Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Lucas Biglia (Anderlecht)

Read 3915 times
      Tamyka 4 Torres
      • Forum Neil Ruddock
      • Started Topic

• 152 posts |
      Lucas Biglia (Anderlecht)
      Jul 22, 2009 07:45:56 pm
      Biglia holds out for Prem switch
      Argentine wants English move

Last updated: 22nd July 2009

Lucas Biglia is holding out to seal a move to the Premier League, his British representative has confirmed.

The Argentine star is currently with Anderlecht, but he has confirmed his desire to depart the Belgian giants in order to enhance his international ambitions.

Biglia, who is being tipped to make Argentina's World Cup squad, has recently gained his Italian passport, which means he is now free to move anywhere within the EU.

The 23-year-old joined Anderlecht in 2006 from Independiente, and he has since proved himself as one of the best players in Belgium.

A host of clubs have been linked to the talented midfielder, who has already shunned interest from Turkish side Fenerbahce.

The likes of Deportivo La Coruna and Lazio are both thought to have expressed an interest in Biglia in recent weeks, which could spark a battle for his signature.

But Biglia is seemingly waiting to see what offers emerge from England, where there is substantial interest, with up to half-a-dozen clubs keen on him.

"We know there is interest in Lucas, and they know that he is keen on moving to England," his British agent Barry McIntosh confirmed to skysports.com.

"Lucas wants to play for Argentina, and he knows playing in England is a fantastic showcase for him to display his talents.

"He has already shunned offers to move elsewhere. He is good friends with Javier Mascherano, having played with him in all the youth teams and he has seen what a big success he has been in England.

"He would love to play with Javier again at senior level, and we think that is very achievable."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5447926,00.html
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Re: Lucas Biglia (Anderlecht)
      Reply #1: Jul 22, 2009 07:47:20 pm
      Another Lucas eh?
      Tamyka 4 Torres
      • Forum Neil Ruddock
      • Started Topic

• 152 posts |
      Reply #2: Jul 22, 2009 07:48:21 pm
      Hopefully better than the one at the club atm.  :)
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #3: Jul 22, 2009 07:53:58 pm
      Haha. Well ... seems interesting that we are interested in him. I would've thought we would be paying big money for big players this season. But is this just another transfer market were we buy half decent players for small amounts.

And who knows that this player is only suitable for the 'smaller' leagues. Many players come into Liverpool and don't suit our style or just simply can't cope with the pace of the Prem, for example Morientes and well - Babel, he was meant to be the next best thing coming out of the Dutch leagues and hasn't really proved himself.
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #4: Jul 22, 2009 08:05:45 pm
      Haven't seen or heared too much about this lad.. what's he like?
      Tamyka 4 Torres
      • Forum Neil Ruddock
      • Started Topic

• 152 posts |
      Reply #5: Jul 22, 2009 08:08:49 pm
      I don't know anything about him other than the information from Sky Sports News.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #6: Jul 22, 2009 08:13:34 pm
      Haven't seen or heared too much about this lad.. what's he like?

Neither have I.

But he looks like Sarah Jessica Parker! :D

I'm not sure how he's played but one article I found seems to suggest he's a bit of alright, although it does hedge it's bets by saying he could be a flop. :D

Who is Lucas Biglia - The next Javier Mascherano or Seba Veron?
      There were no serious injuries to report at the mini-stampedes caused at airports around England by scouts from Premier League clubs who were in a hurry to get to Belgium upon hearing that Lucas Biglia had finally been granted a European Passport.

Indeed it seems that the Premiership has been interested in Biglia for over a year, but who exactly is Lucas Biglia?

An Argentine with Italian heritage, 23-year-old Biglia is what you would expect of an Argentine - long hair, obligatory headband and unfortunately for the young South American, a passing resemblance to compatriot Hernan Crespo.

Starting his career at Argentinos Juniors in 2003, Biglia joined Argentine giants Independiente in 2005, where his performances for the Diablos first saw the player come in for some attention from clubs around Europe. After one season with Independiente, Biglia did indeed get his move to Europe.

Unfortunately due to not being able to get his mitts on a European Passport or a work permit due to not being capped for Argentina, Biglia ended up in Belgium at Anderlecht. Ever since the Premier League have been keeping tabs on the Argentine who has flourished in the Belgian First Division, while waiting for Biglia to finally get his passport.

Skysports.com say that up to half of the clubs in the Premier League have scouted Biglia in recent months, with his agent Barry McIntosh claiming that the interest has increased since young Lucas received his passport. Does this mean potentially almost all Premier League clubs want him now?

"It is great news about his passport," McIntosh told skysports.com.

"The interest was always strong in England but now we have already seen an increase. He is a top-class player and we have little doubt he could play in the Premier League. Now he could have that opportunity."

Under contract at Anderlecht until the summer of 2012, Biglia is valued in the region of £7million and is a classy holding midfielder that is good on the ball and has the same knack that former Arsenal player Patrick Vieira had to create time for himself in congested areas. Some have likened Biglia to AC Milan's Andrea Pirlo, but I would add without the goals.

Although also a very combative midfielder, Biglia is a clean tackler, with the Argentine only being booked 17 times in 107 matches for Anderlecht and never sent off. It is also thought that it is only a matter of time before Biglia gets to wear the white and blue stripes of Argentina at international level.

The Young Belgian Player of the Year in 2007, Biglia has won two league titles, two Belgian Super Cups and the Belgian Cup with Les Mauves et Blancs. Biglia also won the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in 2005 with Argentina and on face value from the footage seen, he appears to be well worth the £7million valuation and Anderlecht are understood to be ready to cash in.

However, if as many Premier League clubs are interested in Biglia as claimed then this could easily escalate for a player who has been quietly getting on with his football but is now reportedly destined to become the most sought after player by the Premier League this summer.

So should the Argentine arrive this summer in the Premier League, could he be a useful addition like Javier Mascherano? Or will he be a flop like Juan Sebastian Veron? At around £7million, someone is going to buy him.

http://www.footballfancast.com/blog/premiership/who-lucas-biglia-the-next-javier-mascherano-or-seba-veron/11916

Tamyka 4 Torres
      • Forum Neil Ruddock
      • Started Topic

• 152 posts |
      Reply #7: Jul 22, 2009 08:14:37 pm
      They do look alike.

;D

Maybe take him on loan, if he's good enough then sign up on a permo deal.
      « Last Edit: Jul 22, 2009 08:19:29 pm by CRK, Reason: Consecutive posts »
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #8: Jul 22, 2009 08:52:21 pm
      here is a viseo clip , and there are more on the tube
       But don't know what to say , a loan move as said above , to see if he fits well

Lucas Biglia, he's football heaven
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Jul 22, 2009 09:02:56 pm
      I noticed it said he had familiarity playing with Mascherano, if they had any kind of understanding added to the fact that he's a clean tackler as pointed to by his stats as well as a good passer, then if our scouts are interested in him I say at 7 million bring him in as for me Lucas Plessis and Spearing have proved they are by no means ready to fill Xabi's boots on a permanent basis. He looks like a direct replacement for Xabi can pass and tackle but can't score in Wayne Rooney's Brothel with a fiver hanging out of his arse.

Saying that though the Belgian league is not exactly the Premiership and I do not really know anything about the lad.
      mormarijn
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 22, 2009 11:11:07 pm
      here is a viseo clip , and there are more on the tube
       But don't know what to say , a loan move as said above , to see if he fits well

Lucas Biglia, he's football heaven

If he's on loan at Anfield, I don't think he gets a lot of playing minutes. He's talented, so why not buy him? Then we have Lucas and Biglia as stand-ins! All other top teams have 2 players for each position too, so why not we? It's hard to say, but our enemies (that blue gobshites) got F*ll*n* from Belgium too, and I think Biglia is a better player!
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #11: Jul 23, 2009 12:42:49 am
      At least he adds depth to the squad
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #12: Jul 23, 2009 07:22:20 am
      Mascher can use a friend. Hes lonely.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #13: Jul 23, 2009 11:07:46 pm
      Seriously, I am from belgium so I have seen him play for the past few seasons and he is nowhere near liverpoolquality. My personal opinion is that he is greatly overrated. Anderlecht bought him as a great prospect, but he has never shown that he is/could be a star player.
      dafurf
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | -2 
      Reply #14: Jul 24, 2009 01:33:20 am
      Not Liverpool quality.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,386 posts | 1542 
      Reply #15: Jul 24, 2009 01:59:50 am
      Surely if he was top class, there'd be a lot more interest from else where, other than agents talk. I've never heard of him personally, but that don't mean much.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16: Jul 24, 2009 07:45:37 am

Is anyone? ::)
      xiiaokayy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #17: Jul 26, 2009 09:05:28 am
      I do believe we should give him a chance, he might turn out better than lucas leiva  :o

Quick Reply