Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

Johnson unveiled to media (with Press Conference)

Read 8970 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Johnson unveiled to media (with Press Conference)
      Jul 09, 2009 12:04:24 pm
      Johnson: Why I chose Liverpool

Glen Johnson today revealed how Liverpool's reputation in world football meant no other club could compete for his signature.

The right-back was the subject of reported interest from other clubs - but claims there was no contest once Rafa Benitez offered him the chance to join 'one of the biggest clubs in the world'.

"I had a spell at Chelsea before and there were good and bad times but when a club like Liverpool comes in for you it is not a hard decision," Johnson told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"It's a fantastic club - one of the biggest in the world. It's got a great history and I wanted to be a part of that.

"The hairs on the back of your neck stand up when you come to Anfield and hear You'll Never Walk Alone even when you don't play for Liverpool, so I cannot begin to imagine how it is going to feel when I put the kit on for the first time."

Johnson will be unveiled to the world's media on Thursday afternoon where he will reveal how his top priority in a Liverpool shirt will be helping the club win a first league title since 1990.

"We've got some fantastic players and I wanted to come here and help Liverpool win the league," added the 24-year-old.

"The boys did fantastically well last year. Hopefully we can now get a few more points and steal it from Manchester United.

"We want to go as far as we can in every competition but all the lads want to win the Premier League and that would be a great start."

Johnson was voted the Premier League's best right-back by the PFA last term but the England man insists there is even more to come.

"I can definitely improve - every player can. I want to improve every aspect of my game," he said.

"Rafa has told me he wants more of the same form I showed last year, but he also wants me to improve. We will be working hard together to do that.

"I am here to do my best."

Johnson reported to training at Melwood for the first time on Wednesday where he was introduced to his new teammates.

"Yesterday was my first day and all the lads and staff made me feel really welcome, so it's good times," he said.

"I knew Stevie and Carra from before but yesterday I met about 60 players! I was shaking the same hands about four times introducing myself! It's a lot to take in at once, and obviously the lads were messing about and laughing about that. But everyone's made me feel really welcome and it's great to be here."

Johnson also revealed how he spoke with former Reds Peter Crouch and Jermaine Pennant - both of whom he played alongside at Portsmouth last term - before signing at Anfield.

"Peter and Jermaine said it's a fantastic club but they didn't need to say that - I knew. They told me I'd enjoy every minute of it," he said.

Link
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Johnson unveiled to media (with Press Conference)
      Reply #1: Jul 09, 2009 12:10:55 pm
      Quality interview seems the lad only had his heart set on coming here, nice to see former players talking highly about the club even though they never got their desired outcome in a Liverpool shirt and were shipped out.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #2: Jul 09, 2009 12:37:28 pm
      Ahh I'm happy to see Glen in Liverpool shirt, clearly he had a serious desire to play for us, seems like a nice lad too.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Jul 09, 2009 04:06:19 pm
      Great attitude to have, especially about knocking the Mancs off their F***ing block.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Jul 09, 2009 04:30:30 pm
      All the right things said there. Glen seems like a true proffessional off the pitch, we already know what he's like on it.

Getting really excited now actually about seeing him play for us for the first time, it'll definately be an experience that he'll always remember.

I hope he enjoys many a success at this club.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #5: Jul 09, 2009 04:35:23 pm
      All the right things said there. Glen seems like a true proffessional off the pitch, we already know what he's like on it.

Getting really excited now actually about seeing him play for us for the first time, it'll definately be an experience that he'll always remember.

I hope he enjoys many a success at this club.

Yeah mate, unlike Keane, i feel really positive about this one. I just pray it works out for both Glen and the club, we both deserve every bit of success.

Liverpool v Chelsea round 37, could well score another stunner to clinch some sort of trophy...
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #6: Jul 09, 2009 04:57:56 pm
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #7: Jul 09, 2009 05:20:06 pm
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Jul 09, 2009 05:26:52 pm

In that picture there ^^^^ Do you think Gerrards saying to Kuyt well Babel was the biggest in the showering rooms, but I've just seen Johnsons and its this big ? ;D

bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #9: Jul 09, 2009 07:29:17 pm
      Good luck Glen, Keep on improving like you have over the last 2 seasons and you will do just fine. Looking forward to seeing you in a red shirt.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #10: Jul 09, 2009 08:14:37 pm
      Bit of fighting talk already. :D Can't wait for the season to start now.

Is right Glen!

bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #11: Jul 09, 2009 09:10:17 pm
      Obviously, it's Johnson of Liverpool, obviously a very good player, Good luck Glen, obviously......
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #12: Jul 09, 2009 09:19:59 pm
      Top player, he is a matchwinner...

btw what is his squad num??
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #13: Jul 09, 2009 09:21:13 pm

Dossena's old number.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 09, 2009 09:25:37 pm

Has Dossena got a new number? Or are surely losing him?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #15: Jul 09, 2009 09:26:51 pm
      Has Dossena got a new number? Or are surely losing him?

He currently doesn't have a number, and I hope we sell him, but we're getting off topic. ;)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #16: Jul 09, 2009 09:30:49 pm
      He currently doesn't have a number, and I hope we sell him, but we're getting off topic. ;)

Very diplomatically put Ayrton. :D

Me too.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,513 posts | 2873 
      Reply #17: Jul 09, 2009 09:44:16 pm
      He can talk the talk, hopefully he can walk the walk.
      lfc_gerrard
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 175 posts | 21 
      Reply #18: Jul 09, 2009 09:47:06 pm

muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #19: Jul 09, 2009 09:57:20 pm
      well in Glen. all the best in your Liverpool career. Gerrard seems smitten already.
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #20: Jul 09, 2009 10:00:12 pm
      Clearly had the desire to play for us to turn his noses up at Chelski and City.. who would have offered him alot of money. He looks a top player and a top man too. YNWA Welcome to Liverpool FC - THIS IS ANFIELD
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #21: Jul 09, 2009 10:14:21 pm
      Nice little read that. Sounds like he's up for the challenge. I don't want to hear him say anything else now. Just want to see him do his talking on the pitch.

Oh Glenny boy! The reds, the reds are calling from the top of the Kop!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,369 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #22: Jul 09, 2009 10:17:32 pm

And the Anny road
      This summers signing, the reds are flying

Are we on to something here?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #23: Jul 09, 2009 10:18:28 pm
      Nice little read that. Sounds like he's up for the challenge. I don't want to hear him say anything else now. Just want to see him do his talking on the pitch.

...And down the Anfield Road!

As for: "We want to go as far as we can in every competition but all the lads want to win the Premier League and that would be a great start." - Sounds like something Shanks would say that doesn't it?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #24: Jul 09, 2009 10:22:42 pm
      And the Anny road
      This summers signing, the reds are flying

Are we on to something here?

...And down the Anfield Road!

Get it going lads!
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #25: Jul 09, 2009 10:38:40 pm
      Confident lad front of the press.... He was always gonna choose us...
      lfc_gerrard
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 175 posts | 21 
      Reply #26: Jul 09, 2009 11:38:52 pm
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #27: Jul 09, 2009 11:42:05 pm
      Quite an intelligent young lad by the looks.....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #28: Jul 09, 2009 11:56:39 pm
      Quite an intelligent young lad by the looks.....

..obviously.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #29: Jul 10, 2009 12:23:13 am

Lmao!! I Noticed that, starts every sentence with "Uum Obviously.." "Well Obviously.." Even the reporter was getting into it towards the end.. Mustv been about 50 obviously's there.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #30: Jul 10, 2009 12:44:00 am
      Welcome to Liverpool Football Club Johnno! It's so good to se a modern day footballer who's not obsessed by money. He could have earned lots more at Chelski or Shitty but he wanted to come here first and foremost. From the pictures in the gym, looks like Stevie G is smitten already! :action-smiley-031:

I hope you fulfill your potential with us, good to hear him taking on board Rafa's views on him improving his game. No doubt that has reference to his defensive game. Glenn, you've come to the right place mate, just give us your all and do us all proud. The rest as they say, will take care of itself, OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!

wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #31: Jul 10, 2009 12:59:16 am
      when you have that sort of passion to put on a red shirt thats a tremendous start. the crowd will love this guy. an england international that speaks volumes great transfer aquisition
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #32: Jul 10, 2009 02:33:12 am
      I think Glen is going to be a fantastic signing, a few eyebrows were raised when it was announced he would cost 17mil, but this is what we need, to beat the likes of chelski and city for a proven class player :D....good luck glen......now for silva....
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,900 posts | 6827 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #33: Jul 10, 2009 06:49:59 am
      Welcome to best club on the Planet Glen...look forward to seeing you in the famous Red Kit.

Not sure about what you said in the paper article on the 1st page of this thread though. We won't be "stealing the Title" form those Manc cu*ts. We'll be winning it fair and square and hopefully you'll play a major part in us doing that. All the best mate.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #34: Jul 10, 2009 07:00:02 am
      He'd make a damn fine manager, Glen. Everything is apparently so bleeding obvious ::)
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #35: Jul 10, 2009 10:26:07 am
      I think he had a bet with Stevie for the amount of times he could say "obviously" in that conference.  :D

But, welcome to the club Glen. He's said some nice things and it obviously means a lot to him.

I hope he does well.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #36: Jul 10, 2009 03:25:10 pm
      Johnson on Rafa, Chelsea and Versatility

Glen Johnson was unveiled to the world's media as a Liverpool player at Melwood on Thursday and our new right-back took 10 minutes to speak to radio journalists about his move to Anfield.

Journalist: Glen, there was reportedly interest from other clubs, so why did you choose Liverpool?

Because it's a fantastic club and, to be honest, I've always had a soft spot for Liverpool, so it was an easy decision to make.

Journalist: Where does your desire to come to Anfield stem from? Is it mainly from Liverpool's wonderful history or the fact it was a cracking season for them last time around?

Both. Obviously they had a fantastic season and this is a club with great history. Rafa is also keen to help me improve and that's what I want to do.

Journalist: Your affinity for Liverpool all started from the first kit you had when you were a boy didn't it?

Yes, when I was a young boy all I ever wanted to do was play football and I used to run around my garden in my Liverpool kit, which was the first kit my mum ever bought for me. Living in south London I don't know where that came from, but I guess everything happens for a reason.

Journalist: What can you achieve at Liverpool? I'm sure even when you were at Portsmouth you watched closely at the way this club progressed last year...

I want to come here and do as well as I can and try and help the team improve. The lads had a fantastic season last year finishing second and everyone in the squad is now looking to improve on that. There are some fantastic names in this squad, the likes of Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and so on. It's going to be brilliant for me to play alongside players like that.

Journalist: Rafa Benitez has obviously spent a lot of money to bring you here. What can you add to Liverpool?

I don't know really, I guess you'll have to wait and see. People saw my game last season and I'd like to think I can do the same here with a bit more added.

Journalist: I remember one of your early games for West Ham against Liverpool - you had a really good match and afterwards everyone was talking about you as a future international. The move to Chelsea didn't really work out for you though, did it? What do you put that down to?

When I first went to Chelsea things were going fine. I was 18 and playing in all of the games I was available for under Claudio Ranieri. So things started well, but when Jose Mourinho came in, he had different ideas and brought his own players in and, for whatever reason, it didn't work out for me. So I made a choice and decided to leave.

Journalist: Do you feel your career has gone full circle now?

Yes. I left Chelsea for a reason and I'm glad I was able to achieve that at Portsmouth, but obviously I won't be resting on my laurels. I want to push on again.

Journalist: When were you first aware of Liverpool's interest in you?

I'm not sure to be honest. There was a lot written in the papers during the last transfer window and again at the start of this one. You're left thinking, 'Is it going to happen?' But in the end I tried not to get carried away. Once I spoke to Rafa the deal happened quite quickly.

Journalist: You picked up a Premier League winners' medal with Chelsea. You probably didn't play as many games as you would have liked, but can you use any of that experience here at Liverpool?

Definitely. Chelsea were obviously a fantastic side and did well to win the league. I may not have played as many games I would have liked to, but there's no point in worrying about the past because I want to make the most of the future. I will just use the experience and take it with me.

Journalist: You must believe this Liverpool side can win the Premier League?

Yes, definitely. They went so close to doing it last season and the lads have so much desire to improve and get that medal. I would not put anything past them.

Journalist: Did you ask Peter Crouch and Jermaine Pennant about life at Anfield?

Yes, I spoke to Crouchy and Jermaine. They told me this is a fantastic club, but obviously they didn't really need to tell me that part. They also said Rafa is a nice man and the training is good at a high intensity, which is what I need.

Journalist: I'm not sure Rafa had to sell a club like Liverpool to you, but when you look at what they can achieve and how good they were last season, it's looking very bright for the future...

Without a doubt. Everyone at this club wants to improve. The fans want Liverpool to win the league and we will certainly be giving it our best shot.

Journalist: Is this the right move for you at this stage of your career? Is this were you thought you'd be at this age - a top four club?

In every game I've played I've tried to do the best I could to play for the best club I could. Every player's dream is to play in the Champions League and play for your country, so I'm over the moon to come to Liverpool.

Journalist: How difficult do you think it will be to win a place in the side?

I don't expect to come here and play every single game or walk in, play the first game and then keep the shirt. I'm willing to knuckle down, work hard and take nothing for granted.

Journalist: Fans know you as a right-back, but there is versatility to your game...

Yes, I can play in other positions. Funnily enough, I was playing just behind the front two for Portsmouth in their final couple of games last season, but I think that was just a one off!

Journalist: People believed you would end up as a central defender when you started out at West Ham...

I think when young lads come through, people will speculate about the different positions they can play in. I started out as a striker when I was young, and then in the West Ham youth teams I played centre-back, right-back and even in midfield. Obviously when I broke into the first-team I played right-back. I think coaches like to put you on the outside of the defence when you're young because centre-back is such a big position and it's not easy for a 16/17-year-old to step into the first-team in the Premier League and play there.

Journalist: Has Rafa spoken to you about your versatility? Does he see it as an asset?

We've spoke about it, and even today I played at left-back in training. Obviously it's ideal for a manager if players can play in more than one position.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164988090710-0814.htm
      Milestone
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      • Liverpool FC - The only club to watch in England
      Reply #37: Jul 10, 2009 03:40:38 pm
      Johnson, you are the man !
      « Last Edit: Jul 10, 2009 03:43:28 pm by Bpatel, Reason: Sorted the title out. »
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #38: Jul 10, 2009 03:54:38 pm
      Left-back at training? Rafa is already thinking about the Aurelio injury?;)
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #39: Jul 10, 2009 04:10:20 pm
      Left-back at training? Rafa is already thinking about the Aurelio injury?;)

Thought so as well. Wow, he can even play behind the front two. Is he going to replace Stevie G in his position for a couple of games ::), and I think Johnson being tried at leftback is maybe giving hints that Arbeloa is staying. Degen's always out, I think he's going to be appointed Chief Physio anytime soon, so the only recognised rightback is Arbeloa.
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #40: Jul 11, 2009 11:10:15 am
      Well It's like being a kid again for Glen Johnson wearing a Liverpool top. Welcome to Liverpool
      MsGerrard
      Reply #41: Jul 13, 2009 12:25:52 am
      Seems a pleasant enough young man, as long as he does the business, he'll do me.

And 'obviously' I like him, he has the same surname as me  :laugh:

Stevie G seems very taken with him, I wonder if Nando will be jealous  :lmao:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,900 posts | 6827 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #42: Jul 13, 2009 04:16:44 am
      Seems a pleasant enough young man, as long as he does the business, he'll do me.

And 'obviously' I like him, he has the same surname as me  :laugh:

Stevie G seems very taken with him, I wonder if Nando will be jealous  :lmao:

I'm sure Stevie has enough on his plate wondering what you are doing with Glen Johnson  ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #43: Jul 13, 2009 09:08:58 am
      Watched the press conference, alot of determination there, i like it ;D
      Got my subscription ready for Wednesdays game, hopefully see him have a run and see what hes made of, im excited though think he'll be great!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #44: Jul 13, 2009 03:59:49 pm
      I'm sure Stevie has enough on his plate wondering what you are doing with Glen Johnson  ;)

I can cope Aussie  ;)  :lmao:

Quick Reply