Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Billy Liddell

Read 1385 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Billy Liddell
      Aug 01, 2009 09:50:12 am
      I would like to make it known that the late great Billy Liddell did win a league champions medal while playing for the REDS in 1947.I have made a separate thread on this rather than go off topic in D.L.S. goalkeeper thread.It appears that the official site does not mention that Billy did indeed win a league champions medal.Also for any of our younger posters, Billy won 28 caps playing for Scotland,some people might think that was not much but it should be remembered that they did not play so many internationals in those days.Also Billy and Stanley Mathews were the only 2 players to be selected to play against the Rest of the World teams in 1947 and 1955.Another point worth mentioning is Billy probably lost the best years of his footballing life due to the 2nd world war.I just want to set the record straight of one of our best ever clubmen.
      georgeh
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Re: Billy Liddell
      Reply #1: Aug 01, 2009 11:08:52 am
      I heard a lot about Billy Liddell  from my father who used to take me to Anfield when Liverpool were in the second divison. This was in the 1950's probably around 1958 onwards so I'm not sure if he was still playing then.  
      « Last Edit: Aug 01, 2009 11:10:31 am by ayrton77, Reason: Corrected typo »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,118 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2: Aug 01, 2009 02:56:53 pm
      Cheers for that Bill, I think you should be in charge of the official site since you know more about our players than they do.

As for Billy Liddell, what can we say. All the stories from the mid 40s to very early 60s seem to have him in them. Maybe it's an age thing or maybe because we were in the second division for quite a bit of his Liverpool career, but he never seems to get the praise he should. People picking their best XI for Liverpool often leave Billy out but his records stand up against many others.

We wasn't know as Liddellpool for nothing, so the great man obviously had something about him.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Aug 01, 2009 09:46:31 pm
      I heard a lot about Billy Liddell  from my father who used to take me to Anfield when Liverpool were in the second divison. This was in the 1950's probably around 1958 onwards so I'm not sure if he was still playing then. 
      Billy Liddell retired in 1961.

Quick Reply