The only thing that forces us to take it seriously is the extraordinary fact that an almost exactly similar worldview consumed the walnut-sized mind of the president who got us into the war in question.

It's the fact that the movie is popular, and actually makes sense to so many people, that's the problem. "American Sniper has the look of a bona fide cultural phenomenon!" gushed Brandon Griggs of CNN, noting the film's record $105 million opening-week box office.

Griggs added, in a review that must make Eastwood swell with pride, that the root of the film's success is that "it's about a real person," and "it's a human story, not a political one."

Well done, Clint! You made a movie about mass-bloodshed in Iraq that critics pronounced not political! That's as Hollywood as Hollywood gets.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/american-sniper-is-almost-too-dumb-to-criticize-20150121#ixzz3PYM7vxiu
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4456: Jan 22, 2015 01:00:04 pm
      Sniper is a movie whose politics are so ludicrous and idiotic that under normal circumstances it would be beneath criticism. The only thing that forces us to take it seriously is the extraordinary fact that an almost exactly similar worldview consumed the walnut-sized mind of the president who got us into the war in question.

It's the fact that the movie is popular, and actually makes sense to so many people, that's the problem. "American Sniper has the look of a bona fide cultural phenomenon!" gushed Brandon Griggs of CNN, noting the film's record $105 million opening-week box office.

Griggs added, in a review that must make Eastwood swell with pride, that the root of the film's success is that "it's about a real person," and "it's a human story, not a political one."

Well done, Clint! You made a movie about mass-bloodshed in Iraq that critics pronounced not political! That's as Hollywood as Hollywood gets.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/american-sniper-is-almost-too-dumb-to-criticize-20150121#ixzz3PYM7vxiu

I read quite a few reviews about the film before deciding to make my own mind up about it.
      There was the American right, frothing at the mouth over a movie about a "hero".
      There was the American left, frothing at the mouth over a movie about a "villain".

I saw it very much as a movie about a man whose actions led him into a steady mental decline, despite the various assertions he made, and the justifications he tried to make, not to mention his own ego dragging him back time after time.
      The scenes where he was at home were quite powerful at times, and a little disturbing at times as well. His complete inability to deal with "normal" life back in the US, as well as his inability to properly communicate with others, even those who had also been "over there" was painful.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4457: Jan 22, 2015 01:04:36 pm
      I read quite a few reviews about the film before deciding to make my own mind up about it.
      There was the American right, frothing at the mouth over a movie about a "hero".
      There was the American left, frothing at the mouth over a movie about a "villain".

I saw it very much as a movie about a man whose actions led him into a steady mental decline, despite the various assertions he made, and the justifications he tried to make, not to mention his own ego dragging him back time after time.
      The scenes where he was at home were quite powerful at times, and a little disturbing at times as well. His complete inability to deal with "normal" life back in the US, as well as his inability to properly communicate with others, even those who had also been "over there" was painful.

Sadder still that he was killed "at home" at a firing range.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4458: Jan 22, 2015 01:08:36 pm
      Sadder still that he was killed "at home" at a firing range.

It was always going to happen one way or another.
      The guy appeared to have a death wish, became a compulsive liar and attention seeker, and apparently made a lot of things up to sell his book.
      I haven't read it, but I might after seeing the flim, just to gain a bit more understanding of his mindset.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #4459: Jan 22, 2015 01:25:18 pm

A movie that takes a recud breaking $105m in it's opening week in the US of A is guaranteed to be on a par with Dumb And Dumber and therefore exempt from critique.
      The Davy Crocket Bungalow Bill Shoot 'em Dead national identity the Americans hold sacred is lovingly epitomised on the silver screen by a carbon copy Ronald ray Gun who attained a role that Clint shoot 'em dead Eastwood himself may aspire to - President Cowboy.

As with UK governments when there is work to be done in the dying for your country dept, great emphasis is placed on previous unimaginable carnage in the obscenely promoted ''great wars'' with little regard during the conflict or after to the brave souls who volunteer to fight, indeed in WW1 some poor souls were shot while in the grip of trauma associated with the God-awful horror created by the people who ordered their deaths.
      The USA cosmetic as ever, make movies about it and have an actor with a created persona glorifying the whole shooting match. 
      Bier
      Reply #4460: Jan 22, 2015 01:51:24 pm
      Alot of that movie was made up anyway, the whole thing with the other sniper, never happened. Which makes me question basically everything in the movie, when they're not even attempting to stick to the truth. I didn't like it. I watched The Imitation Game a bit before that, and much preferred that one, although that's quite tragic. But a good reminder of how things were not that long ago.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4461: Jan 22, 2015 01:56:38 pm
      Alot of that movie was made up anyway, the whole thing with the other sniper, never happened. Which makes me question basically everything in the movie, when they're not even attempting to stick to the truth.

"Truth" and Hollywood rarely go hand in hand.

The movie wasn't about the war except as an aside and it could have taken place in any war of the last century, a theatre where the de-humanising effects of war in general, and snipers in particular was played out.
      The difference between his self promoted hard man image, and the actual effects on him were the story, and in this story was an anti war narrative.

Quick Reply