Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Formula 1

Read 584694 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #2645: Sep 23, 2013 10:09:39 am
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2646: Sep 27, 2013 08:55:27 pm

Sympathised that Webber was reprimanded which brought about his 10 place grid penalty but having seen that I'd have to say there is little to sympathise now. They look like a pair of idiots to be fair.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #2647: Oct 27, 2013 08:08:50 pm
      Shows how boring, uninteresting and dull this sport has become that on the day Vettel has won the world title again that noone has even posted in here.

6 wins on the trot now and 4 consecutive world championship, something needs to be done to make it more competitive surely? I've always been a 'casual' watcher of F1 and would make an effort to see the Grand Prix, without ever knowing the ins and outs, but I honestly can't remember the last time I watched, it's just dire.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2648: Oct 27, 2013 08:13:40 pm
      Vettell has 34 victories now I believe and Alonso has 32. Think this goes to show just how one sided its been for the last 4 years and how far ahead Red Bull are because it was much closer 5+ years ago. Remember when Kimi won it fractionally ahead of Alonso and Hamilton.

Boring nowadays. Ferrari need a reality check and some decent development on their cars.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4845 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2649: Oct 27, 2013 08:28:50 pm
      I've tried to like it and understand it but the only thing I've learned from the sport over all these years is the German National Anthem.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2650: Nov 11, 2013 06:31:09 pm
      Shows how boring, uninteresting and dull this sport has become that on the day Vettel has won the world title again that noone has even posted in here.

6 wins on the trot now and 4 consecutive world championship, something needs to be done to make it more competitive surely? I've always been a 'casual' watcher of F1 and would make an effort to see the Grand Prix, without ever knowing the ins and outs, but I honestly can't remember the last time I watched, it's just dire.

I have full respect for Vettel and Red Bull's achievement. I think the RB guys are incredible and Seb is a great great driver. Vettel, Horner, Newey and co have built something to rival Ferrari during the days of Schumi, Todt, Brawn and Byrne. I don't mind domination. Vettel dominated in 2011 but the racing was really really good that season. But this season in quality, racing and entertainment has been utterly dire and by far the worst season I have ever witnessed.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2651: Nov 11, 2013 06:44:39 pm
      I have full respect for Vettel and Red Bull's achievement. I think the RB guys are incredible and Seb is a great great driver. Vettel, Horner, Newey and co have built something to rival Ferrari during the days of Schumi, Todt, Brawn and Byrne. I don't mind domination. Vettel dominated in 2011 but the racing was really really good that season. But this season in quality, racing and entertainment has been utterly dire and by far the worst season I have ever witnessed.

Far too many of the other teams have been very poor.
      Since the tyres changed there has been no threat to Red Bull.

It would suggest that there is merit to the rumours of a mass damper on the Red Bull.
      It didn't match the frequency of the 2013 tyres, but as soon as the 2012 tyres returned
      Red Bull were untouchable.

I find it staggering that teams like Ferrari, Mercedes and McLaren have missed that.
      It's not the only thing other teams are missing.

Only this week Williams admitted/demonstrated that they totally got the coanda effect wrong.
      Their car actually went quicker without it. Only Sauber and Lotus have gotten anywhere near Red Bull on that,
      and only they copied the undercutting tunnel below the coanda exhaust.
      The others going in a different direction.

Only Sauber copied the air flow s bend in the nose, and what makes
      things worse is Ferrari pioneered that with Byrne at the team.

A lot of engineers need to take a F***ing look at themselves over the winter.
      Yes the coanda effect will be practically gone next year but there are still
      a few areas where other teams just haven't pushed the aero like they should.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2652: Nov 11, 2013 06:51:11 pm
      A lot of engineers need to take a f**king look at themselves over the winter.
      Yes the coanda effect will be practically gone next year but there are still
      a few areas where other teams just haven't pushed the aero like they should.

Don't you think a lot of that was to do with the totally new cars/engines/rule changes next season though mate? 

They wrote f**k on spending money on this seasons car once the tyre change happened as all their energy was put into next seasons car. 

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2653: Nov 11, 2013 06:54:04 pm
      Don't you think a lot of that was to do with the totally new cars/engines/rule changes next season though mate? 

They wrote f**k on spending money on this seasons car once the tyre change happened as all their energy was put into next seasons car. 

In Ferrari and McLaren's case you could well be right,
      and I hope you are because I'd hate a season dominated
      right from the start with a team with a clear number 1.

I haven't seen a season like this before, and for 3 races in
      a row I just didn't bother watching, once I knew Vettel was
      fastest in Free Practice.

In other news:

Kimi wont race the last two races.
      Massa is confirmed at Williams.
      Perez has lost his McLaren seat.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2654: Nov 11, 2013 07:04:09 pm

In Ferrari and McLaren's case you could well be right,
      and I hope you are because I'd hate a season dominated
      right from the start with a team with a clear number 1.

I haven't seen a season like this before, and for 3 races in
      a row I just didn't bother watching, once I knew Vettel was
      fastest in Free Practice.

In other news:

Kimi wont race the last two races.
      Massa is confirmed at Williams.
      Perez has lost his McLaren seat.

Must admit mate I've not been as interested this season, I hated the Schumi years for the  procession 'racing'.

No surprise in Perez going they'll probably sign Di Resta and keep it British or bring in a young Japanese driver to go with the Honda engine  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2655: Nov 11, 2013 07:14:08 pm
      Must admit mate I've not been as interested this season, I hated the Schumi years for the  procession 'racing'.

No surprise in Perez going they'll probably sign Di Resta and keep it British or bring in a young Japanese driver to go with the Honda engine  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

No they've gone for a young driver, Magnussen.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2656: Dec 03, 2013 12:31:37 pm
      Any McLaren fans about?

They've got a massive sale on their website for the last week.
      70% off.

http://www.mclarenstore.com/en/eu/men/sale/icat/mensale/
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2657: Dec 14, 2013 04:02:00 am

Cheap tricks which point to fact that Formula One has lost its nerve

Richard Williams

If Sebastian Vettel sees it as a bad idea, perhaps it's time to think again. This week's announcement that Formula One will be awarding double championship points for the final race of the season, due to take place in Abu Dhabi next November, has not pleased the four-times winner of the world title. Perhaps even he regards it as yet another sign of a sport in big trouble, desperate to ward off the threats to its existence, almost all of which are of its own creation.

Suddenly all sorts of gimmicks are being imposed on the sport of Juan Manuel Fangio and Jim Clark. In addition to the double-points wheeze, some genius has decided that individual drivers will carry the same racing number, between 2 and 99, throughout their careers, to be emblazoned for the first time on their helmets, with No1, as has long been the case, reserved for the reigning champion. The driver who claims the fastest lap in practice for each race will also be awarded points towards a new pole-position championship. And those who commit behavioural offences on the track will receive penalty points leading, when they reach a total of 12, to a one-race suspension.

These are supposed to be the solutions to the problems faced by a sport whose ringmaster, Bernie Ecclestone, is fighting accusations in the high court of handing a $44m bribe to a now-jailed German banker in order to facilitate the sale of a majority share in the sport's commercial rights to a private equity firm, CVC Capital Partners; this firm continues to employ him as its CEO while spending the past seven years creaming off half of the sport's huge profits. Ecclestone claims the $44m was intended to prevent the German tipping off Britain's tax authorities to his alleged control of the offshore trust, which holds much of the estimated personal fortune of £3bn he has accrued from his Formula One deals, something he also denies.

Emily Thornberry, the shadow attorney general, told Newsnight on Thursday that she has long felt Ecclestone's financial affairs deserve scrutiny. "What is the Serious Fraud Office for," she said, "if not for investigating cases like this?"

In a better ordered world, more of CVC's profits would have been distributed between the teams and the race promoters, without whom the sport would not exist. Instead, more than half the teams are in some sort of financial distress and gifted young drivers are forced to stand aside in favour of those with personal sponsors. Many of the circuits – forced to pay vast fees to Ecclestone, who also keeps all the sponsorship, trackside advertising and corporate-hospitality revenue – are in a constant battle for survival.

And as the foundations decay, the sport fiddles with gimmicks that, while intended to attract new audiences, continue to alienate those loyal to the principles that sustained it for more than a century.

Who let the drivers' behaviour deteriorate to the point where a disciplinary system is required in a sport that could once lay claim to a measure of dignity, even nobility? In a sport that is supposed to be dangerous – although perhaps not dangerous enough these days – any kind of offence ought to be punished by an instant ban. The penalty-point system effectively legitimises the kind of offences it is ostensibly being created to reduce.

In recent years Formula One has been tarted up and weighed down with all sorts of nonsense. New circuits look as though they were laid out in vast shopping-mall car parks, with painted lines indicating the track boundaries. Devices such as DRS zones and Kers buttons are intended to disguise the sport's competitive shortcomings. A perfectly respectable tyre manufacturer finds itself being instructed to manufacture products with a limited life, to spice up the contest. Designers, hemmed in by technical regulations, waste their time on arcane wind-tunnel research with negligible relevance to the real world. And now here comes another bunch of cheap tricks, led by the double-points notion.

The teams, who must have endorsed the decision, are concerned only with their own short-term interests. Clearly they are happy to distort the basis of their own championship, presumably glimpsing an antidote to Vettel's steamroller supremacy. In the longer perspective, however, Formula One has a good recent record of championships going down to the wire under the present scoring system – think of Kimi Raikkonen's last-gasp victory at Interlagos in 2007, or Lewis Hamilton snatching the title on the final corner at the same track in 2008, or Vettel dashing the hopes of Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber under the floodlights in Abu Dhabi two years later.

To feel the need for a mechanism intended to ensure that every season reaches a cliff-hanging climax is to severely underrate the audience's intelligence. It's like expecting every Premier League season to be decided by a penalty shoot-out. When Chelsea won the Premier League in 2004-05 with a 12-point margin, or when Manchester United took the title three seasons in a row between 2007 and 2009, no one lost their nerve and demanded changes to the format.

It's hard not to be cynical when looking at the sport's introduction of the double-points award in Abu Dhabi, newly reinstalled as the climactic race of the season. The UAE is where the money is, as golf decided when it created the Race to Dubai.

As for the numbering idea, presumably this is an attempt to raise the income from the sales of merchandising, under the guise of making it easier to identify the drivers. But if that were a serious consideration, they would simply clear some of the space currently devoted to sponsors' logos on the wings and bodywork.

What Formula One needs is not the enforcing of reliability rules for engines and gearboxes, created to reduce costs. It needs more uncertainty, more surprises, more bad luck on the track. As a writer in Autosport magazine suggested this week, it could make a start by banning the pits-to-car radio transmissions that do nothing but infantilise the drivers. Get them making their own in-race decisions again, gambling on experience and intuition rather than relying on drive-by-numbers instructions from their engineers.

The problem is that the sport's management is in the hands of a bunch of very clever people with a penchant for making stupid decisions based either on greed or an inability to see beyond their own front wheels. They haven't yet announced that the Formula One championship will henceforth be known as the Race to Abu Dhabi, but it's surely just a matter of time.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/dec/13/cheap-trick-double-points-f1-nerve

Great article by Richard Williams. I've loved this sport since I was a kid but the last year or so, and particularly these new farcical rules that have been introduced, is seriously testing my devotion to the sport. I definitely am falling out of love with the sport that gripped me as a kid where Michael Schumacher and Mika Hakkinen were my idols. Simply put the sport is dying.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 233 
      Reply #2658: Dec 29, 2013 10:02:39 pm
      Michael Schumacher had a sking accident today, taken to hospital and apparently in critical condition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25545993
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,326 posts | 4959 
      Reply #2659: Dec 29, 2013 10:17:46 pm
      Michael Schumacher had a sking accident today, taken to hospital and apparently in critical condition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25545993

Just heard about this.

Hope he's going to be OK.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,475 posts | 2861 
      Reply #2660: Dec 29, 2013 11:01:07 pm
      Keep fighting, Michael.

YNWA
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2661: Dec 30, 2013 05:51:12 pm
      Had to come on here for this. Absolutely gutted at hearing the news of Michael's condition. Can't imagine what his family are going through at the moment so my thougts are fery much with them as well. Along with my brother we adored him growing up so in retrospect he was a massive part of my childhood more than an individual sportsman or footballer who has come and gone since and I suppose it's that connection that is making this very difficult to accept. Back then it was with every passing lap of every race that I urged and cheered him on. Today I feel like that kid I was from over a decade ago urging him on with more intensity and passion than I have ever done. Whether it was winning races in lesser cars like in Spain 1996 or winning the San Marino Grand Prix on the day of his mothers death I know he has the ability to defy the odds and summon that inner strength to pull through.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #2662: Jan 01, 2014 01:57:20 pm
      Come on Michael ! Sincere best wishes for you and your family , this is the most important race and everyone is behind you
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2663: Jan 01, 2014 02:59:50 pm
      Very considerate of Hamilton to post a picture of himself skiing.....not!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2664: Jan 13, 2014 04:55:19 pm
      RIP John Button.

Thoughts with Jenson and his family.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2665: Jan 13, 2014 05:44:40 pm
      RIP John Button.

Thoughts with Jenson and his family.

RIP John. 

Going to be missed by Jenson who's had his Dad at his side all the way through his career.  So glad he got to see him become World Champion.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2666: Jan 22, 2014 11:38:22 am
      This is nice, very nice.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,326 posts | 4959 
      Reply #2667: Jan 22, 2014 12:26:44 pm

Seen that on you Twitter Racer and a nice car indeed.

I wish I had more time to be able to follow F1 properly as I used to watch it every race without fail but have really lost track over the  last few years.

Quick Reply