Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Best Keeper?

Read 6445 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Best Keeper?
      Jul 26, 2009 10:43:39 pm
      I'm just gonna take, what I'd consider, the best keeper from each decade.

2000s   - Reina
      1990s   - James
      1980s   - Grobbelaar
      1970s   - Clemence
      1960s   - Lawrence
      1950s   - Younger
      pre 50s - Scott/Riley/Hardy

From what I've seen in the flesh it's Reina by a country mile but from the videos/DVDs then it's gotta be Clemo. He commanded his box in such a way that Pepe is still learning. Others may have been more agile but Clemence was by no means a immobile.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: Best Keeper?
      Reply #1: Jul 26, 2009 10:51:13 pm
      Where's Westerveld? ::)

Spot on with the list there. Reina could certainly be up there with the greats if we start winning league titles soon. Hardly his fault we haven't won the league this decade though. ;) He's already had a number of Golden Gloves. Hopefully the next will go alongside the league medal he's awarded.

Got to say I'd take Clemence. Perfection in goal, but Reina is certainly on his way to being held in a similar vein.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Jul 26, 2009 11:11:10 pm
      Can't believe Pegguy Arphexad has been left out ::) :D

I'd go for Reina for the fact that he is beating the records set by Clemence.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #3: Jul 26, 2009 11:29:24 pm
      2000s Defiantly Reina, has the potential to be one of the greats at our club. Though Dudek deserves a special mention for that magical night in Istanbul.

1900s Is a hard one because we didn't have many great keepers after Grobbelaar left in 94. James would probably be the pick of the bunch amoungst Hooper and Fridel.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Jul 27, 2009 09:35:05 am
      Clem hands down.

Pepe is not bad though  ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Jul 27, 2009 09:48:49 am
       It would have to be Ray Clemence for me and Pepe is well on the way to being one of our best.To put a spanner in the works I will say Tommy Lawrence was the best value for money as he did not cost us anything to sign him.All the other goalies post 1960 were bought from other clubs.It was good to see Itandje not get a mention,I presume he was put out with the rubbish.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Jul 27, 2009 11:10:31 am
      IMO I would say Reina, both Clemence and Grobbelaar were fantastic keepers and like Reina playing in front of some very good defenses, what makes me pick Reina is the way footballs have developed over the last decade they are a lot lighter and swerve and dip a lot more than ever before and a keeper has to be much more agile and alert to this than in decades gone by. Its testament to how well Reina is doing going about setting his own records here and going about beating Clemence's quietly but effectively.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #7: Jul 27, 2009 11:27:37 am
      Sorry but Clemence is definitely the best. His was virtually unbeatable at times and I think Pepe has a long way to go before he can be thought about in the same way as Clem.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #8: Jul 27, 2009 12:28:04 pm
      Tough one. Clem was awesome in his day, and Brucie was such a character - and Reina is the best goalkeeper in the premiership at the moment.

Clem just shades it for me from Reina - but Reina still has years ahead of him, and can still improve.
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #9: Jul 27, 2009 01:29:55 pm
      Pepe is right up there for me although Brucie and Clem in my top 3 then Dudek for his great saves in the Champions League 05
      « Last Edit: Jul 27, 2009 01:51:05 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: corrected spelling »
      Tamyka 4 Torres
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 152 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 27, 2009 01:31:41 pm
      I only watched James and Reina so out of the 2 it must be Reina.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,454 posts | 2846 
      Reply #11: Jul 27, 2009 03:26:39 pm
      Clemence for me but Reina is up there.
      Andrew W.
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #12: Jul 27, 2009 05:47:13 pm
      From what i have seen its got to be Reina.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #13: Jul 27, 2009 06:33:17 pm
      I think Reina has the best distribution out of all of them but i think for marshalling of the defence and general legendary-ness it's gotta be Clemence.

Obviously for comedy it's Grobbelaar and for comedy for the wrong reasons it's James :D
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 27, 2009 07:41:10 pm
      Very hard choice between Reina and Clemance as both brilliant  but i would have to pick Clemance for now but that could all change over the next few years.

If Reina keeps on breaking more records he might just end up taking over as my number 1
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #15: Jul 27, 2009 07:46:41 pm
      One the fence with this one between Clemence and Reina , never saw Lawrence play though.
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #16: Jul 27, 2009 08:19:31 pm
      Clemence was absolutely awesome. Bruce will always be remembered and is part of the history books. DUDEK has to be mentioned for me.. obvious reasons .. arguably the greatest night in the history of this football club. He was spot on, no pun intended. I also agree that Pepe has to be right up there with the best. The lad has broken so many records already and is still very young. With time and inevitably more trophies and records.. he may just go down as our greatest of all time.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #17: Jul 27, 2009 10:50:34 pm
      At the moment it has to be Clem amazing shot stopper given time Pepe could get there but will have to play many years at a high level to beat him ,also have to mention Dudek just for no 5 alone thank you .
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #18: Jul 27, 2009 11:01:05 pm
      I Think if in pepe's time at the club we win the premier league and champions league. He would be the best keeper.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #19: Jul 27, 2009 11:48:26 pm
      Clemence was our keeper during my younger days and I didn't think he could be replaced. Then along came Grobbelaar and I think he actually surpassed Clem. Yes, I know he had a few "comedy" moments but don't let that fool you. Brucie was the best shot stopper I have ever seen even going back as far as Gordon Banks. And he commanded his area well enough as I recall. I know one or two of our legends have hinted that they were not as comfortable with Brucie as with Ray but I think that was more to do with personality clashes than ability. For those that paint Clem as "perfect", he did make the odd howler too, just as every keeper does. Also, Bruce never missed a single game for about 5 seasons from his debut if my memory serves correctly, something like 330 games or something. (could be wrong on that but he certainly was reliable).

So, my vote is Bruce just edging Ray with Pepe definitely having the potential to surpass them both but only if he can stay 400 games plus and he still needs to improve just a bit yet, particularly in dominating the box when crosses come in. He still has too many wobbles for my liking in that regard.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #20: Jul 28, 2009 12:53:21 am
      Reckon goalkeeping was a lot easier with the old backpass rule.

I know it's not very trendy to go with a modern player in all these debates but F**k it.  I'd say Reina is probably the best keeper we've ever had.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #21: Jul 28, 2009 01:06:12 am
      I am young so never watched the great Liverpool keepers play. For me all i have seen is James Westerveld (i think his name was) Kirkland Dudek Reina
      Out of them lot theres only one winner in my eyes.

PEPE REINA
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #22: Jul 28, 2009 01:09:52 am
      I am young so never watched the great Liverpool keepers play. For me all i have seen is James Westerveld (i think his name was) Kirkland Dudek Reina
      Out of them lot theres only one winner in my eye

PEPE REINA

Sander Westerveld

Quick Reply