Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Alvaro Arbeloa (Liverpool to Real Madrid)

Read 21312 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Re: Alvaro Arbeloa (Liverpool to R.Madrid)
      Reply #46: Jul 29, 2009 05:53:55 pm
      IMO this just shows his character, has a bust up with Carra, can't hack it, as soon as some competition comes in he's off.

Enjoy the bench.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #47: Jul 29, 2009 05:59:26 pm
      IMO this just shows his character, has a bust up with Carra, can't hack it, as soon as some competition comes in he's off.

If Carra is nearly coming to blows with you for not pulling your weight, it's probably best for all concerned to go elsewhere.  ;)

Tara Arbeloa. Enjoy all the stick you'll get if you pass the ball back to the keeper. Those Real fans will be expecting more than success. You might be best getting an arse groove in that bench and keeping it there.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #48: Jul 29, 2009 06:00:33 pm

I dont think thats the case at all.

Madrid is the club where he started his career and wants to try and do his unfinished business there, (make it into the team).
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #49: Jul 29, 2009 06:04:38 pm
      I dont think thats the case at all.

Madrid is the club where he started his career and wants to try and do his unfinished business there, (make it into the team).
      If he really believes he is going to get into a team like Real Madrid, where if you aren't a massive name, or a bit flash you don't play, then he is F***ing stupid.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #50: Jul 29, 2009 06:12:08 pm
      If he really believes he is going to get into a team like Real Madrid, where if you aren't a massive name, or a bit flash you don't play, then he is f**king stupid.

Well there is a chance of him getting in the team because other than Ramos there is no one else who can play RB and if he gets injured or something then Arby will play.

It's no different to if he had stayed because he would have probably been on the bench more often than not next season because of Johnsons arrival so therefore I think that you slating him the way you are is unjustified. Especially seeing as he gave his all, never asked for more money, never complained and was a cracking signing by Rafa.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #51: Jul 29, 2009 06:19:22 pm
      Well there is a chance of him getting in the team because other than Ramos there is no one else who can play RB and if he gets injured or something then Arby will play.

It's no different to if he had stayed because he would have probably been on the bench more often than not next season because of Johnsons arrival so therefore I think that you slating him the way you are is unjustified. Especially seeing as he gave his all, never asked for more money, never complained and was a cracking signing by Rafa.
      I know that he was a decent signing for us and a good player, however I think way he has left us is a bit annoying, and I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few days he came out saying something to try get Xabi to sign or unsettle him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #52: Jul 29, 2009 06:29:05 pm
      however I think way he has left us is a bit annoying

Why because Rafa accepted an offer when money is very much needed rather than lose him for free next summer.

Either way we were likely to lose him and this way is best because we have gotten money which can help boost Rafa's budget.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #53: Jul 29, 2009 06:46:11 pm
      Why because Rafa accepted an offer when money is very much needed rather than lose him for free next summer.

Either way we were likely to lose him and this way is best because we have gotten money which can help boost Rafa's budget.
      Rafa accepted an offer for Owen when he was here for 8mill from Madrid, when he also had a year left on his contract. Are you saying that deal didn't annoy you just because it had been accepted by Rafa?

3.5mill isn't going to go very far, I'd rather have seen him stay for a year and leave for nothing. Because now we are in exactly the same situation as last year where we have only 1 reconized RB, all we've got now as back-up is Degen, who lets face it has more chance of moving to Madrid for a bonkers fee than ever being fit when we need him.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #54: Jul 29, 2009 06:57:34 pm
      How comes we sell possibly the best right back in the country for £3.5 million and we pay £16 million for a replacement???

I know his contract runs out next year, but for £3.5 million would should have kept hold of him.
      Kopkingo
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 70 posts |
      Reply #55: Jul 29, 2009 07:12:46 pm
      I know that he was a decent signing for us and a good player, however I think way he has left us is a bit annoying, and I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few days he came out saying something to try get Xabi to sign or unsettle him.

You give him too much credit.  He already has said something and he hasn't even signed yet:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5459194,00.html
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #56: Jul 29, 2009 07:15:24 pm
      How comes we sell possibly the best right back in the country for £3.5 million and we pay £16 million for a replacement???

I know his contract runs out next year, but for £3.5 million would should have kept hold of him.

Because basically we would have been giving him a 1 year contract at a cost of 3.5m....not good business.

At the end of the day, the lad wanted to go back to his home country, and in particular Real Madrid, and thats what's happened.  No point crying over it. 

Good luck in Madrid Arby, thanks for all your efforts in the red shirt.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #57: Jul 29, 2009 07:17:25 pm
      Rafa accepted an offer for Owen when he was here for 8mill from Madrid, when he also had a year left on his contract. Are you saying that deal didn't annoy you just because it had been accepted by Rafa?

3.5mill isn't going to go very far, I'd rather have seen him stay for a year and leave for nothing. Because now we are in exactly the same situation as last year where we have only 1 reconized RB, all we've got now as back-up is Degen, who lets face it has more chance of moving to Madrid for a bonkers fee than ever being fit when we need him.

For crying out loud some people need to realise that when a player is entering his last year of contract the team who want him dictate 90% of the deal if the other team is willing to sell.

We need to sign a key player and every bit of money we can raise helps, so saying would have rather seen him leave for free is bollocks.

Also need to get this idea out of some people's heads that there will be no back up at Right back now. Yes Degen has looked a bit dodgy during pre season but no one has really truly shined and he has had a year of injuries so why write him off when he could be good back up. Also there is Carra who can play at RB and Darby has played there a couple of times.

Regarding Owen I couldn't give a sh*t but will answer you. I wasn't too bothered because he hadn't been that good in his last season, we had Baros who at the time was looking good and we also had Cisse. Owen was also replaced because Garcia could play up front.

Finally, we did not pay 16mill for Johnson because Pompey owed us around 7mill anyway and that was included in the deal, we only put about 9 or 10mill into the deal.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #58: Jul 29, 2009 07:42:51 pm
      This is one player i didn't want to leave us just yet but the fact that he has i can only wish him the very best of luck and thanks for the efforts he put in ,i reckon Real have a bargain if they play him ,i'm sure Glen Johnson won't let us down as his replacement and will create chances and score for us
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #59: Jul 29, 2009 07:57:58 pm
      Finally, we did not pay 16mill for Johnson because Pompey owed us around 7mill anyway and that was included in the deal, we only put about 9 or 10mill into the deal.

[/quote]

Why do people keep saying that we didn't pay £16 mil, because we did!!!

Just because only £9 million changed hands, does not mean that he didn't cost £16mil. 

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #60: Jul 29, 2009 08:00:24 pm
      Why do people keep saying that we didn't pay £16 mil, because we did!!!

Just because only £9 million changed hands, does not mean that he didn't cost £16mil.  

No we didn't pay that amount, for god sake how many times?!

They owed us money so they just took the amount they owed us off of the price and seeing as we gave them just around 10mill that therefore means thats all we paid for him. Christ!
      Tamyka 4 Torres
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 152 posts |
      Reply #61: Jul 29, 2009 08:07:25 pm
      We might not have paid at all. Pompey owed us £7m and we got £10m+ for Keane.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #62: Jul 29, 2009 08:08:47 pm

I think that was infact the case actually and that has been mentioned in other threads.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #63: Jul 29, 2009 08:09:42 pm

The Keane, Crouch and Johnson deals are all separate. The Crouch deal is almost valiud, but the Keane deal is nonsense, Keane went to a different club than we got Johnson from. We just used the funds off his transfer to pay for Johnson, but we definitely paid.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #64: Jul 29, 2009 08:11:14 pm
      The Keane, Crouch and Johnson deals are all separate. The Crouch deal is almost valiud, but the Keane deal is nonsense, Keane went to a different club than we got Johnson from. We just used the funds off his transfer to pay for Johnson, but we definitely paid.

Don't think Tamyka 4 Torres meant Keane being part of the deal, just the money from his sale was used for it. :-\
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #65: Jul 29, 2009 08:13:30 pm
      Was never Arbeloa's biggest fan to be honest, didn't think he was a patch on Finnan -when he was at his best- . Think that Johnson will be more than adeqaute replacement. Thought we got stung for only £3.5 mill though, although the lad clearly didn't want to stay.
      Tamyka 4 Torres
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 152 posts |
      Reply #66: Jul 29, 2009 08:13:49 pm
      If that was the case then we would have got Englands #1 RB for free. Well done Rafa.
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #67: Jul 29, 2009 08:15:12 pm
      Surprised he has chosen Madrid over us (5-0) but good luck Arby, I for one have always liked him and I think that he has been great for us in the short time that he has been here. He's a good player but as many have pointed out not irreplaceable. Johnson will add a greater threat going forward and is physically a stronger and quicker player.  I will especially miss his celebrations ..running and diving over the top of everyone. As for the price .. it's not great lets be honest. I feel that he is worth at least 7 or 8 mil but hey ... Real Madrid under paying for our players is no new story. However it is still hard cash and it is still a profit. I'm still convinced that Rafa has someone special in that clever mind of his that he is trying to bring here.. just not too sure who. Well... we'll have to wait and see. On with the Rafalution!    
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #68: Jul 29, 2009 08:16:38 pm
      No we didn't pay that amount, for god sake how many times?!

They owed us money so they just took the amount they owed us off of the price and seeing as we gave them just around 10mill that therefore means thats all we paid for him. Christ!

Firstly you shouldn't use the lords name in vain.

Secondly, despite how much we physically gave them.  Johnson cost £16 million.  The banks would see that Portsmouth owed us money and would allow us to borrow money off that, so we have lost £7million off our budget and added £9million.  Total £16 mil.  If Aston Villa for example bought Johnson they would have to pay £16mil.  So how can you say we only paid £9mil. 

Use the maths.

Quick Reply