Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Things that swept the playground

Read 13338 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Things that swept the playground
      Jul 27, 2009 06:28:23 pm
      Basically objects/possesions that were popular whilst you were at School - things that everybody felt they had to be in on.

I'll share some ones that I went through at Primary/Secondary School - I expect some people on here around my age will be able to relate to these, obviously there will be a lot of different ones too.

I'm also quite interested to see what things everyone 'had to have' when the older members on here were at School too.

I'll list some of the things from the top of my head - some more might come to me later.

Light-up Yoyo's - No idea really why everybody was obsessed with the idea of owning one of these at primary.

Jawbreakers

Toxic Waste sweets - I remember a 'big' thing in my last years of primary when kids were buying in bulk and selling on in School making a fortune!

Pokemon - I can imagine you will have something to say about this. Bad days they were - when seemingly everything on the yard, football included, halted for these ridiculous playing cards. I never knew how to play the game, I don't think many people did, we just loved to collect them.

Livestrong and Stand Up Speak Up wristbands (amongst others) - We would tell ourselves that we were doing our bit for charity - but let's be honest as kids we wore them to look cool! I remember how hard I tried to get one of those bloody Nike campaign bands, they were just sold out everywhere.
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Re: Things that swept the playground
      Reply #1: Jul 27, 2009 06:38:37 pm
      When i was in Primary school everyone seemed to be mad about Pogs...

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Jul 27, 2009 06:40:23 pm
      When i was in Primary school everyone seemed to be mad about Pogs...

Oh my God pogs! How could I forget them badboys! Then they started to come free in crisps didn't they!

StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #3: Jul 27, 2009 06:41:57 pm
      Pokemon and the livestrong bands went down well in my school. People would pay like 30 quid for a shiny charizard card if I remember correctly. Massive rip off though, used to have to pay 2.50 for a pack! And they were full of s*** ones. It was only lik 50p for football stickers though. But pokemon was class, on gameboy it was immense, pokemon red I had, then I had gold! Great memories.

I remember those bully bands bein advertised on tv too. Idiots like rio ferdinand saying "I was the one you bla bla"

I'll try and think of some more to add.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Jul 27, 2009 06:45:01 pm
      Paper football was one of the main things that swept my middle school.

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #5: Jul 27, 2009 06:45:01 pm
      Pokemon and the livestrong bands went down well in my school. People would pay like 30 quid for a shiny charizard card if I remember correctly. Massive rip off though, used to have to pay 2.50 for a pack! And they were full of s*** ones. It was only lik 50p for football stickers though. But pokemon was class, on gameboy it was immense, pokemon red I had, then I had gold! Great memories.

I remember those bully bands bein advertised on tv too. Idiots like rio ferdinand saying "I was the one you bla bla"

I'll try and think of some more to add.

Haha yeah! Then fake ones started to be introduced - the one's that were just stickers, that you could peel off the card. It was annoying when people tried to swap them for your decent ones pretending that they were better.

The wristbands though, jeesh there were so many. I actually still wear my black and white one to this present day at times.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #6: Jul 27, 2009 06:47:02 pm
      Anyone remember these?

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #7: Jul 27, 2009 06:48:43 pm
      I love this already even if I do say so myself :D

Yeah they were superb! Do they still exist? Haven't seem them around for time. They were another sweet that people were obssessed with.

Oh and these:

My School went through a stage of selling them at one point - went down brilliantly. Then Jamie Oliver syndrome kicked in.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #8: Jul 27, 2009 06:55:51 pm
      Haha yeah! Then fake ones started to be introduced - the one's that were just stickers, that you could peel off the card. It was annoying when people tried to swap them for your decent ones pretending that they were better.

The wristbands though, jeesh there were so many. I actually still wear my black and white one to this present day at times.

:lmao: Ye I remember the fake ones they were pathetic, stupid thing is though hardly any one "battled" with the cards, it was abit pointless tbh. I feel sorry for my parents when I used to ask them to get me some. 2.50 for like 7 cards. The footie stickers were better I reckon, me and me mates used to make teams of them and put em on the table. Then we'd say who'd win in a match! You could put them in the book then. I've still got some stickers and the magazine from the 1998 world cup actually, and it's got players like Taribo west. haha.

I had the racism ones yer, there was alot of variation after the livestrong one. That one was good though, the original like.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #9: Jul 27, 2009 07:07:46 pm
      The most popular item in our school tuck shop all those years ago were...

Some other classics though...

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: Jul 27, 2009 07:37:52 pm
      Sherbet Fountain - brill.

I found it funny how with our tuck shop, when it sold products like Nik Nak's etc it was so popular, must have brought in quite a bit of money. Then when the healthy eating thing came in it was withdrawn after about a month!

:lmao: Ye I remember the fake ones they were pathetic, stupid thing is though hardly any one "battled" with the cards, it was abit pointless tbh. I feel sorry for my parents when I used to ask them to get me some. 2.50 for like 7 cards. The footie stickers were better I reckon, me and me mates used to make teams of them and put em on the table. Then we'd say who'd win in a match! You could put them in the book then. I've still got some stickers and the magazine from the 1998 world cup actually, and it's got players like Taribo west. haha.

I had the racism ones yer, there was alot of variation after the livestrong one. That one was good though, the original like.

Footy stickers were quality but not everybody did those at my school. I remember I went to a 'Swap Shop' in Manchester to finish off the book - think it was 99/00 season.
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #11: Jul 27, 2009 07:44:40 pm
      Girls pretending to be the Spice Girls.. or Boys .. some of the boys did too. Umm Pokemon cards defo.. and POGS.. in juinor school in partcular ..I remember being obsessed. Also like friendship bracelets or bands where if you broke one you had to pay a certain price. YOYO's I remember having a Pro Yo rip off it was!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #12: Jul 27, 2009 08:53:40 pm
      Mustn't forget these:

xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #13: Jul 27, 2009 09:15:31 pm
      I love this already even if I do say so myself :D

Yeah they were superb! Do they still exist? Haven't seem them around for time. They were another sweet that people were obssessed with.

Oh and these:

My School went through a stage of selling them at one point - went down brilliantly. Then Jamie Oliver syndrome kicked in.

Oh i remember Wham bars, they were the business, pink with coloured sugary bits in it, oh yes!
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #14: Jul 27, 2009 09:17:23 pm
      Girls pretending to be the Spice Girls.. or Boys

Sad but true, i was Baby Spice, my best mate was sporty, we used to copy there dance routines...  :D I've said too much...  :f_whistle:
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #15: Jul 27, 2009 09:38:30 pm

I remember playing @ school quite well! it was a serious business though, they say the currency of her Majesty's prisons is sweets, well in that case it was conkers and tips on how to get them rock hard in our school!  One method was to soak them in vinegar for a week (or something similar) crazy days ;D

Does anyone remember the Merlin footy albums? I used to get me dad to buy us a pack when he went Co-Op, Tesco etc for booze and fags! they were like the Pokemon of the nineties with shinys and limited edition galore, however I don't think I ever managed to finish one completely as there was always one or two that were like pure gold :P
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #16: Jul 27, 2009 09:41:50 pm
      Sad but true, I was Baby Spice, my best mate was sporty, we used to copy there dance routines...  :D I've said too much...  :f_whistle:

Naturally i was Ginger Spice ;)
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #17: Jul 27, 2009 09:42:05 pm
      I must say that this thread is to young for me,what ever happened to Bazooka Joe's,Joe 90, Captain Scarlet,bags of gold,Johnny 7's,Action Man,Sticky Lice,little plastic parachute men,fly-away balls,stilts,cans with string,steries(made up go-carts to the younger ones)one knock,may I,catch the girls kiss the girls the list is endless.
      Ya don' know what ya missed.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #18: Jul 27, 2009 10:03:56 pm
      I must say that this thread is to young for me,what ever happened to Bazooka Joe's,Joe 90, Captain Scarlet,bags of gold,Johnny 7's,Action Man,Sticky Lice,little plastic parachute men,fly-away balls,stilts,cans with string,steries(made up go-carts to the younger ones)one knock,may I,catch the girls kiss the girls the list is endless.
      Ya don' know what ya missed.

I remember Captain Scarlet when I was very young. I had an action man and I had loads of those parachute men too. Fly away balls were boss. Talking of that, remember these bad boys?

And these?

Also, games we used to play. Tommy Tomato, British Bulldog, Murder Ball, L-O-N-D-O-N Spells London!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #19: Jul 27, 2009 10:05:37 pm
      British Bulldog - SU-PERB!

We used to do last one onto the yard is it. Just an immense game that was!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: Jul 27, 2009 10:07:28 pm
      British Bulldog - SU-PERB!

We used to do last one onto the yard is it. Just an immense game that was!

Class wasn't it! Did you ever play Murder Ball? That was even more exciting.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #21: Jul 27, 2009 10:08:13 pm
      Class wasn't it! Did you ever play Murder Ball? That was even more exciting.

Remind me :D We might have called it something else!
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #22: Jul 27, 2009 10:12:19 pm
      British Bulldog was called Bulldogs Charge when we were at school.

Murder Ball runs along the lines of everyone beating the crap out of the person with the ball until he gets rid of it doesn't it?

Or i could be very wrong ;D.

Quick Reply