Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Xabi Alonso (Liverpool -> Bayer Leverkusen - Bundesliga Champions)

Read 180995 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: Xabi Alonso (Liverpool -> Real Madrid)
      Reply #92: Aug 10, 2009 04:43:51 am
      Have to say he looked awesome today against DC...ronaldo.
      , kaka and others looked poor. Madrid look so disjointed.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #93: Aug 10, 2009 05:51:29 am
      Why are they groping each other?
      matze1979
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #94: Aug 10, 2009 06:43:32 am
      i hope he will be a main player in madrid, or he makes his comeback here :f_whistle:
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #95: Aug 10, 2009 08:13:10 pm
      I watched Xabi on TV last night (btw, it was strange to see 2 ex-Liverpool players on the white shirt of RM). RM were playing against DC United.

He didn't do much in the first half, didn't even try to move and lose his markers, and he seemed to play very very deep, probably as a defensive midfielder totally. In front of him, there were Sneijder and Granero who played a more attacking role.

He didn't look like the Xabi of LFC for sure because he wasn't involved as much as he used to be, like when he played in Rafa's team. I guess, that was due to the tactics of Pelligrini who perhaps asked him not to go forward too high.

In the second half, he seemed to be more involved in the midfield, receiving and passing the ball like the old Xabi we used to know, after Sneijder was taken off and if I remember correctly, the defensive midfielder role was done by Pepe.

The local commentators seemed not to be that impressed with his contribution in the first half, but in the second half things became a bit better for Xabi. I think, if RM wants to use Xabi as a defensive midfielder behind Sneijder or Granero like he was in the first half last night, I believe it will be very hard for Xabi to excell in that team. He isn't given a license to move forward, he doesn't really move around that much either to start the attack. All balls are mostly sent from the central defenders to full back and then to Sneijder or Granero because Xabi is constantly surrounded by around 3 players. Let's see if Pelligrini can find a solution to his all-stars team.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #96: Aug 10, 2009 08:15:02 pm
      And that's why he'll wish he had ever left us.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #97: Aug 15, 2009 08:52:13 pm
      About to kick off here in Spain - Real Sociedad v Real Madrid.

Real Sociedad are either opening a new ground, or celebrating their centenary (or both). Either way, the papers here are all talking Alonso about it being his homecoming to Sociedad blah blah.

Anyway, going to pain me to watch those two turncoat bas**rds. But I will. Kick off 10pm (9pm UK).
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 824 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #98: Aug 15, 2009 08:55:41 pm
      5minutes to go for me then. Doubt i will watch it thanks for the information anyway JD. Is Alonso starting ?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #99: Aug 15, 2009 10:48:10 pm
      He started and depressingly he played quite well. He'll do allright for them.

They're winning 1-0 at the moment.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #100: Aug 15, 2009 10:51:29 pm
      Who scored? I was hoping he would play like sh*te, realize he shouldn't have gone, and handed in another transfer request :D
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 824 
      Reply #101: Aug 15, 2009 10:54:22 pm
      Very optimistic thinking mate. It doesn't matter to me how he plays the only time it will matter is when we smash their heads in AGAIN in the champions league.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #102: Aug 15, 2009 10:58:17 pm
      Karem Benzema scored the goal, early in the second half.
      Minute 49.

Actually 2-0 now, Sneider got the second.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #103: Aug 22, 2009 05:41:41 pm
      Xabi Alonso:I Will Always Be Grateful To Liverpool

27-year-old says he is happy with life at Madrid.

Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso has told AS that he will always be grateful to Liverpool after learning a lot at the Merseyside club.

Alonso joined Liverpool from Real Sociedad in 2004 and won the Champions League in his first season, scoring Liverpool's equalizer in the memorable final against Milan in Istanbul. During his time at Anfield the Basque midfielder made 199 appearances including two Champions League finals.

"I will always be grateful to Liverpool, it is a very special club. I have learned a lot about the history and philosophy of the club," said Alonso.

"I have grown personally and professionally. The experience helped me to grow on the field, and I learned from the experience of playing in Europe and fighting for titles."

Alonso now looks to the future with Madrid, after making a €34 million switch earlier this month and says he is keen to play and let his ability on the field show his value to his new employers.

He also spoke of hs admiration for similar midfielders like former blanco Fernando Redondo and Pep Guardiola, now manager of rivals Barcelona. Alonso says he learned a lot watching these players.

"Both players made their mark with Madrid and Barcelona. They played in the same position as me and i noted a lot of things they did," he added.

http://talkaloadofbull.com/en-us/news/85/england/2009/08/22/1454151/xabi-alonsoi-will-always-be-grateful-to-liverpool

Sorry for posting from this joke of a site I couldn't find the article they were quoting.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #104: Aug 22, 2009 05:49:12 pm
      Will always love him. Wonder if he checks the papers for Liverpool's results? ;D

And he certainly loves us as he still talks about us. I guess it was a very difficult decision for him? or not..
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #105: Aug 23, 2009 10:10:42 pm
      It was good while it lasted, a truly great player, we'll miss you.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #106: Aug 23, 2009 11:09:45 pm
      Still a great player in my eyes. But the Madrid white shirt make him look like a fag!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #107: Aug 24, 2009 12:35:15 am
      Will always be remebered as a great player and gentleman in my mind.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 824 
      Reply #108: Aug 24, 2009 12:42:08 am
      Handled the way Benitez treated him well and treated the club with respect in my eyes a good professional and hope he succeeds furthermore in his career.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #109: Aug 24, 2009 01:28:04 am
      As much as I love Xabi, I'm still pissed off about why he wanted to leave in the first place. Can't get my head around his decision to want to leave Liverpool Football Club.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #110: Aug 24, 2009 06:42:48 am
      Can't really blame him for wanting to return to Spain after 5 years of playing abroad I guess?

Not only that ,he's got to play with Kaka and he's approaching 30 already. I know I'd rather play with Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      Reply #111: Aug 24, 2009 10:56:46 pm
      Can't really blame him for wanting to return to Spain after 5 years of playing abroad I guess?

Not only that ,he's got to play with Kaka and he's approaching 30 already. I know I'd rather play with Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.

Mate, I do blame him...all I wanted was one more season. We were so close. He's got the rest of his life to back to Spain.

What's so special about playing with Kaka when you have Nando and Stevie to play with?

I miss him.

Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #112: Aug 24, 2009 10:58:03 pm

So do I.  I miss his quality as a footballer, not his loyalty.

Thanks for leaving Xabi, I may as well just call you a money grabbing get.  Hope you have a great time on the bench.
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #113: Aug 24, 2009 11:25:52 pm

Mate, I do blame him...all I wanted was one more season. We were so close. He's got the rest of his life to back to Spain.

What's so special about playing with Kaka when you have Nando and Stevie to play with?

I miss him.

The poor b***ard spent the whole of the summer being whored out everywhere, in pursuit of an inferior player (Barry). I don't know about you, but that would piss me off a bit. Not to say I would leave, but I can see where he's coming from.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      Reply #114: Aug 24, 2009 11:32:45 pm
      The poor b***ard spent the whole of the summer being whored out everywhere, in pursuit of an inferior player (Barry). I don't know about you, but that would piss me off a bit. Not to say I would leave, but I can see where he's coming from.

I totally understand that but when we were so close to winning it, you'd hope he'd want to give it one last shot at a Premier League title for the fans who love(d) him so much and have been craving a Title for toooooo long.

Quick Reply