Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Xabi Alonso (Liverpool -> Bayer Leverkusen - Bundesliga Champions)

Read 183223 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Xabi Alonso (Liverpool -> Real Madrid)
      Reply #115: Aug 25, 2009 06:31:15 am
      AussieRed, I understand. Even I think he should have stayed one more season,give it one more shot and then see what happens but it wasn't meant to be.

I would have loved him to end his career here, to be honest.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #116: Aug 25, 2009 06:41:25 am
      With you Aussie Red, he was a star here. We are missing him so much, we need him. And he just turned his back >:(
      Graniti
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #117: Aug 25, 2009 08:44:21 am
      Still a great player in my eyes. But the Madrid white shirt make him look like a fag!

hahaha  this is  true
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #118: Aug 25, 2009 09:58:30 pm
      Xabi Alonso absence haunts Rafael Benitez
      Given Rafael Benítez’s meticulous attention to detail, it is little wonder that the Liverpool manager is an avowed admirer of Arrigo Sacchi, the legendary former AC Milan coach who once confessed after a 4-0 victory that he “had made two pages of notes on the errors that we had made”.

If Benítez, another of football’s scribblers, made his own list of failings after the 3-1 defeat at home to Aston Villa on Monday night, the chances are that he would have run out of ink.

Page three would be left blank. Not because Benítez had run out of things to say, but because no analysis of Liverpool’s problematic start to the season would be complete without mention of the club’s American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett. As it is, the Spaniard is well aware that further criticism of his employers could place his job in jeopardy, no matter how much frustration he feels at what some view has been insufficient backing in the transfer market since the end of the 2008-09 campaign.

So many problems and — with a tricky assignment away to Bolton Wanderers on Saturday and the impending closure of the transfer window unlikely to be preceded by any significant additions — so little time and opportunity for Benítez to resolve them. How Liverpool got to this point after ending the previous season as the most genuine of contenders to unseat Manchester United is a matter for debate. Certainly, the owners have again been an issue, providing neither sufficient funds nor conspicuous stability in the boardroom.

Some sources at the club insist that Benítez has spent a net £18 million on players this summer, but that figure can be reached only by taking into account the pay rises awarded to Reina, Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt, Daniel Agger and Yossi Benayoun. According to available figures, the Liverpool manager has, at the very least, balanced the books this summer. With a growing feeling that Benítez’s squad reached its potential last season — an appraisal that was laughed off by some when it was made by Sir Alex Ferguson before the new campaign began — the owners’ unwillingness to invest heavily over the summer looks increasingly like a missed opportunity.

But it is those who are missing on the pitch that are hitting Liverpool hardest, with the absence of the three A’s — Xabi Alonso, Alberto Aquilani and Daniel Agger — upsetting the team balance and rhythm. Alonso was Liverpool’s metronome and his departure to Real Madrid was always going to be keenly felt in the short term.

Benítez gambled on Aquilani as his replacement, even though the Italian is injured and is unlikely to return until October, and at present Liverpool’s midfield is failing to function with anything like the same levels of fluency witnessed during Alonso’s time at the club. The situation has been exacerbated by Agger’s back problems because, without the Denmark defender’s ball-playing abilities from the back, Javier Mascherano and Lucas have been guilty of dropping too deep in an attempt to reprise Alonso’s quarterback role, a task that neither is equipped to perform.

With the obvious shortcomings of Benítez’s squad meaning that there is no Plan B to be reverted to when Plan A fails — apart from the underwhelming Ukraine forward, Andriy Voronin, and the desperately disappointing Ryan Babel — it is little wonder that Liverpool’s title credentials are being questioned even though the season is still in its formative stage.

Benayoun, though, firmly believes that Liverpool, despite having lost as many matches in the Barclays Premier League this season as they did throughout all of the previous campaign, have the necessary quality and the time to turn the situation around. “At a club like Liverpool, if you lose two or three games, people will ask if we are strong enough to win the league,” the Israel midfield player said. “But there is still a long way to go, everything can change. We still think we can win the title.”

With 35 games to play, there is little question that Liverpool have time on their side, and it is worth highlighting that United made a similarly inauspicious start last season, collecting only five points from their first four fixtures before going on to beat Benítez’s team to the title.

But when the only silver lining to the clouds gathering over Anfield is provided by the problems of their great rivals from the opposite end of the M62, it is clear just how many problems Liverpool have. BenĂ­tez probably does not have a notebook big enough to cover them all.

The Times
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #119: Sep 01, 2009 10:42:38 pm
      Xabi's new challenge
      Xabi Alonso's big-money move to Real Madrid was a huge disappointment for many Liverpool fans, but he is now seen as a key part of the Real jigsaw as the Bernabeu club bid to conquer Spanish and European football once again.

Revista de La Liga caught up with the Spanish midfielder to discuss his hopes and aspirations ahead of the new campaign.

He told us about his excitement at the challenge that awaits him in La Liga - and he also gave his thoughts on Real's mega-money signings, Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo.

And he also opened up about his decision to leave Liverpool and his relationship with Rafael Benitez - insisting he has known for 12 months that he needed to leave...

ALONSO ON MADRID...
      "It's a massive challenge for me, for the club, for all the players. The expectation is really high, the club has spent massive amounts on new players, bringing new hope to the supporters, and we hope to deliver on that expectation. Madrid have given me a lot of support, they have invested a lot of money to acquire me and that was really important to receive that support from the club. The manager wants an offensive team, he wants me to be a link between defence and attack, he wants me to give the ball to the players around me because the potential is huge."

ALONSO ON KAKA...
      "Kaka's personality on the pitch and off the pitch is similar, he is always happy and trying to make himself available. On the pitch he is technically superb and he always chooses the right option. He is a special player, one of those players who come along every five or 10 years."

ALONSO ON RONALDO...
      "Cristiano Ronaldo is unique in terms of pace, shooting, dribbling. He brings fantastic football to us, as he did at Manchester United, but he's got a big challenge to do as well for Madrid as he did in the Premier League."

ALONSO ON LIVERPOOL...
      "It was a tough call and a very difficult decision for me to leave Liverpool. During my five years I was lucky enough to experience some magical nights at Anfield, to experience the support of the best fans in the world. I will always have them in my mind."

ALONSO ON BENITEZ...
      "There have been a lot of rumours but as I've said before, it was a professional relationship. I have always tried to do what he asked me to do on the pitch. When the birth of my child happened, I had to take a decision to be with my family because it was an important moment. Last summer when the club proposed that I had to be sold to buy new players it was a difficult moment, but I accepted it as a professional. That moment changed my mind, from that moment it was time for a change.

http://www.skysports.com/tv_show/story/0,20144,12385_5530854_12385,00.html

From Revista de la Liga.
      So he was still bitter about the whole Barry incident. Rightly so, IMO. He was being herded out of the club for an inferior player.

And the best fans in the world who loved you, and supported you through all of this, begged and pleaded for you to stay. Thanks very much, Xabi.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #120: Sep 01, 2009 10:44:20 pm
      That just shows last season he played for himself not Liverpool.

c**t.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,379 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #121: Sep 01, 2009 11:37:48 pm
      Rafa made him. He couldn't get over being put up for transfer? He's a pro thats lif in the pro game. Stroppy litte f**k. So basically after 2 or more seasons of below par performances he turned it on because he wanted out!!  Did Rafa do one a year after the yanks went for Klinnsmann? No he stuck it out. Cant understand people siding with a player who jumped ship. HE WANTED OUT
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #122: Sep 01, 2009 11:39:01 pm
      Give it half a season and he will say Madrid have the best fans.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #123: Sep 02, 2009 02:50:56 am
      Give it half a season and he will say Madrid have the best fans.

He could try but after experiencing that night in Istanbul he'd only make himself out to be a liar.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #124: Sep 02, 2009 12:19:33 pm
      Don't get all the negativity in here, just because Xabi left us really..

Even though he was bitter about the whole Barry saga, I'm sure he lifted his head and wanted to prove a point to Rafa - which he certainly did.

I think he's still bitter TBH, he reckons that forced him out of the club - that wasn't wanted. Add to the fact of a new challenge.

I think despite what some of us think of him, I am happy for him to play for another club, that has been his wish and I will respect it. He has also committed 5 good years to LFC so that isn't a bad thing either.

Fair play for him on the Barry saga, though. It must have been an emotionally difficult summer for him back then. But still commited himself to Liverpool and turned in stellar performances. When he could just sulk off the bench for the whole season and not giving us a good shot of the title in the process.

Thanks for everything Xabi. You have been great, just that at the end of the season you're gonna regret on missing out something special.

THE LEAGUE TITLE.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,379 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #125: Sep 02, 2009 01:17:04 pm
      Doesnt play for us anymore so its the last comment Ill make on him

He got the hump because Rafa wanted someone else. How come nobody came in for him at the price the club wanted for him? He was underperforming thats why. Rafa went for Barry as Alonso underperformed for 2 seasons. Last season he plays outstandingly because he got a kick in the arse and low and behold clubs are in for him and off he goes.

Never knew Madrid was so popular with Basques!

Farewell Xabi
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #126: Sep 02, 2009 01:34:29 pm
      Doesnt play for us anymore so its the last comment Ill make on him

He got the hump because Rafa wanted someone else. How come nobody came in for him at the price the club wanted for him? He was underperforming thats why. Rafa went for Barry as Alonso underperformed for 2 seasons. Last season he plays outstandingly because he got a kick in the arse and low and behold clubs are in for him and off he goes.

Never knew Madrid was so popular with Basques!

Farewell Xabi

totally agree.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #127: Sep 03, 2009 04:38:46 am
      Alonso - My mind was made up
      Real ace says club's decision to sell him last year had lasting effect
      Xabi Alonso has revealed that he first came to the conclusion he was ready to leave Liverpool when the club tried to sell him last summer.

The Spaniard spent five successful seasons at Anfield before leaving for Real Madrid in a ÂŁ30million move this summer.

However Reds manager Rafa Benitez tried to offload the 27-year-old 12 months ago to raise money for prospective signings, in particular Gareth Barry.

At the time the former Real Sociedad ace had struggled for form, making just 16 Premier League starts in 2007/08, but an outstanding campaign last time out saw Real lodge their interest.

Despite handing in a transfer request in July, Alonso admits that he had decided to leave the club after they had tried to sell him against his wishes a year earlier.

"It was a very difficult decision for me to make," he told Sky Sports News.

"After five years I have experienced wonderful nights at Anfield, to have experienced the support of probably the best fans in the world.

"That's why I have always been very grateful and I will always have them in my mind and it has been a pleasure.

"Last summer the club proposed me that I might have to be sold to find funds for new players."

"It was a difficult decision or difficult moment to accept that. I accepted that as a professional and that moment probably changed my mind and I thought that maybe from that moment that maybe it was time for a change."

Professional

Alonso has since admitted that his relationship with Benitez deteriorated when he demanded to leave but the Spain international reveals that their relationship was always a professional one.

"There has been a lot of rumours but I have always said that it has been simply a professional relationship," he added.

"I have always tried to do what he asked to do. What he asked of me on the pitch, to do the talking on the pitch, and that's that."
      Xabi

In his defense, loyalty goes both ways.
      Also, if the yanks would have provided money,there would have been no need to sell Xabi to gain funds.
      So, as always, it's the yank's fault!http://
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2009 04:48:58 am by cezar_sl »
      Malaysian Red
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      • Malaysian Reds!
      Reply #128: Sep 03, 2009 04:52:03 am
      So, as always, it's the Yank's fault!

totally agreed! YANKS FAULT! troublemaker!  :f_steam:

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #129: Sep 03, 2009 05:46:28 am
      If Barry came, i have a feeling he would of been sold anyway. Maybe Barry on the left but probably not IMO.

He was sh*t for 2 seasons, he should have seen it in a different light. He was lucky enough to get this second chance and to rebuild his career so why he saw it as a motive to find new surroundings is beyond me.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #130: Sep 03, 2009 07:06:51 am
      If Barry came, I have a feeling he would of been sold anyway. Maybe Barry on the left but probably not IMO.

He was sh*t for 2 seasons, he should have seen it in a different light. He was lucky enough to get this second chance and to rebuild his career so why he saw it as a motive to find new surroundings is beyond me.

My feelings also. I'm honestly sick of the sympathy shown to him, he doesn't deserve it. Yeah, he was shopped around but he had played sh*t! That's what happens in every team! If he plays sh*te at Madrid this season and becomes surplus, the same thing will happen! Fact is, Rafa gave him quality playing time and helped re-invent his image. And then he took off. So screw him >:( I'm still dirty about this :f_steam:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #131: Sep 03, 2009 08:14:26 am
      He wasn't crap in 2006/2007. He had a decent season but he was below par in 2007/2008. That wasn't helped by his recurring injury. As usual, form is temporary and class is permanent.

To be fair to them, Rafa had the right to sell the under-performing Xabi and Xabi had the right to ask for a move even if everyone wants him.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #132: Sep 03, 2009 08:25:38 am
      He wasn't crap in 2006/2007. He had a decent season but he was below par in 2007/2008. That wasn't helped by his recurring injury. As usual, form is temporary and class is permanent.

To be fair to them, Rafa had the right to sell the under-performing Xabi and Xabi had the right to ask for a move even if everyone wants him.

Fair enough, but i feel if you are under contract you should never force any move, leave it totally up to the manager and the club. If you don't like it then maybe you should think about your contract before signing. I just have been left with a very dirty taste in my mouth with all of this.
      Malaysian Red
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      • Malaysian Reds!
      Reply #133: Sep 03, 2009 09:36:36 am
      Gareth Barry is good for NOTHING.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #134: Sep 03, 2009 09:40:07 am

Pfft, come off it.
      Malaysian Red
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      • Malaysian Reds!
      Reply #135: Sep 03, 2009 09:45:54 am
      EY WTF??
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #136: Sep 03, 2009 09:55:36 am
      One of the most solid centre mid's in the Premiership for the past 3 seasons and was the heartbeat of a Villa side that stunned the whole league. Great player...'good for nothing' ::)
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #137: Sep 03, 2009 10:22:07 am
      One of the most solid centre mid's in the Premiership for the past 3 seasons and was the heartbeat of a Villa side that stunned the whole league. Great player...'good for nothing' ::)

I agree, he's looking good at City right now too.

Maybe he would have been a good replacement for Xabi.

Quick Reply