Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Picking up scouse?

Read 53113 times
      sourcherry
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Re: Picking up scouse?
      Reply #92: Sep 24, 2009 12:08:26 am
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,111 posts | 3366 
      Reply #93: Sep 24, 2009 04:22:56 pm
      Not sure if they're exclusively Scouse but they are a couple of words you'll see on here and around the city.

Ace or cracker or class, all which are other words for boss.

Queen when talking to a elderly girl you don't know too well. For example when the girl in the shop gives you your change back "ta queen."

Alehouse which is literally just another for pub and sh*t house which is just another word for bog/toilet.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #94: Sep 24, 2009 04:26:47 pm
      I've always used lash as in "Going out on the lash tonight" meaning going out boozing.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #95: Sep 25, 2009 04:21:55 pm
      ace and cracker from the seventies...ha ha brings back memories

what about      better    as in That was a better whopper buzz,,,, seems to have died out now, was big in the 80s early 90s       and   safe.
      Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #96: Oct 01, 2009 01:01:53 pm
      Scran is a boss word.

Kidder is another word, not used half as much nowadays.

Scran is word that was adopted from the military.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #97: Oct 01, 2009 02:40:20 pm
      Not sure if they're exclusively Scouse but they are a couple of words you'll see on here and around the city.

Ace or cracker or class, all which are other words for boss.

The words cracker and class are used all the time in Belfast. I think, however, the scouse language is very similar to Belfast language due to Liverpool being the closest English city to Belfast and there are a lot of scousers with Irish heritage.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #98: Oct 03, 2009 01:37:18 am
      The words cracker and class are used all the time in Belfast. I think, however, the scouse language is very similar to Belfast language due to Liverpool being the closest English city to Belfast and there are a lot of scousers with Irish heritage.

We say class in Lancashire as well...the plot thickens...
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #99: Oct 03, 2009 02:16:09 am
      I've used class for years as well as an alternative for great/brilliant/fantastic, etc.

I've been thinking about this.  Growing up in north east Wales, there was a strong merseyside influence in the area, so some words probably are common to both areas.  And I went to uni in Liverpool so I must have picked up words there.

Funny, words that seem completely natural to me have probably been picked up along the way.

I remember listening to a clip on the radio about UK accents and how different they were.  They ran a sound clip from top of Scotland down to Cornwall.  How different can you get?  It fascinates me that for such a small land mass the dialects and accents that we have are so different.  And I may be biased but I love the Scouse accent.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #100: Oct 03, 2009 02:19:49 am

That's all you had to say really.  ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,111 posts | 3366 
      Reply #101: Oct 03, 2009 02:24:20 am
      Scouse accent is alright at times but it can be the most annoying thing in the world at other times. When you get those squeaky voiced Scouse lads who say words like bowt instead of boat or noe instead of no. The way they the letter O is vile. (not sure if I've explained it properly but anybody whose heard it will know what I mean)

And the brassy Scouse birds with the big thick accents is the worst sound in the world. Quietly soften spoken is alright for girls, but the Cilla Black type should be gagged for life.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #102: Oct 03, 2009 02:33:35 am
      Scouse accent is alright at times but it can be the most annoying thing in the world at other times. When you get those squeaky voiced Scouse lads who say words like bowt instead of boat or noe instead of no. The way they the letter O is vile. (not sure if I've explained it properly but anybody whose heard it will know what I mean)

And the brassy Scouse birds with the big thick accents is the worst sound in the world. Quietly soften spoken is alright for girls, but the Cilla Black type should be gagged for life.

I doubt I'd be able to make the disctinction tbh.  But there are some accents that do grate on me.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #103: Oct 03, 2009 02:34:26 am
      The scouse accent is sound unless it's exaggerated. Like with any accent.

I've got no problem with people talking the way they naturally talk. But when there's an effort to sound even more, that's when it pisses me off.

Just be yourself.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #104: Oct 03, 2009 02:36:31 am
      But there are some accents that do grate on me.

Spill the beans!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #105: Oct 03, 2009 02:44:08 am

I'm supposed to be going to bed :D

South Wales *hisss* and although I have a few really good mates, the Brummy accent and I have no idea why, it just irritates the F**k outta me.  Apologies to any Brummies on here  :-[  And Norfolk/Suffolk doesn't grate but it's amusing.  Sounds bad that really, I'm an accent snob.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #106: Oct 03, 2009 02:47:48 am
      For someone like me who is not exactly fluent in the English language, the scouse accent is quite difficult to understand at times. Someone like Carra, for example, I have a really hard time to understand most of what he says.

The fact most English teachers I had always spoke it with the American accent doesn't help either.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #107: Oct 03, 2009 03:00:42 am
      I'm supposed to be going to bed :D

South Wales *hisss* and although I have a few really good mates, the Brummy accent and I have no idea why, it just irritates the F**k outta me.  Apologies to any Brummies on here  :-[  And Norfolk/Suffolk doesn't grate but it's amusing.  Sounds bad that really, I'm an accent snob.

I'm loving the way you couldn't resist telling before you went to bed!!  ;D

For someone like me who is not exactly fluent in the English language, the scouse accent is quite difficult to understand at times. Someone like Carra, for example, I have a really hard time to understand most of what he says.

The fact most English teachers I had always spoke it with the American accent doesn't help either.

Best thing to do is come to Liverpool. You don't need to understand English to understand scouse. All you need to know in English when you're here is:

Where's the pub

Where's town

Where's Anfield

After all that, no doubt someone will look after you if you're lost.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #108: Oct 03, 2009 03:12:56 am

But if theyre fit birds...that accent can sound f**king hot. As I found out the other week. I could listen to her speaking (whilst looking below her head) for hours.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #109: Oct 03, 2009 03:15:35 am
      But if theyre fit birds...that accent can sound f**king hot. As I found out the other week. I could listen to her speaking (whilst looking below her head) for hours.

For hours...you can tell you don't live here.  ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,018 posts | 3955 
      Reply #110: Oct 03, 2009 05:05:24 pm
      The scouse accent is sound unless it's exaggerated. Like with any accent.

I've got no problem with people talking the way they naturally talk. But when there's an effort to sound even more, that's when it pisses me off.

Just be yourself.
      I was brought up in Walton (not the nick before some smart arse posts) and the accent you hear now is nothing like it was years ago - the strange thing is the heavy Liverpool accent is spoken by the kids in the suburbs and it seemed to break out simultaneously in the likes of Kirkdale,Speke and Kirkby to name a few. If anything dialects tend to get watered down over time and become less abrasive but the opposite seems to have happened in some areas of the city leading to the premise that it could be an entirely deliberate phenomena.
      It has been suggested that it is a form of inverted snobbery and there is some mileage in the claim but it is more than likely the kids are just "talking hard" to impress whoever it might impress.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #111: Oct 03, 2009 05:42:02 pm
      I was brought up in Walton (not the nick before some smart arse posts) and the accent you hear now is nothing like it was years ago - the strange thing is the heavy Liverpool accent is spoken by the kids in the suburbs and it seemed to break out simultaneously in the likes of Kirkdale,Speke and Kirkby to name a few. If anything dialects tend to get watered down over time and become less abrasive but the opposite seems to have happened in some areas of the city leading to the premise that it could be an entirely deliberate phenomena.
      It has been suggested that it is a form of inverted snobbery and there is some mileage in the claim but it is more than likely the kids are just "talking hard" to impress whoever it might impress.

Aye it's a good point that. Although I think some scousers just sound more scouse than others if you know what I mean? I wouldn't say I've got a really strong accent but most of my mates who aren't from Liverpool call me Kenny laa. So I presume I must do. I've never tried to put the accent on though, that's just embarrassing.

By the way, what was it like growing up on Hornby Rd, stuey?  ;)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #112: Oct 03, 2009 05:49:48 pm
      By the way, what was it like growing up on Hornby Rd, stuey?  ;)

:lmao:

Aye it's a good point that. Although I think some scousers just sound more scouse than others if you know what I mean? I wouldn't say I've got a really strong accent but most of my mates who aren't from Liverpool call me Kenny laa. So I presume I must do. I've never tried to put the accent on though, that's just embarrassing.

Same here. You put it on stronger taking the piss but I'd never exaggerate it for the sake of it.

I didn't think mine was strong at all until I worked in Manchester for a month. :D Opens your eyes.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,018 posts | 3955 
      Reply #113: Oct 03, 2009 08:35:32 pm

By the way, what was it like growing up on Hornby Rd, stuey?  ;)
      Know what your saying Kenny about some accents being stronger than others but I used to work with lads from Scotie road,the bull ring and as I said lived in Walton but I never heard the over the top throat clearing accent the "ultra scousers" have got now.
       Always remember when I was a kid and you never walked on the jail side of Hornby road on account of it being bad luck....it seemed to work cos I've never been a guest there ........TOUCH WOOD.
      « Last Edit: Oct 03, 2009 09:00:13 pm by stuey »
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #114: Oct 04, 2009 12:45:38 am
      great post stuey, and I think alexy sale agreed in his program, I see this only as an advantage though, my accent goes really thick when im wellied, and I suppose im proud of it, and in the distant future, it will be only accent left, the rest will speak estuary (phone) amringlish if you know what I mean.
      accents are very very localised, i grew up in huyton and i can tell slightly that the accent is different from where i live now in clubmoor, and they are more sarcastic there too.

kids will always try to individualise themselves, its part of growing up, i think your accent dialutes over time and age.

Quick Reply